• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda WiiU "confirmed" for 2016. Wolf Link amiibo compatible.

KooopaKid

Banned
Grass post

I agree with you but Flower's grass on PS3 was great too.

8.jpg

Remember the entrance to the temple of wind, where you had to equip the boots to progress? The grass was bending to the wind there. The blast of an explosion made the grass "flatten" too if I remember correctly.

Even if the tech was the same (it's not), Zelda U is still more impressive if only because of the scale of which the gameworld is rendered while still animating the grass blades.

Anyway, in Zelda U, the grass blades have more points of animation and are individually animated. There is also dynamic wind simulation to bring out the animation. In Wind Waker, the grass animation was completely canned when blown by the wind. In Zelda U, the grass animation is physics based when blown by the wind.

KHlover

Banned
Finally a good gif!

Nitpicking: The swamp doesn't look like a swamp, is sparse.

My uncle, who works at Nintendo, told be all the dungeons were completed. j/k.

We have to realize that Nintendo has 2 games to make here, a huge open-world game, and intricately designed linear dungeons underground. Most open-worlds do only the former.

Yup. The one thing I miss in Witcher 3. Proper dungeons. None of the Elven or Mage 'dungeons' have come close to even the worst Zelda dungeons :S

KooopaKid

Banned
Even if the tech was the same (it's not), Zelda U is still more impressive if only because of the scale of which the gameworld is rendered while still animating the grass blades.

Anyway, in Zelda U, the grass blades have more points of animation and are individually animated. There is also dynamic wind simulation to bring out the animation. In Wind Waker, the grass animation was completely canned when blown by the wind. In Zelda U, the grass animation is physics based when blown by the wind.

Probably! I agree Zelda U's grass is the most impressive I've seen yet.

So, this game absolutely must have a fully orchestrated OST right? Actual orchestra? It's a lock. With all the symphony of the goddess stuff in recent years and the better tech...

the tiny pieces of audio we heard at the game awards last year, could anyone sus it out? was there any midi? It probably wouldve been placeholder stuff if so, right?

I agree with you but Flower's grass on PS3 was great too.

8.jpg

It was great, but that was pretty much the environment: the grass. The point is that Zelda U's grass is in an open world game full of other structures, and animates flora and fauna, and all of it is individually and dynamically animated. Huge difference between the two games.

Heroman

Banned
So, this game absolutely must have a fully orchestrated OST right? Actual orchestra? It's a lock. With all the symphony of the goddess stuff in recent years and the better tech...

the tiny pieces of audio we heard at the game awards last year, could anyone sus it out? was there any midi? It probably wouldve been placeholder stuff if so, right?

We can expect what SS got, which was mostly orchestrated stuff IIRC , but do expect some midi in the game.

Great post.

Lighting is different in the sense that the reveal trailer and the 5 second teaser from yesterday take place in two different times of the day. Lighting quality is the same.

Textures aren't computationally heavy and there's nothing simple in what is being shown in Zelda U.

If by art style you mean GI for the sun, advanced shaders, an incredible amount of (great looking) grass that reacts to wind and explosions, advanced hair tech for Link and Epona, self-shadowing everywhere, full res particles, incredible animations etc in an open world game, then yes. It's all art style.

/s
Thats exactly what I freaking meant

Rodin

Yep. Impressive stuff, i was wondering if they used GPGPU to achieve this. Anyway i still think Crysis 3 has better grass tech than Zelda, although that game has "open areas" and it's not an open world.

Thats exactly what I freaking meant

Oh i wasn't implying you said anything different than that, just reinforcing your statement for those who were saying "downgrade".

sinxtanx

The grass strikes me as more "physics" than physics. If I had to guess, I'd say blades are rendered along the surface of simple meshes (using color information in the vertices to determine length/flowers) taking into consideration positions+speed of actor objects and noise algorithms for generic wiggle and wind swaying. Much faster than actual physics with awesome results.

Yep. Impressive stuff, i was wondering if they used GPGPU to achieve this. Anyway i still think Crysis 3 has better grass tech than Zelda, although that game has "open areas" and it's not an open world.

deffo

A large portion of Skyward Sword's soundtrack was orchestrated, so I would expect the same for this game.

wtsfox

Neo Member
Hi,

Just a question.
When I saw 'link' sitting on the horse at the end of the 5 second teaser I immediately taught on wow that is Zelda sitting there. Could it be that maybe in a twisted world that you now play Zelda who is rescuing link. Or could it be linkle.

thx

Riki

Hi,

Just a question.
When I saw 'link' sitting on the horse at the end of the 5 second teaser I immediately taught on wow that is Zelda sitting there. Could it be that maybe in a twisted world that you now play Zelda who is rescuing link. Or could it be linkle.

thx
Good evening,

My good sir, in response to your recent inqury, we have taken it upon ourselves to answer forthwith. Here in, the proceeding statement has been issued on the subject.

"No."

We hope this is satisfactory and that all further questions will be rendered obsolete.

Sincerely,
Riki

Xenoboy

So beautiful, plz don't dissapoint me Game Awards! :p
I like that zoomed in picture of Link, it's really funny and I really want to see some night time footage :D

TheJoRu

I'm expecting semi-orchestral, ala most major Wii U-release since 3D World. Real instruments, but a smaller group of people, in a more controlled studio environment. I think this is a good way to ensure consistency; with the amount of music needed for a Zelda-game it's unrealistic to go for 100% full orchestration, so instead you do smaller sessions with real instruments mixed with MIDI samples. Splatoon is a master class of this; it has a lot high quality live music, made unique and original using the digital samples.

I like this approach better than the jarring experience of going from full orchestration to MIDI in games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword, though those games obviously have some really, really grand musical moments that you may not quite get this way. The highs of those games are just unbelievable.

Diffense

I believe them when they say Zelda U is coming to Wii U. I've always thought so. I just don't think it'll be exclusive unless there are insurmountable porting difficulties. Considering that they were willing to invert Zelda:TP's entire world in the Wii version I can't think of anything that'll stop them if they want it out for NX.

The grass strikes me as more "physics" than physics. If I had to guess, I'd say blades are rendered along the surface of simple meshes (using color information in the vertices to determine length/flowers) taking into consideration positions+speed of actor objects and noise algorithms for generic wiggle and wind swaying. Much faster than actual physics with awesome results.

deffo

Oh for sure, I certainly don't think the algorithms are based on real world physics, but as you said, the end result is pretty awesome.

Hydrus

Anybody else think this footage looks a little too yellow? Like a yellow filter or something. It just looks a little dull to me. Should be more clear like that flower pic.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I feel like that may be because of the time of day.
We've only seen sunlight lighting so far from this game. Hopefully the re-reveal shows different TOD. The timelapses at the high points will be glorious.

Nanashrew

Banned
When the day comes, I hope someone does make a sped up video showing the day and night cycle.

Hoping GameXplain is reading this.

Astral Dog

Skyward Sword had a full orchestra, that does NOT guarantee a good soundtrack, as we learned from that.

-Horizon-

Maybe you unfold a tent every time you want to save the game lol

I know I know, the animation time for that would be such a waste of time lol

Top Bottom