• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

Aaaaand we're back in 2001.

Nintendo has faked us out 3 times now. Teasing a realistic Zelda, and going the other way with a cel shaded look. Did it with Wind Waker and kind of again for Skyward Sword. This new style looks absolutely GORGEOUS. I have no doubt it will look absolutely incredible. It already seems to rival and surpass many next gen games. But I still wanted to see the e3 2011 Tech Demo style. That could have been amazing as well. And I feel like that art style would have made the game a much bigger seller on Wii U than the current one.

SoilBreak

Banned
What I wanted.

faketvcqe.gif

What I got.

real07uo2.gif

*sigh*

Works for me!

Akainu

Geez it looked a lot better zoomed out when I couldn't see anything. Up close it's really ugly.

Open world should be nice thought.

Awwww yissss, second looks so much better!

Yup. I would have been very happy with the 2011 demo art-style, but the look that they've opted to go with blows it out of the park. It's exactly what I wanted, I just didn't know it until I saw it today.

Jado

Banned
I find that theres so much more life to the current artstyle compared to the tech demo. The tech demo looked pretty nice but seemed a bit bland.

I prefer the new art style. Twlight Princess Link has a muddy, dull design; it's basic highlight is "wow realistic!" People seem to look back more fondly on WW Link than TP Link (with good reason), so let's not forget the past so quickly. I think this can/will turn out better than the tech demo.

LCGeek

formerly sane
People debating resolutions should consider the fact that thanks to an art style like this, the character models won't use as many polygons as photorealistic. Just take into account. Curious to hear about whether or not they're prioritizing 60fps with this like in Mario Kart or LBW.

I'm usually a whore for fps couldn't give a crap about it after the reveal. If nintendo can nail fps with these effects resolution anything else is just icing on the cake things are already much better than what I expected.

the lighting and a particle details are really a step above a lot of other things power be damned this is how you do cell shading.

Why are people upset? Windwaker on GameCube looks better than the last two Zeldas IMO. Also a cell shaded zelda will hold up way better against other games on the Xbox one and PlayStation four that come out in 2015/2016. Hasn't Zelda out been cartoonlike anyhow. As someone who's been playing the series since it was first released when I was a kid, this looks like the best game visually and someone posted earlier does look like the cartoons drawn on the original Zelda instruction manual. Very excited!

DedValve

Banned
I love the wind waker look to it but I was honestly hoping for an even more radical design. Like watercolor or something as crazy as the original WW.

Yup. I would have been very happy with the 2011 demo art-style, but the look that they've opted to go with blows it out of the park. It's exactly what I wanted, I just didn't know it until I saw it today.

Agreed, I'm glad it's its own thing. It kind of reminds me of Kameo except it's much better looking.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
except Nintendo tends to put out press screenshots at native resolution

IIRC, the first MK8 screens where 1080p as well, but I could be wrong.

In any case, given that all other Nintendo games with arguably less impressive visuals run at 720p, and given that the Wii U with its 32MB EDRAM has the same framebuffer issues as the Xbox One (or even worse, since its bandwidth to main memory is very small), I don't see how they would pull that off. Wind Waker HD is the exception, but that is a GC-game with just some sugar-coating.

I just hope for a stable framerate. The visuals are very stunning nonetheless.

I also like the artstyle more than the one from the tech demo. That was also cool, but a bit too "plasticy".

Tookay

Nintendo has faked us out 3 times now. Teasing a realistic Zelda, and going the other way with a cel shaded look. Did it with Wind Waker and kind of again for Skyward Sword. This new style looks absolutely GORGEOUS. I have no doubt it will look absolutely incredible. It already seems to rival and surpass many next gen games. But I still wanted to see the e3 2011 Tech Demo style. That could have been amazing as well. And I feel like that art style would have made the game a much bigger seller on Wii U than the current one.

They didn't fake us out any of those times though.

Fans faked themselves out.

Ryoku

While I don't think native 1080p is out of the question, I do think that native 1080p, along with the image quality of the press screens, is certainly out of the question. They're clearly downsampled--bullshots.

Regardless, I'm left speechless. It looks absolutely, mind-numbingly amazing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No question Link is female, which I think is awesome.

Link is not female in this game. He's just an androgynous elf boy the same as he always was.

He's a bit more slender in this game, that's all.

About time Zelda took some inspiration from Zelda, the game that came out nearly a decade before the first Elder Scrolls game.

Thank you, sir. When I saw the "open world" description, I rolled my eyes. Better to say it's going to be a normal or old school Zelda game.

If people want to credit Skyrim, or even if Aonuma does, whatever. To me this is just Zelda being Zelda.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wasnt there for the huge Cellda controversy, but this must be how it was, although worse

"Celda" was sheer insanity. This is tame by comparison. Problem with Celda was:

1. the concept of 'toon shading' was still almost unknown so the first reaction of many people was to think they were looking at primitive PS1 flat shaded polygons. With no textures. That Wind Waker is actually technically very advanced was lost due to the "PS1" look.

2. we were on the cusp of "now my games are grown up because real voices and movies and did you see the CG in Final Fantasy X." A whimsical cartoon version of Zelda was like acid poured into the eyes of those who had a desperate aversion to "kiddy". Between the era and the Spaceworld demo, the assumption was that a new Zelda would be realistic, grown up for big boys, and show off hot new technology.

People are far friendlier to an animated look today if only due to exposure in gaming and animation being cool again for cool dudes in the west. Thanks to Adult Swim, Pixar, Cartoon Network, etc.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't care about the graphics. Just make the game faster. Give me a ALBW in 3D. Start fast and action, action, action.

No more relying on fetch quests, either.

Top Bottom