• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament for Windows is now available in Pre-Alpha

Willectro

Banned
Downloaded this 2 nights ago. Very smooth registration and download/install process. Server browser works fine to find games. Even though it's pre-alpha, the game is quite impressive and I can't wait to see what it will look like in a years time.

Now to get used to the fast gameplay, lol.

My brother and I played some last night. Oh man does Instagib feel like stepping into a nice comfy pair of old slippers.

Name on the Epic Games Launcher is ItAintEasy. Feel free to add me and lets do some fragin!

Played a few rounds last night, feels pretty great! I thought I was gonna suck more but the ol' reflexes seem to be getting back. It feels like it's a little slower than what I remember UT being, although it was a long long time ago since I've played an arena shooter like this.

Those instagib servers are insane, adrenaline rushing fun but so exhausting. :)

Played 5 or 6 rounds last night and didn't want to stop. The weapons are exactly as I remember them over a decade ago. All the alt-fire functions are burned into my brain, and I actually placed first in two of my matches. So glad UT is back!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
In pre-alpha this game looks an plays better than pretty much any shooter I have tried in years. The community will ensure that every map and mode in UT history will make it here, most of it probably free. This is going to be big.

What are the chances we get some Unreal CHampionship 2 stuff? D:

Surprised it supports 21:9 out of the gate, game looks great but unfortunately I cant connect to anyone, just stays "looking for a game" forever, I played the maps in offline though.

Drifters

Was getting a stable 30 FPS while all settings on low at 1080p, all post processing turned off. Seemed decent. Seems to scale really well. Can't wait to see the finished product now!

Wow. Arena deathmatch is back. real interested to see how this does competitively. making their proceeds from that one hat go towards the first tournaments prize pool is a smart move.

Is there bots at this time yet??

Yup,
I was playing a few Bot matches last night, and it was damn fun. I'll probably try to give online matches a go today. I'm not sure if the Bots have difficulty settings though, I started waxing them on my second match.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea is has bots. People can drop in and replace them and if they leave the bot will come back in their place as well.

fijim

Banned
I can't get it to play. It keeps switching back to my desktop over and over.

It seems to be a full screen issue, the game is running in the background and I can see it if I hover over the taskbar icon, however if I try to full screen the game it just switches back to desktop.

Is there a way to play this in windowed mode?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Holy s-
H-
H-
Holy sh-
Holy shiiiiiit.

Can't wait to try this out over the weekend. There's something so pure and fun about Unreal Tournament. No XP, no classes, no unlocking shit. The only thing that matters is your skill and teamwork.

OrangeOak

it is my first Unreal Tournament and I must say that it is most fun I had in multiplayer game since Gears of War.
Awesome movement,great weapons and maps.I was looking for something like that for a long time.I love games with heavy emphasis on movement (like Gears).
I like that it will be F2P with constant updates.I hope it will be supported for a long time by both devs and community.
I was playing with big grin on my face for a whole time :)

Here is my short clip with one of my first sniper multi kills.That map looks amazing.

http://a.pomf.se/djnavg.webm

Don't see why not. But right now you can only get it by downloading UE4

Yeah, the version in the UE4 client is like Epic's version of early access without the fees. Really awesome. And it also has the tools right there so you can contribute to the game as well and put it on the Epic marketplace.

Honestly, it is the most awesome way of handling a beta that I have ever seen.

WavekSra

it is my first Unreal Tournament and I must say that it is most fun I had in multiplayer game since Gears of War.
Awesome movement,great weapons and maps.I was looking for something like that for a long time.I love games with heavy emphasis on movement (like Gears).
I like that it will be F2P with constant updates.I hope it will be supported for a long time by both devs and community.
I was playing with big grin on my face for a whole time :)

Here is my short clip with one of my first sniper multi kills.That map looks amazing.

http://a.pomf.se/djnavg.webm

nice

Cramoss

I just wanted to test this but I've been playing it a lot just like old times. Shit's so good.

Also, playing this with some Perturbator on the background is amazing

Nice to see people are already talking about the visuals only and treating this as a benchmark.

UE3 mp games are all stutterfests, this is also the first game in the hands of people that uses ue4

Performance matters for arena shooters and people are gona be curious about the engine visually in games.

There's also been plentyof discussion about the gameplay and nostalgia/at home factor of the game so what are you even on about

nilbog21

Banned
did they take out the double jump? or was there never any ?

is it me or does this game look like shit on max settings

FaintDeftone

I'm running the game in 1080p on Epic settings on my sort of aging hardware and I was able to get a good 50-60fps. The engine runs very very well.

yea this is amazing. dem graphics!

and super fun to play! cant wait for facing worlds remake with original music and low gravity ^_^

I know your pain. I had to use a Geforce 9600 for a couple of weeks before I could afford to replace my broken GPU :(

I used my 9600gt for a few days last week.

It played Shadowrun Dragonfall at 105c, and League of Legends at 90c.

it was not safe to use. It plays a game that isn't even graphically demanding above the temperature of boiling water.

BashNasty

Great to have Unreal Tournament back, but this thing still needs a lot of polish. Gib effects need to become a lot more grandiose, movement could use a little tweaking, and weapon feel needs some work, but the groundwork is laid. I need great "feel" above all else, so I won't be getting too into the game in this state, but a year from now this shit is gonna be glorious.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I used my 9600gt for a few days last week.

It played Shadowrun Dragonfall at 105c, and League of Legends at 90c.

it was not safe to use. It plays a game that isn't even graphically demanding above the temperature of boiling water.

Haha, mine idled at 70 degrees. Those cards are hazards indeed

did they take out the double jump? or was there never any ?

is it me or does this game look like shit on max settings

How long did you play it for? It sometimes takes a while for it to load in all the hi-res textures.

UE3 mp games are all stutterfests, this is also the first game in the hands of people that uses ue4

Performance matters for arena shooters and people are gona be curious about the engine visually in games.

There's also been plentyof discussion about the gameplay and nostalgia/at home factor of the game so what are you even on about

ain't that the truth. The only exceptions to that rule are Killing Floor and Red Orchestra 2 and the latter had massive issues for months, it's only in the last year and a half I feel that it's actually become a smooth experience all around.

Also this quote from the changelog makes me giddy as fuck
First pass on performance optimization, barely touched the surface.

Xyber

all settings on epic

2500k+7950 = 80-100fps. though it still feels stutter-y? anyone else?

Use fraps to record frametimes and "Frafs bench viewer" to see if you have a lot of random spikes that would not be visible by just checking the FPS.

red731

I've easily put more than three hours into this from yesterday.
It is so smootht and hold 60fps!
On the Outpost map with 32bots (way overdue due to testing), I doesn't drop below ~40fps. (1080/everything on EPIC/FOV 100/decal lasting 30secs)

i7 3770k@ OC 4.4
7970 3GB GHz
16GB RAM
and game will be on 7200rp disk
Win 7 64bit

Also here is the post that guides you how to disable chromatic aberration.

This game I love. Brings back memories.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just played a 15 minute match of InstaGib on DM Outpost, not having played any instagib since forever I feel I've actually become better at it than I used to be :lol.

Ran just fine, like 40-60-ish, Unreal Textures and Post Processing rest on High. As far as I could tell, having players on the map had no impact on the peformance of the map either :). Only thing missing is map music, but I could just put on an UT99 playlist.

Lemonte

Downloading new patch every day is annoying. Patches take forever to download and I get no information on how fast I'm downloading or how big the file is it.

Top Bottom