• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I Imagine LEGO Minecraft to be like buildings and HOPEFULLY minecarts + tracks and stuff, with a Minecraft aesthetic to it.

Also true to my word, picked up another set today:
p1.jpg

£18 at Fenwicks in Newcastle (my LEGO store basically). Good build, some good pieces in there for future, probably disassemble and do the helicopter next week.
Was tempted by the Star Wars Imperial V-Wing at a similar price but I feel the branded stuff is more expensive for less kit. Reaaally wanting Sebulba's pod + tatooine.

Got my VW Camper Van last night. Was gonna start on it today but couldn't resist, started it last night and I'm already roughly half way through building it. I couldn't stop. It's got so many awesome little details.

Jintor

Wouldn't Minecraft sets just be boxes of parts with no instructions. Don't you build anything you want in Minecraft? Or is Minecraft more than walking around carving things out of the ground?

I mean that's kind of interesting in itself. I don't think Lego has ever had a themed playset with the specific goal of undirected play before.

FStop7

Banned
First shots of the new Jabba's Palace set:

http://i.imgur.com/18ac1.png

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/83gWC.png

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/G1WC8.png[/QUOTE]

Oh man... Jabba's throne (with Salacious Crumb!) was my favorite Star Wars toy when I was a kid. I am so in for this.

[img]http://www.finalfrontiertoys.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/s/t/star_wars_loose_jabba_the_hutt_playset.jpg

backlot

Well my point is that everything in the game is just stuff you or others have made right? I've never played it. So I might be wrong.

Well there are villages and abandoned mineshafts filled with enemies to explore. There's also a dungeon with a portal to a final boss fight with a dragon. I doubt the Lego set will focus on those aspects of the game though.

Just got my Tie Fighter and X Wing. And FYI, there is a 15% off coupon from Barnes and Noble that works on Lego and toys. Use it online and Tie Fighter is only $38.20 and Xwing will be $46 or so. Best price around that I can find.

Nitemare1

That's it. I've got the bug now in a bad way. Went on a a little mini spree today after work. The only place near me that sells lego is a walmart and it looks like I'm going to have to start checking them more often. They had a load of city sets in two weeks ago and they were cleaned out by the weekend. I went back today and they had a bunch of star wars sets now. and a lot of empty spaces where new star wars sets had been earlier in the week. Looks like my town is going Lego crazy!

Todays hall.

020912.jpg

ghostmind

I would recommend anyone curious about the thought process that goes into the LEGO "adult" models take a look at the LEGO Design series on Youtube. I've linked one episode featuring Jamie Berard, introducing the mini-modulars. Jamie also designed almost all of the modular series as well.

http://youtu.be/ctconYz1Q3g?hd=1

You can find many more branching off this link, covering this like the Imperial Shuttle, the SSD, the Volkswagon T1, the Space Shuttle, etc. There are some additional episodes not available on this video channel, but can be found if you hunt around.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh and what's the suggestion regarding Lego Ferrari? I keep seeing them in the toystores and are rather expensive (they're the big boxes type, not the small ones)

I visited both of my local Wal-Marts and left empty-handed. I didn't try scanning any sets, but the only thing I saw marked on clearance was a castle-themed chariot thing which still looked pretty expensive for what it was.

I started on my first mini modular building today -- seems like a pretty cool set so far. There have already been some interesting techniques, and it seems like I could get a good hour out of each one. I'm kind of getting the itch for a bigger project though -- Tower Bridge during the double VIP point sale might need to happen.

So, today I found this Toy Story set for half price (Usually $150 here but it was $75), it also came with a mine, but it didn't look very interesting to build so I skipped it.

And since it's my first time posting here, another set I built recently and bought for cheap ($85 instead of $215)

And a few creations from the Creationary, awesome when houseruled and with some extra pieces

bedlamite

I... actually don't know the set no. XD

Like I said, it's that ferrari with a big box... so I assume it's not the smaller models.

Is that the F430 (model no. 8671-1), or the more recent 599 GTB (8145-1)? I was considering the 599, but it's damned expensive here, and I am still not completely sold on how it looks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm heading to the Lego store tomorrow after work. My coworker wants to take his kid there to buy a new Dino set, so he asked if I wanted to tag along (since I'm the office Lego nut). I probably won't buy the Grand Emporium yet since I'm waiting for the March VIP point promotion, but I'm looking at grabbing either a random clearance set or one of the Creator sets. I wish they had a new house of some sort... :(

Just finished the Grand Emporium, good build. Naturally, since I don't have any other place to put them, Porkins and the Death Star trooper are having a rooftop battle.

Porkins should be in the cockpit of his XWing. Luke gets enough glory.

Porkins is dual wielding a pistol and lightsaber and getting into an awesome fight on top of a shop under the shadow of a bad ass billboard and above a bad ass chandelier. I think he is fine.

And yes, the chandelier freaked me out because I couldn't find one of the clear pieces, and was afraid it was lost to the carpet.

neonglow

I made a couple purchases this week. I've been searching for the PoP palace for awhile and finally found one cheap at Amazon Warehouse Deals.

6849851433_d7a9f30198_z.jpg

6849853187_463b7739c6_z.jpg

Just finished the TIE Fighter.
AlRFUiOCMAAiwEX.jpg

The body was fun to see come together, but the wings were kind of boring. It was easy to know to do everything twice as I went, which made it more assembly line construction. But as boring as the wings were to build, it just looks so fucking badass when complete.

Time for the X-Wing

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is that the F430 (model no. 8671-1), or the more recent 599 GTB (8145-1)? I was considering the 599, but it's damned expensive here, and I am still not completely sold on how it looks.

The former, since I recall it not being Technic-like.

TheBez

What do you guys do with old manuals? I hauled up my 3 boxes of old lego and have a ton of manuals and paperwork now. Some are incomplete as well. Should I just track which sets they are and refer to online databases if I ever feel the need for them? Also what to do with the bionicle plastic tubes and small plastic cases like the mini creators and racers and stuff? Gah, sorting decisions!!!! Thoughts?

ghostmind

Heads-up - Barnes and Nobles are currently having an online sale on select Star Wars sets (including X-Wing, TIE, and a few smaller new sets) of 10% off and free shipping. If you use coupon code U7K4X3B, you can get an additional 20% off one item.

I just snagged the X-Wing for $43.

Heads-up - Barnes and Nobles are currently having an online sale on select Star Wars sets (including X-Wing, TIE, and a few smaller new sets) of 10% off and free shipping. If you use coupon code U7K4X3B, you can get an additional 20% off one item.

I just snagged the X-Wing for $43.

The 10% off online is normal. In store you need a membership to get the 10% off. The 20% coupon works, and there is a 15% coupon as well. They are also the cheapest brick and mortar place for the sets. X-Wing is regular $60 there and the TIE Fighter is regular $50. Got both of them today from my local BN with membership discount and coupons.

But on topic:
LOCK S FOILS IN ATTACK POSITIONS!
AlRjvzyCEAAEsfh.jpg

The X-Wing was a really fun build, but fuck them if they think I am going to put the stickers on it. They printed the things on the TIE Fighter flat circle pieces on the wings, why couldnt they do the same for the X-Wing?

The X-Wing was more fun to put together, but I think the TIE Fighter looks better once assembled. I also worry about the rubber bands going out on the X-Wing over time much like they died on my old Technic Destroyer Droid model.

EDIT: I think my issue with the look of the X-Wing model is that it is too clean looking. It just doesnt have the dirty or worn feeling that the ships had in the films. Maybe if they made it a light gray instead of white. I know that X-Wings were white originally, but it just seems too pristine on the set. Maybe I need to scuff if up myself. The TIE Fighter, on the other hand, looks just fuck awesome just sitting there.

NOW GIVE ME MY LEGO B-WING! Aka: The mother of all fighters!

ghostmind

Unless they surprise us at the NY Toy Fair this weekend, I think the B-Wing reveal will wait until San Diego Comicon, as that's when they usually roll out the special/ultimate kits.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Something else I'll say about the mini-creator series; the little plastic tubs they come in are reaal handy storage containers!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
we have 4954 model town house which is really nice too, but it got discontinued pretty quickly I think. Lots of tan bricks and a detached garage

I've been itching for that house, but the prices on Bricklink are upwards of $500 in the US. :( It really is a gorgeous model, too.

Oh hey, how's that huge haul you had the other day treating you? :p

How long does it take roughly to build some of these larger models?

I got the Fire Brigade modular Wed, I just completed the first floor, took I would say 5-6 hours. although I do not sort my pieces at all, takes the fun out of it for me, and I do it while watching tv.

Couple hours per section usually. Depends on the detail as well. The first floor of the Grand Emporium took about 4 hours because of tile work. The second floor only took about 2. The third floor took about 3 hours because it included the roof and chandelier.

I got the Fire Brigade modular Wed, I just completed the first floor, took I would say 5-6 hours. although I do not sort my pieces at all, takes the fun out of it for me, and I do it while watching tv.

Like, all of the bags, or just the different sections? If you mixed all 1,2,3 bags into a bucket, I would call you a crazy man.

All this Lego and mojang talk has got me excited at the thought of a real Lego MMO based on mine crafts setup

Soul brotha!

Yesterday I was thinking of an idea I had for a GOOD online lego MMO. Then I thought of a post I made some time ago describing this exact mmo.

I'd loved to have seen a game in which you'd get a lot assigned to you of x by x amount bricks on which you could build anything you wanted. And every other person next to you could do the same. Pay more and you can get a bigger lot. People could trade their designs and get money to buy special bricks and other designs. There would be multiple instances. Moderated instances have to adhere to certain styles (medieval, modern, futuristic) and other free for all instances where everything is possible. It would be a bit like those isometric mega cities.

A world built of user generated Lego. That would be awesome.

Then I thought, damn, minecraft already is partially what I had in mind. I would love to see a more restricted version of minecraft in a lego universe.

woodypop

And since it's my first time posting here, another set I built recently and bought for cheap ($85 instead of $215)

bakkE.jpg
Where are you that the Scorpion Pyramid was originally $215?! I picked mine up for $50 (normally $100), but haven't built it yet.

lol, I got the Egyptian Queen, too!

And a few creations from the Creationary, awesome when houseruled and with some extra pieces

Mtu9B.jpg
I've been debating whether or not to get Creationary. I've heard mixed reviews about it. What kind of houserules do you apply to make it more fun?

ghostmind

It depends on what I'm building, who I'm building it for, and if I'm building with someone.

If I'm task-focussed it goes quicker (say 500pcs an hour), but if it's a more social build it can go much slower (and often more enjoyable).

Where are you that the Scorpion Pyramid was originally $215?! I picked mine up for $50 (normally $100), but haven't built it yet.

lol, I got the Egyptian Queen, too!

I've been debating whether or not to get Creationary. I've heard mixed reviews about it. What kind of houserules do you apply to make it more fun?

South America, prices here are usually 2.05X the normal price. Creationary is good fun although I guess if you are a hardcore lego fan you already have a greater selection of pieces and the insert does a poor job holding the contents together. IMHO its still worth it. We usually build at the same time until everyone but one has finished, then we guess each creation in order, otherwise it gets too boring with only 1 building and the rest waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom