• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Batman Movie |OT| You ever stepped on a LEGO in the pale moonlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
gXrftJS.png

All credit to mclem for the great thread title.

Platy

In the real life poster that is in the OP you can see that
the wonder twins
are in this movie.

Best DC movie since Dark Knight confirmed

Voror

Really looking forward to this but going to be waiting a few weeks to see it with my sisters when they visit me. I'm kind of tempted to pick up one of the Lego sets for the film. I kind of want The Scuttler.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I should note that GAFs very own, wetwired worked on this film. He is the creator of the LEGO Ideas Ecto-1 which I believe was the longest running Ideas set in retail. He has also had other Ideas sets make it to the final stage.

He has a breakdown of some of the items he created for the film right here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223064011&postcount=13848
Wetwired worked on this? Shit I know him from QGL/AusGamers. Dude is a champion.

wetwired

Wetwired worked on this? Shit I know him from QGL/AusGamers. Dude is a champion.

You do? what's your QGL nick?

I'm thinking of getting this set for my desk at work because it looks so full of personality from the movie:

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the sets for the movie (I need to see the movie though I think to get the full context) but this is the one set I bought for the design alone, and it is great, the mechanics of the bouncing is great and it also looks awesome

jadedm17

I should note that GAFs very own, wetwired worked on this film. He is the creator of the LEGO Ideas Ecto-1 which I believe was the longest running Ideas set in retail. He has also had other Ideas sets make it to the final stage.

He has a breakdown of some of the items he created for the film right here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223064011&postcount=13848

Amazing, thanks for sharing that as it's something a longtime Lego thread fan and wetwired appreciator might miss by not visiting said Lego thread much recently.

Super hyper for this movie, the first was excellent.

poutmeter

Managed to win two free tickets a while back and I can't wait to use them this Thursday. The LEGO Batman movie is the only film everyone agreed to watch on release day without any grumbling, so we all have high hopes it'd turn out great.

Having a LEGO movie released close to my birthday is awesome; lots of LEGO presents incoming! Already got gifted this doofus Batman clock that I have to boop his head to light up.

dc89

I might be going to see this today. I will definitely be seeing it at some point.
Looks really good.

^^^ happy birthday, it's my birthday tomorrow!

poutmeter

I might be going to see this today. I will definitely be seeing it at some point.
Looks really good.

^^^ happy birthday, it's my birthday tomorrow!

Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one.

Mine is still two weeks from now -on the 19th!- but it's close enough for people to remember I was fangirling way too hard about LEGO/Batman when it comes to gifts; that's what happened when the LEGO movie came out.

wetwired

The film isn't out here in Australia for another 2 months (30th March). If anyone wants to sit through the credits and take a pic of my name (Brent Waller), I've been assured it will be there but I want to be sure, it should be under something like "concept design"

rikichi

saw it earlier today and it was pretty good. a lot of fun actually. If you like batman and/or legos, you'll dig this movie a lot.

cant wait to see it again :)

I saw this at an early showing this morning. It was great. Not much to say regarding quality beyond that I recommend it for batman fans.

It was full of tons of references to Batman/DC history in both the foreground and the background. Some really obscure things that surprised me too, stuff that never in a million years will stand out to a general audience. There was so much that I want to go through the movie with a fine toothed comb to find them all. Even a certain music cue in one scene got me all tickled.

I didnt really see a lot of previous for this movie so I don't know how much was revealed or not, but for me there were some very surprising and fun cameos that caught me off guard.

louiedog

Doug Benson as Bane is a such a weird, funny, and right casting choice that only a small percent of the movie viewers will get.

I'm also happy to see Garfunkel and Oates doing voices. I'm wondering what Kate Micucci's Clayface will be like.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Saw it yesterday (WB UK were doing early screenings this weekend) with my 4 year old son and he loved it. It's unusual for him to be able to sit though a movie (including the Traveller's Tales/WAG straight to DVD LEGO releases which bore him) so this is a good sign.

I loved it too. It's a proper love letter to everything Batman, just as The LEGO Movie was a love letter to everything LEGO. It's just so densely packed with Easter eggs that I can't wait for the Blu-ray to try to spot all the cameos and background detail. I think a lot of the "wow, this is the best Batman movie ever" comments from reviewers miss the point. The reason this is so good is because it happily mocks and exaggerates all the tropes of Batman and draws from its vast history, good and bad, to create a brilliant comedy but what this doesn't do is remove the itch we're so desperate for WB to scratch with their DCEU. This is very much The LEGO Movie does Batman, not DCEU finally gets it right.

It's not perfect. My one main criticism is that
whilst the use of Sauron, Voldemort, King Kong, Daleks, the Universal monsters, Jurassic Park dinosaurs, etc. as the main threat is a lovely idea that touches upon the film being set in The LEGO Movie universe, it does mean that
Batman's rogue gallery is woefully underused. Besides Joker each villain seems to get between one and five lines for the whole movie. I was so excited to see what they'd do with Billy Dee Williams back as Two Face and for him to get (IIRC) one line
whilst later on the screen is drowning in raptors and Daleks
felt like a massive waste. DC's (and especially Batman's) great strength over Marvel is the quality of their adversaries and they were just wasted here and even described as C-list. A shame, especially as there are some lovely tie-in LEGO sets out now with characters, vehicles and scenarios that get (literally) five seconds of screen time.

But that gripe aside, what you've got is a great movie for the whole family. If you love Batman, you'll love the care and attention to detail they've given everything, if you hate Batman you'll love how they deconstruct and mock the character and everything that surrounds it. I'd go into amazing detail about all that but it's so much better if you experience it for yourself. So go see it. I can't wait to see it again.

daffy

Banned
gawd i cant wait to go see this. Hopefully I don't end up in a row full of bad ass little kids like the Lego Movie screening

HowZatOZ

Banned
You do? what's your QGL nick?

Eorl ;) Absolutely awesome seeing your work moving into the big limelight dude, I'll definitely keep an eye out for all your kits you've created.

As a ridiculously huge Batman fan I am so damn keen for this movie. Will Arnett is the true Batman.

wetwired

Eorl ;) Absolutely awesome seeing your work moving into the big limelight dude, I'll definitely keep an eye out for all your kits you've created.

As a ridiculously huge Batman fan I am so damn keen for this movie. Will Arnett is the true Batman.

I remember you!, I don't visit QGL much anymore, when I do I usually hit and run threads to return 3 months later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom