• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament for Windows is now available in Pre-Alpha

Unreal Tournament was designed as an "arena first-person-shooter game," with head-to-head multiplayer deathmatches being the primary focus. The game featured deathmatches, team deathmatches, capture the flag, and more, giving shooter fans something fun to play with (think Halo).

The last edition of Unreal Tournament was back in 2007 and it was called Unreal Tournament 3. Now, Unreal Tournament 4 has been released on Windows as a Pre-Alpha, unique because the development is crowdsourced and open to contribution from anyone, breathing new life into the old classic.

Please keep in mind that the game is buggy and will likely not work all the time.

unrealtournament.jpg

Gib me with a flak cannon if old.

UPDATE: This pre-alpha appears to be available for Mac as well at the second source link below.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/new-unr...-now-available-pre-alpha-and-it-looks-amazing

Source: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/download.php?return=http://www.unrealtournament.com

I would download this in a heartbeat as a massive UT fan since UT99 (even loved the divisive UT3) but I think my rather low-end gaming laptop is going to struggle with this. I might try it anyway since AMD's Omega drivers might make this run at a stable frame rate but I've downloaded earlier builds of this in the past and my laptop couldn't run them.

UT3 runs like a dream but this is a quantum leap ahead of that graphically. Might try anyway.

I've been playing the demo for the last hour or so now. It runs alright on my system with settings set to high (but not max). The one level that has textures in it looks sharp overall, but character hand models/ onscreen weapons still look rough and animate kind of poorly. The hand models themselves look kind of bad too. But this is all still early and to be expected. Not bad overall.

Also, the game can run natively in Linux (though it does take a few extra steps to get it running) in its current state, but I am not sure about Mac.

Xdrive05

It runs surprisingly well.

Single 980 user here and I have to use double-1080p resolution (DSR 2x) just to get it to run at less than 120fps. And then it still runs at like 100. Really makes me wish I had a 144hz monitor. :-(

I'd be curious to see how the 750Ti and the 960 runs it. And hell, the 660, etc. I bet they would run it fine, highest settings at 1080p, looking like the screenshots in this thread.

Single 980 user here and I have to use double-1080p resolution (DSR 2x) just to get it to run at less than 120fps. And then it still runs at like 100. Really makes me wish I had a 144hz monitor. :-(

I'd be curious to see how the 750Ti and the 960 runs it. And hell, the 660, etc. I bet they would run it fine, highest settings at 1080p, looking like the screenshots in this thread.

I'm running a 660 3GB model, and it does run surprisingly well. Just don't expect to run the game with post processing turned up to maximum. Right now I am running the game at 1080 with everything set to high except for the post processing, which is set to medium. A 750ti is in rough proximity with the performance of the 660, so I would expect similar results, more or less. A 960 should be a nice sweet spot for this game if you are looking at 1080p gaming with all settings maxed out.

If you consider how well it already runs with no optimized graphics drivers and a still pre-alpha stage, it really demonstrates how much the UE4 is capable of.

I probably won't have any problems with a 970 then, right?

Syril

Unreal Tournament games always ran really easily. I'll have to put this one to the test with my 7-year-old computer.

Unreal Tournament games always ran really easily. I'll have to put this one to the test with my 7-year-old computer.

I still remember running the original UT99 in hybrid software rendering mode on my old ATi RagePro64 with 8MB of RAM.

letaint

Banned
I loved UT3 and 2003/2004. I can't say I played UT99 ever. I'm interested in another UT, but the reception for UT3 was so abysmal I'm truly surprised that there will be a sequel.

Xone9

Banned
can the OP change the title to say PC/Mac because it looks like I can install this on my mac as well (its giving me the option).

The fully textured map runs surprisingly well at low settings on my laptop with an 840m, and it still looks pretty good. It seems to be running much better than when I last played. I really hope this game takes off, I need a good multiplayer shooter that isn't CS:GO (played a ton of that already).

Helznicht

The upsampling option that lets you render at a lower resolution but still keep that native monitor output is awesome for older PCs. Why has nobody ever done this before?

Tried it out, ~20 bots my 970 will stay above 60fps at 32 though fps drops into the 40s tech is still amazing

Anyone manage to connect to an online game it doesnt seem to work

Well I'm fucking amazed. The last build of this I downloaded had a low frame rate and lag whilst this runs silky smooth even on my low-end laptop. It auto-detected my hardware and reduced everything to the lowest settings (I think) but that resulted in 60fps on what is extremely low-end hardware. This thing scales like a dream.

Looks like the next Unreal Tournament will run on my computer. Shocked and amazed.

Some of these lighting effects need to be toned down. Too much shit on the screen is really making it difficult to play. Other than that I like what I'm playing.

Hip Hop

Well I'm fucking amazed. The last build of this I downloaded had a low frame rate and lag whilst this runs silky smooth even on my low-end laptop. It auto-detected my hardware and reduced everything to the lowest settings (I think) but that resulted in 60fps on what is extremely low-end hardware. This thing scales like a dream.

Looks like the next Unreal Tournament will run on my computer. Shocked and amazed.

I'm currently using an HD4000 integrated.

what's your specs? Really need to try it

Top Bottom