• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament for Windows is now available in Pre-Alpha

Woffls

5820K @ 4.3Ghz
EVGA 750 Ti SC, 2GB
MSI X99S SLI
16GB DDR4 @ 2.4Ghz
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD
1080p, 120fps cap, no-vsync:

Texture: Med
Shadow: High
Effects: High
Post Pro: Med
AA: FXAA
FPS - Min 69, Max 122, Avg: 95

Texture, Med
Shadow: Epic
Effects: Epic
Post Pro: Epic
FPS - Min:46, Max 82, Avg: 60

Texture, Med
Shadow: Epic
Effects: Epic
Post Pro: High
FPS - Min:46, Max 98, Avg: 67

Stumbles by the blue light thing in the room on the lower right as you look towards the structure from outside, and the indoor fans. Aside from that, it was only a couple under 60 solid for Epic settings with medium textures.

I'm currently using an HD4000 integrated.

what's your specs? Really need to try it

You might have a decent shot! I have an AMD A6-4400M APU 2.7GHz Dual-Core CPU with a Radeon HD 7520G GPU. It sounds impressive but it's quite low-end in terms of modern gaming. This current pre-Alpha build of UT runs like a dream on it. Lowest settings across the board but I just played a Deathmatch on a fully textured map and the frame rate was stable and solid. 60fps with zero slow down to my shock and amazement. Never expected a next generation UT to run so well on this computer but it somehow does.

Also of note is that even all these years later UT is still an exhilarating blast to play. Had so much fun just now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This has been quite fun so far, I'm impressed. Is there a screenshot function yet or any workaround to take some?

edit:
Found it:

If you would like to take your shots from in game, you can do so by bringing up the console by pressing the tilde ~ key. Then you type in one of the following commands. You can change the multiplier of the first command and you will get a screenshot x times of your current resolution. The command below will give you a resolution that is twice the size of the resolution of your game.

Typing the following will take a screenshot that is twice as big as the screen resolution:
HighResShot 2

gblues

Banned
Just played a quick bot match.

As expected from pre-alpha, the bots are dumb as a box of rocks. :)

It looks like they've put in UT2003's dodging mechanics (double-tap directional keys to do a quick jump), although the wall jump is hilariously broken because you can wall jump infinitely (especially with the low-grav mutator enabled).

Ran quite smoothly on my GTX750ti.

Syril

Just played a quick bot match.

As expected from pre-alpha, the bots are dumb as a box of rocks. :)

It looks like they've put in UT2003's dodging mechanics (double-tap directional keys to do a quick jump), although the wall jump is hilariously broken because you can wall jump infinitely (especially with the low-grav mutator enabled).

Ran quite smoothly on my GTX750ti.

That dodge was all the way back in UT99. 2003 added the double jump and wall jump though.

"although the wall jump is hilariously broken because you can wall jump infinitely (especially with the low-grav mutator enabled)."

Not broken. Intended.

gblues

Banned
"although the wall jump is hilariously broken because you can wall jump infinitely (especially with the low-grav mutator enabled)."

Not broken. Intended.

Ah! That's good, because it was one of those "not sure if intended" things and I really liked it. Glad to know it's an intended feature and not a glitch that will disappear in a future build. :)

Genki

I really hopes this turns out well. Seems like the only realistic hope the subgenre has to get somewhat big again.

Have they implemented hitsounds? I really hated that those were mutators in past UT games. Vital feature imo.

If you consider how well it already runs with no optimized graphics drivers and a still pre-alpha stage, it really demonstrates how much the UE4 is capable of.

From my experience trying it and a frametime graph posted in the other time it has very consistent frametimes too, which is really great.

ue3 games in general (and some especially like bioshock infinite aka stuttershock infinite) have way too much stutter

Making an arena game without consistent stutterfree framerates would be incredibly pointless

Tain

This is really cool even in this early state. The tutorial was surprisingly fun. And it's so pretty!

based epic

Woffls

Well, it runs on my Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook, which has HD4000 graphics and a 3317u i5.... but everything has to be on low, and rendering at 800x450. 48fps average, 33-62.. not great, but playable.

Accoun

Please PLEASE tell me the composer from Unreal 1 or UT99 is coming back for this.

There were multiple composers (3 or 4 IIRC) in UT99. And lots of time ago they were supposed to be talking to them but no idea how did it turn out..

"The bigger hold up was that you needed a UE4 subscription to get to it"

No you didn't. Originally that was the case but fans were building UT and releasing it, then months back Epic started putting out weekly builds for non-subscribers to play without having to go through the hassle of finding the community released builds.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How does a crowd source developed application stay organized so that one person's work doesn't bork everyone else's stuff?

Squishy3

The bigger hold up was that you needed a UE4 subscription to get to it. Now that those are done away with, it only just now recently became widely available.

No you didn't. Originally that was the case but fans were building UT and releasing it, then months back Epic started putting out weekly builds for non-subscribers to play without having to go through the hassle of finding the community released builds.
Yup, there were public builds for the longest time. All you needed was an account on the forums to access the download links.

How low does this scale? Surface Pro low?

I have an extremely low-end laptop and this auto-detected my hardware, reduced everything to the lowest settings and I managed to play a Deathmatch at a super slick, solid and stable frame rate. It scales low and shows dramatic performance improvements compared to previous builds they've released. Earlier builds stuttered like hell with lag that rendered the game unplayable. This runs like a dream. Lowest settings but still very playable. If it's running this well already I'm excited for future builds.

If you think your hardware won't run it give it a shot anyway. It probably will.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have an extremely low-end laptop and this auto-detected my hardware, reduced everything to the lowest settings and I managed to play a Deathmatch at a super slick, solid and stable frame rate. It scales low and shows dramatic performance improvements compared to previous builds they've released. Earlier builds stuttered like hell with lag that rendered the game unplayable. This runs like a dream. Lowest settings but still very playable. If it's running this well already I'm excited for future builds.

If you think your hardware won't run it give it a shot anyway. It probably will.
This excites me! Should be able to play. 😆

jediyoshi

Ah I see. I stopped paying attention after Epic shut down the community builds I followed.

Miker

It runs well on my old ass AMD 7850 - it averages 60 fps on high, I'd say - but it stutters a fair amount in an actual deathmatch vs. bots on the fancy map. It usually happens when I move from room to room.

Unreal Tournament games always ran really easily. I'll have to put this one to the test with my 7-year-old computer.

After you tweak the ini files, ANY game can run easily... i got UT3 running well on a 5 year old PC after tweaking it enough so it looked worse than UT2k4...

BizzyBum

I'm playing on High at 1440p and it's pretty smooth. I might have to lower it though because there are some instances where it stutters.

Game is already awesome, I really hope this game takes off competitively so MOBA's can stop dominating eSports all the time.

But after a decade of CoD and Halo, I suck major ass.

Accoun

After you tweak the ini files, ANY game can run easily... i got UT3 running well on a 5 year old PC after tweaking it enough so it looked worse than UT2k4...

You were able to run UT2004 on cards like Voodoo 3 or ATI Rage, so I guess it's not unusual for this series. I'm pretty sure this runs better on today's low-end than 2k4 did on these specs, though. :p

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Played a few matches. So many memories. Definitely a lot of network issues.

The bones are there to build something great.

I wasn't able to get an online game to start. Everyone in the lobby was complaining about it too, so looks like a bug.

I did get a bot match going offline though. Game runs beautifully on high settings on my PC (a not-too-impressive rig that was only about $700 in 2011). Even at this current early state, the game looks fantastic.

I'm excited for the modding community that will spring up for this game. Given UE4's ease of use it should be easier than ever for people to create their own content (maps, characters) for the game. Really exciting time for be a PC gamer!

wbEMX

i7 4790K @4,2 GHz Boost
ASUS GTX 970 STRIX
8 GB RAM

... and this thing averages at around 100 fps with everything set to "Epic" (1080p). Except when I'm running capture software like Dxtory. This engine is heaven. There need to be more games with this engine. It runs so good at this pre-alpha state. It's incredible.
And yes, I am aware that this is a great PC, but there are several games which look worse and perform worse. I am really impressed right now. Oh, and it's fun as fuck.

/fanboymode off :p

Top Bottom