• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Experience Inc. Community Thread: "Dungeons? Yeah we got Dungeons."

Stalk

Samurai with carnage X(I think that's the name), just need to have very high evasion.
pretty sure assassin with shadow assault can do pretty good dmg.
Divine weapon on all your dps.
Mars enraged.
a wizard party casting quad bolt with magic boost.

Oh right, so basically just good DPS output. Sorry I thought you meant it in another way, as in there are alt methods to deal with it (like blocking healing, I was wondering if I was going crazy). I went with enraged Mars and quad bolt fast cast.

dkoy

Samurai with carnage X(I think that's the name), just need to have very high evasion.
pretty sure assassin with shadow assault can do pretty good dmg.
Divine weapon on all your dps.
Mars enraged.
a wizard party casting quad bolt with magic boost.

TBH my wizard never really output that much damage compared to my samurai and assassin since I never even tried to figure out elemental weaknesses. He was pretty much there just for divine weapon and debuffs.

Oh right, so basically just good DPS output. Sorry I thought you meant it in another way, as in there are alt methods to deal with it (like blocking healing, I was wondering if I was going crazy). I went with enraged Mars and quad bolt fast cast.

I think the whole point of Ether Mirage was to be a DPS check. BTW, and this is addressed to other people too, was quad bolt fast cast actually worth it in terms of MP consumption and damage? Because, from memory since I haven't played DG in a while, I never used my mage for DPS much since he was always relegated to debuffing, item healing and even support buffing. I just didn't find his actual damage worth it.

Dorarnae

TBH my wizard never really output that much damage compared to my samurai and assassin since I never even tried to figure out elemental weaknesses. He was pretty much there just for divine weapon and debuffs.

I think the whole point of Ether Mirage was to be a DPS check. BTW, and this is addressed to other people too, was quad bolt fast cast actually worth it in terms of MP consumption and damage? Because, from memory since I haven't played DG in a while, I never used my mage for DPS much since he was always relegated to debuffing, item healing and even support buffing. I just didn't find his actual damage worth it.

my caster party on post game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4UsMjgGMfg

Shizuka

Shizuka what happened to your avatar ._.

It got Zero Escape 3-ified. One of the characters wears that mask and I jumped into the gig with people putting those masks on their avatars.

Also, I beat Demon Gaze with only physical attackers as well, since you can only control five characters and I went with an Archer instead.

dkoy

It got Zero Escape 3-ified. One of the characters wears that mask and I jumped into the gig with people putting those masks on their avatars.

Also, I beat Demon Gaze with only physical attackers as well, since you can only control five characters and I went with an Archer instead.

Ah I see.
Offensive magic is overrated anyway
but if I can get 1k damage output like dorarnae then I might try it again in SoSC

Shizuka

Ah I see.
but if I can get 1k damage output like dorarnae then I might try it again in SoSC

Well, you can have six characters in SoSC, just like Operation Abyss. I kept my Demon Gaze party and added a Wizard for both games.

Dorarnae

Ah I see.

it was some kind of challenge I was doing. under water area were a pain hehe.
I haven't played much with magic in SOSC, I do use them sometime but it's mostly for buff/debuff.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I haven't played much with magic in SOSC, I do use them sometime but it's mostly for buff/debuff.

For magic in general with SOSC just mainly the all party ones were the most useful for knocking down rows. I dont remember how you had to have your stats set up for the final spells to be the most efficient though

dkoy

Well, you can have six characters in SoSC, just like Operation Abyss. I kept my Demon Gaze party and added a Wizard for both games.

Heh I dumped the mage for the academic and added an archer instead. Used items for all the floats and map searching spells.

How did you even get by the underwater parts? Spam the attack ability? I forgot what it was called but that shit did so little damage, let alone taking down the actual water level demon.

For magic in general with SOSC just mainly the all party ones were the most useful for knocking down rows. I dont remember how you had to have your stats set up for the final spells to be the most efficient though

I'll play around with it in SoSC next month since it seems you have to have party members on the backburner anyways.

Parakeetman

I'll play around with it in SoSC next month since it seems you have to have party members on the backburner anyways.

You will have to get a Wizard to lv 30 anyways to get the tribolt and forgot what the other high lv non-element spell was. So will be a long road there lol.

Dorarnae

How did you even get by the underwater parts? Spam the attack ability? I forgot what it was called but that shit did so little damage, let alone taking down the actual water level demon.

yeah and relied on Mars hehe. well the game can actually be done solo. I haven't tried but I've seen video of people beating the final boss solo.

Parakeetman

Ray Gigant will be coming out as digital download title in May 2016 in the West it seems. Wonder why they did not go announcing it earlier in order to get some proper marketing ramped up. As trying to do it now is going to be a bit suicidal considering you are going to get fucking hammered with all the Dark Souls 3 articles and news posts for the rest of the month.

Ray Gigant will launch for PS Vita in North America and Europe via the PlayStation Store in May 2016, published Acttil announced.

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/ray-gigant-launches-may-west-first-english-screenshots

Did anyone else who preordered the limited edition of Stranger of Sword City get charged for it already? Was pretty surprised to see it it hit my bank account so early before release, usually NIS doesn't change until a bit less than a week from launch.

Did the date get stealth moved up or something?

Parakeetman

Did anyone else who preordered the limited edition of Stranger of Sword City get charged for it already? Was pretty surprised to see it it hit my bank account so early before release, usually NIS doesn't change until a bit less than a week from launch.

Apparently seems like other folks did. Release date still looks the same.

Shizuka

They charge before release date because they ship before release date.

They charge before release date because they ship before release date.

Yeah I know that, not my first order from them by a long shot rofl. I was just surprised because it was almost two full weeks before the release date, when it's usually less than a week.

That's why I was curious if the date got moved up and I didn't know. Not that it would matter, I doubt I'll have finished dark souls 3 and the rest of fire emblem before it launched regardless :B

Parakeetman

Yeah I know that, not my first order from them by a long shot rofl. I was just surprised because it was almost two full weeks before the release date, when it's usually less than a week.

That's why I was curious if the date got moved up and I didn't know. Not that it would matter, I doubt I'll have finished dark souls 3 and the rest of fire emblem before it launched regardless :B

Yeah the dates dont seem to have been changed just looked at the OHP and still has 26 for NA and 29 for EU

http://nisamerica.com/games/stranger-sword-city/

Parakeetman

Nice. Hope it does well there.

Still waiting on my pre-order charge from VGP for the LE. Should be within the next week or so. I just hope it doesn't get lost in Belgian post.

Im still curious to know which version it is. Since there never was a PC version of the updated Xbox One / Vita version we have in the West. Which has me wondering if its just the PC version which was the same as the X360 version instead. Which is why in the press release that was out yesterday? they only mentioned the custom artwork use and not really anything else.

Regardless of that even if the new artwork isnt in there the game still should be the same for the most part if NISA is using their localized script for it.

dkoy

Im still curious to know which version it is. Since there never was a PC version of the updated Xbox One / Vita version we have in the West. Which has me wondering if its just the PC version which was the same as the X360 version instead. Which is why in the press release that was out yesterday? they only mentioned the custom artwork use and not really anything else.

Regardless of that even if the new artwork isnt in there the game still should be the same for the most part if NISA is using their localized script for it.

I'd imagine it would have both art styles so the steam version would depend on whether it's easier to port the XBO/Vita version or insert the new art style into the pre-existing PC version.

Parakeetman

I'd imagine it would have both art styles so the steam version would depend on whether it's easier to port the XBO/Vita version or insert the new art style into the pre-existing PC version.

Would be the XBO version if anything since the Vita one has that ranking mode in it and doubt they would want to mess with trying to disable it thats why. Guess we will find out soon enough seeing how June isnt too far away.

Parakeetman

How is it compared to DG and OA?

Game is totally different as outside of the dungeon navigation its not a typical drpg. Super easy for the most part.

Check out the import OT as good info in there by those of us who platted the title.

With this title will most have to think of it in a different category from DG or OA

-----

Heres general overall impressions from clearing the game / plat trophy.

This title overall was ok, am glad I bought it and went through the title, though its not exactly something Id recommend to everyone.

The main draw of this title would be the characters and story, also it has fantastic music. The dungeon designs are fairly interesting with some of the layouts.

Combat is a bit odd. Generally early on with the 3 different scenarios its fairly easy with little to no thought put into the fights mainly due to being able to use just a single character to generally blast your way through the enemy types. That changes up near the end of the game though, which is explained below. The early Gigants and boss enemies in the dungeons are not much trouble either as long as your equipment is leveled up. Your characters should be the proper level anyways, due to picking up all the treasure points, which sometimes contain the yellow gems that you use to lv up your characters.

*Spoilers about final dungeon info with gameplay
The final dungeon area is a bit different as it mixes up things, so you will be switching around a bit with the skills you use. Even more so if you did not go over-leveling your equipment. Its where the combat gets a little more interesting due to that. But its not much harder, thought its not as if you can just constantly use the same commands / auto-battle due to your TP being used up. Also the various enemy resistances prevents just a single character dominating things unlike the 3 character scenarios. Even with the use of parasite mode you still need to be cautions not to drop your life so far down in the first round that you can take damage and die in the second if the enemy goes first. Those special skills most def become your main way of attacking in general over the standard attacks also.

Not sure in regards to my game time as Ive left it idle a lot.

Getting the Platinum Trophy for this game is fairly easy as its mostly advancing the story, other stuff is related to filling out the skill trees or getting a specific item in the item tree to X level. But nothing that would cause all that much stress to do.

Good Points
  • Characters & artwork
  • Story is decent
  • Excellent music
  • Interesting dungeon designs with layout.
  • TP system for combat is interesting

Bad Points
  • Combat can be considered easy for 70% of the game. The other 30% is discussed in the spoiler section above.
  • 3 command system (+3 when you unlock the 2nd command bar) feels a little limiting even with 6 commands, though was an interesting attempt to do something different.
  • Harvesting resources feels like a chore.
  • Resource drop rates is poor with certain resources.
  • System to gain new equipment feels flawed, too many useless items.
  • Weight system is mostly meaningless due to more actions performed = more weight loss. Which keeps certain characters at either + or - weight due to being under / overused.

Overall though, while I enjoyed my time with the title, its not something that was to my preference in terms of game design. As for me personally it seemed to sit in an odd middle where as its not a game for the core DRPG fan because of the simplified mechanics and how gaining new equipment works, nor is it designed to be something for the casual fan either, due to the grinding for resources. The SBM system also along with the designs of the 3 transformed characters just does not seem to fit with the game world either part of that has to do with them using 3 different artists. At least the SBM system can give players a way to end boss fights a lot faster.

With my personal feelings on the title aside though, if one is a fan of Experience Inc and want to check out their latest title where they had tried various new things in terms of gameplay design feel free to check it out if it makes it to the West.

Just completed the game as well. Overall I liked it quite a bit by the end, after getting a little bored during the middle sections. The game is definitely very easy, and I made it even easier on myself by grinding what turned out to be way too many resources since I wanted to make sure I'd have enough for all the trophies.

Standouts to me are the character and enemy animation, dungeon art design, story/characters, and maybe most of all, the music. The soundtrack starts out amazing, and it kind of tones it down from there for the second and third stories but remains one of Experience's best throughout the game.

The things that I think didn't quite work out are the AP system and the skill trees. Both are really good ideas, and were still a nice change of pace from their other games, but the AP system is too restricted by only have 6 available actions (usually a couple of which are reserved for waiting or snacking) and the skill trees are largely superficial. I hardly ever used most of the weapons/shields/accessories because a handful of them are obviously the better choices. Similarly with a lot of the skills, many of them didn't get much or any use because they weren't very AP-efficient.

I was feeling kind of down on the game during the 2nd and 3rd chapters, but by spending that time gathering enough resources that I didn't have to worry about them for the rest of the game, I ended up having a really good time with the last few dungeons. They make good use (maybe too much use in some cases) of the typical warp, slide, and switch tiles. Still pretty easy, but definitely a step up from the rest of the game.

Definitely would like to see the animation stuff work its way into Experience's other upcoming games, and even the AP/skill systems if they can make them more interesting to use.

With all of that in mind, if you do not mind how simple the gameplay has become and odd design choices with the whole no exp system which leads to grinding the same enemy spots / maps over and over again to get enough to level up what you need. Then you might have a good time. Over here in Japan game did poorly as the core fans didnt like it and it was too much of a pain in the ass for casuals. The characters in the story do at least carry things through, kinda wished that they put a bit more focus on it though. But it is one of their more narrative intensive games.

Id imagine this will get mixed reactions in the West.

Prelude.

So what's the deal with the new SoSC? There's conflicting information regarding it being upgradable from the original or standalone.

Parakeetman

So what's the deal with the new SoSC? There's conflicting information regarding it being upgradable from the original or standalone.

The information that I have is the correct one. Which is Physical is unable to be upgraded due to technical reasons. Sony + Exp Inc tried to resolve this but it was impossible apparently, which is why they apologized to the users. New physical costs 3,800 JPY.

Digital versions will be able to upgrade for the cost of 1,800 JPY. While they didnt explain how the digital version would work, basically what I imagine is that the whole data files are replaced server side and those are redownloaded which replaces the old game with the new one. Which is something you are unable to do with the physical version, as you cant patch that in, which was mentioned.

---

Pic of the 2 new classes Clocker and Doll User

UTElHDD.jpg

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201605020002/

The doll user should be amusing since apparently it will be able to fuck up the enemy formations as one of its abilities. Which should be hilarious if it is indeed true. Since nothing more irritating when the asshole you want to kill runs to the far back of a row.

Prelude.

The information that I have is the correct one. Which is Physical is unable to be upgraded due to technical reasons. Sony + Exp Inc tried to resolve this but it was impossible apparently, which is why they apologized to the users. New physical costs 3,800 JPY.

Digital versions will be able to upgrade for the cost of 1,800 JPY. While they didnt explain how the digital version would work, basically what I imagine is that the whole data files are replaced server side and those are redownloaded which replaces the old game with the new one. Which is something you are unable to do with the physical version, as you cant patch that in, which was mentioned.
I see, thanks. I wonder if NISA will even bother with this new version.

Parakeetman

I see, thanks. I wonder if NISA will even bother with this new version.

Seeing it took them a year to do the previous game. No idea really. Even more so considering people would have to re-buy the game, which usually does not go down well in the West, unlike Japan.

Which is why for example "hunting" genre games you guys usually get the latest versions instead of each increment that was released lol.

Its like how Japan had 2 versions of Cross Blood on the Vita. Infinity & Infinity Ultimate. While not exactly the same, its similar in the sense of 2 versions of the game existing on the same platform. Honestly this SOSC situation is a little better off as there is actual new content with the 2 new classes + story content.

From what I remember with the live streams, this most def was being made just for the JP fans in mind and not with any thoughts to trying to profit in the West with it. As that was the plan with the XBO version for attempting to sell to the West.

They didnt mention anything about this having the new artwork style or not similar to the XBO / Vita versions currently out in the West. The Steam version is apparently blocked in Japan so no getting that for me as I dont run a VPN lol.

Parakeetman

Ray Gigant US OT should go up later today. With what little information there is about it from the "Western" side of things. So most of the info will be the same as the JP stuff. Just including review scores and other whatnots. But will pretty much just be a fairly exact replica of the JP one once again.

----

Also the new Experience Inc. logo, like how its an Exp bar under the name.

-------

Info on their next Xbox One title "Yomi wo Saku Hana"

Experience announced Yomi wo Saku Hana (The Flowers that Ruptured the Underworld), a new title Xbox One due out in Japan in spring 2017, during its 10th anniversary celebration event in Akihabara today.

A genre for the title was not announced, but it is not a dungeon RPG such as the company’s usual output and has hack and slash-style gameplay. It has a Japanese-style setting and is connected to the same world as Experience’s dungeon RPG Students of the Round. While not like zombie-undead, its people are only able to be active during the night, turning into bones during the day.

Courtesy of Gematsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6519rFQsjc

+ the GAF thread on it by Endless
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213645

Dorarnae

looks like some character are returning and some new area too?

011.jpg

013.jpg

with the 2 new class, wouldn't be surprised they added a bunch of new items too.

and some new boss...
012.jpg

looks like they're adding a couple things, isn't just a few things like labyrinth cross blood.
ugh, will maybe buy it again lol.

dkoy

Interesting to finally see Exp. branch out of DRPGs, though I say finally even though I haven't been following them for relatively long. I hope they do well with real time combat.

Kinda meh about the new logo, but then again I feel the same way about their old one. The exp bar underline is pretty neat though.

CrovaxPSO

I'm digging the new logo. First saw it in a small image so I thought it was supposed to represent a sword before I enlarged it.

New background = new dungeon? At least I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the original.

Dorarnae

I'm digging the new logo. First saw it in a small image so I thought it was supposed to represent a sword before I enlarged it.

New background = new dungeon? At least I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the original.

yeah I wonder if it's not something like labyrinth cross blood where your party take a portal and meet the character from student of round. would be funny to meet alice or something.

Parakeetman

Yeah that wasnt in there. Its much appreciated that the newer artwork gives a stronger example of worlds combined. Seeing how the stuff is floating in the background can guess that the dungeon is in the sky or something.

yeah I wonder if it's not something like labyrinth cross blood where your party take a portal and meet the character from student of round. would be funny to meet alice or something.

From what we know so far Elsa from SoR is in the game. Which does fit with the story when you consider
the part of the story with Marilith with the body of the hero from SoR

Parakeetman

I wonder if they'll rework the divinity skill tree, with one of the monster that looked like a new lineage?

They didnt go into specifics about what was redone, so guess in the upcoming month more info will come out. Seeing how the game is about 2 months out.

Dont recall them mentioning anything about divinity skill tweaks from earlier livestreams also.

Top Bottom