• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

It's my opinion that I'm expressing. I think that no account system is way worse and will cost people more money in the long run than an HD remake priced probably $10 too much.

So now people can only voice distaste in the biggest issues? Your opinion is that its priced ok, fine. We can have an argument about that, but lets not whine about others doing the same with their own opinion

Is GAF a joke when talking about Nintendo prices? $399 PS4 + online paywall is somehow OK, but on the other hand the guys keep saying how the Wii U should be $149 and its games $20. ???

First off, which guys are saying which things? You sure they're the same people?

Secondly, people take into account the cost of hardware when determining value. The PS4 is clearly more expensive to produce than a WiiU.

The only other remake anywhere near this scale was, well.. REmake. And that was full price when released. Expecting it to be priced the same as other remakes that just up the resolution and add some AA and filtering is idiotic.

That's not really true. HALO Anniversary was a full remake that even added numerous features. That cost $40. I think that's probably the most appropriate comparison since it's a remake of a game from last-gen on an HD console.

That's not really true. HALO Anniversary was a full remake that even added numerous features. That cost $40. I think that's probably the most appropriate comparison since it's a remake of a game from last-gen on an HD console.

Guys, Wind Waker hd is not a remake, it's a rerelease.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nintendo tax. Only they can get away with it. Juvenile nostalgia can go along way.

That's right. This is a total remake on a level that no other game has done. All other HD collections just hit 'Go HD' button but Nintendo worked tooth and nail on this compared to those others

Duxxy3

That is higher than I would pay for a single game remake. If it was OoT, MM and WW then it would definitely be worth it.

Well, the Halo Anniversary could change between updated and classic graphics in a go, online play, and new maps. So it was not exactly a simple remaster.

Canon

Banned
I pre-ordered this during the 33% off deal at FS, I wonder if they will cancel my order or change the price to even lower? Currently I'm paying $39.

NR1

Wow! I'm surprised this bit of information spurred so much discussion on prices of Nintendo products and HD remakes. LOL!

The way I look at it, $49.99 is a fair price considering three things:

1) It's Zelda. That's reason enough to justify $50. If this were a Game & Wario or NintendoLand type game, then that's another story.We are getting an extensive adventure game, not a bunch of mini games.

2) Most games are being released in the $59.99 range these days, so its really nice when we get a Lego City ($49.99), New Super Luigi U ($19.99 DLC or $29.99 physical) or another game for a nice price cut of $10 or $20, I'm not going to complain.

3) Nintendo games rarely drop in price. Yea, every so often we will get a Metroid Other M or Wii Music, but most of the time we are stuck with games that hold their value. As others have pointed out Wind Waker is not cheap on the 2nd hand market by comparison to other titles released around the same time by other developers. Hell, try finding a reasonably priced copy of Twilight Princess for the GameCube, and that game is easily locatable on the Wii.

When you take into account that Nintendo is putting more than the minimum amount of work needed to get this game into HD, I think $50 is fair. $60 is pushing it. $40 would be a dream, but unrealistic.

amr

Banned
Why are you doing anything other than comparing this to other HD collections?
Can you point to an HD re-release that released for cheaper than $50 that did things akin to (a) improving the graphics beyond cranking up the resolution, (b) reworking parts of the game that were annoying, (c) adding new upgrades to facilitate travel, and (d) integrating it with new technology?

Honest question.

I can think of one that almost meets these criteria, and it's Age of Empires II: HD Edition for PC, which released for $19.99 on Steam, and which price I would attribute to its looking very dated even with some of the touch-ups they did.

The only other remake anywhere near this scale was, well.. REmake. And that was full price when released. Expecting it to be priced the same as other remakes that just up the resolution and add some AA and filtering is idiotic.

Wasn't Resident Evil like, literally remade? From what I have seen WW HD seems to be a standard HD remake affair. Shouldn't be anymore than $40 imo.

Shauni

Just for reference here:

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection collected three games. Two of those were extras filled re-releases, one of them was a handheld title that had never been ported to consoles before, and two of them were newer than Wind Waker. by several years While it was not an up and down remake, a lot of effort was put into the restoration and all of the titles showed that. Original price: $49.99. Just to iterate that: it collected three games.

I know it's kind of the cool thing to bash Nintendo on GAF and all, but seriously, how can anyone really defend them putting out a single decade old game with a few touch-ups for $49.99? If you're going to get it because you're a hardcore fan, understood, and that's fine. I get that. But I don't see how anyone could see it as anything less than a rip-off. $39.99 would be pushing it even.

That's right. This is a total remake on a level that no other game has done. All other HD collections just hit 'Go HD' button but Nintendo worked tooth and nail on this compared to those others
Lol its not true but I get what your saying. 40$ wouldve been cool, but its 50$ now. Nintendo price the games how ever they want was NSMBU worth 60$? Probably not but it has the highest attatch rate on the console. Nintendo dont care.

Halo franchise wasn't around in the 80s. The emotional attachment isn't quite there yet. Give MS about 15-20 more years.

Velcro Fly

Just for reference here:

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection collected three games. Two of those were extras filled re-releases, one of them was a handheld title that had never been ported to consoles before, and two of them were newer than Wind Waker. by several years While it was not an up and down remake, a lot of effort was put into the restoration and all of the titles showed that. Original price: $49.99. Just to iterate that: it collected three games.

I know it's kind of the cool thing to bash Nintendo on GAF and all, but seriously, how can anyone really defend them putting out a single decade old game with a few touch-ups for $49.99? If you're going to get it because you're a hardcore fan, understood, and that's fine. I get that. But I don't see how anyone could see it as anything less than a rip-off. $39.99 would be pushing it even.

People assume that an HD remake or collection will be bought 100% by people who already played the game. If the game is new to you, $50 is fine. I thought it would end up at $40 personally but $50 isn't the end of the world.

Well, the Halo Anniversary could change between updated and classic graphics in a go, online play, and new maps. So it was not exactly a simple remaster.

I wasn't saying that it was. borghe said that it was idiotic to expect this to cost the same as remaster since REmake was full price and it was the only other example of a game on the scale of WW. I pointed out that it wasn't true because HALO Anniversary was a full remake of the original with new content and they still only charged $40 for it.

The RE remake on the GC was actually a remake, it was done from the ground up. It wasn't a port and no assets from the original PSX version were in that game.

You know what tho, if they got around to releasing a good GC game in HD like Melee, with great online capabilities, you bet your ass I'd pay $50 bucks for it, fuck Smash 4

Wow! I'm surprised this bit of information spurred so much discussion on prices of Nintendo products and HD remakes. LOL!

1) It's Zelda. That's reason enough to justify $50. If this were a Game & Wario or NintendoLand type game, then that's another story.We are getting an extensive adventure game, not a bunch of mini games.

WTF?
(Zelda is one of my favorite franchises, so it is MGS... You know what is the price of the Legacy Collection?)

2) Most games are being released in the $59.99 range these days, so its really nice when we get a Lego City ($49.99), New Super Luigi U ($19.99 DLC or $29.99 physical) or another game for a nice price cut of $10 or $20, I'm not going to complain.

Wah
(Is not a 'New' game, that is the problem,)

3) Nintendo games rarely drop in price. Yea, every so often we will get a Metroid Other M or Wii Music, but most of the time we are stuck with games that hold their value. As others have pointed out Wind Waker is not cheap on the 2nd hand market by comparison to other titles released around the same time by other developers. Hell, try finding a reasonably priced copy of Twilight Princess for the GameCube, and that game is easily locatable on the Wii.

When you take into account that Nintendo is putting more than the minimum amount of work needed to get this game into HD, I think $50 is fair. $60 is pushing it. $40 would be a dream, but unrealistic.

That is not a valid excuse, like at all...

Shauni

People assume that an HD remake or collection will be bought 100% by people who already played the game. If the game is new to you, $50 is fine. I thought it would end up at $40 personally but $50 isn't the end of the world.

You can make that argument for any HD collection, and my reply is "Yeah, and so what?" That really isn't the point, is it? Still a decade old game with a little new shine, and a few new features, for far too much.

totowhoa

Banned
Ouch. Might get anyway since I haven't beat it since release but I really hope there's some special stuff or a higher difficulty :/ love the new assets but I'm gonna have to have something extra to jump in at that price point.

Was expecting it at least.

javac

Yes and thankfully most companies havent been greedy enough to do it

At the end of the day for Nintendo this is a novelty. They don't usually do remakes so when they do you'd expect it to be priced a fair bit more than others. You won't get piss poor performance like ZOE HD or MGS 3DS either. They seem to treat it as a big release. And I'd hazard a guess that it'd be the same situation even if the Wii U was bombarded with titles.

I'm pretty sure OoT and Starfox 64 on the 3DS was the same situation. And knowing Nintendo games it'll most likely not drop in price.

I didn't even expect it to be less than the regular price. It's a high quality game with hours of fun. I never really played Wind Waker so it'll be a new experience for me. One I'll happily pay £30 for. Maybe if I'd already played it I'd not bother with it because you know...I'd play it on my GCN.

Mory Dunz

People really expected it to be like $20-30? 50 is a good price.

-Nintendo doesn't lower prices of their main games much.
-It's Zelda.
-They want to make money
-They a few changes
-The other one came out 10+ Years ago. It can be argued a portion of the audience will be "new" so it can be seen as a new game.

GC WW didn't sell like 15-20 million, so it's not like everyone and their mom knows about it, considering how long ago it was released.

Shauni

At the end of the day for Nintendo this is a novelty. They don't usually do remakes so when they do you'd expect it to be priced a fair bit more than others. You won't get piss poor performance like ZOE HD or MGS 3DS either. They seem to treat it as a big release. And I'd hazard a guess that it'd be the same situation even if the Wii U was bombarded with titles.

I'm pretty sure OoT and Starfox 64 on the 3DS was the same situation. And knowing Nintendo games it'll most likely not drop in price.

I didn't even expect it to be less than the regular price. It's a high quality game with hours of fun. I never really played Wind Waker so it'll be a new experience for me. One I'll happily pay £30 for. Maybe if I'd already played it I'd not bother with it because you know...I'd play it on my GCN.

They don't? Seems like they've been doing them quite a lot lately.

Yawnier

Banned

I'm curious here, just how is $40 a dream and unrealistic when the vast majority of HD re-releases and remakes are at that pricepoint or even lower at times (Ratchet Collection comes to mind at $30), and at times carry numerous games with it (two to four at times) and not just one? Is it just because "Nintendo is Nintendo" or is there another reason as to exactly why?

Yeah Wind Waker HD is exactly like Microsoft's anniversary series (see Fable). Basically the same gameplay and levels but completely redone graphics. Comparing it to regular HD collections is a false equivalency.

I'm glad its not $60 anymore. The correct price should be $40 like Halo Anniversary but it's the Nintendo tax. I'll wait for a price drop anyway. I beat it within the last five years and its one of my least favorite Zeldas.

prwxv3

People really expected it to be like $20-30? 50 is a good price.

-Nintendo doesn't lower prices of their main games much.
-It's Zelda.
-They want to make money
-The other one came out 10+ Years ago. It can be argued a portion of the audience will be "new" so it can be seen as a new game.

GC WW didn't sell like 15-20 million, so it's not like everyone and their mom knows about it, considering how long ago it was released.

What. I guess all the ps3/360 hd remastered should have been 50 bucks too.

Top Bottom