• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

pmj

I'm not a game developer so I don't speak from experience here, but it doesn't strike me as being a stupid or unbelievable bug at all.

Games have a ton of resources and you don't want to keep duplicate copies of them if at all possible to make editing them more manageable. If you want to edit a gun or how powers work, you don't want to have to edit two copies of each file to hit both single and multiplayer.

But of course, you have to consider if different parts of the game have different requirements and manage the files accordingly.

VpomRurd

I'm not a game developer so I don't speak from experience here, but it doesn't strike me as being a stupid or unbelievable bug at all.

Games have a ton of resources and you don't want to keep duplicate copies of them if at all possible to make editing them more manageable. If you want to edit a gun or how powers work, you don't want to have to edit two copies of each file to hit both single and multiplayer.

But of course, you have to consider if different parts of the game have different requirements and manage the files accordingly.

But if you're going to specifically add in damage scaling according to the difficulty you're playing on then you definitely should have two separate files that modify the SP and MP separately. It's practically a text file so it's not exactly a huge file. It's a shitty mistake that needs to be corrected ASAP, IMO.

There's already two config files which control multiplayer and single player weapons and other stats separately. Omitting detonations from the MP side is, indeed, a ridiculous and laughable oversight, and is emblematic of the general incompleteness of the game.

pmj

Sure, I don't disagree that they should have caught this. I just got the feeling, perhaps incorrectly, that some people may not understand how something like this can even happen.

Mindlog

Never really played Asari Infiltrator because cloak field seemed kind of 'Why?' and the Asari don't have the strongest weapon bonuses.
Cloak Field makes the current Apex mission a cakewalk. Just goes to show how easy Kett are without upload objectives. The current setup is Sniper Skirmish (+50% Sniper), Assassinate (never had an Ascendant target) and Devices.

I could solo it faster, but I'm working on my Widow challenge and it's still easy.
*The AP mod works on most weapons other than the Vanquisher. AP is very powerful.
**The new Apex mission is Icebreaker/Kett/Sniper (Upload, Devices). Cleared it very quickly.

Lol, what a joke of a game people on Reddit are saying weapon scaling is tied to your single player difficulty. This is officially the worst multiplayer game I've ever played and I played Wildstar for three months.

VpomRurd

I've hosted games on both difficulties. Did not notice any difference. The overreaction is stupid.

Regardless, there is a difference. People are not over-reacting about the amount of the difference in damage or whatever. The issue is that this is even a thing in the first place. It's just a shit-show in every way.

Mindlog

Regardless, there is a difference. People are not over-reacting about the amount of the difference in damage or whatever. The issue is that this is even a thing in the first place. It's just a shit-show in every way.
Well that seems dissonant, but maybe that's just me.

Ironically what may end up killing the game for me is a wave of general buffs meant to please those that believe Vanguard/Melee/Vanquisher/Outlaw/Zero is the only possible way to clear Gold.

VpomRurd

Well that seems dissonant, but maybe that's just me.

Ironically what may end up killing the game for me is a wave of general buffs meant to please those that believe Vanguard/Melee/Vanquisher/Outlaw/Zero is the only possible way to clear Gold.

What? I didn't say people weren't over-reacting, you're just misunderstanding what they're actually reacting to.

deafmedal

I get that, but something needs to change. You, and a handful of others may be able to clear a solo gold using a rozerad or ushior (sp?) against the Kett but the vast majority of people cannot. I do not have the patience to go into a gold match with less than optimal gear and kit when running with pugs and I'm sure there are lots of folks who feel the same. If I had a solid crew to run with all the time, sure, I'd use less optimal setups. Hell, one of my favorite things to do in me3 was random load outs, maps and enemies on plat. With the dudes I ran with we seldom failed although matches would sometimes top 45+ minutes...

So now, I'm lucky to have 1 friend to play with (let alone 3) and the thought of trying to use a ruzad with randoms fills me with dread. It's fairly damning that the best shotgun is a fucking pistol (not counting piranha) considering weight, RoF, dam and clip size... to say shotties are balanced is ridiculous unless your idea of balance is 3 headshots to kill a redbar mook. What's the point of the weapon class? Shotguns should be high risk/high reward, right now they are high risk/no reward. Sniper class is alright with the exception of the horrible dead zone on controllers. ARs are mostly not fun to use and the charger and equalizer both outclass the auto options. Pistols are the only class I would class as balanced/useful and there are a couple duds there asswell. Not to mention reload speeds and the loss of reload cancel...

i don't agree that the game should be balanced for the top 1% of skill level. I'd rather have OP setups when I pug gold to minimize failures. I'd reckon 65-75% of the player base just aren't very good so giving them more tools to be (somewhat more) successful isn't a bad thing and makes things easier for the rest. I'm fine with that.

Renekton

I get that, but something needs to change. You, and a handful of others may be able to clear a solo gold using a rozerad or ushior (sp?) against the Kett but the vast majority of people cannot. I do not have the patience to go into a gold match with less than optimal gear and kit when running with pugs and I'm sure there are lots of folks who feel the same. If I had a solid crew to run with all the time, sure, I'd use less optimal setups. Hell, one of my favorite things to do in me3 was random load outs, maps and enemies on plat. With the dudes I ran with we seldom failed although matches would sometimes top 45+ minutes...
PUGs have been sleepwalking through Gold so I don't think there is any issue if you want to mess around with a Naladen.

313m3x4.gif~c200

pmj

According to reddit, Singleplayer also affects how quick Sharpshooters are to fire at you, from 3 seconds at narrative to 1 second on insanity, as well as shield gate invulnerability, from 0.5 seconds on narrative to 0.1 seconds on insanity. Some pretty dramatic differences in terms of sniper annoyance and general survivability.

The game tends to make me the host if the previous host exits the lobby, so I made sure to create a new campaign on narrative difficulty just for this. It feels like cheating sometimes, but I feel guilty about having hosted a bunch of Bronze games with an insanity singleplayer campaign in the background and want to make sure I don't ruin things for people.

deafmedal

PUGs have been sleepwalking through Gold so I don't think there is any issue if you want to mess around with a Naladen.

Maybe on PC, or you have had much better luck with pugs. Not my experience at all.

According to reddit, Singleplayer also affects how quick Sharpshooters are to fire at you, from 3 seconds at narrative to 1 second on insanity, as well as shield gate invulnerability, from 0.5 seconds on narrative to 0.1 seconds on insanity. Some pretty dramatic differences in terms of sniper annoyance and general survivability.

The game tends to make me the host if the previous host exits the lobby, so I made sure to create a new campaign on narrative difficulty just for this. It feels like cheating sometimes, but I feel guilty about having hosted a bunch of Bronze games with an insanity singleplayer campaign in the background and want to make sure I don't ruin things for people.
Maybe this is why?!

I don't feel like the MP is too complicated. Once you learn how to move around and gear up a little bit Relics and Outlaws are not difficult on Gold. Kett might be like a kick in the head in Round 6 if the team is not coordinated.
For what it's worth, I'm having lots of fun playing Gold with different builts in different characters vs. different factions
For me it's easy and challenging: play bronze and apex to get up to level 4 - 9. Move to Silver and level up to 12 - 15. Then alternate Silver/Gold. In the process unlock new rare weapon/mods/characters to play with.
I mean, I agree that the MP has multiple issues (if you ask me the lack of content compared to ME3 MP at the moment, but I hope that gets solved eventually by adding new factions, maps, powers, characters over time), but 'bullet sponge' enemies is not one of the issues. Also, some bugs need to be ironed.

Very good swath of changes there, even though I'll gripe about the buffs to Outlaws yet again and they fact they actually went and nerfed the Vanquisher again as well.

I also like the fact you can purchase XP boosters with the Apex Credits that people could paint their houses with at this point, although I hope they aren't expensive.

Ton of changes. Some ARs and shotguns have doubled in damage, which is great to see. Can't wait to jump in and see how things feel.

I wish Backlash had gotten a more substantial buff though. It's nice to see it got some attention, but it's use is still far too situational to really justify putting points into it.

The patch awarded me with the Beta sign up nameplate.

Guess what though? It's awarded, but not in the nameplates section so you can't equip it. Great job! lol.

Cat Party

Mattock and Carnifex look good now. Pretty stoked to try this patch out.

Asari Adept got hammered though, which sucks because that was a great class.

Holy shit, they just straight up doubled the damage on a ton of stuff. Guess they're not really fans of small incremental changes.

I wonder what the early game will be like for newbies now.

pmj

How? I felt way stronger, probably due to the new Amp and the Kett nerf. On Silver, most everything died from one Lance followed by one punch, except standard mooks and dogs that died from just the Lance.

Edit: So I was trying out my new and improved Dhan and it seems pretty great. Eventually I was asking myself why I was exposing myself to enemy fire when I could just hide behind a box and kill everything with the gun.

I wish I had more ultra rare guns to try out.

I'll be keen to see how well the Crusader and Halberd perform on Gold. Those guns have always looked and felt very cool to me. Its just that their damage output sucked.

Memory

Still a great class. You just have to be a bit more careful now.

How? I felt way stronger, probably due to the new Amp and the Kett nerf. On Silver, most everything died from one Lance followed by one punch, except standard mooks and dogs that died from just the Lance.

Edit: So I was trying out my new and improved Dhan and it seems pretty great. Eventually I was asking myself why I was exposing myself to enemy fire when I could just hide behind a box and kill everything with the gun.

I wish I had more ultra rare guns to try out.

Asari Adept got a major buff, reducing her shields was a must to balance her. she was already the best but now combos, base damage and skills have been buffed she's a monster.

Bombless

The patch definitely made the game fun again. Being able to buy xp boosts with mission funds is very much welcome as well.

Edit : Oh, and the turian agent is great, I just wish the recon visor was a toggle instead.

Laiza

Really enjoying how the game plays with all these buffs.

Have yet to use a shotgun but holy shit the damage values on the Disciple are making me wanna give it a go, it just looks brutal! My krogan engineer feels pretty good to play now, which is pretty shocking considering where she was at before the patch. Being able to outright kill most unshielded enemies with incinerate is a huge improvement, as is the turret cooldown starting on use instead of on death. I'm especially tickled by the fact that charged overload can take out the shields on most kett in one shot, which is a far, FAR cry from where it used to be.

Very comprehensive patch. I'm genuinely impressed. Glad they managed to turn this ship around.

Mindlog

Wow, things feel crazy now. Ushior feels like the damn Paladin now.
I played two games with the Pistol Bonus on Gold and it felt far superior to the old Vanquisher. This was with a brand new Turian Agent and Ushior I.

Really should not have given it that much damage and another round.

Failed to extract once when everyone else on the team was dead and with 20 seconds left a wraith stunlocked me against map geometry.

I still have a bunch of weapons to try eventually. Seems like stuff does a lot of damage now though. Other stuff is still at the mercy of bad mechanics.
I don't know. Really need Platinum difficulty now.

Omadahl

Banned
I'm abandoning my adept. Half of my combos aren't detonating when hitting within range. MP just went from fun to done until it's fixed.

My biggest problem with the game has always been the snipers. It really pisses me off when I'm in an awesome close quarters fight with two Krogan and it's the damn ridiculously accurate, punk ass low-level snipers that knock out ALL my shields.

You can call me an apologist, but I was having fun with the mutiplayer even before the patch. Yet it is the damn snipers that may cause me to quit. I can take getting my shields destroyed by a high level sniper, but not the damn low-level ones that are all over the damn map! Half of the time, it is hard to see what is even shooting at me. It was a pain before the patch and now it is flat out fucking annoying.

The funny thing is, I love to battle the high level enemies: Krogans, Hydras, etc. It's the "gnats" of the game that make me say "fuck it" and turn the game off. They definitely didn't need a buff. Rant over .

Tl;dr-sniper buff was not needed.

Jamaro85

The N7 Valiant has been redeemed! It rips through shields like nothing on gold and makes the standard kett enemies go down fairly quickly. The Ushior is still only a 3 shot pistol with the clip extender but feels like it is a viable secondary weapon now. The hornet feels really damn good right now as well.

It is nice to finally get away from melee/vanquisher exclusively. I really look forward to messing around with some other classes now, but playing as a vanguard without using melee AT ALL (unless rushed) is a welcomed breath of fresh air.

Edit: Wow, just pulled an N7 Crusader. I've seen plenty of people using it so I assume it was already a good gun, but now...

Increased damage from 382–442 to 699–808.

Just WHOA. Time to try this thing out.

Jamaro85

I'm abandoning my adept. Half of my combos aren't detonating when hitting within range. MP just went from fun to done until it's fixed.

Maybe you had a laggy host? I had one game where it felt like aim assist was completely off with throw and I had to lock it on (my first game, I actually thought they changed it in the patch, lol). I had another game where nothing seemed to be detonating, and the host eventually got dropped and changed.

I feel like the Asari Adept is ridiculous OP at this point. I just got from 19 to 20 and got another +50% biotic combo damage and radius (I think 50%) and it's even more overpowered. Red bar enemies go to like 20% health in one hit. Shielded kett enemies almost completely lose their shield. Combined with the N7 Crusader I just got I am just walking down kett on gold the entire game and just got 28K+ on my last match. I don't think I ever hit 25K with her prior to the patch.

I say give it another go because it's definitely not the game in general that isn't connecting combos, and I just think you've had some bad luck.

I love being able to buy xp cards with my mission points. I had 1500 saved up so I have cards forever. Played a few silver apex missions last night and my Mattock was just destroying stuff. Silver is easy mode now. Cant wait to get my Salarian Architect up a few more levels so I can play on gold. This patch made the game go from great to GotY!

Maledict

My biggest problem with the game has always been the snipers. It really pisses me off when I'm in an awesome close quarters fight with two Krogan and it's the damn ridiculously accurate, punk ass low-level snipers that knock out ALL my shields.

You can call me an apologist, but I was having fun with the mutiplayer even before the patch. Yet it is the damn snipers that may cause me to quit. I can take getting my shields destroyed by a high level sniper, but not the damn low-level ones that are all over the damn map! Half of the time, it is hard to see what is even shooting at me. It was a pain before the patch and now it is flat out fucking annoying.

The funny thing is, I love to battle the high level enemies: Krogans, Hydras, etc. It's the "gnats" of the game that make me say "fuck it" and turn the game off. They definitely didn't need a buff. Rant over .

Tl;dr-sniper buff was not needed.

This was the same issue that Dragon Age multiplayer had - the archer basic troops were fully capable of one shooting you, and were by far and away the most dangerous enemy troop. At high difficulties you basically had to LoS them because you couldn't possibly kill them in time. Hopefully they'll look at it a bit faster than they did in DA, where's it took 6 months and the game was dead by then.

Top Bottom