• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
Aretha Franklin - Spirit In The Dark

the youtube version of spirit in the dark is from a 1971 show and it's fucking amazing. the part the owner bookmarked must be heard.

I've listened to this a lot this morning. Needless to say, I'll be looking for the CD next time I'm out.

And I'm probably in a minority, but I can't stand that Go Team album.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cosmic Bus said:
And I'm probably in a minority, but I can't stand that Go Team album.
Nah, I don't like them either.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
My pick for #9:

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

A loosely organized concept record, focused on the reminisces of a child of the Kennedy 60's, this album oozes with atmosphere. The featured songs; I.G.Y., Green Flower Street and a smoking cover of the Leiber/Stoller song Ruby, Ruby, The Nightfly has always been an album for which I cannot go more than a few weeks without another turn in my CD player or a replaying on my Ipod. It's a brilliant work from one of the co-founders of one of my all time favorite bands, Steely Dan, and it should not be missed....

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Unrest - Perfect Teeth
c527764o48h.jpg

Heather Phares of AllMusic said:
Unrest's final and best album is both jangling and lush, and covers many styles of pop music. "Angel, I'll Walk You Home" is filled with pristine vocal harmonies, while "Cath Carroll" is flashy, thrashy punk-pop. "Light Command" is wistful and triumphant. "Breather X.O.X.O." is majestically melancholy, and "West Coast Love Affair" is breezy and tongue-in-cheek. Unrest's experimental and pop leanings come together with terrific success on Perfect Teeth, making it a high point in the band's too-brief recording career.
Song Sample: Make-Out Club
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TiuooWA5M
*fans of the Smiths take note

The Wrens - The Meadowlands
g06440tjqej.jpg

Heather Phares of AllMusic said:
The Wrens' third album, The Meadowlands, is a sprawling, shifting affair, perhaps reflecting the fact that it took four years to create. It's easy to take the sweet, slightly alt-country "13 Months in 6 Minutes" at face value — the song's epic feel suggests the passing of a considerable chunk of time, and at the Wrens' pace, it's possible that it did take over a year to craft. Rather fittingly, the album itself is also long, and the way that its songs jump and shift in tone and mood suggests a series of journal entries strung together, connected loosely by an overall brokenhearted feeling. A pair of bitterly pretty songs open The Meadowlands after the interlude "The House That Guilt Built" sets the tone with its early summer evening atmosphere: on "Happy," the Wrens sing "Are you happy?/You got what you want/I'm over it now," revealing their true feelings before shimmering guitars carry the song off on another tangent; "She Sends Kisses" goes from whispery, late-night anguish to high drama. Like Secaucus, most of the album trades in a classic indie rock sound — just this side of accessible, but not overly experimental either. "This Boy Is Exhausted" and the new wavey "Faster Gun" are deceptively simple, bright, and shiny but with underlying complexities that provide a sharp contrast to the album's gentler moments, such as the shambling beauty of "Thirteen Grand" and the sweetly twangy "Ex-Girl Collection." The Meadowlands saves some of its most rock moments for the end of the album: "Per Second Second," an angular, Pixies-esque bit of punk, and the anthemic "Everyone Chooses Sides" send the album out in a blaze of glory that initially seems a little at odds with the melancholy tone of the rest of the album but, after a few listens, reveals itself as strangely appropriate. It's possible that The Meadowlands might be a "better" album if it were more focused and logical, but there's something to be said for its immersive, stream-of-consciousness approach. It's also tempting to say that hopefully it won't take the Wrens as long to make their next album as it did to make The Meadowlands, but when the results are this good, the time it took to make the album is more than justified.
Song Sample: Hopeless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDVRvOHiveI

Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle
f59138cwitd.jpg

Jack Rabid of The Big Takeover for AllMusic said:
Ah, North Carolina. Can anyone explain why it's been such a hotbed of original-sounding music? Why every year there's a new crop from the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle? Sure, it has lots of colleges, but there's gotta be more to it. Never mind the silly band name and LP title, here's a two-guitar quartet that takes a normal starting point — whirling, loud, harsh guitar pop with an unpredictable edge — and adds a bawling, full-throated vocalist named Eric Bachmann, who himself sounds like he's been singing all night and his voice is a little sore (just enough to make him sound like he really means it). Or like Ric Ocasek singing his lungs out for a change, on top of a roaring, screaming loud band. Which means if they're on the same bill with Dillon Fence, DF is the polite, ringing hook band, while these guys are gonna jump-start the keg party. Music to sing to and bounce off the walls to at the same time, with all that Southern quirky dedication and sincerity and congeniality that make us love the place so much.
Song Sample: Web in Front
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIC9VZH3Z6U
*another one the first albums I ever owned

Tad - Inhaler
c47851c42j9.jpg

Stephen Thomas Erlewine said:
Thanks to producer J. Mascis, Tad gets a more focused and driven sound on their major-label debut, Inhaler, easily their best and most consistent album to date. Fortunately, the group has lost none of the grit that marked them as the grungiest of the Seattle scene, while keeping their songs full of hooks and melodies.
Song Sample: Grease Box
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Tad+Grease+box&emb=0&aq=f# (click on the Daily Motion video)
*another album of my youth.

Popol Vul - Coeur de Verre
g01529icfkw.jpg

Thom Jurek of AllMusic said:
One of several soundtracks Florian Fricke composed for the films of Werner Herzog, Coeur de Verre (Heart from Glass, 1976) is one of the true masterpieces from Popol Vuh. Utilizing East Indian classical music as its starting point, Fricke and Daniel Fichelscher (guitars and percussion), with help from Alois Gromer on sitar and flutist Mattias Tippelskirch, have recorded one of the most blissed-out works in the band's history. Fricke's concentration on nearly painfully slowly developing themes (yes, even slower than usual) is tempered by the sheer reliance on transcendent euphoria in the processional tempos. The purposeful control of dynamics is necessary because of the deep emotional and spiritual connotations in the music. Composed to the images on the screen, the original version of "Sing, for Song Drives Away the Wolves" and the redone "Geimenschaft" appear here and close the album. Indeed they are its highlights, but that is only after a buildup that demands release after 45 minutes. Many would argue for one of the choral vocal works like Hosianna Mantra or Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN as the band's flat-out masterpiece, but in its purely instrumental incarnation this one is unquestionably Popol Vuh's watermark. There is so much beauty here, it tenderly breaks the heart over and over again, seemingly effortlessly.
Song Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-e8xVfcSng

Sleeper - The It Girl
c603238r167.jpg

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic said:
Although it lacks a standout track on the level of Smart's "Inbetweener," Sleeper's second album, The It Girl, is a stronger effort, suggesting that lead singer/songwriter Louise Wener could develop into a distinctive talent. Certainly, her melodies and hooks are uniformly better this time around, ranging from the bouncy "Sale of the Century" to the sighing melancholy of "What Do I Do Now?" Wener's lyrics continue to be underdeveloped and simplisitic, but her hooks usually make that tendency easy to ignore. What would have made The It Girl an even stronger album is a clearer, more focused production. Although the sound of the album changes subtlely throughout the course of the record, the overall effect is numbingly similar. The rhythm section lacks drive and the guitars lack balls — they blend together into one dull grind. Out of all of Stephen Street's productions, this is the most undistinguished. Occasionally, the song is strong enough to compensate for the flat production, but Sleeper albums will not only improve according to the development of Louise Wener's songwriting, but also as the band finds the right producer.
Song Sample: Nice Guy Eddie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brH4dyss0pE

Chrome - Third from the Sun
l75598ff9a4.jpg

Ned Raggett of AllMusic said:
The Edge/Creed/Stench line-up still holds sway on this release, which was in fact the original band's final proper album excluding a variety of compilations and collections of unreleased material. Given how good this line-up was, the fact that they never properly toured outside two dates — one in San Francisco and the other, bizarrely, in Italy — is all the more regrettable. Continuing the blend of straight-up rock crunch and crumbling weirdness that made the Chrome name, 3rd is both just accessible and just gone enough. Opening track "Firebomb" sets the stage well — Edge sings in deep basso profundo mode, the Stench brothers keep the beat going, and Creed unleashes more incredible, strong soloing to go with his crisp rhythm work. It's another shoulda-been new wave classic that would still seem out of place amongst its fellows. From there it's another trip into the not-quite-right — "Armageddon" is especially strong, an eight-minute slow burn towards doom overly appropriate downbeat rhythms. Creed once again shines with his heavily-treated fretwork; when towards the end he tracks two separate solos playing off each other, things really go to town. Another spooky highlight of his work is "Off the Line," where more upfront death dirges are alternated with buried, creepy effects in the background. Creed gets in some vocal fun as well — at least, assuming it is him given the constant production treatments — on "Heart Beat," his distorted words sneaking around the crisp beat and wheezing keyboards as well as the usual addition of feedback crunch. The title track was suitably freaked out and heavy enough for Prong to cover it years later on its Beg to Differ album. Though Hendrix's "Third Stone From the Sun" may seem an obvious source of inspiration, the distorted vocals and steady beats come much more from Chrome's collective brain.
Song Sample: Firebomb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFP5zwwu3Nc

Gallon Drunk - You, the Night, and the Music
d81695udmiu.jpg

Ned Ragget of AllMusic said:
Having already gathered a solid reputation for their early string of crazed psychotic lounge-garage singles, Gallon Drunk made the plunge into full-album territory excellently with the similarly freaked-out You, the Night...and the Music. Beginning with the appropriately titled instrumental "Rev Up — TPA," starting with a car doing just that, the four-piece dedicates itself to a mythic zone of Americana gone horrifically wrong, but never forgetting how to swing hips while doing so. The subject matter fits the mood — thus "Just One More," one of the better drinking songs out there, for all that it sounds like a dipsomaniac's purgatory, or "Night Tide" with its rumbling, echoing rave-up meets film noir feel. There's even a fine re-recording of the band's self-titled song that sounds like it could kill anything looking at it funny, even slightly. For all his protestations at the time, it's pretty clear that James Johnston listened to his Birthday Party albums pretty heavily when coming up with his vocal style, while the rest of the band shows similarly disposed insanity. Still, there are plenty of other elements in the brew — Suicide's psychotic Elvis, the Cramps' trashabilly sensibility, the Fall's palpable sense of edgy threat, even Einsturzende Neubaten's sheer chaos. The end result is familiar without being exclusively derivative, a fine place for a young band to be. "Some Fool's Mess," released as a single, captures this perfectly, everything from mambo to feedback explosions turning into a dance party from hell, Johnston's gasped lyrics about sex and its messy consequences all the more disturbed. Throughout the album, Max Decharne's drumming is sharp and subtly inventive, balancing out pounding power with slyer touches, while Michael Delanian's general instrumental work fills out the corners all the more impressively. Joe Byfield, meanwhile, concentrates on maracas, and unlike, say, Bez's negligible contributions to Happy Mondays, adds a recognizable, key element to the total atmosphere.
Song Sample: Some Fool's Mess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igeW4_243yw
*another early album for me

The Smithereens - Especially for You
e57428bg97o.jpg

Jason Ankeny of AllMusic said:
The Smithereens' superb full-length debut Especially for You marries an unapologetically nostalgic affection for the melodic crunch of the British Invasion era with an equally unapologetic helping of postmodern melancholia. In tandem with Don Dixon's moodily atmospheric production, Pat DiNizio's lovelorn lyrics and world-weary vocals reveal the dark underbelly of his otherwise crisply infectious songs, lending standout tracks like "Strangers When We Meet," "Behind the Wall of Sleep," and the minor hit "Blood and Roses," both a unique flavor and an immediate familiarity.
Song Sample: Behind a Wall of Sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hERot7SrVYo
*first album I ever owned

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
f121688eyik.jpg

Stewart Mason of AllMusic said:
Wisely, The Madcap Laughs doesn't even try to sound like a consistent record. Half the album was recorded by Barrett's former bandmates Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour, and the other half by Harvest Records head Malcolm Jones. Surprisingly, Jones' tracks are song for song much stronger than the more-lauded Floyd entries. The opening "Terrapin" seems to go on three times as long as its five-minute length, creating a hypnotic effect through Barrett's simple, repetitive guitar figure and stream of consciousness lyrics. The much bouncier "Love You" sounds like a sunny little Carnaby Street pop song along the lines of an early Move single, complete with music hall piano, until the listener tries to parse the lyrics and realizes that they make no sense at all. The downright Kinksy"Here I Go" is in the same style, although it's both more lyrically direct and musically freaky, speeding up and slowing down seemingly at random. Like many of the "band" tracks, "Here I Go" is a Barrett solo performance with overdubs by Mike Ratledge, Hugh Hopper, and Robert Wyatt of the Soft Machine; the combination doesn't always particularly work, as the Softs' jazzy, improvisational style is hemmed in by having to follow Barrett's predetermined lead, so on several tracks, like "No Good Trying," they content themselves with simply making weird noises in the background. The solo tracks are what made the album's reputation, though, particularly the horrifying "Dark Globe," a first-person portrait of schizophrenia that's seemingly the most self-aware song this normally whimsical songwriter ever created. Honestly, however, the other solo tracks are the album's weakest tracks, with the exception of the plain gorgeous "Golden Hair," a musical setting of a James Joyce poem that's simply spellbinding. The album falls apart with the appalling "Feel." Frankly, the inclusion of false starts and studio chatter, not to mention some simply horrible off-key singing by Barrett, makes this already marginal track feel disgustingly exploitative. But for that misstep, however, The Madcap Laughs is a surprisingly effective record that holds up better than its "ooh, lookit the scary crazy person" reputation suggests.
Song Sample: Octopus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDKlL2-Zh7w

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I'm fairly certain that at least ONE of those final 10 which might be missed won't be....

;)

AlternativeUlster

tekumseh said:
I'm fairly certain that at least ONE of those final 10 which might be missed won't be....

;)

Feels like I wasn't diverse enough with that 10 list. I might make another later today for I am bored and uncreative.

Meliorism

AlternativeUlster said:
What's the consensus on for us to do the tournament? Brackets? How do we get people to vote? Should we give ourselves new team names?

I counted your second post, and I believe there are 35 people participating, including the ones that have made no picks.

After all 10th picks are made tonight (allow 24 hours from Friday 12 EST), you should probably make a topic around the lines of "music tournament" or something like that. During that 24 hour period where people are allowed to get their 10th pick in (or any of their earlier picks that they might have missed), maybe we could PM the people that haven't participated yet, and tell them that they need to get their picks in by Saturday 12 EST.

Once Saturday 12 EST has arrived, if there are any people with no picks, remove them. I would say that anyone with the majority of their picks should remain (6 out of 10 albums), and then just see how many participants are left. The ideal number would be 32 because that would allow for a nice symmetrical bracket with no byes or anything like that.

Choose some random process to set up the bracket, like writing down all the usernames on a piece of paper and pulling them 2 at a time until everyone has been matched up on the bracket. (Ex. You pull Nihilism and AlternativeUlster as the first two names..those people would be at the top of the bracket.) Continue this process until all names have been pulled.

As for the voting process, I don't really know how many people you're gonna get that are gonna actually vote.

I think, though, that you should go with a system that I was saying earlier, where you give each album on the user's list a number (you suggested 0-5, I believe), and probably just add up the numbers to get a total and whoever's total was higher would advance to the next round in the bracket. I don't know if you wanted to do a double elimination bracket or not, but I'm sure you can get that together.

I'm just trying to think of a few things. Whatever you decide to do, post the time and date you wanna begin the post-draft stuff.

Cyan

Banned
Nihilism said:
As for the voting process, I don't really know how many people you're gonna get that are gonna actually vote.

I think, though, that you should go with a system that I was saying earlier, where you give each album on the user's list a number (you suggested 0-5, I believe), and probably just add up the numbers to get a total and whoever's total was higher would advance to the next round in the bracket. I don't know if you wanted to do a double elimination bracket or not, but I'm sure you can get that together.
But then what's the point of a bracket at all? Whatever list has the highest total rating instantly wins the whole thing. Unless you're suggesting that people change their numbers in between contests? Which really doesn't make sense.

Much simpler to just vote for whichever of the two "teams" you think is better.

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:
I counted your second post, and I believe there are 35 people participating, including the ones that have made no picks.

After all 10th picks are made tonight (allow 24 hours from Friday 12 EST), you should probably make a topic around the lines of "music tournament" or something like that. During that 24 hour period where people are allowed to get their 10th pick in (or any of their earlier picks that they might have missed), maybe we could PM the people that haven't participated yet, and tell them that they need to get their picks in by Saturday 12 EST.

Once Saturday 12 EST has arrived, if there are any people with no picks, remove them. I would say that anyone with the majority of their picks should remain (6 out of 10 albums), and then just see how many participants are left. The ideal number would be 32 because that would allow for a nice symmetrical bracket with no byes or anything like that.

Choose some random process to set up the bracket, like writing down all the usernames on a piece of paper and pulling them 2 at a time until everyone has been matched up on the bracket. (Ex. You pull Nihilism and AlternativeUlster as the first two names..those people would be at the top of the bracket.) Continue this process until all names have been pulled.

I'm just trying to think of a few things. Whatever you decide to do, post the time and date you wanna begin the post-draft stuff.

I was thinking about perhaps giving 23 hours for the others to pick up their votes and then perhaps in the final hour so 11 eastern, their picks would be dropped and if people wanted to drop their 10th round for something else picked, they could. First come first serve basis like before. I am 100 percent satisified with my picks so I won't be doing that but to be fair to anyone else who might want them.

I will send some PMs to people after the start of the 10th round. I agree about people with 6 picks or more would be in. I say right now maybe not do double elimination for that would cause too much time.

I am thinking the only problem with the point system like that would be is A) would other people than in the draft go through 320 albums and give them a numerical score and B) wouldn't we technically be able to figure out who would ultimately win the entire draft by what people vote for hence not even needing a bracket? I suppose we could do that and then after one week, we could add up everyone's scores up to find out the winner.

If we did album vs. album, people could add up points for every album. Like this person prefers 6 albums from this guy and the other would get 4 points and add them up like that.

More than likely, I think just doing the A vs. B, I like B better and then adding up that would be the easiest.

EDIT: beaten by Cyan.

Meliorism

Cyan said:
But then what's the point of a bracket at all? Whatever list has the highest total rating instantly wins the whole thing. Unless you're suggesting that people change their numbers in between contests? Which really doesn't make sense.

Much simpler to just vote for whichever of the two "teams" you think is better.

I still think that if you do the this team is better than this one thing, you run into the problem of, "Oh man, I really love OK Computer, so I'm gonna vote for this team over the other."

I admit that I'm at a bit of a loss on how to really do this.

Cyan

Banned
Nihilism said:
I still think that if you do the this team is better than this one thing, you run into the problem of, "Oh man, I really love OK Computer, so I'm gonna vote for this team over the other."

I don't think it'll be a big problem. Even if people do vote based on a single, favorite album, so what?

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:

That's why I was thinking of doing it album vs. album line-up but in the end, that might just take up as much as time as ranking all these albums though. I guess we can split it up in groups of 4 matches with 8 people playing each.

Other boards just use the Team A vs. B but I would hope that people would better than "I just really love Let it Be by the Beatles so I am going to pick that list. I have no other tastes than that record." I guess will we never know unless people actually say that.

Meliorism

AlternativeUlster said:
That's why I was thinking of doing it album vs. album line-up but in the end, that might just take up as much as time as ranking all these albums though. I guess we can split it up in groups of 4 matches with 8 people playing each.

Other boards just use the Team A vs. B but I would hope that people would better than "I just really love Let it Be by the Beatles so I am going to pick that list. I have no other tastes than that record." I guess will we never know unless people actually say that.

Maybe suggest that justification needs to be provided for whatever team you like better?

Cyan

Banned
Nihilism said:
Maybe suggest that justification needs to be provided for whatever team you like better?
And then almost no one will vote. Honestly, if you're that worried about it, there's a far more straightforward solution: in the OP of the tournament thread, mention that people shouldn't vote based on a single favorite album.

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:
How about you guys just say the album you want, and then we'll see who is able to grab the album first tonight. It'll be fun.

:lol But what about people who still haven't gotten all their records and then everyone grabs them all? I have narrowed down my list to 10 records for me to get but I am leaning towards 2 at the moment. I guess 10 that I decided not to get:

Wire - Chairs Missing
The Undertones - The Undertones
Sun Ra - Atlantis
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
The Who - The Who Sells Out
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in the People
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
James Chance - Buy the Contortions
Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind
Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons

Meliorism

Cyan said:
And then almost no one will vote. Honestly, if you're that worried about it, there's a far more straightforward solution: in the OP of the tournament thread, mention that people shouldn't vote based on a single favorite album.

How many people are you expecting to vote right now? AU's original topic suggesting a music draft was dismissed by a fair amount of people, so I don't even know that there will be that much of a turnout. I would hope that it's different, but who knows.

I don't know. I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Meliorism

AlternativeUlster said:
:lol But what about people who still haven't gotten all their records and then everyone grabs them all? I have narrowed down my list to 10 records for me to get but I am leaning towards 2 at the moment. I guess 10 that I decided not to get:

Wire - Chairs Missing
The Undertones - The Undertones
Sun Ra - Atlantis
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
The Who - The Who Sells Out
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in the People
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
James Chance - Buy the Contortions
Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind
Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons

I guess we'll assume that they're not gonna be punk ass bitches (lol).

I thought about that BtS album but decided on Keep It Like a Secret instead. I like that BSS album quite a bit. The only Blonde Redhead album I've heard is 23, and I like it quite a bit.

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:
How many people are you expecting to vote right now? AU's original topic suggesting a music draft was dismissed by a fair amount of people, so I don't even know that there will be that much of a turnout. I would hope that it's different, but who knows.

That is true. There weren't that many people in that thread and I don't think if it wasn't for me making this thread in all caps, we maybe wouldn't have as high of a turn out. :lol

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:

I thought about that BtS album but decided on Keep It Like a Secret instead. I like that BSS album quite a bit. The only Blonde Redhead album I've heard is 23, and I like it quite a bit.

Perfect from Now On is easily my favorite Built to Spill record and could listen to it on endless repeats.

That was my first Blonde Redhead record and the first of their own real sound. Beforehand, they sounded a little bit like early Sonic Youth which everyone would taunt them with. It is a great slick record and for sure worth checking out. Misery is a Butterfly is good too even though when it came out, I gave it a C plus for a publication I used to write for but it has grown on me over the years.

Nihilism said:

hahaha i'm not dying to get the album, but it's a possibility. it's the Wrens - Meadowlands.

like alternativeulster, i have a list of about 10 albums that I'm picking from. I'll post that up later when I get home from work.

This last round should be really interesting. People are probably going to pull out their gems.

Wes

venison crêpe
AlternativeUlster said:
Are you going to be up at 5am to get in for your final pick Wes?

I've got a fair list of potentials so I doubt it.

I'm a bit worried. Throught this thread people have gone "Got a great rap or hip-hop pick" or something similiar - I know next to nothing about those genres and certainly couldn't pick a "best" album. Are our selections meant to cover the spectrum of musical genres?

AlternativeUlster

Wes said:
I've got a fair list of potentials so I doubt it.

I'm a bit worried. Throught this thread people have gone "Got a great rap or hip-hop pick" or something similiar - I know next to nothing about those genres and certainly couldn't pick a "best" album. Are our selections meant to cover the spectrum of musical genres?

Nah, people just want a personal variety.

Wes

venison crêpe
Question:

If a group/artist perform a selection of songs on a couple of albums, and then say... 20 years later makes a new album using these old songs - would these break the no compilation rules?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AlternativeUlster said:
Perfect from Now On is easily my favorite Built to Spill record and could listen to it on endless repeats.

That was my first Blonde Redhead record and the first of their own real sound. Beforehand, they sounded a little bit like early Sonic Youth which everyone would taunt them with. It is a great slick record and for sure worth checking out. Misery is a Butterfly is good too even though when it came out, I gave it a C plus for a publication I used to write for but it has grown on me over the years.
I totally agree with you about Perfect From Now On. My favorite of theirs by far... I don't even think I like their other records in comparison.

Misery Is a Butterfly is my favorite Blonde Redhead, though... I considered picking it earlier on.

swoon

Wes said:
Question:

If a group/artist perform a selection of songs on a couple of albums, and then say... 20 years later makes a new album using these old songs - would these break the no compilation rules?

brian wilson's smile was fine, so that should be also.

Cyan

Banned
Nihilism said:

Heh, well yeah, there probably won't be all that many votes. All I know is, if I had to justify every pick, I doubt I'd bother voting.

AlternativeUlster

Wes said:
Question:

Oh god, you aren't picking Queen with Paul Rodgers are you? I thought that thing was a live record anyways.

But yeah, a new recording of the old material perhaps counts. How much new original content is on there Wes though? Is it just the good ol boys getting back in the studio playing their hits?

Smile was supposed to be an original vision finally revealed and has songs that weren't on any of the Beach Boys records too.

Wes

venison crêpe
AlternativeUlster said:
There is nothing in the rules against it.

Hmmm best not.

Ok I've found one album but I think it's just the old recordings put together. Thats against the rules right? They have to be recorded especialy for that album?

teepo

the first thing i did after joining the tournament was make a gigantic list of albums that had yet to be picked that i've been adding and removing from daily so since tonight is the last pick, i'll share all the albums i don't intend to pick for the final round.

public image ltd - 2nd edition
a tribe called quest - the low end theory
de la soul - 3 feet rising
stooges - funhouse
flipper - generic
my bloody valentine - you made realise
silver apples - silver apples
fennesz - endless summer
portishead - third
built to spill - Perfect From Now On
r.e.m. - murmur
galaxie 500 - on fire
wire - pink flag
wire - chairs missing
cat power - you are free
minor threat - minor threat
nirvana - in uetro
public enemy
god speed - lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven
the fall - the nation's saving grace
prince - purple rain
gang of four - entertainment
husker du - zen arcade
nick drake - pink moon
serge gainsbourg - histoire de melody nelson
vangelis - bladeruner
blonde redhead - melody of certain demaged lemons

*i haven't updated the list in a day or so, so some of the albums might already be gone.

AlternativeUlster

Wes said:
Hmmm best not.

Ok I've found one album but I think it's just the old recordings put together. Thats against the rules right? They have to be recorded especialy for that album?

Yeah, that would be just a greatest hits thing. Not a proper album.

swoon

as with all things record related that does pose the question - how does will oldham fit into this?

he recorded a bunch of covers of his old "Bands" songs as his new moniker, with a different lineup with bonine prince billy plays palace's greatest hits.

outside of that i can't think of many non-live/rockband related examples.

i guess randy newman played on nilsson's nilsson sings newman album.

AlternativeUlster

swoon said:
as with all things record related that does pose the question - how does will oldham fit into this?

he recorded a bunch of covers of his old "Bands" songs as his new moniker, with a different lineup with bonine prince billy plays palace's greatest hits.

outside of that i can't think of many non-live/rockband related examples.

i guess randy newman played on nilsson's nilsson sings newman album.

Yeah, you could pick that record since it is basically a new update of his songs to be presented. The only other example I can think of is Frank Black rerecording Pixies songs for that double disc CD he put a couple of years back which was pretty awful but the first disc were filled with never before released demos which features the best version of Break my Body in my opinion. Other than that, I am drawing a blank too.

Eric WK

teepo said:
the first thing i did after joining the tournament was make a gigantic list of albums that had yet to be picked that i've been adding and removing from daily so since tonight is the last pick, i'll share all the albums i don't intend to pick for the final round.

Heh. I've been thinking about a lot of those. I grabbed Pink Flag last night and one of those in particular I'm considering for tonight. The only thing stopping me is an incredibly influential and important album that somehow hasn't been taken.

AlternativeUlster

Albums picked in Alphabetical order:
AC/DC - Back in Black
Air - Moon Safari
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Amon Düül II - Yeti
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Aphex Twin - ...I care because you do
Aphex Twin - Richrd D. James Album
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark
The Avanlances - Since I Left You
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Bad Religion - No Control
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Beatles - Revolver
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
The Beatles - White Album
Beck - Odelay
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Big Black - Songs about Fucking
Billy Bragg - Talking with the Taxman About Poetry
The Birthday Party - Prayers on Fire
Bjork - Post
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Boston - Boston
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain
Brian Wilson - Smile
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
Buffalo Tom - Let Me Come Over
Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret
Can - Tago Mago
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and Sinner Lady
Cibo Matto - Viva! La Woman
The Clash - London Calling
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Coil - The Apes Naples
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - Deju Vu
Daft Punk - Discovery
Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia
Daniel Johnston - Hi, How Are You?
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
David Bowie - Low
David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
David Bowie - Station to Station
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Derek and the Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
Dio - Holy Diver
Dismemberment Plan - Emergency and I
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Doors - The Doors
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Elliott Smith - XO
Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place
Faces - A Nod is as Good as a Wink... to a Blind Horse
Feist - The Reminder
Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
Fionna Apple - When the Pawn..
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
Flying Burrito Brothers - Bilded Palace of Sin
Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Over-Nite Sensation
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Game Theory - Lolita Nation
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Gas - Pop
Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F♯A♯∞
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven
Gorrilaz - Demon Days
Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
GZA - Liquid Swords
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
Jayhwaks - Rainy Day Music
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jim Carroll Band - Catholic Boy
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
John Cale - Paris 1919
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice)
John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
Joy Division - Closer
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengence
Justice - Cross
Jesus Lizard - Goat
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
The Knife - Silent Shout
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can
Leonard Cohen - Death of a Ladie's Man
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin IV
Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalam Crossroads
Love - Forever Changes
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts
Madvillian - Madvilliany
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Manic Street Preachers - the Holy Bible
Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Massive Attack - Mezanine
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - The Black Album
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Minor Threat - Out of Step
Minutement - Double Nickels on the Dime
Moby - Play
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Muse - Black Holes and Reveations
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Naked City - Radio
Nas - Illmatic
The National - Alligator
NEU! - NEU!
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
New Order - Low Life
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues
Nirvania - Nevermind
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
N.W.A - Straight out of Compton
Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory)?
Of Montreal - Cherry Peel
Outkast - Aquemini
Palace Music - Lost Blue and Other Songs
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Paul Simon - Graceland
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pixies - Come On Pilgrim
Pixies - Doolittle
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash
Portishead - Dummy
Postal Service - Give Up
Prince - Sign 'O' The Times
Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Public Enemy - Nation of Millions
Pulp - Different Class
Queen - A Day at the Races
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Queen - Queen II
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Rage Againts the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Rainbow - Rising
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
R.e.m. - Reckoning
Replacements - Let It Be
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Röyksopp - The Understanding
Rush - Moving Pictures
Sagittarius - Present Tense
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks...
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Slint - Spiderland
The Smiths - Queen is Dead
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Soundgarden - Superunknown
The Specials - The Specials
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentleman We Are Floating in Space
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Stooges - Raw Power
Strokes - Is This it?
Suicide - Suicide
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Television - Marquee Moon
This Heat - Deceit
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth
Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?
United States of America - The United States of America
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
U2 - War
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground
Velvet Underground with Nico - Velvet Underground with Nico
Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Weezer - Blue Album
Weezer - Pinkerton
Whiskeytown - Faithless Street
The Who - Tommy
The Who - Who's Next
Wilco - Being There
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wire - Pink Flag
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Wu-Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom