• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

amr

Banned
They improved the graphics, they reworked the annoying last act, they added new boat upgrades, and they integrated it with the Wii U tablet to make it a proper Wii U game.

If this were just a high-def re-release, I'd sympathize, but yeah, I was expecting $60.

Persona7

Banned
Skyward Sword was on sale not even a week after release at best buy and given away for free if you bought a new wii at Target, I can see retailers dropping this to move units and get people in the stores.

That's pretty high for an HD re-release of a single game, imho. The God of War HD collection includes two games and launched at $40 (same with the ICO/SotC collection). The Metal Gear HD collection launched at $50 but that included three games (five if you want to count MG and MG2). I think $20-30 would be a fairer price.

Dysun

Should be $40 at most, but Nintendo tax is not surprising. Some of their first party titles never drop in price either unfortunately

rockx4

Could've sworn this was confirmed to be 60fps but I guess I might be thinking of A Link Between Worlds. Not that that justifies the pricing either way

But yeah, despite being someone who loves Windwaker and is content starved on the Wii U this was probably always gonna be the one Nintendo title that I was probably passing on for the backhalf unless they're hiding some major new content

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was some major addition to the game that they haven't announced yet to justify the cost, and I would consider purchasing if that was the case.

JordanN

Banned
Eh, this is $50 bucks worthy?
iswWr0qUPjoky.jpg
It's Wind Waker with bloom.

prwxv3

Yep, FFX+X-2 HD is cheaper than this

Also im very hesitant to say this is any way a remake when other hd ports also redid portions of the entire code.

SE is putting some serious effort into that collection too. Same with KH (though not having KH2 is a bit sleazy)

They improved the graphics, they reworked the annoying last act, they added new boat upgrades, and they integrated it with the Wii U tablet to make it a proper Wii U game.

If this were just a high-def re-release, I'd sympathize, but yeah, I was expecting $60.

It is just a high def re-release. Adding some stupid screen gimmick doesn't change that.

Trying to delude yourself into thinking this is like a brand new game. Wow.

Petrae

It's a deal in that Nintendo fans would've gladly paid $60 for this, but it's hard not to look at what Square-Enix is doing with Final Fantasy X/X-2 (Trophy support, additional content, remaster treatment) for $10 less.

Nintendo tax, indeed. But if fans don't mind dropping the cash, all power to them. Nintendo knows it can charge more and that people will pay it. I don't blame them for being opportunistic.

Socreges

Banned
I think the only way I'd pay $50 for this is if they included a Hard mode (right off the bat) or something. WW is an amazing game, but it's too easy and poorly paced (at times).

Could've sworn this was confirmed to be 60fps but I guess I might be thinking of A Link Between Worlds. Not that that justifies the pricing either way

But yeah, despite being someone who loves Windwaker and is content starved on the Wii U this was probably always gonna be the one Nintendo title that I was probably passing on for the backhalf unless they're hiding some major new content

The animations are already in 30fps, so it's not 60fps

Game costs too much. I would probably bite for $30, maybe $40 if I really like what they do with the game (that we haven't seen anyway)

Yawnier

Banned
That's pretty high for an HD re-release of a single game, imho. The God of War HD collection includes two games and launched at $40 (same with the ICO/SotC collection). The Metal Gear HD collection launched at $50 but that included three games (five if you want to count MG and MG2). I think $20-30 would be a fairer price.

That's one thing, I mean I would have zero problem paying $50 if this were for 2 or 3 games re-released in HD in a collecton of sorts (like the MGS collection) but for a single game that is a decade old even if it is my second favorite Zelda title ever, eh.....

Velcro Fly

It's a deal in that Nintendo fans would've gladly paid $60 for this, but it's hard not to look at what Square-Enix is doing with Final Fantasy X/X-2 (Trophy support, additional content, remaster treatment) for $10 less.

Nintendo tax, indeed. But if fans don't mind dropping the cash, all power to them. Nintendo knows it can charge more and that people will pay it. I don't blame them for being opportunistic.

By the same token you have people pitching a fit that Earthbound is $10 while a ton of SE games on the PSN have been $10 for a long time. Neither company can win and people will always find a reason to complain. Even if this game added content including the dungeons that were scrapped people would be whining.

prwxv3

With the way wiiu is selling, it might be on discount by early next year so i can wait.

Actually many times a shit ton of work goes in these hd ports. There is no hd port button

I don't think Nintendo will be able to keep their titles at starting price for years like they did with some of their Wii games. And at 60 dollars it won't work, even mega hits like COD and such don't stay at 60 dollars for years.

amr

Banned
It is just a high def re-release. Adding some stupid screen gimmick doesn't change that.

Yeah, a second screen is a really dumb idea.

That must be why the DS is the best-selling handheld of all time, and why every other demo at E3 this year showed off second-screen functionality.

By the same token you have people pitching a fit that Earthbound is $10 while a ton of SE games on the PSN have been $10 for a long time. Neither company can win and people will always find a reason to complain. Even if this game added content including the dungeons that were scrapped people would be whining.

Ah i see we've entered the people always whine accusations corporate apologists like to throw out

Yeah, a second screen is a really dumb idea.

That must be why the DS is the best-selling handheld of all time, and why every other demo at E3 this year showed off second-screen functionality.

What does this have to do with anything..
Though if they think can sell many copies of the game for $50 then they should do it I guess. There probably is a large group of fans that are starved for content on the Wii U and would also pay a high price for this game.

Just that I personally don't think it's worth it.

And good for them but this attitude some people have that as long as a company can get away with something people shouldnt say anything is disgusting

hamchan

Though if they think can sell many copies of the game for $50 then they should do it I guess. There probably is a large group of fans that are starved for content on the Wii U and would also pay a high price for this game.

Just that I personally don't think it's worth it.

olimpia84

"Stupid screen gimmick". Gotta love people that never played the game nor own a Wii U system.

Released

I think the only way I'd pay $50 for this is if they included a Hard mode (right off the bat) or something. WW is an amazing game, but it's too easy and poorly paced (at times).

Yeah, Wind Waker is entirely too easy. It would be awesome if this included something like the OoT Master Quest.

Then again, there are sale events in the PSN... not mention that one is a SNES game and another is a PS1 game...

Velcro Fly

Ah i see we've entered the people always whine accusations corporate apologists like to throw out

What does this have to do with anything..

And good for them but this attitude some people have that as long as a company can get away with something people shouldnt say anything is disgusting

You obviously missed the part where I said there is plenty to bash Nintendo about but this isn't really it.

A full $50? For a polished re-release of a Gamecube game? Yeesh, that's ridiculous.

I don't know what's worse - the fact that Nintendo actually thinks that's acceptable or all the consumers that are actually willing to get it at that price. This should have been $20, maybe $30 at the absolute most.

Is GAF a joke when talking about Nintendo prices? $399 PS4 + online paywall is somehow OK, but on the other hand the guys keep saying how the Wii U should be $149 and its games $20. ???

You can get the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection for the that price...

For $50 bucks, that game better be the best goddamn reimagining we've seen yet. I'm talking like a top to bottom reworking on that triforce fetch quest kind of overhaul

rockx4

You obviously missed the part where I said there is plenty to bash Nintendo about but this isn't really it.

This is one reason though, they're out of touch with re-release pricing. I filled ever game survey with comments on overpriced VC games, then I saw Earthbound release at $10... $2 more than the normal $8. It was disappointing.

Yawnier

Banned
Is GAF a joke when talking about Nintendo prices? $399 PS4 + online paywall is somehow OK, but on the other hand the guys keep saying how the Wii U should be $149 and its games $20. ???

This GAF person must be cool.

Don't generalize the entire forum, pretty please.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why are people bringing up the DS and PS4?

Why are you doing anything other than comparing this to other HD collections? There's nothing shown so far that makes this stack up to any other, cheaper priced HD collections.

Velcro Fly

Adding gamepad support in no way makes this a remake

And who are you to decide that?

It's my opinion that I'm expressing. I think that no account system is way worse and will cost people more money in the long run than an HD remake priced probably $10 too much.

Top Bottom