• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Tankard

Listened to two very good albums released today.

360084-emp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WigErae6Q&ab_channel=Stallion(Official)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0wEii5KdyXkCCfThiZKsTi

I think it's their best work by a large margin. NWOTHM isn't dead just yet.

vintersorg2017tillfjallscd.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO-QQNpfTrk&ab_channel=NapalmRecords

https://open.spotify.com/album/7co8hz2yyCcp3UqOGsVokN

Vintersorg's follow up to their 98's classic Till Fjälls. Very solid Black/Folk.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I heard some samples of Till Fjälls II, and it was the same old proggy garbage he's been doing since after Cosmic Genesis. Was it just the one or two songs, or is the rest of the album really as good and folky as the original Till Fjälls?

ShaneB

Listened to two very good albums released today.

360084-emp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WigErae6Q&ab_channel=Stallion(Official)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0wEii5KdyXkCCfThiZKsTi

I think it's their best work by a large margin. NWOTHM isn't dead just yet.

Thanks for pointing out the new Stallion album, will give this a listen at the gym in just a bit. Rise and Ride was awesome, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

What do you mean by "NWOTHM isn't dead just yet."? Plenty of bands still putting out great classic sounding metal, unless I missed a bit of news somewhere.

Looks like you had a good time at the Carcass/KD as well!

Spwn

Got tickets to see Paradise Lost next fall. I really got into the band a couple of years ago despite being of course aware of them for years. Really big fan of almost their whole discography, although I find their earliest albums harder to get into (pre Draconian Times). Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us is perhaps my favourite and I was psyched to learn that and Tragic Idol are getting a vinyl repress in September.

Some youtube links for people not familiar with the band's output:
As Horizons End
No Hope In Sight
The Last Time
Symbol of Life

Got tickets to see Paradise Lost next fall. I really got into the band a couple of years ago despite being of course aware of them for years. Really big fan of almost their whole discography, although I find their earliest albums harder to get into (pre Draconian Times). Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us is perhaps my favourite and I was psyched to learn that and Tragic Idol are getting a vinyl repress in September.

Some youtube links for people not familiar with the band's output:
As Horizons End
No Hope In Sight
The Last Time
Symbol of Life
If you haven't seen them live, you're in for a treat. They were VERY good.

Quikies83

Horrible dilemma.. Cattle Decap, Revocation, Artificial Brain, & Full of Hell?

or

Boris & Thou? god damnit... I want to see them all live!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Horrible dilemma.. Cattle Decap, Revocation, Artificial Brain, & Full of Hell?

or

Boris & Thou? god damnit... I want to see them all live!
I would cut my dick off to see Thou live. Don't think they will ever tour Europe though. Saw Boris a few times, they've always been great, and they mostly play very varied sets spanning their whole career. Flood in its entirety was one of the best things I've ever witnessed live.

Quikies83

I would cut my dick off to see Thou live. Don't think they will ever tour Europe though. Saw Boris a few times, they've always been great, and they mostly play very varied sets spanning their whole career. Flood in its entirety was one of the best things I've ever witnessed live.
I'm with you on the dick chop for Thou. I love Boris but Thou - I need to catch them in my lifetime.
Same night? Thinking about going to that Cattle Decap show to give them a second chance.
Boris/thou play Saturday night while the Cattle show is on Monday night. It's a 3 hour drive to New Orleans for me. I can only go to one. Annnnd I'm leaning towards the Cattle show. Last time I saw them, with Cannibal Corpse, I swore I'd see them when they headline a tour that comes near me. Man I'd really give them another shot - and that bill is just too good. Artificial Brain will be worth the $20 price of admission alone.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Boris/thou play Saturday night while the Cattle show is on Monday night. It's a 3 hour drive to New Orleans for me. I can only go to one. Annnnd I'm leaning towards the Cattle show. Last time I saw them, with Cannibal Corpse, I swore I'd see them when they headline a tour that comes near me. Man I'd really give them another shot - and that bill is just too good. Artificial Brain will be worth the $20 price of admission alone.
No way to see Thou earlier (you're talking about November, right)? I think they play some shows with Cloud Rat atm, who are fucking incredible as well.

bebop242

Right - November.
Thanks for the heads up! Just checked bandsintown and i see this - http://bandsintown.com/event/147259...rsalist-church-2017?artist=Thou&came_from=234
lol - well shit.. I'll go to this

Lol it all works out. They are actually playing about 90 min away from me Wednesday but i work that night.

I also understand having to travel for shows. I have to drive 3-5 hours for about 90% of the shows I go to. It was nice to actually go to a show in my town this past Friday for once.

Tankard

Thanks for pointing out the new Stallion album, will give this a listen at the gym in just a bit. Rise and Ride was awesome, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

What do you mean by "NWOTHM isn't dead just yet."? Plenty of bands still putting out great classic sounding metal, unless I missed a bit of news somewhere.

Looks like you had a good time at the Carcass/KD as well!

I just keep hearing and reading some people saying these bands like White Wizzard, Cauldron, Enforcer etc have gone nowhere, that they didn't manage to elevate this music again. I disagree, i miss Traditional Heavy Metal that not even the old bands are doing, i don't need these new bands to go mainstream.

jmdajr

I ask this every couple years.

What's the trend in Heavy Metal these days? The last big trend I remember was the New Wave of American Heavy metal, and that's been what....ten years?

Last answer I got was that Folk Metal was becoming pretty popular.

Now I don't know. But the bands I liked in the late 90s early 2000's are still at it, so I give that a spin whenever new stuff hits (Iced Earth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Cradle of Filth, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, etc.)

edit: I hadn't realized it had been so long since Dimmu Borgir had an album out. wow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Walpyrgus recently released their debut album. Catchy traditional heavy metal about ghosties and such. Definitely reminiscent of good old Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, especially the fantastic vocals. B side is a bit underwhelming imo, but A is great.

I just took a listen to their Bandcamp, expecting something at the very least like Portrait and In Solitude, and I have to ask what the hell it is that you are smoking. This shit is NOTHING like KD/MF. At all. It doesn't have the evil, menacing atmosphere found in those bands at all, nor its more epic or grandiose aspect. It's ultra-cheery, happy-sounding bubblegum pop metal that makes the cheesiest Accept songs sound like Melissa.

No, just no. Honestly I couldn't even stand to listen to the whole thing, it was too obnoxious.

I ask this every couple years.

What's the trend in Heavy Metal these days? The last big trend I remember was the New Wave of American Heavy metal, and that's been what....ten years?

Last answer I got was that Folk Metal was becoming pretty popular.

Now I don't know. But the bands I liked in the late 90s early 2000's are still it, so I give that a spin whenever new stuff hits (Iced Earth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Cradle of Filth, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, etc.)

edit: I hadn't realized it had been so long since Dimmu Borgir had an album out. wow.

Probably djent and deathcore. IDK, fuck trends really. ;) Even when it's not inherently bad music like, say, the folk metal trend that was happening, it just saturated the scene so that I got sick of it.

Also, all those bands, without exception, are wayyy past their prime. You do you but I would recommend discovering other bands instead of sticking to these bands' new output because it's honestly not just inferior to their older albums, but you'll find stuff that's just better overall.

jmdajr

Probably djent and deathcore. IDK, fuck trends really. ;) Even when it's not inherently bad music like, say, the folk metal trend that was happening, it just saturated the scene so that I got sick of it.

Also, all those bands, without exception, are wayyy past their prime. You do you but I would recommend discovering other bands instead of sticking to these bands' new output because it's honestly not just inferior to their older albums, but you'll find stuff that's just better overall.

I discover new stuff here and there, but then I just feel like eh. It doesn't make me feel anything. Might just be an age thing. But my window of being in awe of discovering new bands is pretty much gone I feel. I don't know what they can do to inspire me to something truly new and unique.

The bands I like might be old, but I respect that they keep on trucking.

If you're looking for something new/weird, maybe check out Igorrr's newest

Savage Sinusoid

Elevator pitch: It's Anaal Nathrakh meets DOOM 2016 OST meets classical Baroque music

It's doing the music a disservice but it's the easiest way to describe it. It's like death/black mixed with breakcore/glitching and classical stuff. I was hesitant to give it a shot because that to me just seems like some forced tryhard "artsy" shit but honestly I've been really digging it. It's really smooth sounding and ends up just being so different from anything else I've really heard before. Definitely a weird listen though

jmdajr

Savage Sinusoid

Elevator pitch: It's Anaal Nathrakh meets DOOM 2016 OST meets classical Baroque music

It's doing the music a disservice but it's the easiest way to describe it. It's like death/black mixed with breakcore/glitching and classical stuff. I was hesitant to give it a shot because that to me just seems like some forced tryhard "artsy" shit but honestly I've been really digging it. It's really smooth sounding and ends up just being so different from anything else I've really heard before. Definitely a weird listen though

Cool. I'll give it a spin. Might as well take advantage of the Amazon Unlimited music account.

edit: what in the fuck!

lordxar

Savage Sinusoid

I'd describe it as System of a Down married a Nintendo and had a kid that liked the Matrix soundtrack...its fucking out there but strangely compelling...

Edit...lets add in some Skrillex, circus clowns and accordion because reasons

I feel like we're past peak deathcore now given that Suicide Silence controversy.

I have the impression there is a new wave of Stoner Metal, Traditional Metal and Blues Rock going on right now, but I don't know if this will last. In fact that was mainly 2016 so maybe just a coincidence of new bands and releases.

jmdajr

So I just discovered Zeal and Ardor.

omg.

99dc61d0-5197-4067-8da2-c2494e12db70

I know most here must know of it, but since I don't keep up, this is pretty crazy.

DemWalls

Savage Sinusoid

Awful. Why all the screaming? It just ruins everything. Since apparently there are no lyrics, it could've been an excellent instrumental album.

I love Z&A but honestly I hope he experiments with other things instead of recreating more BM/spiritual hybrids. I can see that becoming formulaic very easily.

jmdajr

I think so too, we're probably on our own though!

LOL!

Yeah I'm thinking my metal tastes don't count as very sophisticated here. Outside the "classics" my musical choices might as well be rated at Britney Spears levels.
I like Britney Spears

I did buy this the year it came out so maybe it helps, or is this too mainstream now?
Palefolklore.jpg

I only knew of this album because of a fucking Fanzine. Remember those?

The new River Black album is streaming

The songs they didn't put out beforehand are much better but it still never kicks into full gear like Burnt By The Sun used to. First song has blasts for like 5 seconds :'(

Stream here

At a certain point it all just blends together. Midpaced hardcore grooves for life

RDreamer

I discover new stuff here and there, but then I just feel like eh. It doesn't make me feel anything. Might just be an age thing. But my window of being in awe of discovering new bands is pretty much gone I feel. I don't know what they can do to inspire me to something truly new and unique.

The bands I like might be old, but I respect that they keep on trucking.

I just hope I never get like this. :p

I spend so much time discovering new music that amazes and moves me, I couldn't imagine being jaded and/or stuck in the past right now. Your experience is probably closer to the norm, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So even though it's tomorrow, I am posting this today because a) I literally just remembered now and b) I won't be online much, if at all, tomorrow, so might as well post it now...

Tomorrow Jul. 7th will be the 15th anniversary of the Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives. Pretty happy that we've come this far and grown to be the #1 online resource for metal. Big thanks to all the contributors over the years, big and small, and our tireless* moderators for making it possible to make the site as comprehensive and high quality as it is.

Someone in our chatroom asked what my favourite M-A moment is. I'm not sure what that would be, but I think it could be the 2012 April Fools prank, where we put up the FBI takedown notice (similar to Megaupload) which freaked the hell out of people. Even had folks IRL tell me that I got them good. Laughed so hard at that.

* Not actually tireless, I know they get tired and fed up and all that, because it's a thankless shite job for sure. But they sure are brave and strong-willed and I am forever grateful to them <3

jmdajr

I just hope I never get like this. :p

I spend so much time discovering new music that amazes and moves me, I couldn't imagine being jaded and/or stuck in the past right now. Your experience is probably closer to the norm, though.

I think music has a closer connection to your psyche when you are younger and still developing and discovering new things. It takes you back to a time and place.

So no matter what music I discover now and think is cool, I don't think it's ever going to hit me the same way. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia trips though. At least not to me.

But going out, buying CDs, buying merch, putting up posters, going to shows in shitty clubs, listening to music with friends in the car, it's all kind of over for me.

This makes it seem like I'm miserable, which is not true. I just enjoy life in different ways now. Music is not a part of it like it used to. Like for awhile that's all I lived for. Going to Metal shows with friends. They are memories I will never forget. But most memories I am building now are centered around different things. And who knows, I will never shut the door to music completely. I will never dump all my 100s CDs, posters, or books on this history of metal. They are part of who I was/am and enjoyed it immensely.

RDreamer

I think music has a closer connection to your psyche when you are younger and still developing and discovering new things. It takes you back to a time and place.

So no matter what music I discover now and think is cool, I don't think it's ever going to hit me the same way. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia trips though. At least not to me.

But going out, buying CDs, buying merch, putting up posters, going to shows in shitty clubs, listening to music with friends in the car, it's all kind of over for me.

This makes it seem like I'm miserable, which is not true. I just enjoy life in different ways now. Music is not a part of it like it used to. Like for awhile that's all I lived for. Going to Metal shows with friends. They are memories I will never forget. But most memories I am building now are centered around different things. And who knows, I will never shut the door to music completely. I will never dump all my 100s CDs, posters, or books on this history of metal. They are part of who I was/am and enjoyed it immensely.

How old are you, if I may ask?

I'm just 31 but I think studies put most music discovery stopping a bit before that.

Maybe the difference is that music for me was never really a social thing like with you. I've really not been to that many shows, especially not when I was younger. I never had real life friends to really connect to with music, either. I can see people growing out of that stuff as life gets busy and friends kind of go away, and then that makes music feel different than when you were younger. To me though music was always a very isolated thing for myself. That's not to say I didn't go to a few concerts and talk to a few people about it, but that part never made up a large portion of my musical nostalgia at all.

So maybe since I didn't lose those other connections I still kind of feel like nothing's changed and I'm still going strong.

jmdajr

How old are you, if I may ask?

I'm just 31 but I think studies put most music discovery stopping a bit before that.

Maybe the difference is that music for me was never really a social thing like with you. I've really not been to that many shows, especially not when I was younger. I never had real life friends to really connect to with music, either. I can see people growing out of that stuff as life gets busy and friends kind of go away, and then that makes music feel different than when you were younger. To me though music was always a very isolated thing for myself. That's not to say I didn't go to a few concerts and talk to a few people about it, but that part never made up a large portion of my musical nostalgia at all.

So maybe since I didn't lose those other connections I still kind of feel like nothing's changed and I'm still going strong.

I'm going to be
in September.

Hopefully they, won't be coming after me

edit: I was going through my CD collection and looking at all the concert stubs I kept. For sure.. I got some feels.

So even though it's tomorrow, I am posting this today because a) I literally just remembered now and b) I won't be online much, if at all, tomorrow, so might as well post it now...

Tomorrow Jul. 7th will be the 15th anniversary of the Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives. Pretty happy that we've come this far and grown to be the #1 online resource for metal. Big thanks to all the contributors over the years, big and small, and our tireless* moderators for making it possible to make the site as comprehensive and high quality as it is.

Someone in our chatroom asked what my favourite M-A moment is. I'm not sure what that would be, but I think it could be the 2012 April Fools prank, where we put up the FBI takedown notice (similar to Megaupload) which freaked the hell out of people. Even had folks IRL tell me that I got them good. Laughed so hard at that.

* Not actually tireless, I know they get tired and fed up and all that, because it's a thankless shite job for sure. But they sure are brave and strong-willed and I am forever grateful to them <3

That's a cool anniversary, M-A still is the site I go to for finding new Metal bands.

Top Bottom