• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
MY FAV. ZELDA GAME!!!

yea, get rid of the Gameboy Advance connectivity thing, replace it somehow with GamePad?

the Collectables, ... fix it. just too hard to collect the bosses and such

OMG Gamepad is the new Tingle Tuner

Servbot24

Banned
I wonder if they changed the style simply because the original was so close to perfect graphically speaking, and people surfing the eShop might not notice the update?

I play it on Dolphin though so maybe the SD version is worse than I remember.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Day motherfucking one, bitches.

Hopefully Nintendo will include the extra content they omitted from the Gamcube release.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Holy shit. This was a nice surprise to wake up to.

Hypatia

The overly blue tint is a shame, and I do hope these are just test screenshots as they seem to be. I did a quick photoshop colour balance to get warmer feelings from the image.

I don't have photoshop on this laptop so do you think you could use a colour match to try and make the HD version have the same colour pallet as the original? I'd really love to see that that would look like.

Bread

Banned
oh god dammit nintendo, why you gotta do this to me? i was hoping they'd release it for the 3ds, so I wouldn't have to pay so god damn much. oh well, i guess i'm buying a wiiu when this comes out.

CrisKre

Day 1. Love the more solid look. Its SOLID. My one wish is orchestrated soundtrack now. And the lost dungeons would be cool.

ahdurian

oh god...I just realized...they could use the WiiU gamepad to be the new GBA Tingle Tuner...........
WELP
TIME TO LEARN WW SPEEDRUNNING

Duffyside

Banned
Nintendo made the impossible, they made WW look bad. There's literally nothing good about that screenshot.

You didn't even pick the worst screenshot, in my opinion. But yeah, Zelda's hair green-glow hair isn't so hot either.

Baffled at the people clamoring how good this looks. Are they just reading the text and not looking at the screens?

Hypatia

oh god...I just realized...they could use the WiiU gamepad to be the new GBA Tingle Tuner...........
WELP
TIME TO LEARN WW SPEEDRUNNING

That would be cool, I actually found the Tingle Tuner to be a lot of fun in the original.

Also item switching on the touchscreen! Yay.

Hiltz

I hope they allow us to put the inventory and map on the touchscreen. I have hesitated to replay Wind Waker primarily due to the pacing issues caused by the tedious sailing, but also cause th the Trifore Hunt was annoying. The only other issue I had was going back to using the clunky and sluggish dual analog controls for long-range weaponry. (I'm currently playing through Twilight Princess and the IR pointer still feels way better than using analog). Oh, and I hate those super annoying peahat enemies too. Still, I'll buy the the HD remake cause there's a lot to love about Wind Waker (best visuals, great music, and my favorite story in the series).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo needed to do almost nothing to make this a legit HD version, and they spent massive resources to make it worse.

lolnintendo.gif

Actually they spent zero because it was just a test game for the WiiU Zelda. So they would have had this whether they planned to release it or not. They just happened to have the idea that they could repackage it and sell it a.k.a print money.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't have photoshop on this laptop so do you think you could use a colour match to try and make the HD version have the same colour pallet as the original? I'd really love to see that that would look like.

I second this request, if some photoshop magician can make something to give the hd remake the look of the original it would be much appreciated.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't even care if it's just the same game upgraded. But if they decided to "finish" it like it should have been, I will not cry one damn tear. So, don't feel bad if you decide to put some more dungeons in there, okay, Nintendo? Okay? More dungeons maybe? Okay?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah it's a really divisive game in that regard. I hate fast travel in any big RPG so it was perfect for me. I always tried to plan my routes so I could explore a new island on my way to the next story location. And the ocean itself is still the most impressive execution of large masses of water in games.

WW truly felt like "next-gen" to me in similar sense that SM64 did.
Those are very different things, though.

I also dislike the use of fast travel and avoid engaging it while playing most games with the option. I prefer exploring the terrain and seeing the sights in between points.

I LOVE the concept of sailing in Wind Waker but the actual controls and core design related to using the boat were very tedious for me. Keeping the ocean as is while changing the way the boat works would be a huge improvement in my eyes.

JordanN

Banned
You didn't even pick the worst screenshot, in my opinion. But yeah, Zelda's hair green-glow hair isn't so hot either.

Baffled at the people clamoring how good this looks. Are they just reading the text and not looking at the screens?
Apart from the bloom, this is a huge improvement to me. See this screenshot without it.
itGpZ2QB6a3l0.jpg

I love how they added more shadows and upped the lighting. The original didn't have that.
UPvW7CZ.jpg

JollyWolf

Apart from the bloom, this is a huge improvement to me. See this screenshot without it.

I love how they added more shadows and upped the lighting. The original didn't have that.
UPvW7CZ.jpg

Still look worse. The model are horrible. The style look a million times better in the new one, as well as the color.

heyf00L

The overly blue tint is a shame, and I do hope these are just test screenshots as they seem to be. I did a quick photoshop colour balance to get warmer feelings from the image.

This is realistic. Outside is slightly blue because the primary ambient light source is the sky, which is blue. If you're sitting inside and look out the window, you can tell that things are a little blue. If you're outside for a minute, though, your eyes adjust (white balance). Your eyes will also adjust to playing video games in the same way so after a while, it won't feel blue. But when you exit a building and step outside you'll see the blue, and it will feel more realistic.

JollyWolf

This is realistic. Outside is slightly blue because the primary ambient light source is the sky, which is blue. If you're sitting inside and look out the window, you can tell that things are a little blue. If you're outside for a minute, though, your eyes adjust (white balance). Your eyes will also adjust to playing video games in the same way so after a while, it won't feel blue. But when you exit a building and step outside you'll see the blue, and it will feel more realistic.

Nothing in real life looks that blue. I don't know what world you live in.

DaBoss

Still look worse. The model are horrible. The style look a million times better in the new one, as well as the color.

No way, saying the models are horrible is absolute BS. I think the colors looks much better now. Looking at the screenshots you posted of Windfall makes it seem clear that the color choices have been improved. For me, they just need to reduce the bloom and they got something that looks better than the original.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Woa this looks stunning!! Love the new art style. Though now I feel super guilty I didn't finish Skyward Sword :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom