• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Is that a music album? Like is it like George Carlin with a banjo? It is supposed to be a music draft.
Oh, all right. Actually, that reminds me. I guess I can combine comedy and music, so...

Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Picks I was considering.
Nico Chelsea Girls
X Los Angeles
The Smiths Meat is Murder
David Bowie Space Oddity
The Stooges Fun House

Picks I should've taken but people beat me to 'em.
Joy Division Closer
John Cale Paris 1919
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
Television - Marquee Moon
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Elliott Smith - XO
David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

AlternativeUlster said:
Nope, although that now makes three obscure bands that have used the name. The third one is a shitty metal band.

They were a regional band that's been broken up for a good 10-15 years and never signed a major deal, so I doubt anyone will care about this total copyright violation: http://rapidshare.com/files/238401821/House_Divided_-_The_Chemical_Memory.zip.html Pardon the crappy production, I digitized it from a well-loved cassette.

Cyan said:
Hmm... ok, I'm going to try a different genre here.

George Carlin - Class Clown
Heh, I had thought about Dennis Miller - The Off-White Album.

Mason

8. Del The Funky Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
10. Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

BioHazard

Saturdays = Youth - M83

saturdays-youth.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nearly went with some of these:

Devo - Freedom of Choice or Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Discordance Axis - The Inalienable Dreamless
Earth - Earth 2
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Joanna Newsom - Ys
The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2 or It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water
Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration
The Nation of Ulysses - 13-Point Program to Destroy America
Three Mile Pilot - Another Desert, Another Sea

Kind of bummed that the draft is over. Now what am I going to look forward to at midnight every night?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Mason said:
Woot.com?
Haha, well, preferably something that won't cost me anything as I'm kind of broke at the moment! It's bad enough that this thread has made me want to go out and buy some of these records.

Wes

venison crêpe
Ok I'll go with:

#10 Sigur Rós - Takk...

Other possibilities I had:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Doves - Last Broadcast

Wes

venison crêpe
I Push Fat Kids said:
FUCK YEAH

I'm seriously down for this...

Or we just keep on going until:

a) we run out of albums
b) neogaf closes down
c) 2012

I say keep it as 10. We can always play again and make sure none of these picked are picked again (unless new people join?)

Mason

I say keep it at 10. Then we can do another music one, or a movie one, or whatever. But 20 picks for each person will just make the entire thing ridiculously huge and unwieldy.

Kevtones

Wes said:
Or we just keep on going until:

a) we run out of albums
b) neogaf closes down
c) 2012

I say keep it as 10. We can always play again and make sure none of these picked are picked again (unless new people join?)

I have a feeling a tournament will be out of hand anyway, picking will end up being the best part, possibly...

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I Push Fat Kids said:
I have a feeling a tournament will be out of hand anyway, picking will end up being the best part, possibly...

We could make the Draft be the tournament where it basically becomes a last man standing trying to grab as many good albums as possible. God, that would get ridiculous and near never ending. :lol

Kevtones

AlternativeUlster said:
We could make the Draft be the tournament where it basically becomes a last man standing trying to grab as many good albums as possible. God, that would get ridiculous and near never ending. :lol

Epic - I would be down for ANYTHING

Wes

venison crêpe
AlternativeUlster said:

Well "good" would be wholy subjective and would likely end up in a fair bit of bickering.

swoon

yea it's going to be weird when this is over, i like having structure to my posting habits.

also i still don't understand what we were drafting for. who is my partner?

AlternativeUlster

swoon said:
yea it's going to be weird when this is over, i like having structure to my posting habits.

also i still don't understand what we were drafting for. who is my partner?

Well, basically after midnight tonight, we are going to have a tournament bracket like the NCAA where you will be a team and say in the first round you go against I Push Fat Kids. People vote for their favorite list and after a 24 hour period, whoever gets the most votes goes to the next round.

Mason

I like the idea where we give each album in the person's list a number and add them up to see who wins. That way we can kind of see which albums were big influences and people don't just pick that person's draft list because of one album they like or something.

20 albums? idk... I am going to the depths of obscurity if this happen... I just don't know of 20 amazing well known albums (that are also in my top 20/30)... also a lot of stuff I would pick is now gone too...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
yea, but not everyone (anyone?) has heard all these albums.

I think that's partially why a lot of people were picking such big, well-known albums: so they're more likely to get votes. I personally think that makes things much less interesting, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Cosmic Bus said:
I think that's partially why a lot of people were picking such big, well-known albums: so they're more likely to get votes. I personally think that makes things much less interesting, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I was trying to do a balance of both, I have an already top 20 list that was made before this thread and 90% of the albums I selected were from that list, but I definitely selected the most popular of the bunch for the sake of making the game more interesting. It's no fun for anyone if everyone has a bunch of obscure releases, that the majority of people have never heard of.

My Top 20 = http://analoguerevolver.blogspot.com/2009/03/music-recommendation-top-10-albums-of.html

Cyan

Banned
200px-FlightoftheConchordsAlbum.jpg

Time to pimp my last pick, Flight of the Conchords' self-titled debut. These guys are New Zealand's fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo accapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo (well, formerly... now they're the fifth).

Here's a few samples:

The Humans Are Dead
Bowie

Meliorism

I didn't see anything. I kinda think they're just wanting it to die off. Now that the draft is over, I guess no one really seems to want a tournament type thing.

It's not really a big deal either way, I guess.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
DieNgamers said:
Hi. Are there any new updates or a new thread? If so, I missed it :O
I guess AU still has to decided on the tournament rules. He's also probably waiting for some people, who haven't yet, to pick their final picks.

Nihilism said:
I didn't see anything. I kinda think they're just wanting it to die off. Now that the draft is over, I guess no one really seems to want a tournament type thing.

It's not really a big deal either way, I guess.
Yeah, picking the albums was the best part. Since I have nothing to do, I'm still looking forward to tournament, even though I know I won't win.

Boring vacation FTL.

Cyan said:
I enjoyed this more than I though I would.

Meliorism

Vox-Pop said:
I guess AU still has to decided on the tournament rules. He's also probably waiting for some people, who haven't yet, to pick their final picks.

Yeah, picking the albums was the best part. Since I have nothing to do, I'm still looking forward to tournament, even though I know I won't win.

Boring vacation FTL.

I don't know, man. If it's gonna feel like some stupid, excruciating process for a tournament thread, I'm down for doing a movie draft. I'm always looking for movies to check out.

AlternativeUlster

Sorry about not getting the tournament up last night. My computer crashed while making the thread since I was typing it with a blanket underneath. Yeah, not too smart. The first round I am thinking will last a week and will have all 32 teams going against each other. I will try and have it up sometime this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom