• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: The Best Video Games of 2015

Crayolan

I've noticed that most lists from gaming sites feature Mario Maker as their one Nintendo game while lists from non game-focused sites tend to feature Splatoon as their Nintendo top pick, usually alongside other games.

What is with gaming outlets and Mario Maker?

Ferrio

Banned
Did Divinity and Wasteland get in the NPD top 10?

The list just smacks of someone trying to get overertly cool.

Some people just are tired of AAA gaming and prefer indies. None of those games aren't deserving of making a top 10 list.

phanphare

Banned
nice list. I like seeing these non-gaming site lists, most of them have Splatoon as the best Nintendo title released this year which is correct. I feel like the gaming outlets are giving the nod to Super Mario Maker, which kind of makes sense considering the context but Splatoon is in another league imo.

I've noticed that most lists from gaming sites feature Mario Maker as their one Nintendo game while lists from non game-focused sites tend to feature Splatoon as their Nintendo top pick, usually alongside other games.

haha, I noticed the same thing

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
So is this just the year of people putting random indie games on top 10 lists instead of some truly excellent games just to rile some clicks?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I like this guy's list because it seems to be coming from a genuine place even if I don't agree.

Is Sunless Sea really that good?

Sheentak

Wow ive only heard of 6 out of the top 11 games. I feel like im a pretty big enthusiast so i should have heard of these.
Has there been any significant gaf discussion on the lesser known titles?

DrArchon

I get the impression that gaming sites, with their gaming focused fanbases, are in a better position to get a lot out of Mario Maker because they can play fans' levels, have their levels get played and get feedback, etc. Non-gaming sites just have to use the tools that came with Mario Maker, which weren't that great when it launched.

That's my thought anyway.

Geg

Yeah I've noticed that too. Feels like a lot of those focus more on "AAA" games and just throw in Mario Maker as their token Nintendo nominee because it has Mario in the title

phanphare

Banned
I get the impression that gaming sites, with their gaming focused fanbases, are in a better position to get a lot out of Mario Maker because they can play fans' levels, have their levels get played and get feedback, etc. Non-gaming sites just have to use the tools that came with Mario Maker, which weren't that great when it launched.

That's my thought anyway.

and on the flip side I feel like gaming sites would be more critical of the minor gripes with Splatoon vs. a non-gaming site whose opinion might be more like "the game's awesome, who cares?"

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
MGSV getting one step closer to that top spot!

az478XS.gif

Splatoon and Xenoblade X!

az478XS.gif

No mention of that trash Witcher 3!

az478XS.gif

Aaron D.

So is this just the year of people putting random indie games on top 10 lists instead of some truly excellent games just to rile some clicks?

Instead of digging into this I'll just put a positive spin on it and say that I'm over the moon that smaller titles are being recognized from all the major outlets.

Her Story, Sunless Sea, Life Is Strange, Undertale, Prune and more aren't just getting token nods here and there, they're getting multiple mentions from LOTS of outlets.

What a fantastic time to be a gamer.

Myggen

Wait, Simon Parkin? Like ex-eurogamer?

I'm not even mad, Fallout isn't here. I respect the hell out of eurogamer writers. Will read this list.

He still writes for Eurogamer from time to time. He seems to be more of a freelancer now who writes mainly for The New Yorker website and Eurogamer(?). He got a monthly column in The Guardian very recently too.

Omadahl

Banned
Sunless Sea has been on my steam wishlist for a long time now. If it's discounted at all next week, I'm definitely buying it.

He still writes for Eurogamer from time to time. He seems to be more of a freelancer now who writes mainly for The New Yorker website and Eurogamer(?). He got a monthly column in The Guardian very recently too.

Oh, I see. No Fallout makes sense, because I'm pretty sure I saw his byline for the guardian. By Hell yes, Bloodborne.

CHC

Definitely confused by his number 2 since he says "It is, at times, a tonal mélange, and clearly the game has been affected by publisher politics: it ends abruptly and incompletely. Nevertheless, this is the final and full realization of a vision...."

I mean if it were the final and full realization, wouldn't it NOT be clear that the game was affected by publisher politics? I don't know, maybe I'm just biased against MGSV, but it seems like he had all the same criticisms that I did, so who knows what the deal is. I just see that game as being VERY far from ANY kind of realization, let alone a "final and full" one.

I'd love to see the Fallen London setting get another game that shows off the environment, and lore (preferably more visually immersive and character building). It's really a compelling and awesome setting.

The writing certainly is. Outside of Pillars of Eternity I can't think of better writing and general world lore in 2015.

Unfortunately for me it's also a rouge-like and I SUCK at the genre so I ran into a bit of a wall with the game.

Amen to all of this.

Aaron D.

I like this guy's list because it seems to be coming from a genuine place even if I don't agree.

Is Sunless Sea really that good?

The writing certainly is. Outside of Pillars of Eternity I can't think of better writing and general world lore in 2015.

Unfortunately for me it's also a rouge-like and I SUCK at the genre so I ran into a bit of a wall with the game.

Top Bottom