• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix 5 on the way

Eiknarf

Banned
One great film doesn't justify this many sequels, especially when each sequel is a notable decline in quality from the previous one.
It’s like if a band in the 90s came out with a one hit wonder. A really good one hit wonder.
Should that band still be putting out album after album and doing tour after tour in the year 2025?

Last edited:
I remember seeing that Will Smith and Val Kilmer turned down roles in the original film. Probably Neo and Morpheus. But Will went on to make Wicky Wild Wild West and Val made ….

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I remember seeing that Will Smith and Val Kilmer turned down roles in the original film. Probably Neo and Morpheus. But Will went on to make Wicky Wild Wild West and Val made ….
Dude,
Jet Li turned down The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Jesus Christ, what a mistake! Those are two of the greatest movies.

Monkfish877

The Matrix universe is very rich with endless story possibilities, which is why I disagree with the posters who are saying that another movie can't or wouldn't work. In the right hands with a top director and a good writer, I think they good put out a deserving sequel to the original, I'm sure of that.

Soodanim

Just finished rewatching the first. Still so good. Everyone in it is brilliant, the music is great, and the not-excessive CGI hoods up (at least on my original release DVD).

Reloaded's Smith copies were among the things that make it age worse than the original. I think the film has plenty of redeeming qualities, though some key things let it down.

CGNoire

CGNoire

We talk a lot about The Matrix and attract the news.

The power of our minds.... Everyone come together.

Brain power 🧠
There's something to this. Gamers have been spending years now talking about The Matrix demo.And maybe the algorithm picked it up and the executives now think that the matrix is more popular brand that it is.....I hope it leads to a new game.

Last edited:
It’s like if a band in the 90s came out with a one hit wonder. A really good one hit wonder.
Should that band still be putting out album after album and doing tour after tour in the year 2025?
If people are paying for it and showing up?

Absolutely.

LordCBH

The last movie was probably one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. They need to shelve the entire franchise.

sendit

"M5trix"

Story: Neo has a young female companion who knows and does everything better than him, while he´s just moody and depressed. And she´s non-binary.
YjGDNwe.jpg

Porcile

I've never seen a movie that openly despises its own creation and the people making it as 4 did. I thought it was great lol.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sure why not 🤷‍♂️

If they’re going to do the meta stuff again though, I just hope that they put more budget into the effects this time around.

Honestly a cool concept would be an HBO show called ‘Zion’, that would take place post-Matrix 1. It would be a hidden gem with a great storyline and good acting, then be cancelled after 2 seasons(like most hidden gems).
Wasn't that just The Matrix Online? I dug the cinematic bits in that game.

RaptorGTA

There's still milk here! Squeeze! Squeeze!

I liked some of the ideas of Matrix 4 but honestly, no more. Just stahp

The Matrix really didn't need a sequel in the first place, and all the sequels have completely ruined the universe. It's almost like there's a pattern.

Valonquar

Arrested Development No GIF

It felt like the message of the last one "Fuck you for being uncultured swine that likes action movies like The Matrix."

wondermega

A little conflicted about this - and I mean the TINIEST bit, since I rarely care about anything like this these days for reasons that have already been mentioned a multitude of times in this thread.

On the one hand I loved pt 1 like everyone else in the world. It was very much "the right film at the right time" and was absolutely one of those cinema-defining moments in our culture, like Pulp Fiction or even Star Wars and such. And still resonating very much today. On the other hand, as with many other people I consider it to be a perfect example of diminishing returns and by the time part 3 came out, to me it already felt like "who actually wants this?" When they announced the newer film a few years ago, it was difficult to even be cautiously optimistic about it. Of course I was bored and it launched on Max, which I had anyway, so it was kind of a fun "this is out of left field" thing that suddenly showed up, and with (very) tempered expectations I watched it when it released.

I.. didn't hate it! Actually, I didn't hate it UNTIL a fair bit into the film (and then, I hated it). Well not hatred, so much as sat through the film going through its motions - but to be frank, the setup of the film was actually rather compelling. And they somehow made the whole meta storyline feel unique and interesting, which surprised me. I got into that mode "ok, where is this going.." but as soon as they started showing lots of clips from the first film, it began feeling excessively gimmicky and then just stumbled from there. Still was some interesting narrative going on, but it felt like they just rushed through a bunch of motions to get to an open-ended conclusion so they could leave the door open for more (of something... rehashing, or just reanimated zombie corpse.. you all know what I am talking about).

Anyway I didn't hate that I saw the film, and it actually got my respect in spite of itself (for the elements of it that I did enjoy). But with news of another bonafide sequel.. well it is more difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt that "something interesting will happen," that is unless they are able to salvage some more of where they were going with the last part (not impossible) and explore more out that way. Can that happen? I feel like we are ripe, culturally, for more exploration of a film that takes a real hard look at the current AI-phobia, "are we living in a simulation?" and all that follows from that. I think the backdrop of the Matrix - as has successfully been proven to me again, in the first quarter or so, of part 4, is very fertile ground for such a story to be examined within. I even feel that some of the people involved in making these films can actually do something compelling with this notion.

So, we'll see. At this point I have learned not to get my hopes up about this sort of thing, but there is something there and I will give it the benefit of the doubt to the point where I'm interested to hear the buzz and eventual hype on the film, which will spell out whether it is a good time or another waste of time, for me. I am not truly sad they are revisiting this, we have that perfect first film which I will always appreciate and they can make as many shit-sequels as they like which I can continuously ignore if need be otherwise. Anyway, let's see how it goes.

RaduN

Just finished rewatching the first. Still so good. Everyone in it is brilliant, the music is great, and the not-excessive CGI hoods up (at least on my original release DVD).

Reloaded's Smith copies were among the things that make it age worse than the original. I think the film has plenty of redeeming qualities, though some key things let it down.
Was that scene in the 2nd? I thought it was in the 3rd...
Damn, that scene was a complete piece of shit any way you look at it. How did that scene make the final cut, i can not fathom.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How about they come up with their own IPs, eh? We are going to remake Citizen Kane and 12 Angry Men as well? Cleopatra (wait a minute…)? Gladiator?
There's a newer version of 12 Angry Men... I THINK it's based on a play...

Citizen Kane was a critique on an actual movie exec, whose name I can't remember right now. Cleopatra, she was a real person so no matter what, it'll probably just be a retelling of her actual story.

Gladiator is getting a sequel, though.

Top Bottom