• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The mysteries of the long delay of Puchi Puchi Virus (DS).

theclaw135

Banned
In what may be one of the worst, and least understood, instances of apparent NISA incompetence ever... they announced the DS puzzle game Puchi Puchi Virus in November 2007 with an estimated February 2008 release date, only to push it back all the way to May 2009.
https://www.wired.com/2007/11/nis-america-exp/
https://www.siliconera.com/2009/03/03/puchi-puchi-virus-recovers-from-delay-bug-in-may/

In the meantime, the ROM was found and dumped in March 2008. More than a year early.
https://www.gbarl.it/UP/UP_old/nfo/nds/1901-2000/2190..png

Is anything known about how it leaked, or what the hold up was?

I'm more salty about the DS port of Rhapsody (around the same period, if memory serves)

Context: The original was two games, on PS1 then PS2. Only the first was localized (Atlus USA). The DS port is the first game with post-game content that includes ported chapters from the PS2 game, then brand new chapters exclusive to the DS version. Needless to say, those were the main selling point behind this port.
NISA used promotional screenshots of those extra chapters translated, then...
The final game, after a few delays, had them completely disabled.

Someone datamined the game and found parts of the menus and story conversations translated, but the rest was untouched, and in true NISA fashion, full of crash bugs.

NISA hate thread? :messenger_smiling_horns:

Good puzzle game, in either case, but a good puzzle game among a vast library of good puzzle games. I really liked the art style and cutesy sound-effects. I'm not surprised it was delayed and forgotten.

DiscoJer

I always wonder about that Far East of Eden game that Hudson announced for the PSP. From the screenshots it looked done...

theclaw135

Banned
I'm more salty about the DS port of Rhapsody (around the same period, if memory serves)

Context: The original was two games, on PS1 then PS2. Only the first was localized (Atlus USA). The DS port is the first game with post-game content that includes ported chapters from the PS2 game, then brand new chapters exclusive to the DS version. Needless to say, those were the main selling point behind this port.
NISA used promotional screenshots of those extra chapters translated, then...
The final game, after a few delays, had them completely disabled.

Someone datamined the game and found parts of the menus and story conversations translated, but the rest was untouched, and in true NISA fashion, full of crash bugs.

NISA hate thread? :messenger_smiling_horns:

Most of their mistakes are sufficiently documented, 'hate' or not.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish someone made a list of all the NISA blunders.

I wish someone made a list of all the NISA blunders.
July 2018 update. It's not even complete.

AR TONELICO ELEMIA, MANA KHEMIA 1 and 2

o Bad string handling leading to complete crash against specific bosses (AT1, MK2) / major part of the extra dungeon enemies (MK1). MK2's crash is rather easy to avoid, though.

o MK1: Unnecessary and flagrant name changes to a variety of playable main characters.

o MK2: Lack of testing in the extra chapter leads to crashes when doing certain tasks if Ulrika is the main character instead of Raze: Student handbook and Job post usage crash the game.

AR TONELICO METAFALICA

o Typographical errors, missing words, and shaky sentences, mistranslation of important game terms, inconsistently-adapted names

o Localization introduced or exposed game-crashing bugs in the game.

o NISA marketed the game based on Sex Appeal, when, in fact, AT2 was intended to be a more serious and thoughtful game, with less emphasis on cheap hooks and a greater focus on the plot, than Ar Tonelico Elemia

o In order to fit English voice acting onto the disc, they cut approximately half of the Japanese voice-acted scenes, leaving many important plot points lacking appropriate impact.

AR TONELICO QOGA

o Typographical errors and untranslated text in various spots on top of their "translation" not even being remotely close to the Japanese track and English voice track, what little there is, not even matching the text in some areas.

o Binary Field (DLC episodes) scam where they put out each chapter separate then a few days after a bundle pack which didn't work if you had downloaded the first episode.

HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA

o Neptunia 1 would crash on the dungeon leaderboard screen if it couldn't upload your score while you were on PSN for whatever reason.

HYPERDMENSION NEPTUNIA mk2

o Very questionable localization quality. (bad translation, unfunny jokes/lines added to several dialogues which changed the characters personalities at times)

HYPERSIMENSION NEPTUNIA V

o Very questionable localization quality. (bad translation, unfunny jokes/lines added to several dialogues which changed the characters personalities at times)

o Didn't tell the gamers idol events DLC would not be included, then, when brought to attention, denied any and all knowledge of such DLC.

o Freezing issues with some DLC.

WITCH AND 100 KNIGHT

o Game-crashing bugs (rumor about a GameFAQs user fixing everything and mailed such solution/file to NISA. Still no official support a year from release, nor token mention of any such thing.)

o PS3 overheating (Confirmed to be replicable by person who originally made the post) http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14425&start=90

ATELIER ARLAND TRILOGY

o Name changing: Esty Erhart => Esty Dee (S T D = Sexual Transmission Disease, get it? XD)

RHAPSODY DS

o http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/13/bonus-content-cut-from-rhapsody-ds/

o http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/14/falling-flat-encountering-rhapsodys-ds-glitches/

DISGAEA 2 PSP

o They fucked up the dlc characters so they don't have voices.

o They decided not to release all the dlc characters, but released the final character, Majin Hinako.

o Majin Hinako unlocks item book collection slots because it assumes you have the other DLC characters.

o Downloading Majin Hinako means you can't complete the collection book, effectively killing anyone going for 100%

DISGAEA D2

o Game-crashing SKILLS (several Fire-based)

o OPENING stops abruptly

o Fuuka and Desco were free DLC for the first month after release in Japan and Asia. Day 1 paid DLC in USA and EU.

o CPU melting bug at release

DISGAEA 3

o DLC scam. Purchasing content one by one locks certain content needed for 100% completion. Purchasing as a bundle unlocks it all, for the low price of $50. NISA released vouchers for a limited time as apology.

MUGEN SOULS

o Scrubbing minigame removed over 120 CGs removed. Basically censored extremely lazily. Excuses given over the years were many and varied, but some of them were "We wanted to appeal as much as possible to a wider demographic." "The vocal minority can't put a dent in our wallet." "We find this content creepy." "Unofficial ESRB rep indicated this title has potential for AO (it didn't)" "We found this content distasteful, so you don't want it anyways."

o Created new bugs and glitches not seen in the JP release

o Massive lag during regular battles

o Can fail an area load after a battle forcing you to restart from your previous save

o Released an LE which had bath sponges and a towel even though the bath minigame was removed which was a massive slap to the face which the LE sold poorly(still have copies of the LE on their site).

MUGEN SOULS Z

o Scrubbing minigame removed, over 120 CGs removed. See entry for Mugen Souls

o Elka introduced as the Hero of Water World when she's the hero of the Fire World

o Slumbering Boss battles cause freezes in Mugen Field (Note: this has been patched as of July 2014)

NATURAL DOCTRINE

o Ending is not subbed when using Japanese. When someone asked about this, they were told to use the English dub instead

PSTV

o Won't patch their Vita games for PSTV support, usually defers to Sony despite it being on them (and all NIS games being patched to be PSTV compatible) http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15423#p836008

CRIMINAL GIRLS INVITATION

o Censored the Punishment Time minigame which has pink fog for every level of each minigame(Never goes away). JP version the pink fog goes away on later levels.

o Removed the voices for the punishment minigames.

o Shoddy translation. Changed "Punishment Time" to "Motivation Time" for the punishment minigame and made the dialogue less lewd.

o Unlocks are messed up, as one person put it:

"In a similar instance I found with Black Rock Shooter, completing one of the endings will unlock and lock other stuff on the gallery that you're normally supposed to unlock with the other girls. Deleting System Data won't do a thing.

I think it was intentional as the loli's content isn't viewable."

DANGANRONPA: TRIGGER HAPPY HAVOC

o Various text wrapping, spelling and grammatical issues

o Bug that crashes the game when loading a School Mode save

o Made a scene where a character reveals his true gender to the protag less ambiguous and essentially censored it by changing a line stating that the character put the protag's hand on "her body" to "her chest"

DANGANRONPA 2: GOODBYE DESPAIR

o Text wrapping issues

o "jump hitboxes not working (I'll land on top of somebody directly, but I'll just go through them and sometimes take damage)"

o Various images appear in Japanese when the voices are set to Japanese

o Serious lag issues in Jabberwock Park in the overworld, not existent in the PSP version

OPERATION ABYSS: NEW TOKYO LEGACY

o English dub only, no Japanese audio track. When asked why, NISA said it was because there wasn't enough space on the vita cartridge for it despite the entire game being less than 1.5 GB (vita cartridges can hold up to 4 GB)

FAIRY FENCER F

o Changed character names in the English localization (ex. Alyn to Eryn) due to the translator not liking the way they sounded.

DISGAEA 3 (VITA)

o Game was "patched" to work on PSTV, After a while it'll say something about location not found and will continue spamming every minute or so.

DISGAEA 4 (VITA)

o Bacial with the youngster voice has an English line that will crash the game. friend or foe can crash your game. This can be avoided by playing with Japanese voices.

DISGAEA PC

o Multiple performance issues at launch

YS VIII

o The translation was so bad that the president issued a public apology and promised a re-translation, which was delivered a few months after release, but is still of questionable quality. The re-translation only affected the main story, and mostly just re-edited lines, including ones that were already fine.

o The PC release was delayed one day before its planned release of September 12th 2017, and continued to be delayed until April 2018, as development went between NISA and an unspecified contracted company to improve the PC port. Despite this it still launched in a completely broken and unplayable state, including frame rate issues, buggy lighting and shadows, distorted audio, Vsync not working, messed up controller input, resolution settings not working properly, regular crashes, and much more. While patches since release have improved it somewhat, as of July 30th 2018, 3 and a half months after release and 10 months after the initially planned release, it's still unplayable for many people and several issues remain.

MISC
o Localizers have admitted that they do in fact add things to the script just for the sake of "flavor" http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/2...niverse-questions-part-2/#DvhRIbzo9JP9x19t.99

I always wonder about that Far East of Eden game that Hudson announced for the PSP. From the screenshots it looked done...
You mean the Xbox 360 game. It was complete, but Microsoft policies killed it. Something about a minimum print run that's absurdly high and too prohibitive for niche games to ever profit from it. It was due to be localized by Gaijinworks (former Working Designs staff, but different publishers) but it fell through.

As for the PSP game, it was considered for an English version (not by Hudson though), but the licensing situation complicated it.

vicireland said:
Fourth Apocalypse is one of my favorite RPGs. Actually, I really like the Tengai Makyo series in general. Unfortunately, with Hudson's implosion and absorption into Konami, as well as issues with RED, this license is now really complictated.

Formerly secret fact: We have a partial English version of the XBOX 360 Tengai that we were working on to have another pub release for us. That deal fell through.

You may not be missing too much however. The game would never get a decent localization, considering its highly offensive content to American sensibilities all the way throughout the game, and that Vic Ireland was already fantasizing about how to rewrite it (and "problematic content" in Idolmasters, in the same breath) before even securing the rights.

Tengai IV is the best in the series, and the best fit for my writing style, by a huge margin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom