• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Vaddon

Sri Lanka's first innings has been absolutely demolished by NZ's bowlers, really brilliant performance to watch.

Fantastic form from Steve Smith too, he really seems unstoppable.

elfinke

The bowling hasn't been amazing, for sure, but the field placement and captaincy by India has been fucking appalling. They're playing for a draw on day two it looks like, just rubbish.

This is some pretty terrific batting by Smithy though, far out. No bowler or field could contain him at the moment.

bomma_man

Can't believe that Kohli's average is so low.

Did anyone watch the highlights of the 2001 aus/India series they showed this morning? So sad to see how test cricket has disintegrated in India.

wachie

He didn't deserve the century, fair outcome

Clarke would have declared much earlier. Smith is too conservative as Deano said.

Clarkey would have won this match.

Don't know, the pitch was a road. Clarke sure as hell would've declared earlier though. Can't really blame Smith too much, early in his captaincy, a little conservatism is OK. He'll grow a set with more experience.

Edit: Pattinson on fire in the BBL tonight. With Cummins also looking good, it might spell the end for Siddle.

hamchan

Is there a list of guys who have retired after getting beaten by Australia recently.

Kallis, Smith, Dohni...

Graeme Swann.

Anyways Dhoni retiring is fairly surprising to me. Seems like he could play for many more years to me. I guess he's already super famous in India and incredibly rich, if he doesn't want to play he can now enjoy the rest of his life.

-------

The more I think about it the more I realize how right Steve Smith was to not declare early. There's aggressive cricket and then there's dumb cricket. Dumb cricket would be to let India have a chance of winning the game when Australia was 2-0 up, with the onus being on India to produce that win by getting 20 wickets in a game.

Smithy boy played it smart and did the right thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have no idea why everyone is banging on about drawing it.

Drawing it means that the series is clinched. This test is not a must-win for us, but it is for the indians, and they clearly did not want it enough to be aggressive searching for wickets during their time on the field.

wachie

I have no idea why everyone is banging on about drawing it.

Drawing it means that the series is clinched. This test is not a must-win for us, but it is for the indians, and they clearly did not want it enough to be aggressive searching for wickets during their time on the field.
Smith looked absolutely dejected like he had lost the series post match.

wachie

Dhoni win % at home: 70, away: 20.

Crazy.
Yeah his test record wasn't that great but look at this comment on cricinfo

MS Dhoni, thank you for your Test Captaincy achievements since 2008. You led the Indian team to series wins in New Zealand and West Indies, and the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in 2008, 2010 and 2013. In 2009 you also led the Indian team to number one position for the first time in the ICC Test rankings. In 2013, under his captaincy, India became the first team in more than 40 years to whitewash Australia in a Test series. In June 2013, when India defeated England in the final of the Champions Trophy in England, you became the first captain ever to win all the four ICC trophies (No.1 in Test ranking, ODI World cup winner,Champions trophy winner and T20 world cup winner). WOW.... what a record!!

Holy shit what a record.

legend166

Dhoni's achievements at home were great but honestly he was an awful captain tactically. In the one match he had Kohli looked much better, so I see this as a good result for India.

wachie

Cricinfo piling on Smith - India lost their last three wickets in 16 balls in the first innings, Australia didn't even bowl the last 24 balls in the second innings.

Dhoni's achievements at home were great but honestly he was an awful captain tactically. In the one match he had Kohli looked much better, so I see this as a good result for India.
He won the T20 and Champions trophy overseas.

He's just a very poor test captain and that too overseas as Dravid said.

elfinke

The more I think about it the more I realize how right Steve Smith was to not declare early. There's aggressive cricket and then there's dumb cricket. Dumb cricket would be to let India have a chance of winning the game when Australia was 2-0 up, with the onus being on India to produce that win by getting 20 wickets in a game.

Smithy boy played it smart and did the right thing.

Yep, Ch9 commentary were awful in their own approach about that. I mean, I'm all for aggressive, play-for-the-win and play-for-enjoyment too, but there was nothing in it for us to declare early in the day and set India 5 an over to win. Like you say, if India wanted it bad enough they would have pressed harder for 20 wickets themselves.

Smithy did the right thing, and nearly won it anyway. Pitch sucked, too. Leave the carparks for limited overs cricket, please.

Anyway, roll on Sydney!

wachie

What do you think guys, I'm not convinced yet on Agar and the media is pushing his case for Sydney.

Also the declaration was defensive, you knew there was rain in the forecast (with how many overs being lost remaining unknown), Clarkey would have declared much earlier. Just going for a draw (from being in a position to win) is not his brand of cricket.

Yeah strange day, india probably could have used a little more luck/better fielding, but the whole team was aimless and planless today. One over spells?

wachie

Now this is a proper pitch that can be called trash. The pitches in the first three tests were fine, time to realise whats trash and whats not.

In Watson we trust. LOL

Good comment on cricinfo:

Good to See Watson cementing his spot in the Australian Team. Making runs at a strike rate less than 50, on a belter, after a coming in at 1/200, in a test that means nothing is a massive feat.

Watto needs to be dropped down to 6, his mind can't handle 3 anymore. Take the pressure off him.

Top Bottom