• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im actually more excited to play this with the new art style. I already played the uprezzed game on dolphin. Everything looks different now and im looking forward to seeing everything. Played the first like a cartoon. Will play the second like a cg movie.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm fine with the artstyle change.

I'm more concerned about finally getting a real Water temple instead of whatever Jabun was, and getting rid of the Triforce hunt. Making sailing more convient. Ramp up the difficulty a bit, like Master Quest. But then it could be the greatest Zelda ever.

Kusagari

Screen1-Large.jpg

iy3yFEfHHcVWY.jpg

Have no idea how anyone can prefer the designs in the new version.

Oneself

New version looks worse imo.

Someone said unreal engine tech demo and thats exactly what I was thinking, someone can import a bunch of shit models and they think the lighting makes everything look amazing when its really just a distraction.

Exact. It looks terrible, really. The game had style, awesome style that is (probably the best use of cell shading ever) but now its prettiness is pretty much gone.

=(

Awesome!! Love this game :) Wii U had a lackluster start, but I don't have any doubts that it'll get some good play. I just hope that actual, straight-up remakes of old games (like this and OoT) don't start taking over the "big news".

Tan

Not sure how I feel about the new artstyle, is the ground so bright it's yellow? Or is that just my colourblindness in action?

There's still time to improve on the style of the HD version before launch, still time to tinker.

Yeah, feeling this way as well.

Keyouta

There's still time to improve on the style of the HD version before launch, still time to tinker.

I'm pretty excited though, hopefully they finish and add in a lot of the cut content.

Hypatia

Wait a minute... Link's eyebrows aren't visible through his hair anymore!!!

Nintendooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good catch :/ Part of WW's charm is how expressive the characters are, that doesn't work as well if their expressions are partially obscured.

It probably seems like a minor change to most people but it's one of the things I loved about the original.

Servbot24

Banned
Just when I was convinced I wouldn't be buying a Wii U.

Looks like they're putting a lot of work into it, hopefully that means new dungeon. :D

An important note regarding the visuals:

Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread so far is the background behind the visuals. Iwata mentioned that the team began Zelda Wii U by going back and bringing previous art styles to HD. They did so with Wind Waker, but in their experiments, what arose was something completely different (Largely in part because of the lighting and effects, I think). In other words, they are aware that this is not just "Wind Waker in HD." It is "Wind Waker with a different art style." Thats not to say people should not be upset if they don't like the change, but rather to give reasoning for the change itself.

I loved Wind Waker's art style. I think I prefer it over this one, but I do still like what I see here. I do however think it is important to realize that the varried art style was created unintentionally, but they did choose to stick with it. What arises is an interesting, different visual take on the Wind Waker universe.
I LOVE the change... cannot wait to see this in motion with all the particle effects I am expecting the Wii U to push so many locations will be so much more awesome... I am also hoping with the vast change in the art they also added new dungeons and made this a very different experience

New version doesn't look as appealing as WW on Dolphin, but I'll hold actual judgment until I see it in person and play around with it. I'm glad they're bringing it to the new console. Along with their other announcements today, they'll have made enough titles to warrant a purchase. Maybe when the price goes down.

Zekes!

I don't think it looks worse per se, but it does look different. Like it's been said it looks almost claymation-y now. Hopefully they do play around with it a little bit more and when they show it again (no doubt at E3) it looks better.

At the same time, if they improve some of the faults of Wind Waker (maybe add in that content that was dropped, etc.) Then I'd definitely buy this either way.

Davey Cakes

It's a change, but I like it and I won't judge fully until we see it in motion anyway.

As Iwata said, this release is for people already familiar with the game, but also a new audience that didn't get to experience it on Gamecube. So it's new for everyone in some way.

The people who want this game to look like the Dolphin version can play it on Dolphin.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There is a certain irony behind the whole thing, we got that video of Zelda looking badass in that clip before the Gamecube came out, everyone was looking forward to this adult Link adventure and then they gave us WindWaker.

Now while WindWaker was very awesome, it wasn't what people wanted or expected at first, now they show us the WiiU and this awesome looking Zelda demo, and the first Zelda HD game we get is WindWaker again, lol.

Wii Tank

Holy shit Nintendo. I didn't see this coming at all, but it looks incredible! I wonder if they'll put any bonus content in it or if it'll just be a straight port. Either way, off screen play is an insta-sell to me

Jarmel

Banned
They definitely toned down the cel-shading. I'm not sure if I like the different style but it does look cleaner and prettier for sure.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This crazy looking game, off TV in the palm of my hands... It will feel organic. I wonder if they'll include touchscreen controls as on DS versions.

Until the fire effects get fixed in Dolphin this will have to be my go to version even if the final game looks like these shots.

Aside from the fire glitches WW Dolphin is ridiculously beautiful. I wonder why Nintendo chose to invest in this kind of visual upgrade when the had such an amazing base game to start with?

well I think it looks great. yes I understand that it looks a bit different at its core, but I'm welcoming that. I dont feel as though character animation will lose any of the expressiveness

Hypatia

The people who want this game to look like the Dolphin version can play it on Dolphin.

I don't want it to be the Dolphin version though. I've already played that.

I want it to have higher res textures, higher res models, higher res enviroments, an orchestrated soundtrack, per pixel lighting, more light sources, more particle effects, more NPCs/Enemies on screen... mostly stuff Dolphin can never do.

I just don't want them to add rim lighting, SSAO and smoother shadow transitions because that completely changes the look of the game.

Which I wouldn't mind so much if they were also changing the texture and model style. Because the art assests in WW were designed around a very specific lighting system.

Changing the lighting system but not the actual underlying art just means it ends up lacking the cohesiveness it once had.

If they're really going to try for a new WW style then they need to change the texture style at the very least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm about as disappointed with this announcement as when I realised Toon Link in Brawl was not cel-shaded despite the fact that his stage looked ripped out straight from The Wind Waker.

There will no doubt be changes to the graphics before launch. The game isn't coming out for another 8 months at least, plenty of time to fix things up. And all the extra content will amount to is an extra dungeon or two if were lucky, so it's not like they are doing a ton content wise. I'm betting the final game will look gorgeous when it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom