• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_rus

What's the point of sticking that Frostbite 3 logo there? It's not like you can license the engine or have any choice here.

He looks the same. It's just a profile view.

2qBWxbM.png

be3663efef4ecaba05ce9d337c0b56a1.png

This is a in-game screenshot, where low polys are used to conserve resources.
Cinematic and conversation Jaal will look much better.

Unreal Engine 3 never had this issue rendering Shepard nearly identical in both cutscenes and in-game, why are we regressing with Frostbite?

DevilDog

Unreal Engine 3 never had this issue rendering Shepard nearly identical in both cutscenes and in-game, why are we regressing with Frostbite?

Shepard rendered like ass in the OT dawg. UE3 also couldn't handle something other than corridors. And when it didn't, it was the ME1 citadel situation or looong stairways to hide the loading screens.

Here we have monumental amounts of scale that the Frostbite engine was built for, plus much more complex rendering,lighting,rigging techniques etc, you get the idea.
It's counter productive to have high poly assets in an area of the game where the player won't notice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jaal looks exactly the same to me, the only difference being asset complexity reduction due to gameplay model, and the different angle.

No its definitely not a sexualization issue EatChildren. No one here is arguing for beautiful Asari. My complaint is that instead of looking like a distinct race as they did in the trilogy the Asari models to date look like messy amalgamations of LA Noire face-capture where neither ends of the spectrum are quite right and it's super distracting.

I shouldn't be looking at the image Killzig posted above and be immediately seeing a human face thats been painted over and ridges grafted on. You throw up a side-by-side comparison image of a human and an asari in Mass Effect 3 and the similarities begin and end with the fact that both have eyes, a nose, and a mouth.

The best way I could describe it is if someone was cosplaying an Asari poorly in-game. You don't see an Asari but rather a human face pretending to be one.

Maybe it'll appear less noticable after playing the game for a while, I dunno.

I don't know what to say other than I absolutely do not agree at all. Asari facial structure in the trilogy is almost if not identical to that of a conventionally attractive human woman, and their alien qualities are mostly confined to the head testicles, skin tones and texture, and facial markings.

Key characters like Samara were directly based on real people for geometry reference.
1529670-ranasamara.jpg

As DevilDog noted, many Asari in the trilogy share the exact same face and simply differ in facial markings. This is deliberate as a means to conserve memory due to the limited hardware, of which is largely a non-factor now.

EDIT: It seems I might be misreading and you just feel that the Asari currently look like a human face slapped on a model without organic, believable shaping. I don't agree with that either, but eh.

2qBWxbM.png

I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't use some sort of lesser LOD at higher distances in Mass Effect 3.

Also, maybe they weren't able to swap cutscene shepard with a higher quality model back then?

Shepard rendered like ass in the OT dawg. UE3 also couldn't handle something other than corridors. And when it didn't, it was the ME1 citadel situation or looong stairways to hide the loading screens.

Here we have monumental amounts of scale that the Frostbite engine was built for, plus much more complex rendering,lighting,rigging techniques etc, you get the idea.
It's counter productive to have high poly assets in an area of the game where the player won't notice.

So then we admit it is a failing on the engines part. I guess that explains the atrocious 3rd person camera angle that completely takes you out of the experience in almost 60%+ of the conversations in Inquisition.

A real shame.

DevilDog

So then we admit it is a failing on the engines part. I guess that explains the atrocious 3rd person camera angle that completely takes you out of the experience in almost 60%+ of the conversations in Inquisition.

A real shame.

No it's not a failing of the engine, they could do it if they wanted to. They just chose not to.

I'm guessing the camera angles in Inquisition were there to avoid having to animate the conversations meticulously.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is it, my new Garrus/Thane/Legion/Javik, the cool as fuck alien that go with me to almost every mission.

Yeah, since this is our only non-DLC (assuming they release more squadmates later) Andromedian squadmate, I'm guessing he's going to have interesting dialogue when bringing him in our missions.

Probably going to bring him and the Krogan with me on my first playthrough as soon as I can have both at the same time.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, since this is our only non-DLC (assuming they release more squadmates later) Andromedian squadmate, I'm guessing he's going to have interesting dialogue when bringing him in our missions.

Probably going to bring him and the Krogan with me on my first playthrough as soon as I can have both at the same time.

I'm hoping there are some more circumstances which dictate certain squadmates over others in certain situations. You had that to a degree depending on playstyle, but I'd be interested to see if they could do it here in other ways.

I'd also like to see more situations like the ME2 suicide mission where you have the ability to task characters in various ways rather than having most of them just rotting on the shuttle/ship. I was disappointed ME3 didn't do anything with this.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm hoping there are some more circumstances which dictate certain squadmates over others in certain situations. You had that to a degree depending on playstyle, but I'd be interested to see if they could do it here in other ways.

I'd also like to see more situations like the ME2 suicide mission where you have the ability to task characters in various ways rather than having most of them just rotting on the shuttle/ship. I was disappointed ME3 didn't do anything with this.

The only time Shepard ever bring the whole crew in ME3 is for fighting his/her own clone lol.

But fighting Reapers on Earth or Cerberus on the Citadel?
"Sorry guys, I don't want to bring the whole crew to save millions/billions of people. No hard feelings right? Oh, but make sure you're ready in case we have to fight some evil clone you know?"

X-Frame

A tanky Sentinel Turian female. Two awesome things, definitely liking her already.

Hope she has a cool looking and powerful blast/shockwave type thing when her power armor goes down. Damn that blast was so fun in ME2 when the force was fully upgraded.

The Assault Sentinel with a Shotgun was my favorite SP build in all 3 Mass Effects. Nothing was as fun for me, I must have done 3 Sentinel playthroughs in ME2 alone.

Sou Da

Always weird to me how Sentinel went from the dual caster to the tanky debuffer. I like the change but it's odd in retrospect.

It's also the one class I played in all 3 games.

The Assault Sentinel with a Shotgun was my favorite SP build in all 3 Mass Effects. Nothing was as fun for me, I must have done 3 Sentinel playthroughs in ME2 alone.

Yea one of my favorite ME2 playthroughs for sure. Was just a shame you had to wait so long to get the shotgun which is the most fun way to play an aggressive Sentinel. The wait was absolutely worth it, though :D

Killzig

Hey Shinobi, do you know if anyone outside of BioWare has access to the full game yet? I'm seeing some 'leaks' flying around and want to know if it's really time to bail on all threads/comments around the web yet.

diaspora

Definitely ok with this. Paragon and Renegade had become vestigial at best, and I like the tone stuff from Dragon Age.

I also liked that final choice.

Angry Inquisitor disbanding the Inquisition is the best. "I'm off to save the world... AGAIN."
Angry choices were fucking amazing in Trespasser.

"could one thing in this fucking world just stay fixed?"

BouncyFrag

Any word on how the PS4 and Xbone versions run? I let my ps+ membership lapse and mostly game on the Xbone with gold and plan on putting an unhealthy amount of time into the multiplayer.

So are we expecting that gameplay preview on a specific day next week? Wednesday or Thursday probably? Those seem to be the go to days when big stuff comes out so far.

Mindlog

Sentinels were even more useful in the follow up series because overload and warp could easily blast any enemy defenses. Also they had the whole thing going for them.
D4gHcQt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom