• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Bone Awl is an EXCELLENT band, you have great taste!

I've been super into Oathbreaker's Rheia. Really love it. It's in the same vein as Deafheaven but not super derivative like bands such as Ghost Bath. Also, the female vocalist is so good.

*frowny* But I really like Ghost Bath.

Really like Oathbreaker too, but still

Merkunt

Does It get any better than this for Black/Gothic Metal with Folk influences and Symphonic elements?
And wouldn't the latter fall into the Gothic Genre making me repeat myself twice and look like a fool? 🤔

419634.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't get it. It's just a seemingly random arrangement of vocal parts, is there a reference or something I missed?
There's nothing to get, other than trying to figure out why someone would think this is somehow metal, and submit it to metal-archives.com.

Not to mention it also violates the "must have a valid release" rule since their full album isn't even out yet.

Does It get any better than this for Black/Gothic Metal with Folk influences and Symphonic elements?
And wouldn't the latter fall into the Gothic Genre making me repeat myself twice and look like a fool? 🤔
No.

In fact, it doesn't get any better than this for Gothic Metal, period. Wolfheart is just that fucking good. :) Do check out Irreligious too, though.

Now here's the rare album where I actually care about the language barrier.

62-thickbox_default.jpg

Kameraden Des Todes, or Comrades of Death by Eiswerk. Seated around a table in what looks like a modern dining room with medieval candle sconces are the grim reaper, a viking, a WWII soldier, a chimp and a goblin. What these comrades of death are discussing or why they are all comrades of death (playing cards together) is interesting. The goblin and the WWII soldier both bring their weapons to the table, but the viking, the grim reaper and the chimp all leave theirs at the door...

Unfortunately, Target is all sold out.

Closest I can think of in terms of their style is maybe Trollfest, but more German, with some curious surprises and experimentation. The riffs are great, the sampling is great, pretty much everything about this album is great. Highly recommended for anyone who likes fun experimental metal, folk metal, or just really good off the beaten path stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6EK85difA8

e_i

Did my monthly-or-so daring venture into the band queue on M-A today. So much garbage, ugh. This pile of shit being submitted as "black metal" (looool), among others. Stuff without evidence of release. Etc. Read the fucking rules people -_-

Buuuut on a positive note I discovered two neat artist. One that I was passingly familiar with, Syu, the Galneryus guitarist, this time his solo project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-mYL3kPsu8
Welp, this shreds. Pretty good power metal.

And this... thing. The themes are a little pretentious (lol @ "this music was made by a sentient computer", yeah sure xD) but it's pretty neat industrial/electronic metal:
https://masterbootrecord.bandcamp.com/album/c-chkdsk-f

Has it? Good riddance indeed :D

Wings of Metal!

Good stuff. Xcopy.exe sounds like Metallica's Orion (at least the beginning does).

Изморозь (Izmoroz) - Язь (Ide) (2016, RUS)

This could be the Folk Metal album of the year. It certainly got my attention as soon as I heard it. Definitely check this out if you haven't yet, especially if you like early Thyrfing. I've only heard the 3 songs on youtube so far, need to pick this album up asap.

Сундук мертвеца (Dead Man’s Chest):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dM3O4Ip1gg

You may like this
384969.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA37NeTG4uI

Why do Russian folk metal bands have the best vocals

I think my most prized possession in my collection is the original Christcrusher pressing of Urfaust's Geist ist Teuful 12" LP.

I think my personal fave metal record I own is Bone Awl's Meaningless Leaning Mess.

this page already rules.

my favorite records are my Order from Chaos test pressings, Yellow Eyes test pressings, Judas Iscariot - The Cold Earth Slept Below bootleg alternate session LP, Lurker of Chalice self-titled 2LP, and Weakling - Dead as Dreams 2LP.

the number one of them all is the Order from Chaos - Plateau of Invincibility test 10". Still amazes me that I have it.

this page already rules.

my favorite records are my Order from Chaos test pressings, Yellow Eyes test pressings, Judas Iscariot - The Cold Earth Slept Below bootleg alternate session LP, Lurker of Chalice self-titled 2LP, and Weakling - Dead as Dreams 2LP.

the number one of them all is the Order from Chaos - Plateau of Invincibility test 10". Still amazes me that I have it.

Awesome stuff! Very jealous of the Order from Chaos stuff. Weakling would be amazing on wax too!

Awesome stuff! Very jealous of the Order from Chaos stuff. Weakling would be amazing on wax too!

thank you! Yeah, OfC is my favorite band ever and it took years of hunting to get where I am with my collection. I should take some updated pictures of it sometime. The Weakling is indeed a record owned with much care and pride.

by the way I noticed you're new to this thread and that a lot of the bands you're mentioning are more on the underground side which I appreciate. Welcome.

thank you! Yeah, OfC is my favorite band ever and it took years of hunting to get where I am with my collection. I should take some updated pictures of it sometime. The Weakling is indeed a record owned with much care and pride.

by the way I noticed you're new to this thread and that a lot of the bands you're mentioning are more on the underground side which I appreciate. Welcome.

Thanks!

I've lurked NeoGAF for a long while, I figured it was about time I made an account. I am happy to be here!

Bitanator

Thanks!

I've lurked NeoGAF for a long while, I figured it was about time I made an account. I am happy to be here!

Metal thread is one of the best parts of Gaf, and since NPD died along with the Japanese video game market for fun Media Create threads I'd argue it is the best always welcome to new people to help aid in discussions.

If we're posting favorite albums we own....

I have an original vinyl of Laaz Rockit's Annihilation Principle, was the first record I ever bought (don't have a record player) and I saw it for dirt cheap from an international seller on ebay (like $13 shipped?)

On the slightly more rare side of things, original Napalm Death From Enslavement To Obliteration CD that includes Scum, as well as Nokturnel - Nothing But Hatred CD

I accidentally bought this. Funnily enough, I had listened to it beforehand and somehow thought it was worth buying. When the guy busts out the "You de beast...evil one" (or whatever, it was years and years since I listened to it) it rocketed into my top five hilarious metal records. Another one was Misanthrope's "1666...Theatre Bizarre". The nineties was truly a golden decade of hilarity in metal.

Metal thread is one of the best parts of Gaf, and since NPD died along with the Japanese video game market for fun Media Create threads I'd argue it is the best always welcome to new people to help aid in discussions.

I certainly feel welcomed!

Evil Invaders is a killer album, by the way.

I've never collected vinyl so I guess my most favorite CD that I own would have to be either Mercyful Fate's Melissa or Morbid Angel's Covenant or Altars of Madness CDS I bought when I was a teenager. Not rare or anything in particular, but they mean a lot to me as they're a few my most favorite albums of all time, and really changed my taste in music.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who is the most try-hard kvlt edgelord of the year forever, you ask?

I got a good candidate right here. Go ahead, try to beat that! :D

(For context, he submitted his band to M-A but refused to provide sound samples for us to evaluate, and wrote this as a reason: "My music is made for the cemetery not the internet. I refuse to upload it online but I will gladly mail you a cassette if you provide me with a mailing address." Needless to say, we weren't gonna work like that.)

(For context, he submitted his band to M-A but refused to provide sound samples for us to evaluate, and wrote this as a reason: "My music is made for the cemetery not the internet. I refuse to upload it online but I will gladly mail you a cassette if you provide me with a mailing address." Needless to say, we weren't gonna work like that.)

Fucking posers listening to their mp4s and jpegs

That might be one of the best things I've read this year, what an utter cockwomble that person is :-D

One of you fine fellows assisted me in tracking down a copy of Gammera's Smoke & Mirrors. Acid King's bassist used to be in the band. I Iost it a long time ago and there was barely a trace of them on the internet. Not even a Wikipedia page and maybe one song on youtube. I've uploaded it if anyone wants some stoner/doom to listen to. The band has been defunct for a number of years now but I really clicked with this album for some reason. Hopefully this isn't frowned upon, if it is, please remove this post and apologies.

Smoke & Mirrors.

Forgive the lame movie making skills. I've never made one before.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Never ever liked Metallica.
Have been sitting now for about 1½ hours listening to Hardwired. It is really fucking good :)

I was pleasantly surprised about Hardwired, but it would be much better if they shortened several (75%) of tracks

Seeing Ghost for the 3rd time on 20th April in Vienna. Bought tickets today :)

Kwixotik

This isn't really metal, but I think some of y'all might like it. I ran into this album rather randomly earlier and enjoy it quite a bit. While I'm sure many of you are familiar, I'd never heard of the genre "dungeon synth" before tonight. It's apparently, as its subreddit describes it, "an offshoot of atmospheric black metal and synthesized drone" that attempts to create "the true sound of the dungeon" or "medieval dreamscapes".

Hedge Wizard - More True Than Time Thought
https://hedgewizard.bandcamp.com/

If you're going to listen to one track, I'd suggest Huffing Petrichor based on my first couple listens of the album.

LOL LOL LOL LOL.

If we're posting favorite albums we own....

I have an original vinyl of Laaz Rockit's Annihilation Principle, was the first record I ever bought (don't have a record player) and I saw it for dirt cheap from an international seller on ebay (like $13 shipped?)

just get one from Goodwill or something.

One of you fine fellows assisted me in tracking down a copy of Gammera's Smoke & Mirrors.

hey that was me. Cheers, this is some crunchy stuff. And it's cool that you uploaded it. I like trying to expose obscure pickups as well.

This isn't really metal, but I think some of y'all might like it. I ran into this album rather randomly earlier and enjoy it quite a bit. While I'm sure many of you are familiar, I'd never heard of the genre "dungeon synth" before tonight. It's apparently, as its subreddit describes it, "an offshoot of atmospheric black metal and synthesized drone" that attempts to create "the true sound of the dungeon" or "medieval dreamscapes".

Hedge Wizard - More True Than Time Thought
https://hedgewizard.bandcamp.com/

If you're going to listen to one track, I'd suggest Huffing Petrichor based on my first couple listens of the album.

I love dungeon synth!

My favorite dungeon synth tracks are probably the two from Summoning's "Lost Tales EP", complete with Lord of the Rings samples, nontheless!

Early Mortiis is considered to be hugely important to the dungeon synth sound before he turned into an edgelord.

Depressive Silence's 1996 demo is also considered to be a classic dungeon synth recording, and for good reason. Dark and dreamy.

For more recent artists, Lord Lovidicus and Erang (far less grimdark) are a couple of the more popular and prolific dungeon synth artists.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

I think that even in the remote forests of Scandinavia you won't find more trve kvlt person than this :D

choodi

Banned
Never ever liked Metallica.
Have been sitting now for about 1½ hours listening to Hardwired. It is really fucking good :)

I like it, but after some prolonged listening you soon realise that there is a fantastic 40 minute, 8 or 9 track album buried in there. Too much filler and almost all of the songs are too long.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I like it, but after some prolonged listening you soon realise that there is a fantastic 40 minute, 8 or 9 track album buried in there. Too much filler and almost all of the songs are too long.

Plus it would be godly with St.Anger snare sound. Still waiting for a hero to switch it into Hardwired :p

ACE 1991

*frowny* But I really like Ghost Bath.

Really like Oathbreaker too, but still

They're not a bad band, but you have to recognize how shamelessly they are ripping off Deafheaven. The track and album titles of their LP are so clearly a reference to Sunbather. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of that, however.

Spwn

Had totally missed the latest songs by Grave Pleasures. The Climax album they released under Beastmilk name is one of my all time favorites, but the first one released as Grave Pleasures was a huge disappointment. Deadenders sounds like the good old stuff and got me really excited for the upcoming album.

https://gravepleasures.bandcamp.com/releases

They're not a bad band, but you have to recognize how shamelessly they are ripping off Deafheaven. The track and album titles of their LP are so clearly a reference to Sunbather. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of that, however.
isn't Ghost Bath that band that pretended to be from China for kvlt points

Top Bottom