• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is now perhaps the second wave of new hotness/cult of the new that I've witnessed since I started board gaming last summer. Y'all are crazy :p

It's the first new collectible format game I've seen people be really excited about for some time. MLP had some buzz last year at GenCon, and maybe that was greater than this (or just fantatical Bronies), but convention goers tend not to reflect the general gaming public.

Karkador

Banned
It's the first new collectible format game I've seen people be really excited about for some time. MLP had some buzz last year at GenCon, and maybe that was greater than this (or just fantatical Bronies), but convention goers tend not to reflect the general gaming public.

The last time I saw this much omnipresent hype was the Pathfinder ACG (that was around the time I started posting in here!). I have since bailed on that game, because it just wasn't something my gaming group and I were going to play often and through an entire campaign. I got kind of disillusioned with it, too, after it became apparent it was a bit repetitive and wanted to be a bit of a moneysink (fwiw, Netrunner has soured me a little bit for that, too, but I still think highly of it...for now).

Karkador

Banned
To be honest lcgs really aren't as different from ccgs as their proponents want you to believe.

Right, that's what I'm discovering with Netrunner. I was really enjoying it when it was just a core set and a few 'optional' expansions. It was nice to be able to remember what every card does, and not be overwhelmed by so many possibilities.

Even back then, however, other players would scratch their heads if I asked them whether you could stay competitive by only having a core set. Now the game is being blown apart in so many ways (and so quickly), I really doubt that you can survive with a core set, or even the first set of expansions.

Maybe the LCG concept was improperly pitched to people as something where you didn't have to keep buying cards to play. I guess I was hoping for something like TF2 (the PC game) where the boring base weapons that the game launched with are still quite viable against all the crazy stuff that has come out since then.

Right, that's what I'm discovering with Netrunner. I was really enjoying it when it was just a core set and a few 'optional' expansions. It was nice to be able to remember what every card does, and not be overwhelmed by so many possibilities.

Even back then, however, other players would scratch their heads if I asked them whether you could stay competitive by only having a core set. Now the game is being blown apart in so many ways (and so quickly), I really doubt that you can survive with a core set, or even the first set of expansions.

Maybe the LCG concept was improperly pitched to people as something where you didn't have to keep buying cards to play. I guess I was hoping for something like TF2 (the PC game) where the boring base weapons that the game launched with are still quite viable against all the crazy stuff that has come out since then.
Keep in mind I'm still head over heels in love with Netrunner, but I think you could still have a good time with a limited card pool. In some cases even be competitive. For instance, there are still core set cards that are considered the best cards in the game. Entire deck strategies still revolve around single core set cards like Account Syphon and San San City Grid. The only suggestion people make is how competitive are you willing to get. Great cards like San San only have a single copy in a core set. Competitive players suggest you grab two cores as a must. Expansions can be purchased at the discretion of the player. Which brings me to my next point...

While I can see why people consider it a money sink I don't think it should be considered a CCG style sink. The benefit LCGs have over CCGs is that each data pack comes with the same cards. Instead of hoping for random card pulls the cards in data packs are known quantities. You have the option to skip packs if they don't have cards that fit your play style. Now some people do buy everything anyway, and that's what FFG is hoping for, but at least there is an option.

I only wish FFG slowed down their releases. It seems like this cycle went by really quick.

Karkador

Banned
I think Netrunner is brilliant and a lot of fun, too, but what you just said - "how competitive you're willing to get" is exactly the kind of "pay to win" thing that people told me wouldn't happen with an LCG. IMO, even buying multiple core sets is ridiculous and against the principle that Netrunner hooked me on.

Mista Koo

Played Castles of Burgundy last night, I really liked it. It was the first time any of us played it and I was in 2nd place with one point difference!
It was a BN clearance purchase, I wonder if I can still grab a copy for myself from there.
Also played a Kickstarter game called Professor Pugnacious. It's a neat deck-builder, but everything is sepia and all the cards are unreadable. I mocked up a cleaner take just to show the designers how it should be done.

Currently planning a Love Letter retheme/translation. It's perfect to play with my nephew but his English isn't good enough and the roles are awkward to translate.

sasimirobot

First I want to thank this thread for getting me interested in tabletop gaming. I knew nothing about it besides the old school monopoly/stratego type games that everyone grew up with. After reading the OP I decided to pick up Ticket to Ride. Have had alot of fun with the GF but have not had a chance to get more people to play. So I want to try the India/Nordic because it is better suited for less players. Do you think this would be the best second TTR game for us?

I am waiting on my order of Hanabi and Love Letter, and interested in Takenoko and 7 Wonders. Any suggestions for more 2-3 player games?

Faiz

Maybe the LCG concept was improperly pitched to people as something where you didn't have to keep buying cards to play.

Yeah, that's definitely not the right pitch. The boon is more that there's no randomness to buying cards. Instead of buying boosters HOPING to get rares and special cards, you know exactly what expansion to buy to get the cards you want.

You don't have to buy everything, but yeah, if you want to stay "competitive" you'll have to keep buying cards.

But I really only play Game of Thrones LCG with my wife - we've had just the base for months and are totally fine with that.

EYEL1NER

Interesting to see the demand in here for Marvel Dice Masters. I played Quarriors! on Tabletop Day and like it, and I think the Marvel dice look amazing, but I will try to stay away from it for now.

I have a copy of Alien Frontiers I am trying to obtain at the moment. I want a version released prior to the 4th Edition, only because the one I played was an earlier version (not sure which though; it had no rocket dice but did have a score track and regular colonies, so maybe 3rd?). Only problem is that my chance to get it will end while I am sitting in an opera tonight. Might ask a family member to watch it but I have a feeling it will go for more than I feel I can spend on it.

Angst

First I want to thank this thread for getting me interested in tabletop gaming. I knew nothing about it besides the old school monopoly/stratego type games that everyone grew up with. After reading the OP I decided to pick up Ticket to Ride. Have had alot of fun with the GF but have not had a chance to get more people to play. So I want to try the India/Nordic because it is better suited for less players. Do you think this would be the best second TTR game for us?

I am waiting on my order of Hanabi and Love Letter, and interested in Takenoko and 7 Wonders. Any suggestions for more 2-3 player games?
Switzerland is awesome with three players. Nordic is probably good too, but costs more due to it including trains and cards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nordic Countries is also amazing with 3 -- it's actually designed for 3! If you ever play with 4 you must get the Asia team map set though.

That's awesome man. Yeah, I do feel like tabletop gaming is this hidden gem that is just perfect for so many people -- couples, groups of friends, even solo players -- so glad it's continuing to gain attention.

Hanabi, Love Letter, and Takenoko are very solid picks (not Love Letter with 2 though). Basic rules and really aesthetically/thematically pleasing games. I don't know how hardcore you guys consider yourselves but 7 Wonders is a bit tougher to learn. Let me throw out some for your consideration: In co-ops, Pandemic or Forbidden Island (choose one based on theme since they are very similar); if you think your group would be up for a more medieval-themed but abstract card game that has a brilliant core, Dominion; other thoughts -- Carcassonne, Roll through the Ages, Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep for worker placement.

That's good news. I picked it up because I'm a sucker for theme and New Hotness. I know there's at least one other person at work who is getting it too so at least there's that. I made custom teaching mats on inkedplaymats and custom bags on artscow and they look amazing -- seriously blown away by the quality.

SRFo8Mx.jpg

Missed this. Dearest Astro, please explain how I can replicate this amazing setup. I love it, but don't have the faintest idea how to get these made.

AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby

Indeed!

:edit:

I ordered two of the playmats and two dice bags. If I knew a dang thing about Photoshop I would have tried to use this. Instead, I used the one you have and a second, more generic Avengers one.
avengers_vs_x_men_babies_by_skottieyoung-d4raoid.jpg

Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J2p6vc_5A

Mista Koo

Nordic Countries is also amazing with 3 -- it's actually designed for 3! If you ever play with 4 you must get the Asia team map set though.

Let me throw out some for your consideration: In co-ops, Pandemic or Forbidden Island (choose one based on theme since they are very similar)
How good is Ticket to Ride: Europe? I only played America, but American geography is foreign to everyone from my family lol.

Also Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert? I designed a game inspired by them so it makes sense to finally get one of them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How good is Ticket to Ride: Europe? I only played America, but American geography is foreign to everyone from my family lol.

Also Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert? I designed a game inspired by them so it makes sense to finally get one of them.

Forbidden Island is easier and simpler. Desert isn't super complex but it's definitely a real challenge for a co-op game. Would put it up there with the most challenging (Ghost Stories).

Phthisis

There's a game that just came out called Targi that's a two-player worker placement game. It's superb. Me and the GF think it's one of the best two-player games we've ever played.

Mista Koo

Forbidden Island is easier and simpler. Desert isn't super complex but it's definitely a real challenge for a co-op game. Would put it up there with the most challenging (Ghost Stories).
Interesting. Now I want both, Desert to play with my gaming group and Island to play with my family lol.

Having a blast with Dice Masters! I really like it. I don't really understand the boosters though. I am intended to just keep buying until I get at least 2 dice of the same type? Right now I've purchased 7 and gotten 14 different characters with only 1 dice each. A lot of good that does me.

Having a blast with Dice Masters! I really like it. I don't really understand the boosters though. I am intended to just keep buying until I get at least 2 dice of the same type? Right now I've purchased 7 and gotten 14 different characters with only 1 dice each. A lot of good that does me.

You'd be surprised. A case is the best option obviously as it gives you 120 dice and cards, but given that most dice cost between 4-6 you many only ever get 1 die of those out anyway. It's almost crazy to have more than one die on a 6 cost card.

sasimirobot

There's a game that just came out called Targi that's a two-player worker placement game. It's superb. Me and the GF think it's one of the best two-player games we've ever played.

I see Targi and a game called Jaipur are made by the same company. My finger hovers over the "buy" button of one of them as we speak, first reply calls this purchase!

Did anyone back The Agents at kickstarter last year and can say anything about it? Is it good? Is it just meh? Does it have the possibility to become good? They have another kickstarter going and I am interested, but unlike other kick-starters, this one is more like a shop and not supporting somebody's idea, so I am curious what you guys have to say about it. (I mean about the game and not about the kickstarter stuff)

Neverfade

Did anyone back The Agents at kickstarter last year and can say anything about it? Is it good? Is it just meh? Does it have the possibility to become good? They have another kickstarter going and I am interested, but unlike other kick-starters, this one is more like a shop and not supporting somebody's idea, so I am curious what you guys have to say about it. (I mean about the game and not about the kickstarter stuff)

A buddy of mine KS'd it and I've played it. It's not a bad little game, but fairly simple. I don't think its going to blow anyone's mind, but it has a fairly unique twist on 'Battleline' style games in a way.

Phthisis

I see Targi and a game called Jaipur are made by the same company. My finger hovers over the "buy" button of one of them as we speak, first reply calls this purchase!

I have not played Jaipur (heard good things). Targi is probably slightly more complex from what I know of the game.

To be honest lcgs really aren't as different from ccgs as their proponents want you to believe.

The cost issue is still a massive gap that separates the formats. One little expansion pack here or there,compared to the typical spendings of the CCG crowd. Plus even after spending a small fortune, its still all random and you likely won't have all the cards you need to be competitive.

Karkador

Banned
The cost issue is still a massive gap that separates the formats. One little expansion pack here or there,compared to the typical spendings of the CCG crowd. Plus even after spending a small fortune, its still all random and you likely won't have all the cards you need to be competitive.

I guess for someone like me, I see both as rather high up on the expense curve. Buying into like $60-$100 of expansions for one cycle just to remain competitive with the current wave is asking a bit much, and doesn't really seem too different from dropping $60 on a box of boosters for a CCG. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was at least balanced to allow you to stay competitive with the earlier stuff, but it looks like they are getting further away from that.

It's nice that you can just find out what expansion the cards you want are in and only buy that, but then they do something nasty like spread the Caissa set of cards across the datapacks. So if you want to play with the Chess lady and her pieces, you have to buy all the data packs. *groan* There are all sorts of card combos that require this sort of thing.

Then there's people insisting you should buy three $30-40 core sets just to have more copies of the powerful cards FFG decided to put only 1 or 2 of in the core set. So even the supposed tenet of LCGs being that you're going to get 3 of every card you buy and not have to worry about the card aftermarket is not entirely true when they deliberately pull that kind of thing.

I can also go on the secondary market for a collectible game to get exactly what I want from a set. I've done that with the last few heroclix sets. I'm tired of all the junk that I don't want mixed in with the few things I do want.

I think it's all a matter of levels. If you want to be at the absoute peak of competition, collectible is going to possibly be a bit more expensive. It depends on the game and the frequency of releases

There are a ton of collectible players though who only come out during a set release to play in a blind/sealed format. This is my favorite thing about collectible game play and its something that you can't replicate with LCGs at all. LCGs are all about constructed play, not surprise team/deck building.

I guess for someone like me, I see both as rather high up on the expense curve. Buying into like $60-$100 of expansions for one cycle just to remain competitive with the current wave is asking a bit much, and doesn't really seem too different from dropping $60 on a box of boosters for a CCG. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was at least balanced to allow you to stay competitive with the earlier stuff, but it looks like they are getting further away from that.

It's nice that you can just find out what expansion the cards you want are in and only buy that, but then they do something nasty like spread the Caissa set of cards across the datapacks. So if you want to play with the Chess lady and her pieces, you have to buy all the data packs. *groan* There are all sorts of card combos that require this sort of thing.

Then there's people insisting you should buy three $30-40 core sets just to have more copies of the powerful cards FFG decided to put only 1 or 2 of in the core set. So even the supposed tenet of LCGs being that you're going to get 3 of every card you buy and not have to worry about the card aftermarket is not entirely true when they deliberately pull that kind of thing.

I can also go on the secondary market for a collectible game to get exactly what I want from a set. I've done that with the last few heroclix sets. I'm tired of all the junk that I don't want mixed in with the few things I do want.

I think it's all a matter of levels. If you want to be at the absoute peak of competition, collectible is going to possibly be a bit more expensive. It depends on the game and the frequency of releases

There are a ton of collectible players though who only come out during a set release to play in a blind/sealed format. This is my favorite thing about collectible game play and its something that you can't replicate with LCGs at all. LCGs are all about constructed play, not surprise team/deck building.

Pretty much in every level, LCG's are still going to be cheaper. LCG's also just are more friendly for the casual audience and a large part of it was designed to attract the board gamer crowd who will only play in a small circle of friends, but a starter and few packs and they can have some fun.

Even with secondary markets, you often spent a ton more on CCG's than LCG's. Just to get a single set of 3/4 cards of a specific rare from a set easily would cost you as much as an entire cycle run of a LCG. And from competitive stand point, if you see how much the truly competitive have to spend. At cool stuff each new set release of the hot CCG's like Magic is followed with players buying 2-5 booster boxes each, and still having to buy and work like heck often to get complete sets.

Heroclix isn't as bad, especially due to the wild array of abilities on so many figures, as well as players not needing much to play or stay competitive. Unlike CCG's, the meta in stuff like Heroclix doesn't fluctuate as wildly and if it does, it's often real cheap to get into. And Wizkids has never been the most balanced at allocating it's meta since the players develop it often using stuff that isn't even rare, making it easy to collect. You can easily rock the house with army made up of commons and uncommons. You really can't compare CMG's with CCG's easily.

LCG popularity is obviously nowhere near what CCG's are selling though, but again I think it's largely targeted at a different market, because many people like playing CCGs, but not actually buying into them, while with LCG's it's an easier pill to swallow.

Draxal

Picked up the Transport with the X wing at Barnes and Noble today. Its an impressive looking ship.

edit.

I thought FFG introduced draft packs for Netrunnera nd AGOT, as draft play was a pretty huge piece of the pie that that they were missing with lcg format.

Karkador

Banned
LCG popularity is obviously nowhere near what CCG's are selling though, but again I think it's largely targeted at a different market, because many people like playing CCGs, but not actually buying into them, while with LCG's it's an easier pill to swallow.

Right, I don't deny that LCGs have been designed to rope in a more casual, CCG-averse audience (that's me). What some of us are saying is that the pill may have been made easier to swallow, but it's still the same pill in the end.

Phthisis

Got my ass handed to me twice by Castle Ravenloft this weekend. And for some reason I am eager to come back for more. I hate myself.

fallout

Got my ass handed to me twice by Castle Ravenloft this weekend. And for some reason I am eager to come back for more. I hate myself.
I found that an important thing was to take advantage of as much as possible. Like, anywhere the game gives you an inch, take a mile. It's probably also worth noting that the subsequent games (Wrath of Ashardalon and The Legend of Drizzt) are far more forgiving.

joelseph

Got my shit kicked in at a JOU Prerelease this past weekend. Give me draft over sealed any day.

Similarly getting stomped in Marvel Dicemasters by my buddy running Punisher. Damn that die.

Phthisis

I found that an important thing was to take advantage of as much as possible. Like, anywhere the game gives you an inch, take a mile. It's probably also worth noting that the subsequent games (Wrath of Ashardalon and The Legend of Drizzt) are far more forgiving.

Yeah, I own Ashardalon as well. Weirdly I find Ashardalon to be much more difficult than Ravenloft. I hate the monsters in WoA. Those Legion Devils are a table flip every time I draw them.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Hadn't checked up in a while but Descent 2nd Ed has four expansions already? Going to grab a couple, any recommendations?

spirity

I broke down and ordered up Runebound, should be here next week.

But I just know Fantasy Flight will announce the 3rd edition soon.

Hadn't checked up in a while but Descent 2nd Ed has four expansions already? Going to grab a couple, any recommendations?
Caveat: I haven't played them yet, but Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall are both full expansions with complete campaigns, four heroes each, and more monsters... but cost a bit more. Of the two, I hear Shadow has more varied and interesting encounters.

Lair of the Wyrm and The Trollfens are mini expansions with two heroes each and a couple new monster types each. They have rules for adding encounters into your base campaign.

The Dice Tower put out reviews of each expansion last week on YouTube, so I'd check those videos out to get an idea of the new mechanics, components, heroes and monsters.

ultron87

Whelp, I've ordered Twilight Imperium. And I've convinced people to play it soon. There will be all the bits on the table for all the hours.

EYEL1NER

I haven't gotten around to buying Descent yet, so no recs, but Labyrinth of Ruin is $35.XX on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616615427/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Whelp, I've ordered Twilight Imperium. And I've convinced people to play it soon. There will be all the bits on the table for all the hours.
Nice. I don't foresee being able to play mine for a long time. I'll probably just open it from time-to-time and look at the pretty components. Maybe inventory it every couple of months to have an excuse to break it open. I would have been a fool to have not bough it at the price I found it for though, so I don't regret buying it at all.

Did not know that Castle Ravenloft was supposed to be really hard. I had it in the back of my mind for a while and when I saw that there were only six copies left at $36.XX on Amazon, I broke down and ordered.

Karkador

Banned
Speaking of space games, have any of you played REX (the "Dune remake")? I was listening to them talk about it on the SUSD podcast, and it sounded pretty cool. I've never played Dune, nor will I probably ever get the chance to, but like TI3, it seems to be one of board gaming's featured games (though it could just be that it's because the game is rare)

sasimirobot

Had my first ever 4 player tabletop session last night, before that it was only GF and I with T2R (Ticket to Ride) sessions.

Games played:

T2R
Love Letters

I brought out Love Letters first, It was a big hit with everyone but there was 1 guy who just didn't "get it". I think he was instantly turned off by the name...I love this game and have never seen or played anything like it, but yeah only been in this hobby for 2 weeks now so...

T2R. Oh boy... since the other 2 guys were first timers the first game took soooooooo long, explaining everything, etc...During the second game (same guy as above) threatened to quit the game because somebody "blocked my way". WTF, had to cool him off, but wow, a full grown man almost threw a temper tantrum over the equivalent of blocking in tic-tac-toe, what a douchebag. Those 2 games took hours, but I hope if I can play again we can speed things up.

Session started at 8pm, ended at 1am. Can't wait to play again!

Karkador

Banned
I brought out Love Letters first, It was a big hit with everyone but there was 1 guy who just didn't "get it".

This was me when I first played it! I simply could not wrap my head around it, and I got frustrated. To be fair, I was a little drunk. Thankfully, I gave it another chance and liked it then. It's a very good game for playing in a restaurant/diner while waiting for food, as it takes up so little table space, and will be done by the time the food arrives.

If you think you might be able to get a session with more players (like 5-8), try playing The Resistance. It's an amazing game that everyone can play. Just..maybe don't invite the one sour guy to that one :p

Welcome to board gaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom