• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

RDreamer

Seems like songs that the record company wanted out first. I hear from people in the know the rest of the album is better for us real metalheads ;)

i can't wait. my most anticipated album of the year by far

6HmVSsv.jpg

Just came out of seeing Deafheaven play the Sydney Opera House. First fully seated metal show I've been to, even the singer remarked how bizarre it was for them to be playing there but it was still such a mindblowing performance.

KillerBEA

What the hell has been going on lately?

I can't remember ANY month that has ever been as terrible on metal as this one. Agalloch and Eluveitie and Dethklok are no more! Ex-Megadeth and ex-Municipal Waste and ex-Bell Witch drummers are dead!

Thanks a lot, May 2016.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

:( :(

Well, thank Odin they aren't breaking up. Your jinx has failed and you're redeemed.

LOL.

I knew that's what you were alluding to!

But I hope they don't break up anytime soon, because personally I love what their doing with their sound. Unlike other Opeth fans, I love their Extreme Metal output but don't mind if they leave it behind. I like how Axenrot and Mendez are experimenting.

pablito

LOL.

I knew that's what you were alluding to!

But I hope they don't break up anytime soon, because personally I love what their doing with their sound. Unlike other Opeth fans, I love their Extreme Metal output but don't mind if they leave it behind. I like how Axenrot and Mendez are experimenting.

I don't really mind them leaving the extreme metal behind, Mike can't do that stuff vocally forever. I just didn't really like the songs we got on Heritage or Pale Communion. They're not awful. But I didn't have any kind of reaction listening to them at all. I think they just lost whatever made them memorable for me.

If we were getting songs on the level of Face of Melinda (my favorite song of theirs) on these albums, I'd have no complaints.

edit: I am glad to see that Mike is still excited to make music though. That alone will always have me check out what they do.

I don't really mind them leaving the extreme metal behind, Mike can't do that stuff vocally forever. I just didn't really like the songs we got on Heritage or Pale Communion. They're not awful. But I didn't have any kind of reaction listening to them at all. I think they just lost whatever made them memorable for me.

If we were getting songs on the level of Face of Melinda (my favorite song of theirs) on these albums, I'd have no complaints.

edit: I am glad to see that Mike is still excited to make music though. That alone will always have me check out what they do.

Yeah, that's fair. Not being the whole "They changed their sound, they suck/if you don't like their change you suck!" juvenile bullshit; I just like their material, personally,

RDreamer

I was iffy on Heritage at first, but I grew to like that sound and kind of got addicted to it for a bit there. Also, they played the fuck out of that material live. My favorite time seeing them was for Heritage.

Pale Communion is fucking baller as a prog album through and through.

I was iffy on Heritage at first, but I grew to like that sound and kind of got addicted to it for a bit there. Also, they played the fuck out of that material live. My favorite time seeing them was for Heritage.

Pale Communion is fucking baller as a prog album through and through.

The drumming is impressive for one. I also think that Faith in Others is indeed the best song Mikael has written so far, an emotional masterpiece and one of the most emotionally moving songs I've ever heard.

e_i

According to their Facebook page, Sikth vocalist Justin Hill (not the dreadlock guy, the other guy) leaves the band...again. He's being replaced by Joe Rossier. The band isn't breaking up though, they will recording a full length album that will release next year.

Leidungr - De Nio Kraftsångerna (Atmospheric Folk/Viking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpG9eFVDvsE

This is kind of on the level of Wardruna or Forndom, but with it's own distinct atmosphere. Lots of layers and textures that sound very authentic. It's kind of like what an introverted viking would listen to alone in a dark corner of the mead hall.

Well, you made me want to listen to this one. Good description, heh.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Leidungr - De Nio Kraftsångerna (Atmospheric Folk/Viking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpG9eFVDvsE

This is kind of on the level of Wardruna or Forndom, but with it's own distinct atmosphere. Lots of layers and textures that sound very authentic. It's kind of like what an introverted viking would listen to alone in a dark corner of the mead hall.

Sorry, pretty underwhelming. Some OK moments but very meandering, and nowhere near as good as Wardruna.

Bitanator

New Flotsam and Jetsam is slamming

568715.jpg

Looks like playing with all those energetic young thrash acts over the past couple years sparked something in them. These riffs are infectious. If you like melodic thrash metal check it out, it is so much better than their last effort. I cannot wait to see them live again becasue these tunes will go over great

New Flotsam and Jetsam is slamming

568715.jpg

Looks like playing with all those energetic young thrash acts over the past couple years sparked something in them. These riffs are infectious. If you like melodic thrash metal check it out, it is so much better than their last effort. I cannot wait to see them live again becasue these tunes will go over great
I had a good time seeing them a few years ago (Escape From Within!) but I didn't dig their new stuff.

"This one's called GIDDY UP!" ......what

This track isn't doing it for me either

Bitanator

I had a good time seeing them a few years ago (Escape From Within!) but I didn't dig their new stuff.

"This one's called GIDDY UP!" ......what

This track isn't doing it for me either

It is a lot more energetic than their last one, their lyrics are still terrible, but even their last release went over fairly well live since they are really good band live.

The new Moonsorrow album arrived today, so I've finally gotten to listen to it from start to finish. What a wonderful set of tunes!

Also, apparently Combichrist has a new album out this week. Might look into that. I adore the DMC:DMC soundtrack.

Bitanator

I wouldn't know. I've been checking Spotify and Youtube everyday since release for the album stream, and nope.

But if the whole album is as good as Iron Maiden, it will be an AotY contender for me. Maybe I should just be the CD? (Something I haven't done in years)

Yeah I'm enjoying blasting it in the car the past few days

Cindro

Yeah I'm enjoying blasting it in the car the past few days
I had never really listened to them until Iron Maiden came out, but I've blasted that song at least 30 times since they released it. If that's my benchmark for the band, does the rest of their new album live up to that?

Bitanator

I had never really listened to them until Iron Maiden came out, but I've blasted that song at least 30 times since they released it. If that's my benchmark for the band, does the rest of their new album live up to that?

It has some of their best riff work since their first three releases. The opening song is great, Iron Maiden like, I really love the songs Monkey Wrench, Verge of Tragedy, Taser, and Forbidden Territories as well. Great guitar tone in my opinion on the whole release. A killer closing song to end the album too with Forbidden Territories. If you like their song Iron Maiden I think you will be impressed. I enjoy it a bunch after seeing them bring so much energy on stage I really like that they are really thinking of their audience with this new one.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Holy hell, lightning strike injured 50+ people at Rock am Ring festival in Germany. For the second year in a row.

And storms are also predicted for Vienna tomorrow :\

Anybody from here attending RiV Maiden concert tomorrow?

obin_gam

I just have to recommend a great metal playlist on Spotify, been listening to it this past week and I have nothing to complain about it :p Anders Fridén of In Flames has compiled "According to..." and it's 80% proggy metal and rock, with the occasional punk song and bluesy bits intertwined with classic heavy- and death metal.

Tankard

How does the new The Vision Bleak compared to Carpathia?

I guess very similar. Carpathia had a orchestral feeling to some songs, the new album sounds a little more dark and doom oriented, but still that craziness going on in every song or like i always say, Moonspell meets Akercocke.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Holy hell, Iron Maiden are in fantastic shape on this tour. Flawless concert despite torrential downpour

Melchiah

How come I'm just learning about Mgla right now? With Hearts Toward None is fucking great.

The last song on the album is my favorite. It fitted perfectly the mood, when I drove in the blizzard during the Yuletide a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, the following album was a disappointment.

The last song on the album is my favorite. It fitted perfectly the mood, when I drove in the blizzard during the Yuletide a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, the following album was a disappointment.

Not sure if I'll like the next one myself. Kind of lapsed into my typical dismissive inattentive mood once I moved on it. The riffs of the album were really memorable, of most.

It's all preference

With Hearts Towards None didn't grab me when it was all the rage that year, whereas Exercises in Futility hooked me.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Quick summary from Rock in Vienna:
  • Nicely surprised with Powerwolf.
  • I was quite disappointed with Gojira performance yesterday... they are good technically, but they looked a bit lost on the main stage. Very weak crowd interaction.
  • Nothing new with Kreator, pure brutal energy
  • Too bad that Nightwish had to shorten their set due to weather issues and had a lot of sound issues in the beginning. But Floor floored with Ghost love score, holy hell.
  • In Extremo ended their set after five songs due to storm, but they are not my cup of tea
  • Iron Maiden in the top form. Flawless.

Top Bottom