• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
ok but its a bit ridiculous that they'll have spent 5 years on Andromeda basically. they confirmed a sequel way back then and they are using a great engine and i don't get why the wait is so long but since this is bioware's first non-cross gen game I'm looking forward to the spectacle because inquisition looked great despite them openly stating that last gen made things difficult and caused them to have to cut some of the intensive features they planned

ok but its a bit ridiculous that they'll have spent 5 years on Andromeda basically. they confirmed a sequel way back then and they are using a great engine and i don't get why the wait is so long but since this is bioware's first non-cross gen game I'm looking forward to the spectacle because inquisition looked great despite them openly stating that last gen made things difficult and caused them to have to cut some of the intensive features they planned

I could be wrong, but I think this may have started out as a very different game. I vaguely remember something about an FPS during the first contact war.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I could be wrong, but I think this may have started out as a very different game. I vaguely remember something about an FPS during the first contact war.

You're just thinking about rumors people made back in the day when Bioware didn't want to say if the game was a sequel or not. Prequel(First Contact mostly) rumors were popular back then.

I think they tried to make some FPS back in 2010, but I think it never went farther than some prototype. Not sure how trustworthy that video is though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSy33Cc_96I

Patryn

You're just thinking about rumors people made back in the day when Bioware didn't want to say if the game was a sequel or not. Prequel(First Contact mostly) rumors were popular back then.

I think they tried to make some FPS back in 2010, but I think it never went farther than some prototype. Not sure how trustworthy that video is though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSy33Cc_96I
Yeah, sources have said they talked about doing a First Contact game, but it's uncertain if it was going to be a spinoff or the next major game in the series.

Regardless, fan sentiment killed the idea pretty early on. Certainly before any major work was done on it.

The length of time is likely due to the fact that it's a new generation, a new studio taking the lead, and then Bioware moving to the Ubi model of all hands on deck, meaning the studio was focused on helping with Dragon Age for a while there.

Mass Effect 3 being criticized for being rushed probably also helped for a slower approach this time.

Almost finished with my ME1 replay. Bring Down the Sky is awesome. It's got all the best elements of Mass Effect - awesome space environment, lots of combat, some humor (the radio station), suspense, heavy drama, crazy-looking aliens, and vehicle combat.

Mindlog

Almost finished with my ME1 replay. Bring Down the Sky is awesome. It's got all the best elements of Mass Effect - awesome space environment, lots of combat, some humor (the radio station), suspense, heavy drama, crazy-looking aliens, and vehicle combat.
One of my favorite lose-lose endings that never paid off like I hoped it would.

Drazgul

I've played ME1 like 3-4 times, ME2 once w/o dlc, ME3 never. I think it finally may be the time to play the entire trilogy. Are there any mods or anything like that on the PC I should know about or am I basically good to go?

Bisnic

I've played ME1 like 3-4 times, ME2 once w/o dlc, ME3 never. I think it finally may be the time to play the entire trilogy. Are there any mods or anything like that on the PC I should know about or am I basically good to go?

If you don't care about HD or controller mods, you should be fine.

There is some console commands you could use to ease the shitty parts of each games like free minerals in ME2 to avoid planet scanning, or 100% XP for kills made with the Mako in ME1(instead of 50%), so you don't have to always get out of the vehicule for kills, or full Paragon or Renegade points so you can choose the dialogues you want, not the ones you're forced to... stuff like that.

You can find these commands (or PC tweaks) in the Mass Effect Wikia.

Drazgul

Yeah those sound like worthwhile tweaks, I didn't mind doing the planet scanning etc. once, but since it was essentially just mindless filler I'd rather not do it again.

Bisnic

Would it screw up my PC save file if I used a console command to give my squad Colossus armor?

Not sure why that would screw it. I used a few console commands myself for ME1 that were a lot more cheating than giving yourself an armor, and it worked fine.

Anyone ever bought that N7 hoodie? I'm a skinny 6'2" guy, is medium going to be too big? It's what I usually, but you never know with online stores...

http://www.biowarestore.com/brands/mass-effect/n7-armour-stripe-hoody-mk-ii.html

Is it worth it? Mind you, it's probably gonna cost me 80$CAN.
I'm thin and 5'10" and I find the small to be larger than I'd like. I actually don't wear it very often because I prefer more fitted clothing, but you've got the extra height on me so it might be a better fit for you.

Anyone ever bought that N7 hoodie? I'm a skinny 6'2" guy, is medium going to be too big? It's what I usually wear, but you never know with online stores...

http://www.biowarestore.com/brands/mass-effect/n7-armour-stripe-hoody-mk-ii.html

Is it worth it? Mind you, it's probably gonna cost me 80$CAN.
I have it...sizing was fine for me but I'm 5'6" so take that comment with a grain of salt.

It's really thick and well made. In fact I don't wear it as much as I normally would since I'm usually so hot in it. But up in Canada, it might be just right :)

The original MK I grey one was even thicker!

Bisnic

I have it...sizing was fine for me but I'm 5'6" so take that comment with a grain of salt.

It's really thick and well made. In fact I don't wear it as much as I normally would since I'm usually so hot in it. But up in Canada, it might be just right :)

The original MK I grey one was even thicker!

Yeah, I always have to wear something more thick than a shirt during winter because i often get cold in my apartment, especially when using my computer with the cold chair and cold desk(stupid heater don't seem to work on them lol).

Patryn

Wait what? Which safehouse guy is he voicing?

Also, while nothing like ME, it's somehow scratching a ME itch.

He's the computer ISAC. So when you are out and about doing the smaller random missions likes Virus Research, it's his voice telling you you're entering a contaminated area and what to do and the like.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed.

And I wouldn't say it's nothing like ME. Cover-based shooter with 2 abilities you set on the bumpers?

diaspora

He's the computer ISAC. So when you are out and about doing the smaller random missions likes Virus Research, it's his voice telling you you're entering a contaminated area and what to do and the like.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed.
I've put in less time than I've liked thanks to work. I'll have to wander into a contaminated area to check it out. It's weird because I noticed Ashley's VO immediately on an NPC in Fallout 4.

Patryn

I've put in less time than I've liked thanks to work. I'll have to wander into a contaminated area to check it out. It's weird because I noticed Ashley's VO immediately on an NPC in Fallout 4.

Do a Hostage Rescue, Virus Research, or Supply Drop and you'll hear his voice.

I notice Jennifer Hale in like every other game lol

She's a great actress though, her other characters never sound like Shepard.

Any idea how I can get the Blood Dragon armor in ME2 PC? I tried adding the "Dragon Age DLC Bundle" thing to my account but I don't think it ever showed up in Origin on in-game.

Also is it possible to get the Terminus Assault armor in ME2 PC? It was pre-order only...

Me3 has been on my mind lately...ugh. Despite how horrible the ending is I definitely owe it to myself to one day do a full trinomial playthrough. Even if that means buying it all again on Ps3.

Me3 has been on my mind lately...ugh. Despite how horrible the ending is I definitely owe it to myself to one day do a full trinomial playthrough. Even if that means buying it all again on Ps3.

I'm replaying the trilogy on PC with all the DLC and really looking forward to ME3. I played and beat it at launch and it kind of soured me to the whole thing, so I'm excited to play it with the extended DLC and the Citadel.

diaspora

I need a new screenshot tool. The Xbox app only works in borderless fullscreen but I need something that gets screengrabs and clips with reshade on which Steam doesn't provide.

I'm replaying the trilogy on PC with all the DLC and really looking forward to ME3. I played and beat it at launch and it kind of soured me to the whole thing, so I'm excited to play it with the extended DLC and the Citadel.
I think the only time I actually ever was a PC gamer was when I had gta3 for it back when I was like 12. I was a kid but I honestly didn't like it. I like using my computer for things other than games. No disrespect to PC gaming, to each their own, you know. Console gaming is for me.

I also tried to run DMW2 on my Mac and it worked but it was so fucked up. Anyways enough of my rant. Just keeping ME in my thoughts...
keeping that mental fanfic coming

Ralemont

not me
spoiler (I guess)
yes I believe so, it's that same busted up skin from post his recruitment mission. but then there's a new skin that unlocks when you complete the loyalty mission

you can also buy an alternate armor skin DLC. I have no regrets as all the DLC skins look awesome.

mass_effect_2_alternate_appearence_packs_dlc.jpg

diaspora

The more I play The Division, the more I realize there are a lot of things a game like Mass Effect can learn from it. I'm not talking about being an open world online game which I don't want ME to become. Rather, there are gameplay and storytelling mechanics Bioware can co-opt and would fit really well in the series.

First, is the way The Division fleshes out the narrative. Massive has spread out found footage across the map where you can see the activities of the Rikers, Cleaners, and gangbangers and offers a brief window into their world. As far as fleshing out the lore is concerned, the "echoes" have been really effective in my eyes. There's a side mission for example where you can follow a string of echoes where you learn that
one of the big pharma companies in NYC refused to bother researching a cure and instead tried to offer a drug to temporarily relieve symptoms and in the end the whistleblower was killed.
This lets Massive add story and lore content to the game without having to make a ton of cutscenes and without boring the audience with text codexes/grimoire cards. ME2 had something similar with the videos you can find in the derelict Reaper

Second is the armor system. I've gone at length about the Inquisition armor system and how ME can take cues from it. Massive goes a bit further and offers equippable clothes that allow you to customize your character without making them look ridiculous based on the armor you're wearing.

Patryn

The more I play The Division, the more I realize there are a lot of things a game like Mass Effect can learn from it. I'm not talking about being an open world online game which I don't want ME to become. Rather, there are gameplay and storytelling mechanics Bioware can co-opt and would fit really well in the series.

First, is the way The Division fleshes out the narrative. Massive has spread out found footage across the map where you can see the activities of the Rikers, Cleaners, and gangbangers and offers a brief window into their world. As far as fleshing out the lore is concerned, the "echoes" have been really effective in my eyes. There's a side mission for example where you can follow a string of echoes where you learn that
one of the big pharma companies in NYC refused to bother researching a cure and instead tried to offer a drug to temporarily relieve symptoms and in the end the whistleblower was killed.
This lets Massive add story and lore content to the game without having to make a ton of cutscenes and without boring the audience with text codexes/grimoire cards. ME2 had something similar with the videos you can find in the derelict Reaper

Second is the armor system. I've gone at length about the Inquisition armor system and how ME can take cues from it. Massive goes a bit further and offers equippable clothes that allow you to customize your character without making them look ridiculous based on the armor you're wearing.
I'd definitely be supportive of separating cosmetic and actual armor, but I wouldn't want them to skimp on the cosmetic options.

I really like having more than 2 options for how our squadmates look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom