• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renekton

Sentinels were even more useful in the follow up series because overload and warp could easily blast any enemy defenses. Also they had the whole thing going for them.
D4gHcQt.jpg
Injustice 2: hold my beer

Bombless

Sentinels were even more useful in the follow up series because overload and warp could easily blast any enemy defenses. Also they had the whole thing going for them.
D4gHcQt.jpg

I still laugh at that scene when you shoot down the container and splatter Eclipse all over the cargo bay floor.

Hmm, hopefully that's just how it looks on Turians. I need that glorious full-body protection redundancy.

And cutscenes, I want to see it in cutscenes like in Mass Effect 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If they're clever they'll have coverage and layers scale with tech armour level.

SliChillax

Found this info dump on reddit, not sure if it's all old news but here you go
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5t53hi/mass_effect_andromedas_pc_gamer_uk_article_side/

There are also over a dozen ‘hubs' in addition to the planet areas, including the Nexus, a Citadel-like space station, and Kadara, a populated zone that looks like a more cyberpunk version of a Wild West town from Firefly.
There is no 'big bad' like the Reapers, no overarching threat.
The story is slightly more optimistic bent, 'instead of barreling towards certain doom'
The stories are 'of a more casual nature', says Michael Gamble
"The Reapers had basically attacked and everything had all gone to shit. It's really hard to have a story about an individual, their struggles, their personal crises. For Andromeda we wanted to remove that a little bit so that we can tell stories of exploration, stories of a more casual nature. We definitely want to take on a bit of a lighter tone, for sure."
Father passes down Pathfinder job 'for as-yet-unknown reasons' in first act
Some of the Initiative apparantly 'broke off and formed factions'
Planets will have enemy bases to clear out, powerful optional enemies and areas to scan for crafting opportunities
There are also puzzle-locked vaults to uncover
"One of the things that was very critical for us early on was this saying that when we develop these planets, each one needs its own story and its own history, its own backstory and its reason for existing."
”We are approaching the completionist aspect very differently, because we've done and learned a lot from Inquisition. But we've also observed what other games have been doing, like The Witcher. And it was very important for us that the quantity of scope doesn't downgrade the quality of whatever you are doing there."
Side quests are 'meaningful'.
Loyalty missions like in ME2
”The squad members that you have, whether they've arrived with you or whether they've come before or whether they'll come after – in addition to the kind of political game that's been going on already in Andromeda, that sets a cool ground for us to tell a lot of different side stories. The story is not only about the cast. The story is about settling, the story is about survival, the story is about the locals – and that's where the loyalties will definitely focus."
'Not everyone arrives at the same time, there are things going on in Andromeda that you have no control over.'
Cora is 'more militaristic and orders and rules based', Peebee will appeal to those who think adventure is fun
Interrupts return
'The ability to express tone and different emotions to many NPCs in the game, and have different reactions from them based on that, is not just exclusive to your love interests anymore. It's kind of sprinkled more throughout the game.'
Instead of rolling you use a dash attack and cover is automatic
Story missions are a little more arena-like (than out in the open world)
Space (the map) is more 3D than 2D

Patryn

D4gHcQt.jpg

Definitely got less useful in ME3 when the Tech Armor added a cooldown penalty.

Found it interesting how Sentinels went from possibly the most squishy class that relied on casts in ME1 to a front-line tank by ME3.

Patryn

Sentinels were super tanky in ME1, with access to two shield cooldowns. Possibly the tankiest class all series.

You're right. What I probably should have focused on was their transition from a caster class to one that was more about guns and firepower.

You're right. What I probably should have focused on was their transition from a caster class to one that was more about guns and firepower.

I hope they do something interesting with the Tech Armor detonation - I like the image of soaking up enemy damage and throwing it back in their face (especially if you reflect back specific damage types.)

Sentinel is my least played class though. I'll stick with my much favored Infiltrator for Andromeda.

Patryn

I hope they do something interesting with the Tech Armor detonation - I like the image of soaking up enemy damage and throwing it back in their face (especially if you reflect back specific damage types.)

Sentinel is my least played class though. I'll stick with my much favored Infiltrator for Andromeda.

Sentinel is my favorite class in ME1, but I've never completed a run of ME2 with it, although I've gotten about halfway a couple of times. Just get bored. It doesn't play the way I want to play.

Never attempted in ME3, the cooldown penalty is a total turnoff.

Quite honestly the tiny cooldown impediment is overblown. At worst it adds an extra second or two without upgrades and if you specifically build into the trees and don't carry around 15 weapons at all times you end up being able to continously spam overload, throw, warp, and lash as fast as an adept.

And it's also ignoring the fact that even on insanity in ME3 you don't need to use your powers, at all. You're able to brute force every fight with ease with a sniper rifle or assault rifle on any class.

I'm not even sure what the point of detonating tech armor is when maintaining the extra shield bonus and just shooting an up-close enemy is way more constructive. Shits and giggles maybe?

Quite honestly the tiny cooldown impediment is overblown. At worst it adds an extra second or two without upgrades and if you specifically build into the trees and don't carry around 15 weapons at all times you end up being able to continously spam overload, throw, warp, and lash as fast as an adept.

And it's also ignoring the fact that even on insanity in ME3 you don't need to use your powers, at all. You're able to brute force every fight with ease with a sniper rifle or assault rifle on any class.

I'm not even sure what the point of detonating tech armor is when maintaining the extra shield bonus and just shooting an up-close enemy is way more constructive. Shits and giggles maybe?
I agree. At first, I found it annoying as I was used to spamming abilities. Then I started carrying only 2 weapons, and specced and geared for recharge. I was spamming like mad again. I don't think I ever used tech explosion to any beneficial result.

I love Sentinel though. I'm not the greatest at shooter combat, so it gives me more survivability, and plenty of ways to do damage that doesn't rely on precision aiming.

X-Frame

A tanky Sentinel Turian female. Two awesome things, definitely liking her already.

Hope she has a cool looking and powerful blast/shockwave type thing when her power armor goes down. Damn that blast was so fun in ME2 when the force was fully upgraded.

I'm seeing thoughts that Peebee will be the team Sentinel. Apparently she has biotic and tech abilities together. Maybe Vetra isn't a Sentinel but rather a Soldier? Her Power Armor could be used for a Soldier too I suppose.

And apparently Cora has Biotic Charge in her skills so she may be a Vanguard and not Adept.

Apologies if I am late to this speculation.

Killzig

I'm seeing thoughts that Peebee will be the team Sentinel. Apparently she has biotic and tech abilities together. Maybe Vetra isn't a Sentinel but rather a Soldier? Her Power Armor could be used for a Soldier too I suppose.

And apparently Cora has Biotic Charge in her skills so she may be a Vanguard and not Adept.

Apologies if I am late to this speculation.
Sounds about right, though I think they're trying to bring the new skill system to the forefront so I expect the squadmates won't adhere that closely to the old classes. Aren't we allowed to level them up for the most part too?

MP picture featuring tall decked out Salarian.

MP_Blog-1024x624.jpg

Also the MP sign ups are closed.

Salarian Engineer was the broken platinum class for so long. I loved it.

I really hope I get an invite. I signed up for PC but it's giving me a warning my PlayStation account isn't linked. How can I do that when I've never played an EA game on my Playstation 4?

I really hope I get an invite. I signed up for PC but it's giving me a warning my PlayStation account isn't linked. How can I do that when I've never played an EA game on my Playstation 4?

Er, the multiplayer test signups were for PS4 and Xbox One only.

Zukkoyaki

I've been so busy thinking about the single player that this may be the first time I've actually given MP any thought. The MP in ME3 was so damn good! They could literally just re-release it with some new gear and maps and I'd be all over it.

Mindlog

Sai

That infodump from PC Gamer's got me excited. Especially this:

• ”We are approaching the completionist aspect very differently, because we've done and learned a lot from Inquisition. But we've also observed what other games have been doing, like The Witcher. And it was very important for us that the quantity of scope doesn't downgrade the quality of whatever you are doing there."
    [*]Side quests are 'meaningful'.
I know some folks were just so tired of the open world formula that even the way Wild Hunt handled side objectives/points of interest seemed like a chore, but so many of them seemed very natural... If that makes any sense. I think EatChildren described it perfectly a while back; not sure if it was here or in his review.

I loved that aspect of it, and I hope Bioware does a good job of reproducing it in Andromeda.

Renekton

I'm drawing a blank ... what was strong about Salarian Engineer?

Well... I completed my final renegade (colonist/sole survivor) infiltrator playthrough

Du6sxug.jpg

It's the first time I role play as a renegade without going full asshole/psychopath, I was getting bored of the perfect paragon boy scout, I enjoyed it a lot. 1 thing I learned, kill balak on every single playthrough from now on lol.

I know I'm LTTP with this but one thing I noted playing through the ending again is how anti climatic your fight against Marauder Shields is. You go from a really intense moment (running to the beam, people dying around you, the final goodbye to your LI) to pure anger and frustration. I get it, you're so close to the beam and some the reapers are trying to stop you it's all part of the narrative but what's the fucking point of that guy? just add more husks. I always play on hardcore, it's a nice middle ground, I had to reload once to adjust my aim a little but it completely ruined the moment.

Yeul

I know I'm LTTP with this but one thing I noted playing through the ending again is how anti climatic your fight against Marauder Shields is. You go from a really intense moment (running to the beam, people dying around you, the final goodbye to your LI) to pure anger and frustration. I get it, you're so close to the beam and some the reapers are trying to stop you it's all part of the narrative but what's the fucking point of that guy? just add more husks. I always play on hardcore, it's a nice middle ground, I had to reload once to adjust my aim a little but it completely ruined the moment.

You know how the story goes, he died for your sins etc. etc.

I guess the beans were spilled on twitter that there's a doctor (on the tempest?) named Lexi? I'm going to hazard a guess and say she's not as old as Dr. Chakwas was.

Brace yourselves for doctor romance fanfics.

Ah, I guess not everyone on the project is on the same page with leaks then. The voice actor seemed surprised on twitter when someone knew about her.

Two Asari on the ship, hmm. I wonder if there'll be conflict between her and Pelessaria then.

Er, the multiplayer test signups were for PS4 and Xbox One only.

Ok... I did PS4. I clearly forgot. My PS4 account still isn't linked though because I've never played an EA game on it. How do I?

I'm drawing a blank ... what was strong about Salarian Engineer?

They could create a clone that drew enemy fire. Had incinerate and energy drain to bolster their own shields.

Lt-47

Has there been any mention of how well the Xbone version will run? Not a stickler for graphics but just curious.

900p 30fps. And if DA:I and BF1 are any indication it will probably looks like a blurrier PS4 version with a slightly better framerate. Otherwise you'll probably have to wait for the EA access for more specific user feedback on the port.

900p 30fps. And if DA:I and BF1 are any indication it will probably looks like a blurrier PS4 version with a slightly better framerate. Otherwise you'll probably have to wait for the EA access for more specific user feedback on the port.

Cool thanks. Stuck between going with Xbone to play mp with irl friends vs pc on my slightly more capable gaming laptop

prag16

Banned
Surprise surprise, the side quest topic in Gaming went to shit almost immediately. The last couple topics before that weren't TOO bad, so I guess we were due.

Surprise surprise, the side quest topic in Gaming went to shit almost immediately. The last couple topics before that weren't TOO bad, so I guess we were due.

I think it kind of goes to show the extent that the first post shapes the thread, tbh. Shit hot take? Thread is full of shit hot takes.

Was debating internally whether to pre-order the regular version or the deluxe version.

Decided to go with regular once they revealed the look of the extras outfits, I didn't like them tbh.

Now to play the waiting game (or you know, continue playing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom