• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Spwn

Listened through the new Iced Earth album and went in with an open mind – actually because I've been a bit in the mood for Iced Earth lately (Stormrider - Horror Show era. Even snagged the vinyl releases of Something Wicked, Days of Purgatory and Horror Show with currently waiting for Burnt Offerings to show up), I went in with some expectations despite feeling the last few albums have been some of the dullest metal albums I've ever listened to.

And god damn, they're still dull. The songs lack any dynamic, there are no actually innovative riffing or innovative anything really. They've gone so power metal that it's just not for my taste anymore and actually now I feel like Stu's lyrical output lacks the strength Barlow has in his voice, although I feel almost bad comparing the two as I think Block is a really talented vocalist with incredible range and he really can manage most of the older Iced Earth songs, be it from Barlow or Ripper era. And Block really isn't the weak link in any way - it's the songwriting. The lack of any decent melodies and everything sounding pretty much the same. Clear The Way was the only song where I actually found any hooks that made me think it was a good song for a second.

lordxar

By contrast I think this new Iced Earth is pretty good. No, it's not different or innovative but it is exactly what I love about them. I don't need everything new and improved, I just love to sit back and headbang while I'm cranking out work and there's plenty of good guitar work to enjoy.

There's also new Entrails today which I'm jamming now. It's a bit scooped out for me but I am enjoying it. Some good jams in here too.

Great new music just keeps coming this month.

Bloodshed Walhalla (Italy, Viking)
hqdefault.jpg

Impressive compositions, really well executed stuff. ffo: Skalmold, Falkenbach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYeWdp2JhHc

RDreamer

New Iced Earth isn't bad. Kinda same old shit they've been doing.

That Arcadea album by Mastodon's drummer is really strange but I kinda like it.

How were they? Going next month.

They were great. I'm amazed at how well they perform and active they are despite being in their late 50s. When I saw Judas Priest 10 years ago, Rob could barely move but Bruce was flying around like he was a coked up 20 year-old.

Ghost was good too.

I'm not that into arena shows. The acoustics are never that good, it's almost impossible to get a good spot and the crowd is annoying but I'm glad that I was able to see Iron Maiden finally. I've been a fan of them since I was in middle school but this is the first time I've ever had a chance since I'm no longer a grad student in the center of Pennsylvania.

Next time they come around, I'll try to get a pre-sale code and spend more money.

Bitanator

Speaking of epic heavy metal, I feel like this demo from several years ago was really promising:

Stone Dagger - The Siege of Jerusalem

Also from Sumerlands/Magic Circle members. Like Magic Circle, it sounds like NWOBHM played by punks (sans the doom). Passionate and hotblooded.

A lot more 80s traditional, early united states power metal vibes from this demo than nwobhm, it is still very good, Brendan Radigan has a very good voice and it carries the demo to another level

First impressions of the new Iced Earth is that it's kind of mediocre. They really released their best on youtube. Hoping the others grow on me with subsequent listens.

They were great. I'm amazed at how well they perform and active they are despite being in their late 50s. When I saw Judas Priest 10 years ago, Rob could barely move but Bruce was flying around like he was a coked up 20 year-old.

Ghost was good too.

I'm not that into arena shows. The acoustics are never that good, it's almost impossible to get a good spot and the crowd is annoying but I'm glad that I was able to see Iron Maiden finally. I've been a fan of them since I was in middle school but this is the first time I've ever had a chance since I'm no longer a grad student in the center of Pennsylvania.

Next time they come around, I'll try to get a pre-sale code and spend more money.

Awesome, thanks for the impressions. I'm pretty excited to see them for the second time - first was more than 10 years ago.

I don't ever really understand why so many people get mad when something is called 'not metal' as if that denotes some kind of stamp of approval. I mean, sure, SOAD sucks regardless of genre, but sub/genres exist for a reason.

Then again it's usually the people who think FFDP are the heaviest music on the planet that are the most annoyed by it.

more on topic, that new LOSS album is really in the running for my favorite metal album so far this year.

it really is mostly coming from the side of the less informed, but I just feel like people should just let scrubs find their own way.

new Loss is cool. I'm usually not up to date on Profound Lore but it's difficult to ignore some of the stuff on their schedule lately.

Ravager61

dawg, it's totally on point lol. In a genre littered with snares that sound like this, I think it's perfectly within reason for even the usual brutal death metal. The drummer is sick, love his rolls and general playing.

I love that brutal death snare sound for some reason but I'm glad it doesn't really exist outside of that sub-genre.

On another note, I have been blasting Ripping Corpse's Dreaming with the Dead lately. I am in love with this album. It's so fucking good. Summer is just the perfect time for old school death and thrash for me.

Tentacle Centipede (JPN) - Keichitsu

just picked this up along with the latest Gorevent. This production is my shit. J-slam idols.
Oh dude this is so good. Thanks for sharing

I dug Gorevent's latest but they still have yet to match their first album. Funnily enough this Tentacle Centipede shit sounds closer if anything. Dude on vocals rules though, love him in Traumatomy (Who I've also been a bit disappointed in, they keep chasing "real drums" sound instead of the super blown out shit from their first release. Heavy as fuck)

The new Mesrine album is very good too. Canadian grind kings, thrashing stuff

I love that brutal death snare sound for some reason but I'm glad it doesn't really exist outside of that sub-genre.

On another note, I have been blasting Ripping Corpse's Dreaming with the Dead lately. I am in love with this album. It's so fucking good. Summer is just the perfect time for old school death and thrash for me.

I would agree, it works great for the style and I find myself looking for a very specific sound when getting an impression for slam/brutal death metal stuff.

that Ripping Corpse is indeed excellent. The musicianship is off the charts. Not sure how many know of the unreleased track Exhumation Day which Shaune Kelley posted to YouTube, but the pairing of subject matter and chromatic slam riffing is almost uncanny.

Oh dude this is so good. Thanks for sharing

I dug Gorevent's latest but they still have yet to match their first album. Funnily enough this Tentacle Centipede shit sounds closer if anything. Dude on vocals rules though, love him in Traumatomy (Who I've also been a bit disappointed in, they keep chasing "real drums" sound instead of the super blown out shit from their first release. Heavy as fuck)

The new Mesrine album is very good too. Canadian grind kings, thrashing stuff

I've actually never checked out Traumatomy. Killer stuff. I definitely hear what you're saying with the drum thing. I enjoy discussions about production and little sound nuances. I guess this is a perfect opportunity to rec another particular Japanese brutal death metal album.

Infected Malignity (JPN) - The Malignity Born from Despair

now, this album I think is really fantastic from a pure music perspective. I would even go as far as to say that it's an underrated classic in the realm of brutal death metal. The production however is not on point. Guitars are subdued, the drums are too forward with an inappropriately fat snare sound for this blasting style. Nitpicks aside, I recommend this album a lot to any fan of brutal death metal, or any OSDM fans looking for more stuff in the vein of Suffocation.

Ya'll can hate but I'm digging the new Iced Earth. I like it a lot more than their previous album.

I really like Black Flag. The chorus with the pirate "arrrrrr" is fun.

Infected Malignity (JPN) - The Malignity Born from Despair

now, this album I think is really fantastic from a pure music perspective. I would even go as far as to say that it's an underrated classic in the realm of brutal death metal. The production however is not on point. Guitars are subdued, the drums are too forward with an inappropriately fat snare sound for this blasting style. Nitpicks aside, I recommend this album a lot to any fan of brutal death metal, or any OSDM fans looking for more stuff in the vein of Suffocation.
I actually really like how the drums are produced, guitars could definitely be better though. Sounds....cheap? Almost like a tiny practice amp or something.

As much as I love over the top trash can drums, I do think bands can go too far with it. I like a lot of what New Standard Elite puts out but I swear majority of those bands sound interchangeable with murky guitars, burpy vocals, and trash can drums

I dig these because it's like way overblown and upfront, especially in blasts. Kick is maybe a bit clicky for my tastes but otherwise I dig the beefy snare

I actually really like how the drums are produced, guitars could definitely be better though. Sounds....cheap? Almost like a tiny practice amp or something.

As much as I love over the top trash can drums, I do think bands can go too far with it. I like a lot of what New Standard Elite puts out but I swear majority of those bands sound interchangeable with murky guitars, burpy vocals, and trash can drums

I dig these because it's like way overblown and upfront, especially in blasts. Kick is maybe a bit clicky for my tastes but otherwise I dig the beefy snare

haha, I love the NSE productions typically but there is indeed a template there. You actually just reminded me I need to get their latest round of albums.

on this one it's a little conflicting because I actually think it is a great drum sound overall. It would be perfect on most death metal albums generally speaking. It just dominates the mix a little for me, and the snare could be tuned up ever so slightly. In BDM it's cool for me if the snare isn't pingy, but I tend to like it on the "tight" side and that also goes for any album where the drums are super busy.

edit: from checking the NSE store I found out that Unmatched Brutality is active and they just repressed Inveracity - Circle of Perversion. What the fuck.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Speaking of epic heavy metal, I feel like this demo from several years ago was really promising:

Stone Dagger - The Siege of Jerusalem

Also from Sumerlands/Magic Circle members. Like Magic Circle, it sounds like NWOBHM played by punks (sans the doom). Passionate and hotblooded.
Hah, not sure I hear the punk in Magic Circle (I know you don't mean it's punk music literally but still), but yeah this is pretty good! Coincidentally, two of my friends (one of whom is DJ Satannick herself <3) was just attending their first-ever concert yesterday night, at the Defenders of the Old after-party show. ^^

https://nycene.com/event/gates-stone-dagger-warthog-dj-satannick-at-saint-vitus/

And related to that, tonight's afterparty for that same fest features... Magic Circle and Natur. :D
Man, I wish I were in Manhattan this week-end...

I think you'd like Source too. I think it was posted earlier in this thread. Same vocalist from Ram. Great slab of heavy metal.
Ah yeah I remember Source for their Portrait connection and total MF worship. I'm honestly shocked that the singer isn't the same as Portrait's though, I thought for sure it was the same guy. xD I'll check out Ram shortly, sounds like it's up my alley.

By contrast I think this new Iced Earth is pretty good. No, it's not different or innovative but it is exactly what I love about them. I don't need everything new and improved, I just love to sit back and headbang while I'm cranking out work and there's plenty of good guitar work to enjoy.

Agreed. It's nowhere near as great as Stormrider or Burnt Offerings for me, but it's a pretty solid entry from them at this point imo. It's a fun time imo.

Was pretty hilarious/sad when they went deathcore. Saw them awhile back at MDF and it was pretty bad.

Not exactly brutal dm, but Viscera Infest is the best band in Japan right now (and probably the best current metal band, imo). Awesome Disgorge (Mex) worship. Check them out if you haven't: https://youtu.be/tUexUpICS4o?t=50s

Their album "Verrucous Carcinoma" is nuts.

Also, their drummer is unreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwWZxQlzkjA

Was pretty hilarious/sad when they went deathcore. Saw them awhile back at MDF and it was pretty bad.

Not exactly brutal dm, but Viscera Infest is the best band in Japan right now (and probably the best current metal band, imo). Awesome Disgorge (Mex) worship. Check them out if you haven't: https://youtu.be/tUexUpICS4o?t=50s

Their album "Verrucous Carcinoma" is nuts.

Also, their drummer is unreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwWZxQlzkjA

guess I should be glad I never went past their LP haha.

that set you posted is very well done, both recording and performance. Those guys are sick, will look for their CDs. Always on the hunt for more Japanese brutality.

demon326

Meet the Brides of Lucifer, a Belgian 'super group' that exists out of 13 woman from the world famous 'Scala' woman choir and they just played at Graspop Metal Meeting.

Brides of Lucifer - Fear of the Dark (Iron Maiden Cover; Scala)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XFMbxRrc2c

Brides of Lucifer - Holy Diver(Dio Cover; Scala)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si4R3rA4umI

This was the setlist(incomplete)

• Holy Diver(Dio cover)
  • Walk(Pantera cover)
  • Painkiller(Judas Priest cover)
  • Seek & Destroy(Metallica cover)
  • Engel(Rammstein cover)
  • Warriors of the World United(Manowar cover)
  • Fear of the Dark(Iron Maiden cover)

Enjoy and stay heavy ;D

Darvulia is amazing. Lots of twisted moments which I actively seek in black metal especially. I still need to pick up the NWN reissue of the third LP. Nuit Noire is cool too. Celestia I never gave much of a shot. The Mortifera stuff with Neige is great.

Darvulia is amazing. Lots of twisted moments which I actively seek in black metal especially. I still need to pick up the NWN reissue of the third LP. Nuit Noire is cool too. Celestia I never gave much of a shot. The Mortifera stuff with Neige is great.

Nuit Noire for me were at their best in their demo times. Once Upon a Night, Somewhere in the Nightpast, Black Form etc. I sort of enjoyed their first full length, Lunar Deflagration but I might have been forcing myself, to some extent.

I sorta see Darvulia as France answer to Ved Beuns Ende, especially their later material. Although, all of their material is suitably different.

Nuit Noire for me were at their best in their demo times. Once Upon a Night, Somewhere in the Nightpast, Black Form etc. I sort of enjoyed their first full length, Lunar Deflagration but I might have been forcing myself, to some extent.

I sorta see Darvulia as France answer to Ved Beuns Ende, especially their later material. Although, all of their material is suitably different.

very interesting comparison. I can kind of hear it some of that, though I would say Darvulia is decidedly more more traditional overall. That being said, the stylistic departure on the split with Sektarism was totally unexpected.

absolute, utter waste of a band name lmao. To be released via "Tofu Carnage", no less. The music is very good. Some great guitar work.

Top Bottom