• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I really need to get the trilogy on PC. Played the hell out of all 3 on PS3 even with the sub par framerate but the lack of controller support has kept me away from the PC versions. I know there is a controller mod out there but I've never messed with modding except for a couple racing sims which are straight forward.

It's pretty easy; just follow the directions in the readme file.

The ME3 controller mod is a little more involved though, I haven't personally installed that one yet.

Dave_6

It's pretty easy; just follow the directions in the readme file.

The ME3 controller mod is a little more involved though, I haven't personally installed that one yet.

Ok thanks. I've also gathered that texture mods are pretty much a must with at least the first and second game. Do they play well with the controller mod? I forgot where I read it but I'm thinking I read there could be issues.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Ok thanks. I've also gathered that texture mods are pretty much a must with at least the first and second game. Do they play well with the controller mod? I forgot where I read it but I'm thinking I read there could be issues.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

I didn't use any texture mods for ME2, but I installed MEUITM for ME1 (it's amazing) and it works with the controller mod just fine. Someone else can probably speak about worthwhile ME2/3 texture mods and if they play nice with the controller mod.

But yeah, you've got the right idea with replaying it on the PC. I had been bitching for months about the lack of a remaster and then finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a Steam Link so I could play it upstairs on the TV and then bought everything on PC and learned how to mod games for the first time.

The only problem is the total cost of DLC....holy hanar it is expensive.

Ralemont

not me
I thought the Pathfinder/ Main Character wasn't going to be the N7 from the trailer? Unless this N7 is someone different entirely.

I'm a bit confused as well. I suppose the guy from the trailer and the MC could both be Pathfinders and have the same armor, though that isn't really BioWare's style since they like strong iconic looks for important characters.

Also, the MC is supposed to be combat-trained but inexperienced. How could they possibly be N7?

Patryn

whatever will be the last name of the Me4 protagonist, i'll name her after my late cousin. Just as I named shepard after my grandmother
very nice. she'd make a good miranda lawson (but obviously not as good as yvonne strahovksi)

Aren't we like 90 percent positive it's Ryder?

Ralemont

not me
Oh, I missed this follow-up tweet from Shinobs:

shinobi602 ‏@shinobi602 21m21 minutes ago
@Darkstalker_4 @MassEffect_News I didn't say it's necessarily the protagonist.

Dave_6

I didn't use any texture mods for ME2, but I installed MEUITM for ME1 (it's amazing) and it works with the controller mod just fine. Someone else can probably speak about worthwhile ME2/3 texture mods and if they play nice with the controller mod.

But yeah, you've got the right idea with replaying it on the PC. I had been bitching for months about the lack of a remaster and then finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a Steam Link so I could play it upstairs on the TV and then bought everything on PC and learned how to mod games for the first time.

The only problem is the total cost of DLC....holy hanar it is expensive.

From the digging I've been doing this morning, seems like kind of a clusterfuck to get all the DLC on PC. I'd rather have the first two games on Steam (though I have Origin) but the digital deluxe edition doesn't come with all the DLC. The only way to get the rest is to setup an account on Bioware and buy it with their points?

diaspora

Well I mean... the character art of the male and female character standing back to back don't appear to be wearing N7 armor. It's possible but I honestly doubt it at this point.

From the digging I've been doing this morning, seems like kind of a clusterfuck to get all the DLC on PC. I'd rather have the first two games on Steam (though I have Origin) but the digital deluxe edition doesn't come with all the DLC. The only way to get the rest is to setup an account on Bioware and buy it with their points?
Just buy the trilogy and all the DLC through Origin, it's ridiculously easy. Add them as non-Steam titles later if you want.

I got all three separately on PC. There's only one edition of ME1. ME2 has a special edition for $10 more but you're basically paying $10 for ugly Collector armor...so I got the regular ME2. I went for the special edition of ME3 because it's $10 more (the price of From Ashes) and includes From Ashes and some bonus armor.

The whole Bioware points thing on Origin is ridiculously simple and easy. It's just expensive but there's nothing you can do about it.

Then I added all three games to Steam so I could play through Steam Link.

Concept art armour is different from N7 man. Different helmet (I think), different shoulders, back armour, legs etc.
Mass_Effect_Andromeda_Infobox,_2015.png

Also different colour scheme obviously. No N7 shoulder stripe either.

But the SDCC stuff they showed had N7 emblems and different armour from the concept art.
New_Mass_Effect_Details_31.jpg

Aren't we like 90 percent positive it's Ryder?
yeah. i don't dig it, though.
Concept art armour is different from N7 man. Different helmet (I think), different shoulders, back armour, legs etc.

But the SDCC stuff they showed had N7 emblems and different armour from the concept art.
that female's pose is so ridiculous.

Well, I mean, there's going to be different armors. That's a given.

So there's not much point in looking at that :p

That pose is only really silly if it's supposed to be static, if she's in the middle of pivoting on that foot it's really not that unreasonable.

Well, I mean, there's going to be different armors. That's a given.

So there's not much point in looking at that :p

That pose is only really silly if it's supposed to be static, if she's in the middle of pivoting on that foot it's really not that unreasonable.
I think it's just supposed to just be a provocative womanly pose, which just makes it silly to me imo. But I guess I'm usually in the minority with this train of thought.

DOWN

Banned

The posture on that female is wild lmao. Static position or not, they made her pose that way for a reason.

diaspora

The SDCC stuff is old isn't it? Like before it even got announced as Andromeda and prior to the release of the ARKCON coloured suit.

Karl2177

I watched a video of Javik talking about the Rachni in his cycle. I've been playing through ME1 and I had a crazy thought. Were the Rachni intended to be related to the Keepers, but it got cut? Javik talks about how the Rachni were smart and brutal in his cycle, and they'd be the only species that we know that survived a Reaper invasion. They have similar limb and muscle systems with the Rachni having more arthropod-like features.

I watched a video of Javik talking about the Rachni in his cycle. I've been playing through ME1 and I had a crazy thought. Were the Rachni intended to be related to the Keepers, but it got cut? Javik talks about how the Rachni were smart and brutal in his cycle, and they'd be the only species that we know that survived a Reaper invasion. They have similar limb and muscle systems with the Rachni having more arthropod-like features.

Wasn't it hinted that the Keepers are cyborgs or androids, manufactured deep within the Citadel? Whereas Rachni are 100% organic.

Dave_6

Just buy the trilogy and all the DLC through Origin, it's ridiculously easy. Add them as non-Steam titles later if you want.

I got all three separately on PC. There's only one edition of ME1. ME2 has a special edition for $10 more but you're basically paying $10 for ugly Collector armor...so I got the regular ME2. I went for the special edition of ME3 because it's $10 more (the price of From Ashes) and includes From Ashes and some bonus armor.

The whole Bioware points thing on Origin is ridiculously simple and easy. It's just expensive but there's nothing you can do about it.

Then I added all three games to Steam so I could play through Steam Link.

Thanks guys, I will just buy the trilogy on Origin then!

Kabouter

The same way the Protheans became the Collectors. They were a race the Reapers re-purposed for Citadel maintenance.

Yep. It seems extremely unlikely that they would be related to the Rachni though. For one thing, we know for a fact that the keepers were around already in the Prothean cycle since they messed with their response to Sovereign's signal. It's hard to imagine the Rachni having survived not one but two cullings. Plus, you'd think with countless cycles already behind them, the Reapers would have long settled on their go-to creature for Citadel management. Makes more sense that the keepers were created from some race in one of the first cycles.

Yep. It seems extremely unlikely that they would be related to the Rachni though. For one thing, we know for a fact that the keepers were around already in the Prothean cycle since they messed with their response to Sovereign's signal. It's hard to imagine the Rachni having survived not one but two cullings. Plus, you'd think with countless cycles already behind them, the Reapers would have long settled on their go-to creature for Citadel management. Makes more sense that the keepers were created from some race in one of the first cycles.

I seem to recall from ME1, either dialogue or the codex, that the keepers had actually been around so long they evolved to only respond to signals from the citadel, not from the reapers themselves. Hence problems arose after the Protheans sabotaged the citadel.

There are human, turian, asari, and cross-species hybrids from Shepard's cycle. The story of Mass Effect 1-3 covered less than a decade. The Prothean war lasted centuries. The rachni wouldn't need to have survived two cycles if the keepers were created and refined early in that war.

I seem to recall from ME1, either dialogue or the codex, that the keepers had actually been around so long they evolved to only respond to signals from the citadel, not from the reapers themselves. Hence problems arose after the Protheans sabotaged the citadel.
That was based on the counsel races' limited understanding of the keepers. Basically it was a guess made without knowledge of the Reapers.

And if they spoke directly to the citadel, that means they only took orders from the entity that created the Reapers.
That would also suggest the catalyst/entity/whatever allowed the Prothean sabatage to see what new variables it would bring. I like to think it viewed reaping as a game after so many iterations.

That said, I don't think the keepers are rachni, but if Bioware came out and said they were it would make sense. The theory seems sound enough...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The rachni...another one of mass effect 3s major failings.

DOWN

Banned
who here is feeling desperate like me after that freakin delay and is now considering paying $60 for No Man's Sky to get some of that open exploration ME1 astronaut feels 2016 edition? I seriously don't see the price being right for me but my internal sorrow says softly "buy that game"

Mindlog

I was always going to buy No Man's Sky.
The rachni...another one of mass effect 3s major failings.
In my headcanon the Rachni I freed devastated fringe colonies and the Terminus Systems, but ultimately (along with the Geth) proved instrumental in modifying the Crucible to free each trapped civilization from the Reaper gestalt.

DOWN

Banned
that same-y garbage I'd be sad.

Let's not. Everyone knows Mass Effect's potential was limited by tech and that's why those with the credibility to speak and decide on the concept have elected to bring it back to the series now that they have new hardware to take it beyond the first iteration as reasonable players hoped they would always do. BioWare themselves said they had trouble with technology but always hoped they would find a way to bring back the brilliance of the exploration, hence testing Firewalker via DLC and the eventual return of the Mako for Andromeda.

diaspora

Let's not. Everyone knows Mass Effect's potential was limited by tech and that's why those with the credibility to speak and decide on the concept have elected to bring it back to the series now that they have new hardware to take it beyond the first iteration as reasonable players hoped they would always do. BioWare themselves said they had trouble with technology but always hoped they would find a way to bring back the brilliance of the exploration, hence testing Firewalker via DLC and the eventual return of the Mako for Andromeda.
What we got with ME1's fake exploration was dogshit, so no, there are no feels for NMS to bring back.

What we got with ME1's fake exploration was dogshit, so no, there are no feels for NMS to bring back.
Maybe not for you. I loved the uncharted worlds and they absolutely added to the wonder and scale of the ME universe for me. I also never had any issue with Mako controls, but that's another subject.
I also don't mind the Batmobile

diaspora

Maybe not for you. I loved the uncharted worlds and they absolutely added to the wonder and scale of the ME universe for me. I also never had any issue with Mako controls, but that's another subject.
I also don't mind the Batmobile

There were little to no uncharted worlds, you were landing on planets that had been explored 99% of the time. It's why there was usually some variation of that bullshit building with a million clones.

The purpose of Andromeda and NMS is to explore the frontier, ME1 never really had that since the Council had already seen almost every planet you can visit.

Karl2177

Normally when I play ME1, I play through on Xbox, but this is the first time going through on PC for me. I thought the Mako was fine on Xbox, but ho-boy is it terrible on PC. I wish there was a way I could use the controller mod for just the Mako and then use KB/M for everything else.

Also, did MEUITM fix Earth? I always remember it being backwards on Xbox, but in the version I'm playing it's fixed.

I just built a rockin' new PC, and I think I want to play through this series again. On amzn, I can order the physical disk for around $15. I see this activates it under Origin for me. Do I buy all the DLC through there? Which DLC is worth it again? I can't recall.

Also, which mods should I install to make these look pretty :)

Thank you!!

diaspora

I just built a rockin' new PC, and I think I want to play through this series again. On amzn, I can order the physical disk for around $15. I see this activates it under Origin for me. Do I buy all the DLC through there? Which DLC is worth it again? I can't recall.

Also, which mods should I install to make these look pretty :)

Thank you!!

You can get all the DLC through Origin, yes. In terms of mods, for ME1 check out MEUTIM, and for ME2, you can check out ALOT.

ALOT was a pain in the ass to install, took like 2 hours at least since Garrus' texture kept going shithouse but once I got it 100% running it was stunning (4k textures lordy).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If you want my opinion, all DLCs are worth it(except the weapon and costume ones of course), but then that would mean you'll have to pay nearly 100$ in DLC, which is insane.

But if you want to buy only 2 DLCs per game, i'd say Shadow Broker & Project Overlord for ME2, and Citadel & From the Ashes for ME3.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I forgot how much ME2 DLCs are nowadays, but ME DLC never goes on sale on PC and the price have been the same since their release.

From Ashes : 10$
Leviathan : 10$
Omega : 15$
Citadel : 15$

That 50$ right there just for ME3.
I assume ME2 DLCs are a little less expensive, so it might be less than 100$ in total after all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 75$. I think the DLC for Zaeed come for free, but you still have Kasumi, Arrival, Shadow Broker and Project Overlord to buy.

Patryn

I feel an argument could made for Kasumi over Project Overlord, but otherwise I think I agree with your suggestions.

Then again, I tend to run ME2 with Zaeed and Kasumi as my squad.

Getting into Mass Effect late is like buying an older car to fix up. You can get the base thing pretty cheaply but the repairs and parts are going to cost you. Sure, you can just drive that stock CRX around, but you know you're cheating yourself if you don't get the DLC.

You can skip Firewalker (I personally like it) and Omega (good but ultimately inconsequential).

I should note that I have already played through the series twice (err ME3 only once though). I am just getting the PC version, and I wanted to get all the DLC to play again as well. I guess I won't though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom