• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament for Windows is now available in Pre-Alpha

Icefire1424

Subbed to check out later, although I have serious doubts this will run well on my antiquated rig. Either way, thanks for the info OP. A new Unreal is way overdue.

Pachimari

Woah, there's no Danish flag, but there's a Swedish and Finnish one. What a disgrace. =p

I loved what I have played of it. So intense and refreshing!

Delt31

Be gentle but does the game support controller? I hate mouse and keyboard and yes I agree it's superior but I value comfort on the couch more

bbd23

the outpost servers I join dont even look like the ones in screens(only works in offline mode for me?), still its really fun to play

crayman

This is really promising - and Outpost23 is very pretty.

Question - Is the weapon switching priority not working correctly for anyone else? Eg. I will spawn an pick up a Bio Rifle - but it won't switch to it even though the Bio Rifle is higher than the Enforcer on the priority list.

Moobabe

Question - Is the weapon switching priority not working correctly for anyone else? Eg. I will spawn an pick up a Bio Rifle - but it won't switch to it even though the Bio Rifle is higher than the Enforcer on the priority list.

It seems to me, and this might well be wrong, that if you're mid fight the weapon won't switch. It's been a little wonky a couple of times though.

tuxfool

Banned

If you're firing whilst picking up the weapon you won't switch to it.

mnannola

Just downloaded this.

Holy Hell I cannot believe how smooth it is! Probably the most impressive thing I have seen performance wise on my PC.

It also plays...just like UT, which is excellent. Very cool to go back to playing an arena shooter versus all the other shooters out there these days. No unlocks, just aiming and movement skill.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The scalability of Unreal Engine 4 is unbelievable. I managed to make the game run very well and it didn't look that bad either (in my opinion anyway). And there's still plenty of room for optimization. Those who have seen my World of Warcraft screenshots probably know that my system is very outdated (to the point of having a long, white beard and spectacles), so seeing Unreal Tournament run so well is quite impressive.

I took a basic screenshot, most lighting disabled for testing purposes:

ut_testrzsva.png

Rösti;154753774 said:
The scalability of Unreal Engine 4 is unbelievable. I managed to make the game run very well and it didn't look that bad either (in my opinion anyway). And there's still plenty of room for optimization. Those who have seen my World of Warcraft screenshots probably know that my system is very outdated (to the point of having a long, white beard and spectacles), so seeing Unreal Tournament run so well is quite impressive.

F*ck me that pic is big.

KOHIPEET

For those who have downloaded it, would you mind posting your PC's specs and how well did the game run?

I'm planning to buy a new PC mainly because of Unreal and I want to be as cost effective as I can.

Thanks in advance.

morpix

Barely runs at 60 on my OC'd 2500K and 7970 at "Epic" quality 1080.
Old ass hardware though. Runs pretty well at "High", so I'm happy.

Feels a tad clunky though. I miss the double-jump and air-dodge.

Barely runs at 60 on my OC'd 2500K and 7970 at "Epic" quality 1080.
Old ass hardware though. Runs pretty well at "High", so I'm happy.

Feels a tad clunky though. I miss the double-jump and air-dodge.

No double-jump? Bummer, perhaps they'll add it in.

Watching the video nice to see those old classic guns again, like the bio rifle.

mnannola

For those who have downloaded it, would you mind posting your PC's specs and how well did the game run?

I'm planning to buy a new PC mainly because of Unreal and I want to be as cost effective as I can.

Thanks in advance.

CPU: Intel 2500K overclocked to 4.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 970 GTX
RAM: 8GB
Installed on a SSD

At 1080P, I am getting at least 60FPS with no hiccups. Runs flawlessly.

valeo

Rösti;154753774 said:

Agreed; I've got a 6 year old system and it runs buttery smooth on reasonably high settings. Very impressive.

In comparison, FIFA 15 stutters every 2 seconds on the lowest settings.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I spent the last 4 or 5 hours today playing this and I'm in love. Even though servers are constantly crapping out and the lobbies don't work, it's still so much fun and outpost23 is stunning. This is probably the most exciting pc game for me in a long time and I can't wait to see how it shapes up.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like quake live. :\

Dr.Acula

Banned
There are no textures, hardly any lighting, and few effects, so of course this game runs like butter.

The gameplay is crazy fast though, seems faster than Q3A, but I haven't played that game in years so maybe it's just me.

Are they going to bring back onslaught with vehicles and giant outdoor maps?

There are no textures, hardly any lighting, and few effects, so of course this game runs like butter.

The gameplay is crazy fast though, seems faster than Q3A, but I haven't played that game in years so maybe it's just me.

Are they going to bring back onslaught with vehicles and giant outdoor maps?

People are talking about the outpost map which is fully textured and lit and looks amazing

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hope they eventually add all the announcers back from UT2K4. This may be the fastest fps I've ever played (don't remember UT2K4 or UT3 being this fast)

Anyone running this on a dual boot Windows 10 machine with a DirectX 12 card? Be good to see if it makes a performance difference assuming this build isdx12

Awakened

Walljumping around in low grav is incredibly fun. Like a faster Super Metroid in first person or something. I like how the flak's secondary fire arc is affected and goes much further too.

Nozem

BEHOLD:

These are the highest framerates I can get on my work computer, and that's without any other players in the level. 800x600, screen percentage 25%, everything low. I actually didn't expect it to run at all.

I have dual monitors, maybe it would help a tiny bit if i mirrored the displays?

My specs:

lsElM7u.png

At least UT2004 still runs great :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Single 980 user here and I have to use double-1080p resolution (DSR 2x) just to get it to run at less than 120fps. And then it still runs at like 100. Really makes me wish I had a 144hz monitor. :-(

I'd be curious to see how the 750Ti and the 960 runs it. And hell, the 660, etc. I bet they would run it fine, highest settings at 1080p, looking like the screenshots in this thread.
Even an R9 280x kills it at 1080p. Fantastic engine.

I like how the hud is rendered natively no matter what, will make it less rough in the future when you have to drop lower in the future.

This game reminds me just how good shooters used to be, I've had more fun with Outpost 23 and bots than I have with any recent FPS.

Can't wait for the complete product.

tears in my eyes when i spooled up the rocket launcher once more.

...not really but still it was awesome to do that again. and damn UE4 is such a smooth engine, this bodes well for current gen ports on PC

Easy_D

never left the stone age
tears in my eyes when i spooled up the rocket launcher once more.

...not really but still it was awesome to do that again. and damn UE4 is such a smooth engine, this bodes well for current gen ports on PC
Yep. Shits on idTech5 from the top of Mount Everest. idTech is in the bottom of the the Mariana Trench in relation. Hypex100

red731

Registering...

I remember downloading and playing the geometry only map like six months back. This Outpost map could serv me pretty well.

Can wait to report how it runs when I try it.
Preface:
i7 3770k@ OC 4.4
7970 3GB GHz
16GB RAM
and game will be on 7200rp disk
Win 7 64bit

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
Just one round of deathmatch really brought back feelings from the past!
I hardly played any shooters at all since UT2k3, but it all came back when i grabbed the first Flak Cannon :p

The finished stage looks really pretty and the bright light outdoors against the barely lit rooms and corners indoors are a great contrast.

Can't wait to play the finished game (hopefully with Onslaught mode back).

Xyber

Rebind your hotkey, I have it on F1 while prevoiusly was on ~Tilde and it wasn't working.

Where do you rebind it? I tried changing ConsoleKeys to F1 in the Input config and setting it to read only, still does nothing in the game. =/

Thanks in advance.

GTX970, i7 4770K@4,3GHz, 8GB RAM, Win 7

Benchmark from one game on the most demanding map right now (Outpost 23), 8 players and with everything maxed at 1080p. Frametimes are so good even at this early stage of the game. Should be no problem running this at 60FPS with a lot less powerful hardware, especially when just turning down stuff to high for even more frames.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm running it at a mix of high/unreal settings (Gotta tap dat 3gB of vram with the best possible textures) at 1080p.

Specs:

2x2gB 1666mgz RAM
AMD Radeon R9 280X
AMD FX 6300 3.5-4.5GHz (Tri core with 2 threads per core, technically 6 cores)

Frame rate is about 45-60 (haven't measured but it's not hitting 30, ever.)

Haven't played with actual people yet so I'll update with more details later today. Still runni g fantastic for a pre alpha, and it looks absolutely stunning. The engine must be able to utilize CPU cores rather well. The eventual DX12 build should bump me up to a solid 60 if previews are to be believed. Second golden age of gaming incoming.

I really want to be able to play this

but my GPU isn't working atm, so I'm stuck on Intel HD 4600 graphics and this definitely wouldn't run well.

Nokterian

Holy shit! Alexander Brandon?! Michiel van den Bos?!

Yes because Michiel van den bos asked for support if he could tag along again made a sort of petition on the forums and epic came along in that thread and said yes we would love to see you both coming aboard.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really want to be able to play this

but my GPU isn't working atm, so I'm stuck on Intel HD 4600 graphics and this definitely wouldn't run well.

I know your pain. I had to use a Geforce 9600 for a couple of weeks before I could afford to replace my broken GPU :(

Top Bottom