• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

jmdajr

Note. I had never listened to this album in my whole life. I guess I avoided it because of everything surrounding it. Finally gave it a spin on amazon prime of all places.
Well, it certainly wasn't what I expected. Especially the vocals.

Mayhem_demysteriisdomsathanas.jpg

Note. I had never listened to this album in my whole life. I guess I avoided it because of everything surrounding it. Finally gave it a spin on amazon prime of all places.
Well, it certainly wasn't what I expected. Especially the vocals.

Mayhem_demysteriisdomsathanas.jpg
I guess I can see that if you're coming to it with the pretense of "stereotypical black metal"

I'm not the biggest fan of Attila but I do think his vocals work well for the album, also helps it sound more unique than their other vocalists. I really like Maniac's work in the late 90's with Mayhem, dude was ridiculous (though I generally prefer way over the top vocal styles, like Hat on Gorgoroth's first album Pentagram)

You didn't really say if you liked it or not, so since you said you avoided it and it wasn't what you expected.....I assume you kind of dug it? Lol

Personally it's one of my favorite albums. The riffs and drumming are too perfect. The band went hella experimental after this album (they broke up and reunited in the mid 90s) and I dig that stuff but it's completely different. Their first album Deathcrush has good riffs but lacks the cold of De Mysteriis. The fast drumming and vocals are also garbage (Maniac's first tenure in the band, when he was wailing before he figured out how to shred his vocals)

jmdajr

I guess I can see that if you're coming to it with the pretense of "stereotypical black metal"

I'm not the biggest fan of Attila but I do think his vocals work well for the album, also helps it sound more unique than their other vocalists. I really like Maniac's work in the late 90's with Mayhem, dude was ridiculous (though I generally prefer way over the top vocal styles, like Hat on Gorgoroth's first album Pentagram)

You didn't really say if you liked it or not, so since you said you avoided it and it wasn't what you expected.....I assume you kind of dug it? Lol

Personally it's one of my favorite albums. The riffs and drumming are too perfect. The band went hella experimental after this album (they broke up and reunited in the mid 90s) and I dig that stuff but it's completely different. Their first album Deathcrush has good riffs but lacks the cold of De Mysteriis. The fast drumming and vocals are also garbage (Maniac's first tenure in the band, when he was wailing before he figured out how to shred his vocals)

I will have to listen a few more times. I more or less had it on as background music.

Gray Matter

Between this and orbs I'm starting to become a much bigger fan of briggs' side projects than Btbam at this point.

Also, his music recommendations are top notch. Just saw he posted about this band bubblemath on his twitter and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

first time posting in this thread

but uh did you guys know that wacken has been or at least, was streaming live these past couple of days because I didn't

lol

apparently Alice cooper was awesome

Gray Matter

Indeed, Ive found so many good bands due to his suggestions. He also got me into Haken. God bless that man.

I got into Haken at a BTBAM concert last year. Saw a few people wearing Haken shirts and asked this girl who was wearing one and told me all about them, been hooked ever since.

In fact, I'll be seeing them both live next month. Colors 10 year anniversary tour and Hakens 10 year anniversary tour.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
first time posting in this thread

but uh did you guys know that wacken has been or at least, was streaming live these past couple of days because I didn't

lol

apparently Alice cooper was awesome

Yeah, they have been doing that for last few years. Stuff can be found already on Youtube and they will probably post several performances on their official channel during the year

Is it blissful?

It's like a dream.
Seriously though, the whole combination of ethereal melodies and intense black metal is just too god damn good. And i'm not even really much of a black metal fan.
Oh and the sound quality is good, so that's also a plus.
Check out Astronoid if you havent, they released my favourite album last year. I've been meaning to venture further into the whole shoegaze/blackgaze subgenre but i've mostly been stuck on Alcest and Astronoid.

Edit: Speaking of astronoid: This specific part tingles me hard https://youtu.be/Q2nuzVEbUzw?t=187

The drumming on this album is insane and unexplainable other than it being layered/multi-tracked. Riffs, drumming, and production are perfect.

Holy shit, this is Led Zeppelin reincarnated.

Ah man, I hate soulless copycat-bands like these. Competent enough in a technical sense but minus the attitude, rawness or originality. Some band members even try to immitate the movements, haha. Another band I can't stand because of that is Orchid.

I wouldn't blame anyone who likes this, it just makes me mad, personally.

Mayhem US tour announced with Black Anvil and Immolation:

http://www.metalinjection.net/tour-...rth-american-tour-with-black-anvil-immolation

11/03 Buffalo, NY – Waiting Room
11/04 Kitchener, ON – Dallas
11/05 Detroit, MI – St. Andrews Hall
11/06 Columbus, OH – Skully's Music Diner
11/07 Madison, WI – The Majestic
11/09 Joliet, IL – The Forge
11/10 St. Louis, MO – The Ready Room
11/11 Lawrence, KS – The Granada
11/12 Omaha, NE – The Waiting Room
11/14 Albuquerque, NM – El Rey Theatre
11/16 Sacramento, CA – Ace of Spades
11/17 San Diego, CA – The Observatory Northpark
11/18 Los Angeles, CA – The Fonda
11/19 Tucson, AZ – The Rialto Theatre
11/21 Austin, TX – Mohawk
11/22 Houston, TX – White Oak
11/24 Tampa, FL – The Orpheum
11/25 Jacksonville, FL – Mavericks
11/26 Birmingham, AL – Saturn
11/27 Nashville, TN – Cannery Ballroom
11/28 Charlotte, NC – Neighborhood Theatre
11/30 Pittsburgh, PA – Mr. Smalls Theatre
12/01 Baltimore, MD – Baltimore Sound Stage
12/02 New York, NY – Irving Plaza

pablito

Mayhem US tour announced with Black Anvil and Immolation:

http://www.metalinjection.net/tour-...rth-american-tour-with-black-anvil-immolation

11/03 Buffalo, NY – Waiting Room
11/04 Kitchener, ON – Dallas
11/05 Detroit, MI – St. Andrews Hall
11/06 Columbus, OH – Skully’s Music Diner
11/07 Madison, WI – The Majestic
11/09 Joliet, IL – The Forge
11/10 St. Louis, MO – The Ready Room
11/11 Lawrence, KS – The Granada
11/12 Omaha, NE – The Waiting Room
11/14 Albuquerque, NM – El Rey Theatre
11/16 Sacramento, CA – Ace of Spades
11/17 San Diego, CA – The Observatory Northpark
11/18 Los Angeles, CA – The Fonda
11/19 Tucson, AZ – The Rialto Theatre
11/21 Austin, TX – Mohawk
11/22 Houston, TX – White Oak
11/24 Tampa, FL – The Orpheum
11/25 Jacksonville, FL – Mavericks
11/26 Birmingham, AL – Saturn
11/27 Nashville, TN – Cannery Ballroom
11/28 Charlotte, NC – Neighborhood Theatre
11/30 Pittsburgh, PA – Mr. Smalls Theatre
12/01 Baltimore, MD – Baltimore Sound Stage
12/02 New York, NY – Irving Plaza

I feel like I should go to the Sacramento show just because it's Mayhem. But I never really liked them that much. Maybe if some buddies go.

Aske

I hear an orchestra 😌...I see an orchestra 😗
I greet an orchestra 😎...I meet an orchestra 😬
I'm *in* an orchestra 😲...I *am* an orchestra 🤔
I *kill* this orchestra 😠...I kill meeee!?! 😭

- King Diamond, Dead Again

I'm hardcore on the Fate train today.

I feel like I should go to the Sacramento show just because it's Mayhem. But I never really liked them that much. Maybe if some buddies go.
I would like to see Mayhem again. Haven't seen them since 2008 the night before an English final lol. Attila was going ham on the noose. But I would honestly go up to Sac just for Immolation. It's a Thursday for me on a ridiculous fall school schedule, but I still might swing it.

I actually don't even really listen to them, but I know what you mean; seems like an significant enough event to warrant consideration.

Top Bottom