• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Adventures Of The GAFcast Episode #003 - 08/05/06

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
:O Responses to the question of the week! You guys almost made my day. But don't feel bad... everyone is currently a runner-up to Dead Rising.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
sp0rsk said:
Because i dont want every week to switch otu the thread and have it get to the point to where no one notices it has come out.

edit: yikes lets try this again

Because, if i switch out the thread every week people are just gonna forget that its updated. not stickying it gives it a little chance to live and breathe before getting stuck.
Just let the old one drop off stickiness before the new one is up.

I think DCharlie is a great fit btw, best episode thus far.

What the hell Agent Dormer??? "We are not talking about Tekken and Virtua Fighter because I don't think any of us actually cares" - You asked that your fans to respond to the show and recommend topics, but when they actually do, you don't discuss it on the show??? That's hypocritical!

I could hear one of you in the background say they DO care (can't recognize your voices yet), "I care a little bit, but i wouldn't say Tekken is better than Virtua Fighter!" - DEBATE IT!!!!!!! WHY NOT????

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Agent Dormer said:
Well, we all record our own track - no one is recorded by anyone else (or am I missing the question here?).

I use my PS2 Logitech headseat, actually. :lol

Ah, which makes sense. Everyone has to send their version of the recording to you to do the final mix? I'm pretty sure one of the major screwups when we did our half ass early attempts was going with just 1 recording over TS. Sounds better this way.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Probationsmack said:
So how many dumb wii puns do you guys still have pent up :lol

Man, I heard so many Wii jokes at E3 that I actually have more Wii puns than Your Mom jokes to tell.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Wollan said:
Zonar said:
I LOVE long PodCast. It helps me throughout work. Please keep it up!
I agree.
i guess it's just me then. oh well. *shrugs*

mechesontrance said:
What the hell Agent Dormer??? "We are not talking about Tekken and Virtua Fighter because I don't think any of us actually cares" - You asked that your fans respond to the show and recommend topics, but when they actually do, you don't discuss it on the show??? That's hypocritical!

I could hear one of you in the background say they DO care (can't recognize your voices yet), "I care a little bit, but i wouldn't say Tekken is better than Virtua Fighter!" - DEBATE IT!!!!!!! WHY NOT????
:lol

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Lonestar said:
Ah, which makes sense. Everyone has to send their version of the recording to you to do the final mix? I'm pretty sure one of the major screwups when we did our half ass early attempts was going with just 1 recording over TS. Sounds better this way.

Yeah, they all send it to me and I fix it up in Garage Band - mainly just adjusting levels, deleting silent parts of track so there's no mic buzzing in the background, and making it so there's less pauses between people speaking. We want it to sound like we're in the same room as much as possible when you have two people in Japan, one in California, and one in Florida.

Probationsmack said:
Chris gets kind of dickish towards the end. Poor sporsk. :[
Yeah, I agree. I got kind of intense about the whole thing, but listening back I really shouldn't have monopolized the discussion no matter how sure I was that I was right. Noted for the future.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Question of the week: Make the demo in the 4-6 weeks that the game spends in licenser approval/production/shipping. Of course that possibly cuts into vacation time and time for the sequel to make in the case of yearly updates...

One of you in this GAFcast, i think it was Agent Dormer, asked, "What's the point (of discussing which is better Tekken or Virtua Fighter)?" Well i can answer that...FOR A FUN AND ENTERTAINING DEBATE!!!

For the record, the point of asking questions of opinion, like Tekken vs Virtua Fighter, is simple...i believe there is a standard/general consensus in gaming of what makes a game good. That's why gaming critics exist, critics are suppose to know that standard. You can't call yourself a critic if you don't know what that standard is and where it should be going. That's why hearing a debate on opinion is so much fun; because there is a general right and wrong to making games that changes with the times.

Of course, i still want to hear about Tekken vs Virtua Fighter. I'm crossing my fingers here guys, please.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
mechesontrance said:
One of you in this GAFcast, i think it was Agent Dormer, asked, "What's the point (of discussing which is better Tekken or Virtua Fighter)?" Well i can answer that...FOR A FUN AND ENTERTAINING DEBATE!!!

For the record, the point of asking questions of opinion, like Tekken vs Virtua Fighter, is simple...i believe there is a standard/general consensus in gaming of what makes a game good. That's why gaming critics exist, critics are suppose to know that standard. You can't call yourself a critic if you don't know what that standard is and where it should be going. That's why hearing a debate on opinion is so much fun; because there is a general right and wrong to making games that changes with the times.

Of course, i still want to hear about Tekken vs Virtua Fighter. I'm crossing my fingers here guys, please.

Kohler said that. (Playing the blame game is fun!) No, seriously. 100%. I can actually take a cap of the garage band screen to show that the comment is from his track at the time point.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that your persistence has won over our hearts. Our hard-hearted exteriors have cracked. You win. We shall cover this topic in-depth in next week's show. Please look forward to it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kobun Heat said:
I think I speak for all of us when I say that your persistence has won over our hearts. Our hard-hearted exteriors have cracked. You win. We shall cover this topic in-depth in next week's show. Please look forward to it.

Well, the bolding has mezmerized me. I'm convinced!

GAFCast Tekken extravaganza, please.

jjasper

Just listened good show guys.

I personally think the need for demos is there. I want to be able to try out a game before I pay it but at the same time I don't want to spend the $5-6 to rent it.They could be on line like Live has, mailed like Sony does, in Magazines like they both do. I probably be willing to pay $7-10 for a disk if I got multiple demos on said disk (Sony Jumppack or whatever). With the recent rise in demos when a game does not have one I start to, instinctively question it. I wonder to myself "Why don't the developers want to show the game, are they hiding something?" To use Gears of War, there was a thread on the board about people questioning the game, a lot of that had to do with the fact that it won't have a demo. Are they hiding the game? People say that big names don't get demos but that isn't true just to name a few FFXII, MGS3 and MGS2, God of War, and Resident Evil 4 all got publicly available demos. Also people say Gears can't have one because it is M, but to that I point back to RE4 which I remember playing at Gamestop, hell it was on Nintendo's official demo disks. It comes down to not wanting to release demos because it will hurt sales. I really think that without demos developers will just generate hype if they know the game isn't as good as made out, they won't release a demo. People will buy the game based off the hype.

Also to prove spOrks point about the control of information. Too Human had a pretty big spread in EGM before E3 where the game was as far as I can remember hyped big time. What if that was all we saw besides screens of the game other controlled until it launched?

jjasper said:
What if that was all we saw besides screens of the game other controlled until it launched?
This happens all the time, though. There was no playable demo of Ouendan prior to its release, and it's the best game ever.

jjasper

Kobun Heat said:
This happens all the time, though. There was no playable demo of Ouendan prior to its release, and it's the best game ever.

I know that there are games were no info is really released, but I am really referring to games that hyped beyond they need to be. If someone is going to go out of there way to tell me how great their game is, they better show me why. I don't think it is necessary that all games need a demo just those. I should have been more clear.

PS: Was it really in a magazine and hyped as much as Too Human was? I honestly have no idea.

jjasper said:
If someone is going to go out of there way to tell me how great their game is, they better show me why.
So your contention is, now that E3's over, there won't be any playable demos prior to a game's release? Hardly. What will happen is that demos will be released as they fit in with publishers' own internal schedules, and not squeezed into a tiny window in May whether or not it can be done. That's the lesson of Too Human.

jjasper

Kobun Heat said:
So your contention is, now that E3's over, there won't be any playable demos prior to a game's release? Hardly. What will happen is that demos will be released as they fit in with publishers' own internal schedules, and not squeezed into a tiny window in May whether or not it can be done. That's the lesson of Too Human.

Once again I am sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post (I am kind of half ass studying for a physiology while I do this). So I am going to try for a redo:
- My statement was independent of E3
- I think demos are good for gaming and force developers and publishers to be honest about their games with journalists and potential buyers
- When major releases that are heavily hyped and released with out a demo to the public I am skeptical that they are hiding something about the game (Gears example)
- A demo doesn't have to come out 6 months before it is release. I would actually like the opposite. If it is released closer to around the time the game is released it will be a better indication of what the game is like
-If a publisher/developer has control over what they show the result could be that we get a single preview of a game that gets heavily hyped do to what is released by the publsihers (Too Human EGM example) and then it comes out without any more showings it is easier to trick the public into buying it.

I hope this helps some. If not I can try again.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Sho Nuff said:
Is there a link for iTunes so I can subscribe?

I think I said we were working on that last week, but since Evilore is hosting the 'cast now, we've basically had to restart the process. All I can say is that it is in the works and we understand this is a huge want of our audience.

Jonnyram

I like this new podcast. I might be a teeny weeny bit biased, but I feel DCharlie makes a good contribution to the discussion :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Nice podcast, it's getting better. Good sound quality, some rather insightful comments, and David made a nice debut. Chris talks too much at times though. :p
And Dormer (I think it was) sounded kinda pissed throughout the podcast, especially a few times when Chris talked. Kinda hard to say if it was jokingly or not though. :p
And you should introduce David by reading his tag out loud in a future episode, or let him do it himself after a few drinks.

Concerning the question about demos...
Let's see....right now the situation for console game demo distribution is better than EVER before because of the online possibilites for consoles like 360, PS3 (and Wii if the storage space allows it), but also PSP (and DS to a certain extent). I want more developers to use this possibility in the best of ways.
I think demos are definitely worth the effort as they give devs a chance to show off their game (although I guess smaller devs with smaller projects have the most to gain from the word of mouth created by people playing demos, since they can't rely on heavy marketing) and players a chance to get a feel for the game and knowing what it's about beyond mere images and videos.
We've seen game demos (at E3) for years and years now, makes me wonder whether or not game devs actually learn to take demos into account when creating their game, ie learning ways to make the demo creation more efficient.

And also, what about possible demos around or just after a game has been released?
Some people download games just to "try them out", distributing a playable demo even after the full game has been released will give people an opportunity to try the game legally, and for free (and through the console's own interface no less, which means not having to deal with mod chips, finding and downloading a game etc). Also, it shouldn't really require much effort after the game has gone gold anyway, they could just cut out some content and release a one level demo or something, or a couple of multiplayer maps in an FPS game.

Eventually though, I can see game devs charging us a small sum of money for a playable demo (to make up for the money being spent on hiring people specifically working on a demo version or something similar). Microsoft could probably release a Halo 3 demo that you have to pay for, and lots people wouldn't think twice about it. Hell, we've already seen Polyphony Digital release "Prologue" versions of their Gran Turismo games already, which kind of counts. :p

Y2Kevbug11 said:
GAFCast Tekken extravaganza, please.

I don't know what's going on but YES MORE TEKKEN plz!!!

Norse

Nice work guys..I am listening right now and adding DCharlie is HUGE! He adds alot to the show.

woo hoo! I was mentioned in my first podcast! thx ... however, I wanted you guys to talk about games coming out the following week and if we as gamers sould be excited...not what you're going to be playing next week...obviously some weeks wont have anything good coming, but least you guys gave it a shot. LOL

Something for next week:

What is your reaction to EA shutting down all their servers for games dated 2005 and older?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
ha ha - if the next one is on sunday (?) that's going to be interesting as i'm going to have the GUARANTED MOTHER OF ALL HANGOVERS after Summer Sonic.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Nice listen, it's improving each and everytime. I personally like the length of the show, it gives good coverage and discussion to a lot of the topics.

Norse

ok, finished listening now...nice show overall...guys get better every week.

Question of the week: I think the fact all consoles and handhelds now have internet connections, and online services per say, gaming companies will just put video demos and playable demos online for download..XBL already does this alot. Sony has been selling there games using FMV for years and now all companies will. E3 isnt needed in its old form. A huge wall display from EA overshadows a small dev with a 20 inch montior even though the later may have a much better game us gamers would be interested in.

Reason why Gears of War release date was important: gamers are out there that havent gotten an x360 yet, but they may want one but also want a ps3. Gears of war comes out and they see it being played by friends etc..if the game turns out to be amazing, they will get a x360 during xmas because ps3 wont be available. This makes 360 sales go thru the roof for important xmas sales and just delays the purchase of a ps3.

To Wii or Not to Wii? Wii will fly off the shelves in Japan and blow sony and MS out of the water there. In North America I see it doing ok, but not up to x360 numbers. This could all change though if "cabbage patch kid" like news reports are all over the tv talking about Japan going crazy overthe Wii. The gamecube never had that so it dint do as well as Nintendo fans would have hoped. Europe? I see europe as a possible 33/33/33 split between the big 3.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Haha, I got mentioned on the GAFcast! Now I'm going to be labeled the Bulletwitch lover, aren't I? :lol

Another great podcast as always. I just have one critique for Agent Dormer; you sounded almost annoyed at times when the others were talking past the alotted time. Kind of disturbed the "flow" of the conversation.

Also DCharlie referring to "Velocitygirl" as "Tubgirl." :lol :lol :lol

mechesontrance said:
Hi I'm Leguna Leguna Leguna Leguna Leguna Leguna Leguna Yes I am in fact Leguna that's me yessirree I can't hide it very well!

You know, in the last thread, you mentioned you think Tekken 5 is better because of its characters, graphics, music, and easier to perform moves. That's pretty shallow when it really boils down to the game play.

This podcast is about what's going in this forum and what the guys are playing. No one is talking about which of two already-old fighting games is better than the other, other than YOU , LEGUNA, in this thread. Why don't you simply make your own podcast like you've been saying?

ziran

good show and a good discussion.

Lyte Edge said:
Another great podcast as always. I just have one critique for Agent Dormer; you sounded almost annoyed at times when the others were talking past the alotted time. Kind of disturbed the "flow" of the conversation.
i agree. while it was a better show than the last one i think it didn't flow as well. it was better when the topics ended more of their own accord rather than the abrupt way this time.

imo game demos are worthwhile if taken from the finished, or nearly finished game, but i don't want to play anything early. i want to try part of something i will be buying.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ziran said:
i agree. while it was a better show than the last one i think it didn't flow as well. it was better when the topics ended more of their own accord rather than the abrupt way this time.
i think dormer still needs to facilitate the discussion, he just needs to get people to move onto the next topic in a smoother way.

I noticed he said a few times (i'm paraphrasing), "Okay guys, this discussion has gone too long." OR "We've gone way over time on this topic, lets move onto the next."

There's no need to actually say it has gone too long or whatever. Just blurt out the next topic of discussion to get things moving.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Kobun Heat said:

boy, of all the things you could've learned from too human, you came away with that

Ceb

DCharlie was a great addition. Very pleasant to listen to, very well-spoken and made me realize that I shouldn't judge people by the way they appear on the forums. :)

Chris, however... :lol He's every bit as oafish as he appears, and hijacks the discussion too much. I suppose you need someone who's less mellow though.

Kobun Heat said:

Thank you, much appreciated!

Swordian

Demos -

1. Are they worth the effort?

Yes. However, I think they can be done a little differently with the X360/PS3/Wii generation of consoles. For public consumption, the demo can be created after the game is released so that people who aren't going to buy it on release day can try out it and see if they're interested in it. This way the demo actually represents the finished product and doesn't impact the development.

Top Bottom