• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/31_best_technical_death_metal_bands.html

31. Hieronymus Bosch
30. Fallujah
29. Demilich
28. Beyond Creation
27. Anata
26. Sadist
25. Brain Drill
24. Ulcerate
23. Nocturnus
22. Fleshgod Apocalypse
21. Decrepit Birth
20. Arsis
19. Gorod
18. Psycroptic
17. Dying Fetus
16. Spawn of Possession
15. Immolation
14. Origin
13. Beneath the Massacre
12. Obscura
11. Pestilence
10. The Faceless
9. Gorguts
8. Suffocation
7. Cryptopsy
6. Decapitated
5. Atheist
4. Cynic
3. Nile
2. Necrophagist
1. Death

?

fallout

Chrono Trigger has a great soundtrack, but I never understood the massive boner the Internet has for Chrono Cross', other than the title track. <shrugs> Every time someone tries to convince me it's great and posts song samples, it's always coma-inducing stuff. xD
I've always been captivated by its almost ... spacey sound? I didn't realize that the internet had a massive boner for it, though.

I've always been captivated by its almost ... spacey sound? I didn't realize that the internet had a massive boner for it, though.

It's on list after list from what I've seen. Even on sites like RYM.

I wonder what Gafs all time top 10 soundtrack will be. That thread will hopefully come eventually.

Probably awful stuff. I've disagreed with almost all top 10 of gen ___ OSTs so far :p Except when Ys is mentioned I guess.

Hopefully it will be somewhat redeemed with at least Symphony and FFVI, I would be shocked and disappointed if neither are in the top 5.

For a darker taste, I recommend these...

Silent Hill 1-4
The Last of Us +Left Behind
Bloodborne
The Order: 1886
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Little Nightmares

Silent Hill has great music, especially the second. TLOU I liked as well. Not sure about The Order, game was so fucking boring I didn't even recognize the music.

Melchiah

Silent Hill has great music, especially the second. TLOU I liked as well. Not sure about The Order, game was so fucking boring I didn't even recognize the music.

Personally, I like the first Silent Hill soundtrack the most for its industrial emphasis.

The Order has its flaws, but the somber soundtrack is great. Here's some sample songs of it and Ethan Carter, that I posted on the 2015 voting thread.

And Little Nightmares soundtrack is playfully dark.

dx202z

Neo Member
For the lovers of a good Post-Metal/Shoegaze album. New Sorrow Plagues is that.

a0041902157_10.jpg

Artwork reminds me of Journey.

https://sorrowplagues.bandcamp.com/

https://open.spotify.com/album/5rcaPWtzpl99Ard2dtGXcT

I dig it. More recommendations please.

Gray Matter

Dan has been on fire lately.

I could be a rarity here; I wasn't a huge fan of Coma Ecliptic at first, but the live disk ended up hitting the spot for me.

Same here, coma wasn't a hit with me at first, then I saw them play the entire album live last year and I could see how much work and passion they put into it, made me enjoy it more.

Still... Colors is still GOAT.

https://instagram.com/p/BU7H4Kxg9BW/

New BTBAM making progress, might even hear a new track before the year is over.

Hope we get some new material. I've been craving some new BTBAM.

Personally, I like the first Silent Hill soundtrack the most for its industrial emphasis.

The Order has its flaws, but the somber soundtrack is great. Here's some sample songs of it and Ethan Carter, that I posted on the 2015 voting thread.

And Little Nightmares soundtrack is playfully dark.

Hmmm, The Order isn't too bad, I like its mood. Not something I would listen to regularly, but its well done.

I was so disappointed in that game, because I loved the aesthetics. But the game just wasn't fun to play.

Melchiah

Hmmm, The Order isn't too bad, I like its mood. Not something I would listen to regularly, but its well done.

I was so disappointed in that game, because I loved the aesthetics. But the game just wasn't fun to play.

Aside from the QTEs and poorly handled werewolf encounters and stealth sections (which you could bypass with a crossbow), I actually enjoyed the game. The atmosphere and setting was great, the little gunplay that it had felt good, and some of the weapons were interesting to use. I've been thinking about replaying it at some point, when I have the time for it.

I don't mean to sound like an insane person here but i've literally listened to Benighted's Necrobreed 7 times in a row today. Killer riffs on every song, crazy precise drumming from Romain Goulon, a godly bass tone, and easily my favorite death metal vocalist working today.

If you want an irresistible slab of grinding death metal madness then this release is a MUST LISTEN. When it came out earlier this year I enjoyed it but over the past few months its become one of my favorite albums.

But enough of my gushing praise, Benighted is a band that speaks for themselves. Just listen to the title track. If that doesn't hook you then I don't know what will.

NEC-RO-BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Isocr4cy

Awesome!!! Loved Language.
Can't wait to see these guys again with BTBAM in Oct.
Fucking love this band so much.

I saw them in Canada when they came with Tesseract, ERRA and Skyharbor. Pretty much everyone at the venue agreed that they were by far the standouts of the night. Their set that night was exclusively Language tracks and man, it was just incredible. Lessard has such a unique and powerful presence on stage, I really wish there were some Canadian dates on their upcoming tour.

Gray Matter

New song Reimagined by The Contortionist... So fucking good. Album drops Sept 15, cannot wait to see what they pull off after Language.

This was ok... i guess.

I have never seen a more drastic change of sound in a band before. Exoplanet was so fucking brutal and heavy while language... wasn't. I forced myself to like language, I can listen to it and appreciate the musicianship, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss exoplanet contortionist.

Isocr4cy

This was ok... i guess.

I have never seen a more drastic change of sound in a band before. Exoplanet was so fucking brutal and heavy while language... wasn't. I forced myself to like language, I can listen to it and appreciate the musicianship, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss exoplanet contortionist.

I'm the complete opposite lol. Can't really listen to Exoplanet at all-- Intrinsic is decent, and I absolutely fell in love with Language. The single is obviously more radio friendly then their usual, but it's still hitting me like my first play-through of Language.

Been really getting into Motorhead lately and love Aftershock and Bad Magic. Even went and ordered the deluxe bad magic box set so im excited about that. Sucks that ill never get to see em live but Lemmy's spirit will live on in me.

choodi

Banned
I normally don't care for Jorn's solo albums but the new one has some damn good tunes on it. Surprise of the year for me.

Yeah, I threw that on the other day intending to just listen to a couple of tracks to see what it was like (I've never heard any of his material) and I actually let the whole album run.

Good, honest heavy metal.

lordxar

That new Wode album is bad ass but I've only had time to listen once. I really need to just buy it and put it on my Google Play list so I can absorb it because unfortunately its not on there.

I spent the first few months of the year going through my digital library and clearing out things I wasn't keen on so that took a long time to pare things down. So getting into this years music or just addressing the backlog of stuff I wanted to check out took some time to get around to. So here are some really cool albums I've ran across so far:

The new God Dethroned - The World Ablaze is really good and I love listening to it but for some reason it gets on my nerves a bit. I can't pin it down but somewhere in the middle the whole WW1 theme gets old but then by the time the last song is over I'm back on board again. Shrug.

Some Castlevania themes going on here. All Hell - The Grave Alchemist

All-Hell-The-Grave-Alchemist-500x500.jpg

I really dig the weird crow executioner looking guys here and the music is this odd blend of blackened jazzy organ metal mix which I get lost in.
Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue

Hail-Spirit-Noir-Artwork-PR.jpg

This doesn't have a Bandcamp listing as of yet for a link but its pretty bad ass Vampire -
With Primeval Force

42505.jpg

This band gives me heavy Sigh vibes in a good way. Aenaon - Hypnosophy

code110-500x500.jpg

Honorable mentions:
I didn't really care for the first Ghost Bath but I like their new one.
Bear Mace - Butchering the Colossus
Mors Principium Est - Embers of a Dying World

jviggy43

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/31_best_technical_death_metal_bands.html

31. Hieronymus Bosch
30. Fallujah
29. Demilich
28. Beyond Creation
27. Anata
26. Sadist
25. Brain Drill
24. Ulcerate
23. Nocturnus
22. Fleshgod Apocalypse
21. Decrepit Birth
20. Arsis
19. Gorod
18. Psycroptic
17. Dying Fetus
16. Spawn of Possession
15. Immolation
14. Origin
13. Beneath the Massacre
12. Obscura
11. Pestilence
10. The Faceless
9. Gorguts
8. Suffocation
7. Cryptopsy
6. Decapitated
5. Atheist
4. Cynic
3. Nile
2. Necrophagist
1. Death

?

The honorable mention section alone....

Probably my favorite metal genre right now.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone listen to the new Elder yet? Only had time to check out the opening track, and I think it sounded a bit... restrained? I mean, Lore was my metal AotY of 2015, so it has big shoes to fill...

Anyone listen to the new Elder yet? Only had time to check out the opening track, and I think it sounded a bit... restrained? I mean, Lore was my metal AotY of 2015, so it has big shoes to fill...
I think it's better than Lore in almost every way or at least in terms of blending doom with prog. Loving the addition of the mellotron/synths.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's better than Lore in almost every way or at least in terms of blending doom with prog. Loving the addition of the mellotron/synths.
Cool, I'll give it a spin this evening. Album art is sooo nice again...

lordxar

I was disappointed in Elder and with the new Mutoid man both. Elder I'm coming around on but it's still in yey or nay list for now.

Don't know if anyone here likes Burnt By The Sun but their new project/successor River Black has been putting out several tracks from their new album

I'm honestly a bit crushed at how little the songs are connecting with me. Dave Witte has had issues and isn't able to blast like he used to, which is understandable, but everything about the songs is just really tame and dull. Riffs aren't unique like BBTS. It's overall like a subdued, vague attempt at the BBTS sound. Bleh. I'll give the full album a spin since none of it is bad by any means but it's just not what I hoped for. Sounds like all of the pieces are there and it, in theory, should be amazing, but it isn't

River Black - Boat

e_i

31. Hieronymus Bosch
30. Fallujah
29. Demilich
28. Beyond Creation
27. Anata
26. Sadist
25. Brain Drill
24. Ulcerate
23. Nocturnus
22. Fleshgod Apocalypse
21. Decrepit Birth
20. Arsis
19. Gorod
18. Psycroptic
17. Dying Fetus
16. Spawn of Possession
15. Immolation
14. Origin
13. Beneath the Massacre
12. Obscura
11. Pestilence
10. The Faceless
9. Gorguts
8. Suffocation
7. Cryptopsy
6. Decapitated
5. Atheist
4. Cynic
3. Nile
2. Necrophagist
1. Death

?

Necrophagist isn't a band anymore...right? Didn't they disband...or something?

I was disappointed in Elder and with the new Mutoid man both. Elder I'm coming around on but it's still in yey or nay list for now.

Interesting. MM is obviously difficult to handle because every release sounds so different but I haven't listened to the new Elder yet. I never liked their singing and felt that their music works much better in a live setting. I saw them at Desertfest once and their performance blew me away, haha. I don't like the singing, they should go full instrumental (...they can do whatever they want ;D).

RDreamer

I'm loving it. Not sure whether I'd say it's better or worse than Lore or anything, but it's certainly very good.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Just listened to Loss' 2011 album Despond for the first time and holy shit that bass drum sound makes me feel things...

lordxar

Interesting. MM is obviously difficult to handle because every release sounds so different but I haven't listened to the new Elder yet. I never liked their singing and felt that their music works much better in a live setting. I saw them at Desertfest once and their performance blew me away, haha. I don't like the singing, they should go full instrumental (...they can do whatever they want ;D).

I just finished another listen and the last song is such a jam. There isn't a whole lot of vocals so the album is basically instrumental anyway. They do have that blues band feel like their way better live and that a cd can only capture so much of. Fun fact, I can't sit and listen to blues or even jazz off a disc but I love that shit live. There's just something in it that needs that live setting so I can see Elder being the same.

Top Bottom