• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

the lack of an MP beta on PC is pure bullshit, but at least it can be played early with Origin Access

People would datamine all the story and content from beta, think of that horror! We can't have that so we will use Origin Access to test if game even runs on PC's that are in wild out there.

kosmologi

MP picture featuring tall decked out Salarian.

MP_Blog-1024x624.jpg

Also the MP sign ups are closed.

Why, why do we have to have samurai swords and all that ME3 c**p again? I was hoping that Andromeda would return to the more realistic artstyle.

Lt-47

Why, why do we have to have samurai swords and all that ME3 c**p again? I was hoping that Andromeda would return to the more realistic artstyle.

Mass Effect never had a realistic art style and I don't see what wrong with this sword design. And if meant that it make no sense to have sword in ME, rule of cool and gameplay have trumped lore since ME2.

Because the swords (especially the sword-wielding MP classes) were pretty baller in ME3 and people with a sense of fun will be glad to see them back in MEA?

Edit: Also, why did you censor crap.

HKA6A7

People would datamine all the story and content from beta, think of that horror! We can't have that so we will use Origin Access to test if game even runs on PC's that are in wild out there.

I doubt that's the case, after all, the original script leak was datamined from an accidental console release of the demo...

Patryn

Did you really censor the word crap? GAF don't give no fucks about language.

Regardless, I'm ok with melee weapons. I won't use them, since I'm the hang back and blast them with powers type of player, but I'm guessing a lot of Vanguards will love being able to charge and slice.

Did you really censor the word crap? GAF don't give no fucks about language.

Regardless, I'm ok with melee weapons. I won't use them, since I'm the hang back and blast them with powers type of player, but I'm guessing a lot of Vanguards will love being able to charge and slice.

Can confirm. N7 Shadow was hard as hell, but soooooo much fun. Combining her stuff with the Vanguard's advantage in toughness would be incredible.

Oh man, I'm thinking about a "charge and bash" class now... maybe have Charge, Nova, and Tech Armor as the 3 abilities? Run super light to avoid long cooldowns on the first two, maybe just a lightweight assault rifle and the melee weapon.

DevilDog

Because the swords (especially the sword-wielding MP classes) were pretty baller in ME3 and people with a sense of fun will be glad to see them back in MEA?

Edit: Also, why did you censor crap.
They are fun in a gameplay sense, that is why it's okay to have them in MP.

They are retarded in the narrative. Especially when the ninjas do 360 turns with their swords like they're trying to do a youtube montage.

HKA6A7

They are fun in a gameplay sense, that is why it's okay to have them in MP.

They are retarded in the narrative. Especially when the ninjas do 360 turns with their swords like they're trying to do a youtube montage.

I remember one of the books gave a simple reason to why blades, hammers and the like are used in battle:
They are too slow to be deflected by kinectic barriers.

This makes melee weapons relevant, since one can use shields to survive gunfire and get close to deal damage.

Still, I agree that they shouldn't go full "fantasy" ninja.

DevilDog

I remember one of the books gave a simple reason to why blades, hammers and the like are used in battle:
They are too slow to be deflected by kinectic barriers.

This makes melee weapons relevant, since one can use shields to survive gunfire and get close to deal damage.

Still, I agree that they shouldn't go full "fantasy" ninja.

No this is actually true, in ME1 melee attacks would go through the shield, and if they had a little health left it would actually finish them off.
The lore was actually so well made it could support swords/melee combat very well. "Shields only deflect stuff that travel in a X velocity and upwards, so that when soldiers try to sit on a chair, it doesn't fly away."

However ME2 happened and melee wouldn't go through shields. Cause fuck well throught out lore that supports cqc.

And then ME3 went full weeb.

I always assumed that the lack of CQC was due to the budget of the games.

Hey, Andromedans aren't supposed to have Mass Effect tech, right? Wonder how their shield equivalents work? Or if they even have any. It'd be a pretty big change to the combat to add another wrinkle to the tech/armor/barriers triangle.

Tovarisc

Hey, Andromedans aren't supposed to have Mass Effect tech, right? Wonder how their shield equivalents work? Or if they even have any. It'd be a pretty big change to the combat to add another wrinkle to the tech/armor/barriers triangle.

Reading lore behind tech (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_effect_field) it doesn't sound something that race(s) in Andromeda couldn't do or something very similar tech for shielding.

diaspora

Could just be electromagnetic. Either way AFAIK they didn't have relays I didn't know they didn't have Mass Effect tech in general.

DevilDog

Could just be electromagnetic. Either way AFAIK they didn't have relays I didn't know they didn't have Mass Effect tech in general.

How can someone produce shields from electromagnetism? It makes no sense.

We already have the element zero, it's not exclusive to this galaxy so why the hell don't Andromedians have it? (does the grammar make sense?)

diaspora

How can someone produce shields from electromagnetism? It makes no sense.

We already have the element zero, it's not exclusive to this galaxy so why the hell don't Andromedians got it? (does the grammar make sense?)

How does someone produce shields with the mass effect, the science in the series is asinine to begin with.

DevilDog

How does someone produce shields with the mass effect, the science in the series is asinine to begin with.

It makes sense in the frame it has set for it self. Element zero doesn't exist, and if it did, everything else would be derived from the socratean method of that presumption.

It would be asinine to just have teleportation in ME pop out of nowhere.

What a poor post.

Tovarisc

Do we, as in humans, even have theory how we would go about producing energy based shields with goal to protect person or vehicle from physical objects? For long time to come we most likely keep developing stronger materials, layering them and "don't get hit" rule persists.

diaspora

It makes sense in the frame it has set for it self. Element zero doesn't exist, and if it did, everything else would be derived from the socratean method of that presumption.

It would be asinine to just have teleportation in ME pop out of nowhere.

What a poor post.

Do we, as in humans, even have theory how we would go about producing energy based shields with goal to protect person or vehicle from physical objects? For long time to come we most likely keep developing stronger materials, layering them and "don't get hit" rule persists.

Saying "__ makes no sense" within the context fictional science in a fictional universe is so useless. What a poor response.

Patryn

A wizard did it.

Again, the series sacrificed verisimilitude as of ME2 in favor of design. Just go with it.

They may not make "sense" but I'm willing to sacrifice it for melee weapons, which allow a whole new range of options for combat. It's definitely not a change on the level of the switch to just needing breath masks for me.

Tovarisc

Saying "__ makes no sense" within the context fictional science in a fictional universe is so useless. What a poor response.

I wasn't really arguing about what makes or doesn't make sense in context of fictional ME. I was more just thinking out loud if even theoretical science exists about energy based protective barriers in real world.

DevilDog

There certainly are multiple levels of irony here. And ignorance. Whatever.

A wizard did it.

Again, the series sacrificed verisimilitude as of ME2 in favor of design. Just go with it.

They may not make "sense" but I'm willing to sacrifice it for melee weapons, which allow a whole new range of options for combat. It's definitely not a change on the level of the switch to just needing breath masks for me.
You don't understand, melee weapons make sense in the context of the original lore.

Melee weapons and cqc bypass shields, since mass effect 1, where melee would damage the health no matter what. That is definitely a huge advantage to have.

What I wouldn't want to see is more weeb stuff like the fantasy space samurais.

kosmologi

You shut your filthy mouth. The designs from ME3 mp were fantastic.

Well, I respectfully disagree. ME3's space ninjas make me want to puke and I find them utterly ridiculous. BioWare wasted a good opportunity at making a more-believable-than-average scifi universe. And as long as the multiplayer is connected to the universe the same rules apply to that, too.

because ME3 was the most fun in the series so...

Why not have omniblade Katanas then? Would at least make a little bit sense lore-wise...

Well, I respectfully disagree. ME3's space ninjas make me want to puke and I find them utterly ridiculous. BioWare wasted a good opportunity at making a more-believable-than-average scifi universe. And as long as the multiplayer is connected to the universe the same rules apply to that, too.

Why not have omniblade Katanas then? Would at least make a little bit sense lore-wise...

Omniblade katanas would make even *less* sense lorewise since it'd be a huge length of superhot carbon held together with an ME field. Trying to "wield" that sort of thing for any length of time would be a disaster.

I agree with you about the the sad deviation from relatively believable science fiction from the first game but you're fighting an uphill battle in this community thread.

There's an appreciable level of hypocrisy and irony when people get outraged about an ending to a trilogy that relies on "space magic" but then proceed to be okay with unexplainable space magic seeping into every fabric of the gameplay and lore , as if there's some arbitrary barrier between the two.

kosmologi

Omniblade katanas would make even *less* sense lorewise since it'd be a huge length of superhot carbon held together with an ME field. Trying to "wield" that sort of thing for any length of time would be a disaster.

Well, bringing any kind of metal sword into a 22nd (28th?) century gunfight doesn't really make any sense either, so... Omni-sword would have been more consistent considering the existence of shorter blades. I don't remember there being any metal knives.

All I'm saying is I'd have enjoyed a return to the more ""realistic"" ME1 style where there's only guns, tech and fairly grounded biotics (also melee? but nothing ridiculous like in ME3)

I agree with you about the the sad deviation from relatively believable science fiction from the first game but you're fighting an uphill battle in this community thread.

There's an appreciable level of hypocrisy and irony when people get outraged about an ending to a trilogy that relies on "space magic" but then proceed to be okay with unexplainable space magic seeping into every fabric of the gameplay and lore , as if there's some arbitrary barrier between the two.

Hear, hear.

DevilDog

Well, if we're going there so is bringing any kind of sword into a 22nd (28th?) century gunfight.

Swords bypass shields. They would be more effective in a close quarters combat situation.

You'd be dead to a sword before you can reduce the opponents shields to zero.

Daemul

I'm currently in the middle of the Genophage arc in ME3, and as I'm sitting here listening to the Turian Primarch and Shepard talk about how they need the Krogan, and all I'm wondering is

but-why.gif

The Krogan are demilitarized, they have no fleets and have no scientists to provide to the Crucible Project, all they have is infantry which is utterly useless in a war against the giant starships that are the Reapers, and the Reaper Infantry that they can fight is practically endless, whilst the Krogan have very limited numbers, meaning that they wouldn't be useful even if it was a war of pure attrition.

I would understand if it had been the Batarians in the place of the Krogan storywise, since they actually have ships, scientists and all that shit, and the tension at the diplomacy meeting would have been the same anyway due to the stupid beef exists between the Batarians and other species, but the Krogan? They're probably the most redundant species in the war, even the Hanar and Volus have fleets and scientists to contribute ffs(also Volus Vangaurd master race!).

If the Primarch really wanted the Krogan on his side as a way to try and slow the Reapers down for a short while so that they can try and evacuate some civilians(which I think is what actually ends up happening in ME3) then fair enough, but he had no reason to bend over to their demands, he was the one in the actual position of power since without his fleets the Krogan would be stuck on Tuchanka and be sitting ducks for the Reapers to bomb from orbit if they pleased, with no way to fight back. The Krogan weren't anywhere near as vital as the game tries to make them out to be.

Well, if we're going to go there then so is bringing any kind of metal sword into a 22nd (28th?) century gunfight.

All I'm saying is I'd have enjoyed a return to the more ""realistic"" ME1 style where there's only guns, tech and fairly grounded biotics (also melee? but nothing ridiculous like in ME3)

Eh, not really. Vastly increased mobility and durability of the average soldier, coupled with a notable decrease in the average engagement range, means that melee combat makes a lot more sense than it would nowadays. If you can get into stupid close shotgun range reliably, you might as well stick something sharp in 'em while you're there. If you can cloak, sprint up behind someone, and stick 'em without them being aware that you exist, that makes even more sense.

ME has played it a little faster and looser with the rules of the setting since 1, but I think to the series' overall benefit, imo. They manage to maintain the basic nods toward verisimilitude that I think are needed to keep disbelief suspended, unless you're feeling extra pedantic about it.

I'm currently in the middle of the Genophage arc in ME3, and as I'm sitting here listening to the Turian Primarch and Shepard talk about how they need the Krogan, and all I'm wondering is

but-why.gif

The Krogan are demilitarized, they have no fleets and have no scientists to provide to the Crucible Project, all they have is infantry which is utterly useless in a war against the giant starships that are the Reapers, and the Reaper Infantry that they can fight is practically endless, whilst the Krogan have very limited numbers, meaning that they wouldn't be useful even if it was a war of pure attrition.

I would understand if it had been the Batarians in the place of the Krogan storywise, since they actually have ships, scientists and all that shit, and the tension at the diplomacy meeting would have been the same anyway due to the stupid beef exists between the Batarians and other species, but the Krogan? They're probably the most redundant species in the war, even the Hanar and Volus have fleets and scientists to contribute ffs(also Volus Vangaurd master race!).

If the Primarch really wanted the Krogan on his side as a way to try and slow the Reapers down for a short while so that they can try and evacuate some civilians(which I think is what actually ends up happening in ME3) then fair enough, but he had no reason to bend over to their demands, the Krogan weren't anywhere near as vital as the game tries to make them out to be.

That was literally it. The Primarch needed the Krogan so that the Turians could push back/hold off the Reapers long enough in the ground war to get civilian populations to safety. The Krogans demanded an end to the genophage in exchange, because what the hell, dream big.

And the Batarians were even more thoroughly crushed than the Krogans, and a lot less effective one-on-one. The Reapers pretty thoroughly dismantled them before the game even began, remember? Only Batarain military elements left in significant numbers were various terror groups.

Maledict

The Krogan never made much sense to be honest. It's a really silly idea that the fact they are big, strong and durable makes them the ultimate warrior in a setting where you have spaceships. The fact they don't have a huge engineering or science core would mean they were just slaughtered in ship to ship combat, where their strength doesn't matter at all.

It sort of made sense for the original idea they had (ultra durable infantry who could survive easily on the Rachnii homeworlds), but beyond that they've been turned into super soldiers in a setting where it doesn't really matter. Heck, modern warfare on earth right now isn't fought like the Krogan fight.

The Krogan never made much sense to be honest. It's a really silly idea that the fact they are big, strong and durable makes them the ultimate warrior in a setting where you have spaceships. The fact they don't have a huge engineering or science core would mean they were just slaughtered in ship to ship combat, where their strength doesn't matter at all.

It sort of made sense for the original idea they had (ultra durable infantry who could survive easily on the Rachnii homeworlds), but beyond that they've been turned into super soldiers in a setting where it doesn't really matter. Heck, modern warfare on earth right now isn't fought like the Krogan fight.

Worth noting that the Krogan pretty effectively militarized their navy, too- they're not brutes or idiots, they're just... very, very focused. Remember Wrex's chief scientist? It's what they're good at.

Tovarisc

So what you are saying is that evolution really let Krogans down?

kosmologi

Swords bypass shields. They would be more effective in a close quarters combat situation.

You'd be dead to a sword before you can reduce the opponents shields to zero.

So does an omniblade, doesn't it? Which I would imagine also cuts through high-tech armor way easier than a metal sword. And on a battlefield where every combatant has an omnitool (and therefore potentially an omniblade) why would you carry a clumsy sword that's much slower to deploy and arguably less effective.

Patryn

I'm uncertain if you're calling me out (amongst others), but my problems with ME3's ending was never about "space magic." Frankly, it was obvious that there was going to be something almost deus ex machina that needed to happen to resolve the conflict.

My problem was how they implemented all that, and the almost complete ignoring of your actions earlier.

I'm uncertain if you're calling me out (amongst others), but my problems with ME3's ending was never about "space magic." Frankly, it was obvious that there was going to be something almost deus ex machina that needed to happen to resolve the conflict.

My problem was how they implemented all that, and the almost complete ignoring of your actions earlier.

No it was a general comment directed at the many people I've seen over the years literally type out "bullshit space magic" as their reasoning for hating the ending. It's a lazy and hypocritical way to explain their dislike for the ending. I've seen it used almost everywhere there's a topic or conversation about the ending.

As for the Krogan in ME3..

I'm not entirely sure I'd call a race of over 1 billion warriors that that can exist in extremely harsh environments and survive incredible amounts of damage to their bodies thanks to their physiology as inconsequential.

The game relentlessly hammers home the point that everything is just a delaying action against the reapers and no amount of ships the races can conjure up in a short amount of time will stop them. The more Turians you can save with ultra-effective shock troopers the longer you can drag out a conflict.

The scouting party of reapers had barely any destroyers/capital ships on Tuchanka compared to Thessia, Earth, and Palaven. So if you're a council race whose home world is getting absolutely shit on by Reapers would you not consider the Krogan as the ultimate stop-gap against the harvesting of your people?

Maledict

No it was a general comment directed at the many people I've seen over the years literally type out "bullshit space magic" as their reasoning for hating the ending. It's a lazy and hypocritical way to explain their dislike for the ending. I've seen it used almost everywhere there's a topic or conversation about the ending.

Sorry, I disagree, totally.

The green ending *is* bullshit, nonsensical space magic that makes absolutely no sense at all in any part of the setting. Yes, the game has always had space magic in it (from the first game) - all sci-fi does to some degree or other. But the green ending was so outrageously out of sync with what the rest of the series did, it broke the settings own rules. It would be the same in Star Wars if the Death star rocked up to Yavin, and then Luke just crushed it with the force on the planets surface.

Green ending rubbish was so far outside what the setting had established as acceptable or not, it's absolutely valid to call it out for being rubbish space magic. Obviously, there are many many other things wrong with the ending as well! :)

DevilDog

So does an omniblade, doesn't it? Which I would imagine also cuts through high-tech armor way easier than a metal sword. And on a battlefield where every combatant has an omnitool (and therefore potentially an omniblade) why would you carry a clumsy sword that's much slower to deploy and arguably less effective.

Any cqc weapon would be fine, I'd imagine something like a katana would have more range to it, so to use it against husks would be dandy.

However in no way should it replace a normal gun.

If anything, soldiers should be experts in martial arts. I want to see more hand to hand combat in Andromeda.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has there been any talk or hinting on when the MP beta is supposed to actually happen? Really itching to try it out but it seems like they're cutting it really close.

Has there been any talk or hinting on when the MP beta is supposed to actually happen? Really itching to try it out but it seems like they're cutting it really close.

It'll have to be happening pretty soon considering the game is out on Origin/EA Access in less then 5 weeks.

(hype)

Mindlog

No mention of MP Beta date. Can't remember when ME3's started. I believe it was a month before?
I was in the
accidentally leaked
Alpha
NH9gE7v.gif

Sorry, I disagree, totally.

The green ending *is* bullshit, nonsensical space magic that makes absolutely no sense at all in any part of the setting. Yes, the game has always had space magic in it (from the first game) - all sci-fi does to some degree or other. But the green ending was so outrageously out of sync with what the rest of the series did, it broke the settings own rules. It would be the same in Star Wars if the Death star rocked up to Yavin, and then Luke just crushed it with the force on the planets surface.

Green ending rubbish was so far outside what the setting had established as acceptable or not, it's absolutely valid to call it out for being rubbish space magic. Obviously, there are many many other things wrong with the ending as well! :)

I don't inherently disagree or agree with what you said, it was just my point that if you're taking the time to lambast the ending you can do better than a lazy three word phrase.

For the record I view the destroy ending as the only logical endgame in terms of creating a viable entrypoint if BioWare wanted to continue the story 10 or 20 years from now. It leaves the galaxy in the most "normal" pre-war state of being.

I'll always chuckle when the devs say they want to respect players choices as a reason for not continuing the story in the Milky Way, as if that's stopped other developers (like Firaxis and XCOM 2 for example) from successfully creating an opposing story timeline that deviates from certain peoples Enemy Unknown endings.

Or the recent interview where they say that it is impossible to tell an emotional and deeply personal story post-reaper war. I saw that and was like...

d7JDwHW.gif

If anything your options for storytelling explode post-war because you have millions of people who have suffered traumatic loss and scenes of graphic horror and you explore how a character can help rebuild and exist in that state of existence.

Sou Da

I don't inherently disagree or agree with what you said, it was just my point that if you're taking the time to lambast the ending you can do better than a lazy three word phrase.

For the record I view the destroy ending as the only logical endgame in terms of creating a viable entrypoint if BioWare wanted to continue the story 10 or 20 years from now. It leaves the galaxy in the most "normal" pre-war state of being.

I'll always chuckle when the devs say they want to respect players choices as a reason for not continuing the story in the Milky Way, as if that's stopped other developers (like Firaxis and XCOM 2 for example) from successfully creating an opposing story timeline that deviates from certain peoples Enemy Unknown endings.

Or the recent interview where they say that it is impossible to tell an emotional and deeply personal story post-reaper war. I saw that and was like...

d7JDwHW.gif

If anything your options for storytelling explode post-war because you have millions of people who have suffered traumatic loss and scenes of graphic horror and you explore how a character can help rebuild and exist in that state of existence.

Yeah but when you really look at it Andromeda is that in thematic spirit. Along with being a bunch of other things.

prag16

Banned
the lack of an MP beta on PC is pure bullshit, but at least it can be played early with Origin Access

I'll be playing the game on PC, but signed up for the beta on PS4; better than nothing. Do we know how that works yet? Does everybody who signed up get to participate or is it more limited?

diaspora

I'll be playing the game on PC, but signed up for the beta on PS4; better than nothing. Do we know how that works yet? Does everybody who signed up get to participate or is it more limited?

I did too, though I expect myself to get 100% pissed at the controls immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom