• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

Jamaro85

Why are Berserkers so insanely spongy? They have the health of a boss but spawn with the frequency of the tougher non-boss enemies of the other factions. A few punches will take out anything in gold, but it takes like 15 punches to kill one of those.

And WHY the hell is the Valkyrie an N7 weapon? Is this a joke? I got excited when I saw it then realized that by most accounts there are like five good guns in this game. I take it to gold and sure enough it hits like a paintball gun. Seriously, what is the logic with assigning it ultra rare rarity? Also got the Salarian Operator and don't see what justifies making him an ultra rare. Not sure why I'm even questioning anything balance related in this game though.

Renekton

Why are Berserkers so insanely spongy? They have the health of a boss but spawn with the frequency of the tougher non-boss enemies of the other factions. A few punches will take out anything in gold, but it takes like 15 punches to kill one of those.

And WHY the hell is the Valkyrie an N7 weapon? Is this a joke? I got excited when I saw it then realized that by most accounts there are like five good guns in this game. I take it to gold and sure enough it hits like a paintball gun. Seriously, what is the logic with assigning it ultra rare rarity? Also got the Salarian Operator and don't see what justifies making him an ultra rare. Not sure why I'm even questioning anything balance related in this game though.
I think they are meant to keep us from zoning in one place comfortably.

Yup Valkyrie has always been a joke weapon.

Salarian Operator is excellent. Shield Boost and Invasion make for great team utility in Gold. Also his voice is hilariously high-pitched and nervy.

hbkdx12

Haven't played this for a few days. Played 3 games.

1st one the game crashed during the second wave. Bye bye consumables and the other 2 were complete lagfests from start to finish. Didn't have much choice but to find the safest spot to just camp and tough it out.

Fucking awful

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What are the good guns in multiplayer other than the Vanquisher? Please tell me it's not the only one.

deafmedal

What are the good guns in multiplayer other than the Vanquisher? Please tell me it's not the only one.
Someone on the uBSN did a rough DPS calculation...
It's the only one I'd consider really good, yeah, but there are a few other worthwhile guns. Here's a really excellent tier list somebody wrote up on Reddit.
Needs a tier 5 for some guns like...
the Shadow... Meh.
On second thought, make it a 6th tier.

I've been enjoying the Hesh on my SI, if mods are ever fixed would love to smart choke it.
And lol at SR receiver not working on half of the snipes...
*bashes head with krogan hammer*

denx

Yep this MP has been disappointing. I still get extreme lag/rubber-banding in most matches and movement in general feels janky and unresponsive, even when I'm not in a lag fest. That combined with the shit XP and credits rewards you get after completing matches, the disappointing damage output of most weapons, powers and combinations, and just how out of whack the difficulty in Silver and Gold is, it means I'm not gonna touch the multiplayer for a couple of months until these issues are resolved (if they're resolved at all). In the meantime I'm gonna go back to ME3's MP. The thirst for ME MP is real.

Mindlog

PIranha and Hurricane are top tier with the Vanquisher no question. Just wish I had them. Shadow/PAW are pretty useless except for being the best weapons to apply ammo effects with. Perfect for the Kineticist or Concussion soldiers.

I'm not having much difficulty on Gold and MEA credits are pretty generous.
The lag and weirdness unfortunately remind me of DAI more than ME3MP and it's bad enough to speculate if Frostbite is the right choice for these games.

I'm still having fun with what's there, but sweet quads do I hate reloading. Reloading is without a doubt issue #1 for me.

Right now the best games are either U/U/Gold or U/K/Gold. Was having a good time on 0/K/G until an Ascendant started lag switching and orbed the two of us that were cleaning house otherwise.
Where do i unlock the strike mission loot boxes on thr tempest??
Map.
iVQSh92.jpg

After playing a few rounds of ME3 MP I'm shocked by how much faster combos are in that game. Sure there's global cooldowns but you can still combo very easily provided you have a 200% cooldown. Take the default human adept in both ME3 and Andromeda, in ME3 you can set off a basic singularity + shockwave in around 5 seconds (about 2.5 seconds for each power). In comparison, the singularity cooldown in Andromeda is around 20 or so seconds, while the actual power of the combos are no where close to the ones in ME3.

I think the worst part of fighting Berserkers is their stupid health regen. It's really annoying knowing that you'll have to punch them 5 or so more times just because they decided to roar for a second.

geordiemp

Once you get a Vanquisher gold is not so hard. The problem with PUGs is the dont use consumables.

For example, use a targeting III amp and you can one shot headshot allot of things with a vanquisher and with correct builds it becomes a massacre (if you can snipe well)

Also to get no lag just make sure you change character in the lobby and note how long your chaacter takes to display.

If its immediate = good game.

If its slow = leave otherwise lag and crash

I have played allot, 11000 apex and all my rares are maxed - best guns are Vanquisher, Equaliser, Talon, Scorpio and falcon - all rare.

tootie923

I agree, I just headbutt and Charge them over and over as a Kroguard and it gets tedious real fast.

Mindlog

Last .gif on the subject I promise.
I joined in progress with my human Infiltrator stacked with sniper/headshot amps. I climbed up on the roost and just started poking holes in domes. Good times. Someone down below died so I hopped off to res them. Then I domed a nearby mook. Then I saw this guy hiding.
SLS179y.gif

That's slowed 50% to make it easier to see. You can't hear it, but my cloak deactivates after that shot. I was not using a receiver.

Renekton

Not VQ-tier but: Charger, Raptor, Hurricane, Falcon.

Could be good in the right scenario but need testing: Indra, Hesh and Revenant. Predator is supposedly A-tier in that BSN list but I haven't had much luck despite mashing like a foo.

The Raptor is not that good, is it? It's very hard to aim with, even with my Turian Havoc Soldier and all her accuracy bonuses. Am I just a bad shot?

Renekton

The Raptor is not that good, is it? It's very hard to aim with, even with my Turian Havoc Soldier and all her accuracy bonuses. Am I just a bad shot?
So far with the Turian Soldier's stability/accuracy/clip bonuses, it shot pretty much where I pointed to with little variance :D

Mindlog

The Talon is also very good. Unmentioned I've seen people do well with the Piranha, but I don't have one yet to verify :\
Scorpion is good enough to do well with.

Thokin is perfectly gold worthy for soldiers and barrier sentinels.
That's how I felt the first time I used the Raptor. Now it's one of my favorites. I don't know if pulse firing is what did the trick for me, but I can't deny it helped. Try landing 2-5 shots at a time. Once I started doing that I then moved on to landing mostly headshots. Extremely strong weapon.

Finally unlocked a character I want to play as, the Asari Duelist. The "best" builds for her seem to be 100% melee with no points put into Backlash, but I just find that ability too cool and fun to not use. I won't be as effective as I could but oh well.

Finally unlocked a character I want to play as, the Asari Duelist. The "best" builds for her seem to be 100% melee with no points put into Backlash, but I just find that ability too cool and fun to not use. I won't be as effective as I could but oh well.

Yeah Duelist is very fun when properly specced. I have a hard time switching from Asari Adept to Duelist though, because I'm so used to everything exploding ALL THE TIME.

pmj

I just got the Talon, my first supposedly non-shit gun. Took days of grinding for 50 and 100k packs to get there.

I hate it. Slow to fire, 4 shots before having to reload, and three body shots to take down the weakest enemies. Maybe headshots are what makes it shine, but I can't aim for shit on PS4. Body shots are hard enough.

Also I don't think I want to fight Kett ever again. They're the hardest enemy by far, and are just a waste of time and resources.

In fact, I might be done with the whole game until it's patched.

Mindlog

Just like the Raptor I did not like the Talon at first. I have posts earlier in the thread on both :]

I use the Talon on Vanguards and Adepts. Anyone who gets in close. I've found that it shreds most enemies on gold.

Bisnic

Been using the Equalizer with the Turian Soldier, feel powerful enough so far with Turbocharge(on Bronze lol, he's still low lvl). But it overheats way too fast, are the ammo clip skill upgrades worth it? Do they work on Remnant guns?

I'm still missing all the human classes at rank X, not to mention maxed common weapon mods... should I continue with Basic packs or purchase Expert/Premium ones? I feel like basic packs might be a waste of money, since i never get gold or ultra rares in them, but who knows since there is a lot of shitty guns out there.

pmj

Been using the Equalizer with the Turian Soldier, feel powerful enough so far with Turbocharge(on Bronze lol, he's still low lvl). But it overheats way too fast, are the ammo clip skill upgrades worth it? Do they work on Remnant guns?

I'm still missing all the human classes at rank X, not to mention maxed common weapon mods... should I continue with Basic packs or purchase Expert/Premium ones? I feel like basic packs might be a waste of money, since i never get gold or ultra rares in them, but who knows since there is a lot of shitty guns out there.

Reddit thinks that the 50k packs are the best bang for the buck (as long as you don't spend real money) due to them, despite what the game says, has the same chance for rare and ultra rate characters and guns. And since you get two packs instead of one, you get more boosters.

Cheap packs make sense as long as long as you actually want to use the common stuff that you get in them. Higher levels for guns improve them, higher for characters give you extra skill points.

Steel

Banned
I think they are meant to keep us from zoning in one place comfortably.

Yup Valkyrie has always been a joke weapon.

Salarian Operator is excellent. Shield Boost and Invasion make for great team utility in Gold. Also his voice is hilariously high-pitched and nervy.

Valkyrie was one of my favorite assault rifles in ME3, honestly. It'd still be OK in this if they didn't have the ridiculous kickback on it. And the Crusader was my favorite shotgun(More like scopeless sniper), but it sucks in this. It really amazes me how much they fucked up weapons that were already decent to great in ME3.

Haven't had the urge to play this at all.

Oh well, maybe Ill come back in a few months when it's patched and so not tedious to play.

This is where I've been at.

Mindlog

Haven't played in almost a week. Will probably log into SP for a bit once the reward boxes max out but other than that, nope.

Bonus video from Reddit : https://youtu.be/mOyuWW02FIk
I hate that thing so much. Becomes an even bigger problem with how wonky the sound can get and it ends up making less noise than a Praetorian sneaking around.

But I still really like fighting Kett :\
There were only two of us left standing for the last hack in round 6 and I managed to solo upload the whole thing with an Angaran Insurgent. I was popping heads left and right, pulling out my Falcon against clumped troops, using my drone to block paths and trip mining everything else. This was as fun and frantic as anything I remember from ME3 MP. After the upload finishes we start rotating around the map on cleanup duty. Then an unheard fiend comes out of nowhere and instakills me.

After getting used to the mechanics I'm actually growing concerned that buffs are going to mess a lot of things up.

Snagret

My experience with Backlash 90% of the time is standing and staring at an enemy with the shield up while they stare back at me choosing this time of all times not to shoot at me. It works pretty good on Observer lasers and reflecting Ascendant Orbs, but the enemy behavior is so weird a lot of the time that it's hard to use as an offensive tool very effectively. Which is a shame, because I think conceptually it's a pretty cool power.

Also joining in on the chorus of people who haven't played in several days. My last two attempts at playing were so buggy I have very little desire to return to the game in its current state. I'll keep an eye on the patch notes and see how the game progresses over the next couple months, but I'm already pretty tired of the few maps and three factions with extremely predictable wave structure.

Bombless

My experience with Backlash 90% of the time is standing and staring at an enemy with the shield up while they stare back at me choosing this time of all times not to shoot at me. It works pretty good on Observer lasers and reflecting Ascendant Orbs, but the enemy behavior is so weird a lot of the time that it's hard to use as an offensive tool very effectively. Which is a shame, because I think conceptually it's a pretty cool power.

This is how I feel most of the time when I pop Backlash :

1VjEL.gif

And then the mob just turns around and goes to hide behind a wall/crate.

I love the ability and have used it extensively but I guess the AI recognizes the power being used if you're too close to them.

Pheace

I love the ability and have used it extensively but I guess the AI recognizes the power being used if you're too close to them.

I've experienced the same. I'm fairly sure that's the case. Probably the same thing as when you're aiming down scope at an enemy, then they refuse to come out of cover. Usually better to wait till they start shooting before popping backlash, or if you're under fire from multiple mobs.

Springy

Does anybody have advice regarding how to handle the loot boxes? A friend told me to focus on the bronze ones that cost 5K early on, but I'm seeing players with the same APEX level as me or lower with better kit and classes equipped. What should I be doing, saving my pennies for the top tier box?
Edit: Just saw the advice a few posts up, so 50K is the way to go?

Does anybody have advice regarding how to handle the loot boxes? A friend told me to focus on the bronze ones that cost 5K early on, but I'm seeing players with the same APEX level as me or lower with better kit and classes equipped. What should I be doing, saving my pennies for the top tier box?

Rare guns put even the common ones at X to shame. Better to roll the 50ks until you get a decent weapon that can carry you through at least silver, then go back and grab the bronze ones if you want to max out the human characters.

There's some misconceptions that maxing out the common items means it removes them from the pool and gives you a better chance at uncommons, etc, but that's false. It removes them from the pool and just gives you a consumable in their place.

Bisnic

I'm buying basic packs to at least max my human infiltrator, which seems better than the Salarian one, and to max common mods.

Then I'll go back to the expert packs. At least with so many basic packs, I'll have enough consumables to last me for a while.

Renekton

Rare guns put even the common ones at X to shame. Better to roll the 50ks until you get a decent weapon that can carry you through at least silver, then go back and grab the bronze ones if you want to max out the human characters.

There's some misconceptions that maxing out the common items means it removes them from the pool and gives you a better chance at uncommons, etc, but that's false. It removes them from the pool and just gives you a consumable in their place.
Well only certain rare guns. Many are weak such as Sweeper, Halberd or Thokin.

I mean, do you want to struggle through the 50k lottery without Charger/Predator/Viper X?

Whales

Banned
Backlash is a cool idea on paper but ingame it just feels worthless

Sad, because pretty much every kit that has it is disadvantaged because they have 1 shitty/useless power

PrankT

I used the charger on bronze and bought a couple rare early on until I got an equalizer. Then I only bought 5k packs to max all commons, then I bought all 20k packs to max uncommons. Buying a lot of cheaper packs helped me accumulate boosts, upgrades (revives/health boost/rockets/ammo), and max character cards. I also got about 25 rares from the uncommon packs. It's taken me about 30 hours to max common and uncommon cards.

Top Bottom