• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

I never thought I would need to buy a nintendo wii U.... FUCK!

I have loved the zelda games since a young kid and it has always been my favourite game series. I never bothered with the handheld ones and for some reason I found skywards swords boring and never bothered with it.

This one does however look like they are back on the right track ones again!

Holy TITS I will be getting a Nintendo wii U for this !

And Gamescom 2014?

I'm sorry my friend, but you're just gonna have to wait until later this year or 2015. It sucks, but that's just how it is.
ShockingAlberto made a good point about maybe getting a teaser in the Hyrule Warriors Direct, which seems plausible.
That's the best we can all hope for at the moment.

I'm sorry my friend, but you're just gonna have to wait until later this year or 2015. It sucks, but that's just how it is.
ShockingAlberto made a good point about maybe getting a teaser in the Hyrule Warriors Direct, which seems plausible.
That's the best we can all hope for at the moment.

Yeah unfortunately nintendo is going to be nintendo. However I would think Nintendo would market the shit out of Zelda for Wii U, seeing how bad the sales have been for Wii U. This game is a system seller if I ever saw one.

Could that transforming arrowhead double as a sword hilt for some kind of lightsabre sword and other items? Looks like he has a quiver of normal arrows and a separate one with that big thing on the end.

greenteaa

Neo Member
Could that transforming arrowhead double as a sword hilt for some kind of lightsabre sword and other items? Looks like he has a quiver of normal arrows and a separate one with that big thing on the end.
arrow-2.gif

It kind of looks as though the blue blade that comes out of the mechanism is actually a hologram, not a physical object.
Some people have speculated that the blue material may be the same as the Timeshift stones in Skyward Sword (which the ocarina of time itself was made out of). It would be interesting to see how this mechanic could be used in a weapon- maybe using it to send enemies back in time ?

Idea for open world concept of Zelda U.

Since you can go everywhere it seems to be possible to go to a area, complete the area (done every sidequest and dungeon) and never come back. How about something like that:

After you entered a certain point of the map, a villager in village X (village X is in the area you had done) gets extremly ill and his family can't get out to get him medicine. So if you go in village X the quest will start he says he is extremly ill to you and he wants medicine otherwise he will die. You have a certain amount of time to get him medicine. He says to you his friend told him the medicine is slime droplets so you have to defeat the slime and get him that medicine. Now you have two options: Do nothing-> he will die and his family will be very, very sad similar to Majoras Mask and a consequence will follow. Or you help him. If you helped him, he will give you 150 Rupees. So the thing his, he mails his friend in village Y (area you are new) that you rescued him from dying. When you appear in village Y he will know you and another sidequest is start. The consequence from doing nothing would be that the sidequest won't start because the villager didn't mailed him. So after you had done the unique sidequst from the villager's friend he will reward you with something special (heart container, new item etc)

How do you like that idea? It gives the game depth and it avoids that the area is completely done so you can get back to that area with new thing to explore and to do so the area will never become unecessary until the game's very end.

Golnei

arrow-2.gif

It kind of looks as though the blue blade that comes out of the mechanism is actually a hologram, not a physical object.
Some people have speculated that the blue material may be the same as the Timeshift stones in Skyward Sword (which the ocarina of time itself was made out of). It would be interesting to see how this mechanic could be used in a weapon- maybe using it to send enemies back in time ?

It actually looks like a gas flame to me. Perhaps you can use it for cooking minigames?

Jackano

Even Hyrule Warriors direct is too close for new ontent on Zelda U.
HW release Aug. 14th in Japan, and Sept. 19-26 in EU-NA.

I think next update will be in January Direct, period.

Unsure if I'll do a blackout with this one, I did with Twilight Princess and it was amazing to go in knowing nothing. Skyward Sword's trailer showed a bit too much, but was still fun.

Marlowe89

Hopefully this is a reasonable expectation, but I really hope we get an increased variety in terrain this time. I don't want the overworld to be filled with just the same worn-out scheme of grasslands/forests, fire mountains and deserts. They're okay, but I think we're long due for more kinds of environments on top of the norm.

Heroman

Banned

Since you can go everywhere it seems to be possible to go to a area, complete the area (done every sidequest and dungeon) and never come back. How about something like that:

After you entered a certain point of the map, a villager in village X (village X is in the area you had done) gets extremly ill and his family can't get out to get him medicine. So if you go in village X the quest will start he says he is extremly ill to you and he wants medicine otherwise he will die. You have a certain amount of time to get him medicine. He says to you his friend told him the medicine is slime droplets so you have to defeat the slime and get him that medicine. Now you have two options: Do nothing-> he will die and his family will be very, very sad similar to Majoras Mask and a consequence will follow. Or you help him. If you helped him, he will give you 150 Rupees. So the thing his, he mails his friend in village Y (area you are new) that you rescued him from dying. When you appear in village Y he will know you and another sidequest is start. The consequence from doing nothing would be that the sidequest won't start because the villager didn't mailed him. So after you had done the unique sidequst from the villager's friend he will reward you with something special (heart container, new item etc)

How do you like that idea? It gives the game depth and it avoids that the area is completely done so you can get back to that area with new thing to explore and to do so the area will never become unecessary until the game's very end.

I think you wont be able to complete area like that . It will probably open a new part after you do something in the story like Tp and SS

Pretty basic quest line, reminds me of something from Dark Souls. Like in number 2 how you can SPOILERS
start Creighton and Pete's separate side quests, and as they continue it ultimately boils down to a fight between the two with you deciding who lives.
Seems like an easy enough way to add some depth to quest lines while making it feel like each side quest has importance in the world and for continuing the story.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man, people CAN still get excited as hell for Zelda.

Both IGN and GameSpot gave Zelda Wii U the top spot on their "Top 5 Biggest News from E3" lists.

Both IGN and GameSpot gave Zelda Wii U the top spot on their "Top 5 Biggest News from E3" lists.

Well Skyward Sword and ALBW are 90+ games on Metacritic and GameRankings .
:p
Despite what some people on GAF may say about those two games, it makes sense that people would be excited about the next entry in a critically acclaimed franchise.

balgajo

Two of my friends didn't play any Zelda since Twilight Princess(almost 8 years) and now they want to buy the new Zelda after the reveal trailer. I think that most people know about the existence of Zelda(and it's quality) and wait for a entry that attract them to jump in.

Link making that cool move when you press A just after killing an enemy is another thing that I want for the new Zelda.
Silly, but really cool imo. XD
twilight_princess___mortal_draw_by_shad0w8-d4zq5se.gif

Confession time GAF!
I've not played any console Zelda games.
I've played and completed Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and found them both fairly average and repetitive.
Where the hell do I start with console Zelda?

Hermii

Confession time GAF!
I've played and completed Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and found them both fairly average and repetitive.

Ocarina of time 3d maybe.

It really doesnt matter, you can start with all of them.

Highwind

Confession time GAF!

A Link to the Past is a good place to start imo. :)

Then you can move onto Ocarina of Time 3D, followed by Majora's Mask.

I also highly recommend Link's Awakening and the two Oracle games, along with A Link Between Worlds.

StuBurns

Banned
I think Wind Waker is the best place to start. It's the best looking, and it's the easiest to get if you have a Wii U.

OoT is kind of the default classic.
MM is the strange, stressful, genius peak.
WW is the middle of the pack, with a tad too much tedium.
TP has the best dungeon design, but a really boring connecting world.
I hated what I played of SS.

Levyne

Banned
Confession time GAF!

Wow, you chose a pretty bad (subpar) set of games to start out.

If you have a 3DS I'd definitely make OOT 3D a priority. If you don't like that, give up on the series :p

And then you can play MM 3D when it releases next year (hopefully)

Confession time GAF!

If you didn't like Spirit Track's dungeons or The Spirit Tower(Basically the puzzle design), I don't know if you'll like any Zelda game.
:/
It's basically the console games with a train.

Jintor

I'm actually a big fan of Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass... probably because they were also the first Zeldas I've played :p

I've since branched out more, but I still need to finish... well, most of them, really

I'm actually a big fan of Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass... probably because they were also the first Zeldas I've played :p

I've since branched out more, but I still need to finish... well, most of them, really

Despite it's flaws I think Phantom Hourglass is a very well made game, and I'm with you on being a big fan of Spirit Tracks. That game was a total gem. The Spirit Tower puzzles with the phantom were amazingly designed(I'm so happy that the phantom is one of Zelda's attacks in the new Smash Bros. game!)

Penguin

Confession time GAF!

Oh you poor thing!
:(

I think Wind Waker may be the most accessible console Zelda game... assuming you aren't talking like old school then A Link to the Past is a good place to start

Joqu

Nah, I'm a big fan of em too and my first Zelda game was Link's Awakening. But hey I also heavily dislike The Minish Cap and really enjoyed Skyward Sword so I seem to be an outlier around these parts. ;P

RooMHM

Just rewatched the teaser. The enormous about of bloom is disgusting. Looks like they learned nothing from the WW remake...

Woffls

Just rewatched the teaser. The enormous about of bloom is disgusting. Looks like they learned nothing from the WW remake...
I thought the Wind Waker remake had a perfectly suitable amount of bloom...

This trailer was probably set at sunrise, so the amount of bloom is going to be quite significant. Apparently this happens in real life as well but I never wake up early enough to test it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that the lighting, bloom included, is part of the reasons why it looks so gorgeous.
hope they will not tone it down

I think Wind Waker is the best place to start. It's the best looking, and it's the easiest to get if you have a Wii U.

OoT is kind of the default classic.
MM is the strange, stressful, genius peak.
WW is the middle of the pack, with a tad too much tedium.
TP has the best dungeon design, but a really boring connecting world.
I hated what I played of SS.

Is it that bad?

I'm erring towards OoT and MM at the moment.

Asbear

Banned
Confession time GAF!

Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time (3D or Original) are the best by far IMO. (Personally I really love Majora's Mask but it can be hard to get into especially if you're not already a fan... I think)

Levyne

Banned
I didn't care for SS much at all, but I still liked it better than the DS titles. I don't want to just add a list to a growing number of lists, but I'll just say I can probably name 4-7 Zelda titles I'd re-play before SS again.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Confession time GAF!

Play the 3D ones in the order they were released.

StuBurns

Banned
Is it that bad?

They all have kind of rough opening hours to be fair, SS just has the worst, and I really didn't like the controls at all. I'm sure if I'd have given it ten or more hours I'd have got into it, so I can't really say it's bad as a whole, but the first five or six hours were really bad.

Is it that bad?

Well it's all subjective, but I think SS is a fantastic entry in the series.
The puzzles are intricately designed in both the overworld and dungeons. The stuff you do in the Lanayru Dessert area is pure genius. They really play with your expectations in the dungeons you find there.
The game also has amazing music, a beautiful timeless art style(right up there with WW), well directed cut scenes, and some of the best story telling a Zelda game has ever had(Don't expect oscar worthy TLOU type stuff though)

Edit:
Play the 3D ones in the order they were released.
This is a good idea btw.

They all have kind of rough opening hours to be fair, SS just has the worst, and I really didn't like the controls at all. I'm sure if I'd have given it ten or more hours I'd have got into it, so I can't really say it's bad as a whole, but the first five or six hours were really bad.

I loved SS but I can't deny this, even for a Zelda game it starts out way too slow. Dungeons are some of my favorite in the series though(after the shitty first one and mediocre second one).

Top Bottom