• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix 5 on the way

eddie4

Genuinely Generous

We need more Key & Peele
Key And Peele GIF

Soodanim

Was that scene in the 2nd? I thought it was in the 3rd...
Damn, that scene was a complete piece of shit any way you look at it. How did that scene make the final cut, i can not fathom.
3 had the whole Matrix turned into Smiths, but 2 had that courtyard type area where Neo runs on them in a circle them using a pole.

Come to think of it, if 3 has the entire Matrix turned into Smiths and 4 just rolled the Matrix program back then what was the point of any of it?

Drew1440

Sure why not 🤷‍♂️

If they’re going to do the meta stuff again though, I just hope that they put more budget into the effects this time around.

Honestly a cool concept would be an HBO show called ‘Zion’, that would take place post-Matrix 1. It would be a hidden gem with a great storyline and good acting, then be cancelled after 2 seasons(like most hidden gems).
That might actually work out better, like what Caprica was to Battlestar Galactica

StueyDuck

The less you let they/them flim/flom glib/glab oingo/boingo Have control, the better the movie will be.

The matrix isn't "smart" anymore, just let it be a dope action movie. The matrix is like Rick n morty, it makes dumb people feel clever

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

So, has there been any actual resolution to the series? At the end of 3 it seemed that there was a “peace” and things were going to start getting better. So, how did 4 happen? Does it have an open ending as well?

Neon Xenon

The only notable thing about that last Matrix movie in my mind is that I legitimately keep forgetting the subtitle no matter how many times I read it, so I just call it "The Matrix 4".

Sticking a number at the end of the title is all that movie really deserves, and I don't think a follow up to that will be any less deserving of the same treatment.

So, has there been any actual resolution to the series? At the end of 3 it seemed that there was a “peace” and things were going to start getting better. So, how did 4 happen? Does it have an open ending as well?
There is peace and things are better, with humans and some machines living together, but the new Architect is a bit of a cunt. The Matrix is our modern world:

This just as relevant to us as the cubicle hell and dude taxes lmao was to 1999.
Half of the population being bots is terrifying IMO.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There is peace and things are better, with humans and some machines living together, but the new Architect is a bit of a cunt. The Matrix is our modern world:

This just as relevant to us as the cubicle hell and dude taxes lmao was to 1999.
Half of the population being bots is terrifying IMO.

I didnt see the last Matrix movie. I didn't know Neil Patrick Harris was in it. All I know is anytime I see him in any role he's always comedy. Even in that clip you posted, I cant tell if he's supposed to be a drama or fun scene since I can never take him seriously.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I get why they keep trying to revive this franchise, because even the shitty sequels made bank. Well, except for the last one. But they need to let this die. I don't think anyone will be able to replicate the cinematic majesty of the first film.

Reactions: RNG

clarky

Gold Member
WB have the potential for a $1 billion per movie take with The Matrix IP. Let’s hope they don’t fuck it up!
Not really.

The first film does it best and will never be bettered. The extended lore they have created in this franchise is fucking awful and incomprehensible at times. Its clearly made up as we go along because they need more money type deal.

I'd take a reboot of the first film i suppose, but what's the point when the Matrix is perfect as is?

Last edited:
Not really.

The first film does it best and will never be bettered. The extended lore they have created in this franchise is fucking awful and incomprehensible at times. Its clearly made up as we go along because they need more money type deal.

I'd take a reboot of the first film i suppose, but what's the point when the Matrix is perfect as is?
I think there’s enormous potential for it considering they could conceivably take it in any direction as long as there’s still the duality between the ‘real World’ struggle and the highly stylish Matrix ‘reality’. It could be any number of genres while in the Matrix or even several genres at once.

I would rather see a reboot with completely new characters with a new ‘one’ than a remake with Neo and Trinity again personally.

clarky

Gold Member
I think there’s enormous potential for it considering they could conceivably take it in any direction as long as there’s still the duality between the ‘real World’ struggle and the highly stylish Matrix ‘reality’. It could be any number of genres while in the Matrix or even several genres at once.

I would rather see a reboot with completely new characters with a new ‘one’ than a remake with Neo and Trinity again personally.
Potential yes, but everything they have done since the first ranges from just ok to fucking awful. Apart from that Animatrix thing, that was pretty good. Wipe the 3 other movies from cannon and just make a completely different story in the same universe as the original. Neo's "story" did not need expanding on IMO, well not in the way they did it at least.

Last edited:
Potential yes, but everything they have done since the first ranges from just ok to fucking awful. Apart from that Animatrix thing, that was pretty good. Wipe the 3 other movies from cannon and just make a completely different story in the same universe as the original. Neo's "story" did not need expanding on IMO, well not in the way they did it at least.
Totally agree. I’m not a fan of the sequels and especially not whatever pile of shit that last one was lol. I just think the franchise has massive potential in the right hands because there’s almost unlimited ways you could use the Matrix in cool ways.

My guess is they will have an old man smith Hugo Weaving played character that somehow survived and is too old and decrepit to do anything, but will have a nice chat with Neo

Mr Hyde

Not sure I'm gonna bother with a fifth. The fourth one was so bad it was like a quadruple face palm when I came out of the theatre

smAbmCh.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
Drew Goddard is a solid director and writer. This is probably gonna be the best movie since the first one.
See, I would have more confidence if this wasn't Matrix 5, which implies a continuation of the Reeves stuff. I'd be more down for a totally separate story.

It's time for Matrix Rebooted.

Flip the entire script.

Make Neo the villain and set it many years later.

And change the setting for the simulation. The 90s or whatever it is, is played out.

Don't let the Wachowskis near it.

chlorate

I’m excited for this, but only because Drew Goddard used to hang out with my friend’s brother as a kid. It’s almost like I know a real Hollywood director!

Cabin in the Woods was pretty good

Monkfish877

Might be an unpopular opinion but it would be wise to drop keanu for this movie. Neo's story concluded in Revolutions, his arc is done and bringing him back would be lame as hell. I want a whole new cast and I would hope it borrows stylistically from the first movie and replicates the atmosphere it had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom