• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament for Windows is now available in Pre-Alpha

If I could get around 30, that would be pretty alright lol With Dirty Bomb which is UE3 I get 30-40, but this being UE4....

It's free though, so trying out won't hurt, yeah.

If I could get around 30, that would be pretty alright lol With Dirty Bomb which is UE3 I get 30-40, but this being UE4....

It's free though, so trying out won't hurt, yeah.

it runs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than dirty bomb, way way better
even with a low detail custom config I get terrible (<<30 fps on a full server and stutter) fps in dirty bomb, while ut4 runs fine on medium-high

edit: oh you have a potato gpu:p
Your cpu is fine, but idk how it'd perform with that gpu...

Grinchy

Banned
Damn this game is so fun. I just wish more of the people hosting servers didn't have such high playercounts. Having 16 people running around is insanely hectic, which is fun from time to time, but it seems like there is a serious lack of 8 player rooms.

Played a couple of bot matches. On Outpost 23 with 8 bots the worst was around 40+, but mostly it was 50-60. Guess could try with more bots.

Going to try online later today.

edit: btw, where's the Ripper?

Miker

Played a couple of bot matches. On Outpost 23 with 8 bots the worst was around 40+, but mostly it was 50-60. Guess could try with more bots.

Going to try online later today.

edit: btw, where's the Ripper?

Back in UT99 and Unreal Championship 2 :(

purdobol

I like the art direction on that map from screenshot. Despite having all those pipes and what not. It still looks clean and visibility is good. Which is important for arena shooter. It looks good with no unnecessary clutter that detracts from gameplay. Many UT3 stock maps had that problem. They looked good but were unplayable.

Durante

I like the art direction on that map from screenshot. Despite having all those pipes and what not. It still looks clean and visibility is good. Which is important for arena shooter. It looks good with no unnecessary clutter that detracts from gameplay. Many UT3 stock maps had that problem. They looked good but were unplayable.
They are explicitly taking a lot of care to maintain visibility in UT4 map design.

Where the fuck is my Linux build?!?!

Edit: Found it

I tried this build out in Mint 17.1, and it runs surprisingly well on my meager 660 with almost all settings maxed out at 1080. There is a small bug with the skybox, as some of the textures appear to be missing outside of the map. This is not really a problem though, as it doesn't affect anything in the actual playing field.

Really hope they get around to making a proper launcher and port the level editor fully to Linux. That seems to be the next thing on their road map...

Here's a screenshot showing what I mean:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qKJaDeM.jpg[/IMG]

Really odd missing textures. I'm not sure if it is just the build of the game I am using or an issue with my video driver... I am not using the latest Nvidia graphics driver on Linux. Just the default one that comes bundled with Mint.

Few other screenshots I took while running the Linux build:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OfErFhN.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hecPvg5.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry about the imgur JPEG compression. But otherwise the game looks really nice under OpenGL. Textures and post processing are being run at high, while the other settings are being run at max.

Also, Online play is working too in Linux.

kd-z

Downloaded it, played through the tutorials and did one bot match. Holy crap it's been a long time since I've performed a rocket jump. Feels good!

Woorloog

Banned
Tried the tutorial and a bot match. Felt pretty good, if no different from its predecessor.
Ugly as sin though, with lowest graphics settings. Runs well though.

EDIT Playing with a laptop, GT630M as gfx card. I could probably run the game with a bit higher settings actually, if i'm willing to sacrifice framerate (which was pretty solid 60 after capping it there, due to overheating concerns i have with this thing).

jediyoshi

Heads up, if you have the $30 they gave out for having had a UE subscription, it works for items in the marketplace. I'm guessing it'll extend out to Fortnite once that goes live.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Game looks great but plays just like its predecessor. Weapon effects/sounds seem ripped straight from the previous version and don't feel impressive, though I'm guessing it's just placeholder stuff for now.

Wonder how it'll distinguish itself from the previous iterations in ways besides graphics?

Phil4000

Have you guys seen Cliff's new area shooter "Bluestreak"

(Direct Feed footage, Pre-Alpha)
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrail...footage-from-cliff-bleszinskis-arena-shooter/

NLD_XvhVbPu-.1200x630.UjabWTf0.jpg

PC Area Shooters are back!
Now we just need a new
Quake Area!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

KOHIPEET

Downloaded it on my GF's new notebook, (lenovo z50-75, fx-7500) and it runs surprisingly well at medium settings and 900p. I've missed UT so much.

Note: I would really love to see the return of dodge-jump. Gave UT2004 a really acrobatic feel.

Run-M-Run

I've been waiting for this since the last UT3 CTF servers died, it's been too long. Finally there will be another Arena shooter.

scitek

Downloaded it and honestly don't give a fuck that most maps aren't textured. Things like HDR lighting make it hard to see someone inside when you're outside, anyway.

Helznicht

Been putting my new rig through its paces with this. My new rig runs this map at a locked 120 FPS, woudln't have believed it until I saw it. I had read that this has very little CPU overhead so I had high hopes this would run very well on my sons older yet upgraded rig (and it does, but there is a weird anomaly I want to track down .

The Gear:

Sons Upgraded PC.
Intel Core 2 Quad Core 3.0 ghz
8 Megs of Ram
MSI GTX 970.

My New Rig
i5 3.5 ghz
8 megs ram
MSI GTX 970 (Same as above)

Inside the building you cant tell them apart. His runs 100-120 FPS consistently. When he goes outside and turns around to look at the building his rig drops to ~ 60 fps, where mine hold a solid 120 (max FPS I have in the settings).

I really didnt think the older CPU and .5 ghz would impact it that much. Not saying its bad for a 6 YO pc with and upgraded video card, but would like to understand what about the exterior drives more CPU overhead on this map.

Guys got any ideas? Is there a way to set max fps to unlimited so I can experiment more?

KOHIPEET

I know the game already has a main menu song and it's not bad at all, but it isn't really giving me that "unreal" vibe.

This one's much better imo.

Lucius86

Banned
I can't get it to play. It keeps switching back to my desktop over and over.

It seems to be a full screen issue, the game is running in the background and I can see it if I hover over the taskbar icon, however if I try to full screen the game it just switches back to desktop.

Is there a way to play this in windowed mode?

I have the same issue, yet the main UE4 editor runs just fine. Did you find a resolution?

On a Radeon HD7950 @ 4K.

KOHIPEET

Now that I have played a decent amount of it, I must say, UT2K4 is still better imo. I just don't feel the hitboxes. Still having hope though.

So according to the Unreal Tournament forums new builds were made available on April 1 and then again on April 9; builds that are presumably superior to the March builds we all tried out in the heart of this thread. Can anyone confirm whether they're worth the download? I would give them a shot but I was waiting for UT to get a little further along before I invested any more time in to it. The March build was slick, fast and cool and everything but it was clearly not as optimised as it could have been (being pre-Alpha and all that) and I got disinterested rather quickly as there were only two fully textured maps available.

Anyone tried the newer April builds yet? Changes that make them worth the download?

nikos

Finally tried this out and I was in ecstasy playing Instagib again.

I REALLY hope the community picks up this time. I was crushed, and still haven't recovered, when UT3 didn't have an Instagib community.

Going to build a new PC for this game. It's already GOAT in pre-alpha. Nothing can match UT Instagib gameplay for me.

Time to buy a real mouse and mouse pad.

nikos

Just played some more Instagib DM. That Morbias level is so good, classic UT. Reminds me of Fractal. That other level with the radiation fan is awesome as well, reminds me of Pressure.

Got some MONSTER KILLS and KILLING SPREES. Felt really good, but I'm still shaking off a lot of rust. I'm also using a crappy wireless mouse + destroyed five year old mouse pad. Going to buy some new peripherals for this alpha.

DirtyLarry

I am building a new PC towards the end of the year and truly cannot wait to check this out.
UT2k4 is my 3rd most played MP game of all time. I played it almost exclusively for a year straight. So the fond memories are very real.
Since I do not have the best of PC's I definitely admit that I have not been following much news related to PC gaming overall, and definitely not much for this game.
Do they plan on bringing Onslaught or Assault modes back for this new game? Or is the focus more DM and CTF?

Top Bottom