• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metroid Other M Drinking Game

That's unfair, the game itself is a lot of fun. The gameplay is super fun. Like a simplified Ninja Gaiden I can play while drinking with its absurdities.

22 minutes and we have the first thumbs up!
I wasn't talking about the gameplay itself.
Definitely. Already had more slow walking. And another monologue!

OK. First boss. Bug man thing.

Daddy Adam just authorised my missiles even though he's not my boss and we met by accident. Lucky me! And now he's telling me how to kill the boss like a fairy in Zelda. Yaaay. I'm so glad big strong Daddy Adam is here.
See. So evil.

/s

It's not evil, it's stupid and pretty badly written. I just watched a cut scene that over explained the concept of teenage rebellion to the point of absurdity, reinforced through the cliched Daddy/daughter relationship of Adam and Samus. She literally said it was nice to have a father figure to rebel against because it reinforced their special bond. It's a very, very silly game, story wise.

But I mean, sorry I'm coping with my break up by drinking and having fun making fun of a game you clearly like a lot and that I'm enjoying too? Keep fighting that good fight bro.

Boney

Banned
Definitely. Already had more slow walking. And another monologue!

OK. First boss. Bug man thing.

Daddy Adam just authorised my missiles even though he's not my boss and we met by accident. Lucky me! And now he's telling me how to kill the boss like a fairy in Zelda. Yaaay. I'm so glad big strong Daddy Adam is here.
He is your boss you're working under his jurisdiction or else you'd be arrested for being on the ship in spite of the distress signal. I'm not that big a fan of the melodramatic cheesy anime style the story has going for it but c'mon

Samus is "confused and strangely exhilarated" to be taking orders. This is some 50 Shades of Grey stuff. Getting pretty hot in here. Wow.

He is your boss you're working under his jurisdiction or else you'd be arrested for being on the ship in spite of the distress signal. I'm not that big a fan of the melodramatic cheesy anime style the story has going for it but c'mon

At no point in the last half hour has it established he's her boss. The opposite actually. It's stressed her freelance nature and that they needed her to even get on the ship. Fuck I need another drink.

RagnarokX

But Samus is a freelance bounty hunter who endangers her own life until her 'superior' authorises the use of tech she has built into her suit?

She's still bound by the laws of the government she works for; unless she wants to become a criminal. That's why at the end of Fusion she becomes a criminal when she betrays orders. Apart from the Varia Suit thing, it's a decent excuse for the upgrade system (need to analyze Samus' upgrades to make sure they can be used without endangering everyone else). But in the end that's all it is, an excuse. It's hardly any worse than the other excuses they've used like Samus getting hit by a wire that somehow damages all of her upgrades or Samus simply forgetting to bring them for some reason.

She's still bound by the laws of the government she works for; unless she wants to become a criminal. That's why at the end of Fusion she becomes a criminal when she betrays orders. Apart from the Varia Suit thing, it's a decent excuse for the upgrade system (need to analyze Samus' upgrades to make sure they can be used without endangering everyone else). But in the end that's all it is, an excuse. It's hardly any worse than the other excuses they've used like Samus getting hit by a wire that somehow damages all of her upgrades or Samus simply forgetting to bring them for some reason.

Is that why Boba Fett
____________ died____
in Return Of The Jedi? Jabba didn't authorize jet packs or something. Suddenly life makes a lot more sense.

Remind me to never play this game.

It's actually sort of like playing a completely non-ironic b-movie.

This game is basically the climax of Aliens but with Ripley having to borrow Hick's swipe card and him making her wait until Newt is nearly dead before lending it so she can use the power loader.

Boney

Banned
At no point in the last half hour has it established he's her boss. The opposite actually. It's stressed her freelance nature and that they needed her to even get on the ship. Fuck I need another drink.
The bottleship is under Federation jurisdiction for the investigation. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Like lots of people not knowing who the deleter was. I guess people get their brain in sleep mode because of all the in your face exposition, that whenever there's any implications they just go over their heads.

RagnarokX

Is that why Boba Fett
____________ died____
in Return Of The Jedi? Jabba didn't authorize jet packs or something. Suddenly life makes a lot more sense.

It's actually sort of like playing a completely non-ironic b-movie.

Your example isn't comparable. Jabba is a criminal leader and Boba Fett has questionable morals. Fett works for the government, too, which in that universe is evil, and doesn't betray anyone he works for. He's never put in a situation where he needs to follow strict orders.

Samus is a good lawful citizen who works for the government that controls the galaxy. I mean, yeah, she could say "Fuck you!" to the government and do her own thing but I doubt being a criminal would look good on her resume.

Adam is a high ranking officer. He tells Samus that this is an official investigation and that if she wants to investigate, too, she'll have to follow orders. The alternative would be that she would have to leave. You know, cuz she likes getting work from the government not going to jail.

Garlador

No joke. I got a bunch of friends together and we did this!

... using orange soda, not alcohol (because we have things we wanted to live for).

... Every last one of us ended up hating the game and soured us from the taste of orange soda forever.

If anyone wants to debate me on all the ways the game sucks, I am willing to do this for years and years to come.

The bottleship is under Federation jurisdiction for the investigation. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Like lots of people not knowing who the deleter was. I guess people get their brain in sleep mode because of all the in your face exposition, that whenever there's any implications they just go over their heads.

Well the biggest criticism I have is poor writing, and inconsistent exposition style is a hallmark of that. If you're literally over-emphasisng Samus's maternal attachment and awkwardly breaking down what teenage rebellion really means then leaving stuff to be figured out through implication does not come across as clever, it comes across as sloppy and inconsistent. Either patronise your audience or don't, and certainly don't criticise the audience for not being able to figure out your narrative whims when you flit about between styles.

Also new rule: Whenever someone jumps in the thread and over explains a plot inconsistency because they can't stand Other M being mocked I drink.

It's a good game guys! It's just also profoundly stupid!

It's an alright game while simulatiously being a terrible metroid game, but that second bit is what people have these massive arguments over. And I don't really want to take much part in them anymore (It's been 5 years!) sooo

kingofpopcorn1.gif

It's an alright game while simulatiously being a terrible metroid game, but that second bit is what people have these massive arguments over. And I don't really want to take much part in them anymore (It's been 5 years!) sooo

kingofpopcorn1.gif
I'd argue its a bad game all around. At the very least, mediocre, sans visually

FFS you can god mode dodge by mashing the same dpad you already use to move. The game would have been okay. On a normal controller, without autoaim or god dodge or other various constraints that left the battles themselves incredibly, INCREDIBLY repetitive and unsatisfying. (Those melee kills doe) the game had very little challenge that wasnt a direct result of its shit controls and the combat encounters aren't as well designed around the controls and mechanics as you'd expect from Team Ninja of all teams.

Also new rule: Whenever someone jumps in the thread and over explains a plot inconsistency because they can't stand Other M being mocked I drink.
If this game doesn't kill you tonight, Neff will :3
Actually I can't remember if its the story or gameplay he really liked. I might be conflating him with this other dude who, I shit you not, was convinced that Other M's plot was Shakespeare level, and brought arguments so pretentious my eyes did back flips.

Ezalc

Samus is a good lawful citizen who works for the government that controls the galaxy. I mean, yeah, she could say "Fuck you!" to the government and do her own thing but I doubt being a criminal would look good on her resume.

Adam is a high ranking officer. He tells Samus that this is an official investigation and that if she wants to investigate, too, she'll have to follow orders. The alternative would be that she would have to leave. You know, cuz she likes getting work from the government not going to jail.

It was already mentioned but he's not her boss, sure the thing is under official investigation by the military and if "she wants to stay she has to follow the rules." That still doesn't technically make him, her boss. They should be equals, and most importantly he has to treat her at the very least as a capable soldier who knows what she's doing. Because she is not in any way, shape, or form under his direct command. Samus should be able to take things Adam says under consideration in her actions, due to military procedure and their supposed history, but this would require the game to make Samus act like a grown woman and Adam to treat her as such, neither of which happen.

I've said it multiple times, this game is the fever dream Samus has while she's being operated on in the intro of Metroid Fusion. It's a disgrace what they did to her character and how they retroactively ruined Adam.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nintendo should follow the Alien series and completely ignore this game just like Fox is doing with Alien3.

It's impossible to reconcile Other M's depiction of Samus with any of the other games.

I disagree. I'd rather she get caught in an explosion or have her powers sapped by dark matter aliens or whatever than not use life-saving equipment because her superior hasn't explicitly authorised its use yet.

Garlador

Nintendo should follow the Alien series and completely ignore this game just like Fox is doing with Alien3.

It's impossible to reconcile Other M's depiction of Samus with any of the other games.

I've already banished it to the same universe as Mario is Missing and the CD-i Zelda games.

Ezalc

I disagree. I'd rather she get caught in an explosion or have her powers sapped by dark matter aliens or whatever than not use life-saving equipment because her superior hasn't explicitly authorised its use yet.

It's a good idea if it had been implemented correctly. Like not allowing her to use missiles because they're afraid of some consequence it may cause on the area due to *reasons* and gradually allow her to use some of these other powers to access the needed areas. The problem with this would be that it'd be a linear game more like Fusion, and so wouldn't be open to sequence breaking like some other games in the series or to exploration. Then again I'm sure somebody could find a way around it by just introducing new power ups along with some of the old ones.

AGoodODST

I feel like we should be able to extend your rule set; everytime you're forced to search for the exact tiny spot on the screen to look at to trigger a cut scene you have to drink. Preferably something strong.

Ah, beaten!

All mentions of baby are in the intro.
Both Anthony and Adam are sarcastic in their nicknames for Samus.
Adam and Samus' relationship would be the same if they were the same or opposite genders. Adam outranks her in the organization Samus works for.
Samus is generally the most powerful godlike being on the entire ship. Adam's team couldn't even open the front door without her and everyone else is killed rather easily. The deus ex machina gun later is pretty stupid, though.

I always thought that Samus fell into line with Adam's command here because she is some bounty hunter/mercenary showing up in the middle of a Federation mission. If she didn't fall in line (let alone know them) she straight up compromises their mission and would need to be dealt with.

Anyway, OP, Other M won't kill you, but you clearly must want to die.

Regiruler

Well the biggest criticism I have is poor writing, and inconsistent exposition style is a hallmark of that. If you're literally over-emphasisng Samus's maternal attachment and awkwardly breaking down what teenage rebellion really means then leaving stuff to be figured out through implication does not come across as clever, it comes across as sloppy and inconsistent. Either patronise your audience or don't, and certainly don't criticise the audience for not being able to figure out your narrative whims when you flit about between styles.

You just gave neogaf the gun

Griss

Well, if you die from alcohol poisoning, at least that means you won't have to play the the whole of Other M.

Small mercies and all that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I still can't believe that bit with the power bomb at the end, such terrible design. Ruined the final boss for me because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. If Miyamoto could have seen what Sakamoto was doing during development he would have upended the mother of all tea tables and crushed him to death.

Garlador

I still can't believe that bit with the power bomb at the end, such terrible design. Ruined the final boss for me because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. If Miyamoto could have seen what Sakamoto was doing during development he would have upended the mother of all tea tables and crushed him to death.

That moment AFTER the game's ending, long after you had to use them on Queen Metroid, and you're back on the ship, and you're THEN told Power Bombs are authorized...

All my friends groaned so, SO hard.

It's not evil, it's stupid and pretty badly written. I just watched a cut scene that over explained the concept of teenage rebellion to the point of absurdity, reinforced through the cliched Daddy/daughter relationship of Adam and Samus. She literally said it was nice to have a father figure to rebel against because it reinforced their special bond. It's a very, very silly game, story wise.

But I mean, sorry I'm coping with my break up by drinking and having fun making fun of a game you clearly like a lot and that I'm enjoying too? Keep fighting that good fight bro.
It looks like you're the one fighting the good fight standing up for poor Samus. Nobody said the story was good but maybe you should try copping by not trying to justify your drinking with this.

It looks like you're the one fighting the good fight standing up for poor Samus. Nobody said the story was good but maybe you should try copping by not trying to justify your drinking with this.

Is this game your waifu? Or perhaps......your baby? *drinks beer*

(I am drinking because my beer is delicious. And because of the "when someone defends Other M" rule)

nick_b

I was drinking some beers last night while playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC. It was a good time. Lots of scary bits with those fucking mutant dogs and boars. Tried Call of Pripyat first but all that consisted of was loud swearing every time the game crashed.

Neiteio

This sounds reasonable. I'm starting to wonder if some of the allegations against this game's story are overblown. Haven't played it, so I can't say.

I was drinking some beers last night while playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC. It was a good time. Lots of scary bits with those fucking mutant dogs and boars. Tried Call of Pripyat first but all that consisted of was loud swearing every time the game crashed.

I like your style. Never tried STALKER but, regardless, Bish: Promote this man!

I've already banished it to the same universe as Mario is Missing and the CD-i Zelda games.
Wow, that is way too harsh.

The CD-i Zelda games weren't that bad. They don't deserve to be placed in the same universe as Other M.

This is true. It's a shitty excuse, mind, but it's just a gameplay excuse.

This does not change the fact that Samus is consistently portrayed as a damsel in need of saving by her Super Strong Male Cohorts, to the point where the flagrant, disgusting sexism peaks with Adam literally shooting Samus in the back because he needs to assert his dominance and "save her" from the scary infant Metroid. Even worse, it works. Apparently a Federation ice pistol thing can completely shut off Samus' Varia Suit and render her unconscious for an extended period of time.

Having the gameplay excuse of "Adam needs to tell you when and where you can use your things, including the completely passive defensive upgrades" just serves to underline the whole issue.

Garlador

This sounds reasonable. I'm starting to wonder if some of the allegations against this game's story are overblown. Haven't played it, so I can't say.

The game's story is still very fresh in my mind.

No. No the story is far, FAR worse than anything you have heard, and I will gladly and proudly defend that position with countless examples if anyone thinks otherwise.

"Baby" is only said about 14 times in the entire game, most of them at the start. It's entirely a meme based on the intro sequence.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroidom/transcript.php

Hammering a simple plot point that much in 5 minutes is bad writing, how can you even dispute that?

Anyway I'm two bosses in and the game is mostly letting me play. Well. Letting me talk down simple corridors until Adam tells me where to go next.

Top Bottom