• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Remember winning this when I was a kid in a competition, best prize ever.

TvXUj.jpg
Holy... Damn the old legos were so great... I remember that though i don't think i ever had many Western legos.

MjFrancis

Awesome, a support group for my adolescent addiction! Thanks, guys. I have a semi-substantial amount of LEGO bricks and minifigs, at least for someone who is nearing 30 years of age. I sold all my LEGOs when I was a teenager for an absurdly minuscule amount of cash compared to what I could get for them now. I had hundreds of Pirate minifigs, all gone now!

Oh man. When I was a kid there was only "Castle", "Town" and "Space". I remember that the base plates were like gold and you couldn't find them separate ANYWHERE. We had one green square of it and it was a PRIZED possession.

One christmas we got the Lego Town Airport, and it was AMAZING.
6392-1.jpg

Shit must have been really expensive, cause it was a lean Christmas that year, but we got an assload of play value out of that set.

Yeah, those big green bases were great. When my brother and I pulled out our big box of LEGOs whoever got the big green base was lucky. I think years later we got a big giant purple base. I miss the days of playing with LEGOs. I'll buy a set or two once a year but I usually put it up somewhere and it slowly gets destroyed.

Anyone check out the Architecture sets? I usually see them in bookstores and I always want to buy one.

Woorloog

Banned
I feel like digging up my legos and taking some pics... argh, too bad that's a lot of work. Do you know how much a plastic box full of legos weights? I have... uh, 4 of those or something like that. I'm not sure.

And the bases... I have this "island" base, with a curving river in it, and then a rock with a river... let's see if i can find stock pics.

This one:
KJHCd.jpg

When I was a kid I used my scraps of lego to make that Walker from the PS1 game Future Cop LAPD. It even transformed. Those were the days......

I'd be tempted to get some lego again for display purposes if they ever released a Lego Zone of the Enders kit. Shame they never will.

I was surprised there wasn't a thread for this when I looked a few weeks ago. Thanks for making one.

I got this set for $45 at a Salvation Army the other day. Complete and in the box.
Lego-Chess-X.jpg

ghostmind

gnGi6.jpg

My first LEGO set... so many hours spent with this thing.

EZQse.jpg

Our latest set - my son now has the LEGO bug, and his dad now spends hours helping him build.

moop2000 said:
I was surprised there wasn't a thread for this when I looked a few weeks ago. Thanks for making one.

I got this set for $45 at a Salvation Army the other day. Complete and in the box.
Lego-Chess-X.jpg
For the awesomeness your got, thats a cheap price.

I'm a HUGE lego nerd.

I have around 150.000 pieces and collected lego for about 15 years.

And with a few friends having the first annual "LEGO day" at our house next Wednesday! :D

25krgxy.jpg

ih1aft.jpg

29w8vix.jpg

rjp1fs.jpg

szismq.jpg

1448yoi.jpg

jufp0x.jpg

j5b6mu.jpg

w2d3bk.jpg

xfb9j8.jpg

2mzy6hk.jpg

zlt6z8.jpg

fc20ko.jpg

9gyfcg.jpg

I have more not pictured just boxes and boxes more in storage.

Chittagong

Gold Member
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Oh man. When I was a kid there was only "Castle", "Town" and "Space". I remember that the base plates were like gold and you couldn't find them separate ANYWHERE. We had one green square of it and it was a PRIZED possession.

One christmas we got the Lego Town Airport, and it was AMAZING.
6392-1.jpg

Shit must have been really expensive, cause it was a lean Christmas that year, but we got an assload of play value out of that set.

Correct. This is the best LEGO set ever.

Leunam

Thanks for the awesome links in the OP. Someone on Bricklink is selling the kit I'm looking for which is going for $600 elsewhere.

strafer

I went to Legoland for the first time when I was 18 and it was like being a kid again, it was awesome.

But yeah, that old Lego is the best.

and this

that_fucking_lego_piece.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Strafer said:
I went to Legoland for the first time when I was 18 and it was like being a kid again, it was awesome.

and this

Oh yes... oh fucking yes. I can't count how many times that happened...

bjaelke

Strafer said:
I worked there two Summers ago. Couldn't focus on the job all the time!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have a few of those collectable minifigures. They're pretty nice, but I don't see myself trying to collect them all. Pick a few favourites and try to get those. I just got the latest catalogue in the post today. The PotC ship looks really nice, but very pricy.

I have access to some of my bricks that I spent a little time sorting out by colour. Never realised how many black pieces I had compared to the rest. A lot is still in hidden away in boxes, mostly completed sets from when I was younger that I didn't want to dismantle.

I'll treat myself to another model one day, but at the moment I'm not made of money. Last set I bought was this as a nice Christmas decoration. Might get the Winter Toy Shop to complete the set.

Remember to check the site for deals here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Strafer said:

and this

organise your storage!

We have a custom three drawer chest my dad made for my son's birthday to hold it in, and its overflowing now. One drawer for flat pieces, one for bricks, one for misc. Each drawer segmented up so left side 1 stud wide: 1-2 long in one section, then 3-4 long, then anything over 4. the other side the same but for 2 stud wide pieces.

Dead easy to find most things fairly quickly.

bluemax

Banned
wetwired said:
I thought I'd start it off talking about a recentish addition to their line-up, Collectible Minifigs.

They're basically blind packaging bags, each containing a single minifig. Below is series 4, but series 5 is due out some time in August or late July

all.jpg

all800.jpg

Series 1 through 3 had some good unique characters like a Zombie, Crash Test Dummy, Caveman, Mexican Wrestler, Spartan Soldier, Elf, Mime, Mariachi Guy, DJ, Samurai etc.

I started collecting these. I have the Ice Hockey guy, the Viking and the Musketeer. Sadly last time I was at Target they didn't have any in stock.

Some of the best moments of my childhood involved hours of spending time building with Legos. Still have some of my models in my closet but I was addicted to this thing.

Probably the coolest part though was when Lego Land California opened up, they had a contest where they picked one kid from each state to represent their own state in the grand opening parade. I was lucky enough to win out of MI and attended the grand opening and all of the events they had, including getting into the park a day early, man was that a really fun time.

Has there been any update on when the new Star Wars sets (most importantly the new Millennium Falcon) are being shipped? I thought it was in June but that doesn;t seem to be the case as we near the end of the month.

Marty Chinn said:
This is fuck awesome:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/3107022508_a3578cedeb_o.jpg[/img
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/3106191883_6584f3f77a_o.jpg[/img
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3107021800_616ec8a586_o.jpg[/img
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/3106191057_6e7497e6a5_o.jpg[/img

More here:

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575410@N05/sets/72157625341673003/[/url

and here:

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575410@N05/sets/72157625341624433/[/url[/QUOTE]

So who wants to guess at how much that may have cost? $4000?

KAOz

Short bus special
Fv6uy.jpg

Fucking Monorail up in this bitch! Came out around the time I started to grow out of Lego, but I got it anyway. SO awesome.

Shit, this makes me nostalgia so hard now....

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
That Hoth set is glorious...
Am I the only one whose lego collection eventually all got thrown into one big box?
I've lost all the books to them, so rebuilding anything without making it all up is pretty much impossible for me.

...I'm kind of ashamed of that.

Puddles

Banned
KAOz said:
Fv6uy.jpg

Fucking Monorail up in this bitch! Came out around the time I started to grow out of Lego, but I got it anyway. SO awesome.

That came out during the 2nd to last year of my Lego addiction. I think I was in 6th grade. I started saving up for it, but on a $2/week allowance it wasn't happening very quickly. I started taking on boatloads of extra chores for my parents to earn the money for it. I think it retailed at around $170. Finally saved up for it after about 6 months. It was glorious!

Woorloog

Banned
blackwatchplad said:
That Hoth set is glorious...
Am I the only one whose lego collection eventually all got thrown into one big box?
I've lost all the books to them, so rebuilding anything without making it all up is pretty much impossible for me.

...I'm kind of ashamed of that.
I have a few boxes full of legos. Ninjas, pirates, knights, cowboys, a bunch of others... and Star Wars legos are in another box or two, mostly in pieces. I've lost quite many manuals.. though i'm positive i can find 'em somewhere in the web.

EDIT oh and that monorail? Damn i would have liked it so much... sigh.

KingK

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Remember winning this when I was a kid in a competition, best prize ever.

TvXUj.jpg

I had that, along with some Indian sets and a bunch of castles/knights. I also had tons of space and Star Wars ones and every single Harry Potter set.

Oh, and I had a bunch from this jungle adventure theme (kinda like Indiana Jones).

I have a bunch of crates and a whole cabinet full of Legos from when I was a kid. I spent so much time playing with those.

edit: This is the jungle thing I was talking about.
bwkX5.jpg

Bossun

Damn I'm so jealous you seem to have a lot more of different Lego set in America than in France.

My last one though

Darth-Vader-LEGO-TIE-Fighter-set-contents.jpg

MisterNoisy

God, I used to have so much LEGO - enough to fill two of those huge underbed Sterilite containers. I ended up giving them all away to a coworker for their kid's birthday.

Only thing left is this little dude, who stands watch over my desk:

h1zwt.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DennisK4 said:
Seeing this again brought a tear to my eye.....

hey, why do you work? To earn money to rebuy all your childhood favourite toys on ebay of course!

I remember that Space set, think I had it too. But my favourite set was this Technic Chassis, which I bought off ebay last year - used but in good condition

GWdML.jpg

Gen X said:

Speaking as someone who works at Toysrus and regularly has my hands on these things, MegaBloks is garbage quality compared to Lego, the quality control is shoddy and the plastic is extremely cheap by comparison.

Lego all the way, my favorite sets are all the Blacktron 2 pieces:

1991_B-Tron_M-Tron.jpg

6981_Aerial_Intruder.jpg

6887_Allied_Avenger_raytrace.jpg

jambo

KAOz said:
Fv6uy.jpg

Holy shit I LOVED that set!

Also the Blacktron II stuff was awesome.

Man, I want to buy LEGO now! I might get the Shuttle set, that looks amazing.

Subitai

LoneWolf296 said:
Speaking as someone who works at Toysrus and regularly has my hands on these things, MegaBloks is garbage quality compared to Lego, the quality control is shoddy and the plastic is extremely cheap by comparison.

Lego all the way, my favorite sets are all the Blacktron 2 pieces:

1991_B-Tron_M-Tron.jpg

6981_Aerial_Intruder.jpg

6887_Allied_Avenger_raytrace.jpg
Can't have Blacktron w/ out Space Police!
6955-1.jpg

6986-1.jpg

My fav that I owned.
6895-1.jpg

Fox Mulder

Legos are awesome, I've been thinking about getting some expensive set just cause. We even have a Lego store here in Charlotte, and it's nice just looking at some of the huge displays they have.

downloadA3E9758E2C9A92131ACB286A28829106.jpg

I saw this in the store the other day, and it's hilarious how the lego guys are unloading boxes of the same truck set they're in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom