• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: The Best Video Games of 2015

Wow, it's missing some games I would consider like Ori but man this is the most compelling game of the year list i've seen from a professional site. Can't say i've heard of all these games but the ones I know deserve to be there.

So is this just the year of people putting random indie games on top 10 lists instead of some truly excellent games just to rile some clicks?
In 2015, the random indie games are the truly excellent games.

Also, this list has two blockbuster AAA titles in the top five.

Sunless Sea is awesome... Until you inevitably die to poor RNG and it becomes a boring grind trying to regain all the resources you lost.

Did Divinity and Wasteland get in the NPD top 10?

The list just smacks of someone trying to get overertly cool.

oh my god

No. It's just a chap who plays games for a living, therefore he casts a REALLY WIDE NET for the purposes of informing YOU, the (potential) reader, about cool games you may have been unaware. Some of those games happen to be the games he enjoyed more than most others.

Oh, and let's be clear: recommending a game called "Dr. Langeskov, the Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist" isn't someone trying to be cool, it's someone succeeding.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Instead of digging into this I'll just put a positive spin on it and say that I'm over the moon that smaller titles are being recognized from all the major outlets.

Her Story, Sunless Sea, Life Is Strange, Undertale, Prune and more aren't just getting token nods here and there, they're getting multiple mentions from LOTS of outlets.

What a fantastic time to be a gamer.
Since everyone is so quick to assume I hate indies, I completed undertale, meat boy, and xeo drifter this year and liked all of them. I'm just skeptical on the amount of AAA titles being dropped or not mentioned.

DrArchon

Sunless Sea is awesome... Until you inevitably die to poor RNG and it becomes a boring grind trying to regain all the resources you lost.

Can't say that was ever a problem for me, but I played super safe and never died once I had enough resources to care about.

When I first started out? Died a bunch of course, but that's no big deal.

danowat

Banned
oh my god

No. It's just a chap who plays games for a living, therefore he casts a REALLY WIDE NET for the purposes of informing YOU, the (potential) reader, about cool games you may have been unaware. Some of those games happen to be the games he enjoyed more than most others.

This is where it could be a problem, if these are truly the best 10 games he's played this year, then cool.

But if they are just a list of the coolest games that you may not have heard of this year, then.....

Grakl

Simon Parkin has been writing amazing pieces on video games for years, if you're skeptical of this list because it doesn't have enough AAA games you're fuckin hilarious

blackw0lf

That's actually a really good list.

Yea no Witcher 3 is surprising, but It's very possible he just didn't play it.

I know some game reviewers who haven't gotten around to it. Jeremy Parish at US Gamer for one.

Sunless Sea has a bunch of threads on NeoGAF, and the OT went to several pages at least. That's not exactly obscure. I haven't played all of these games, but I've heard or read about all of them, and it's surprising to me that anyone that browses GAF regularly hasn't.

Razzorn34

Since everyone is so quick to assume I hate indies, I completed undertale, meat boy, and xeo drifter this year and liked all of them. I'm just skeptical on the amount of AAA titles being dropped or not mentioned.

But, you seem to also assume that being AAA automatically means a better game. Which couldn't be further from the truth these days. If AAA games would put all of that extra money into better gameplay, then this would probably be true much of the time. Sadly, all we get much of the time is better looking AAA games with crap actual gameplay.

Aaron D.

I've got exactly 2 AAA titles in my GOTY Top 10 list. I don't write for a magazine or website. I'm not looking for clicks. I'm not trying to look cool.

I just had more fun with idies this year. Nothing I set out to do. It's simply where the most action was this year.

Vice

Not everyone cares about AAA games or thinks they're better than smaller titles. Plenty of people genuinely find them sort of boring. It's t the point where it's like blockbuster films and smaller movies on end of year lists.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
But, you seem to also assume that being AAA automatically means a better game. Which couldn't be further from the truth these days. If AAA games would put all of that extra money into better gameplay, then this would probably be true much of the time. Sadly, all we get much of the time is better looking AAA games with crap gameplay.
But Witcher 3 had better gameplay than rapture tho.

That's actually a really good list.

Yea no Witcher 3 is surprising, but It's very possible he just didn't play it.

I know some game reviewers who haven't gotten around to it. Jeremy Parish at US Gamer for one.

Not every critic liked it either. See Rich Stanton's tweets for the Game Awards for example.

This is where it could be a problem, if these are truly the best 10 games he's played this year, then cool.

But if they are just a list of the coolest games that you may not have heard of this year, then.....

No, I didn't mean to imply that's why Simon wrote the list. It's clearly meant to be a list of the best games of the year in the writer's estimation.

I just resent the notion that it's an exercise in being trendy. Like, nah, you will always get far more out of even just the assumption that the piece is 100% sincere.

Decent list. It's nice to see someone with a top ten that isn't the same as the others with a need to "at least throw in [AAA title]".

Catvoca

Banned
Wow, it's been such a crazy year for games, I haven't even heard of their number 1 pick. The list is pretty far from my own tastes but it's cool to see so many smaller games be talked about on such a huge platform, especially for the devs. I doubt From software or CD Project Red would care too much about being given an accolade in the New York Times, but for the handful of people who worked on Her Story, I imagine it means a whole lot them.

A cool list, it's unfortunate people on the internet don't know how to handle people with different opinions. I mean if he didn't like Witcher/Fallout/Life is Strange he must have an agenda right? He can't just have his own outlook on videogames, what if that invalidates my opinion? It's sad really.

SarusGray

"Hidetaka Miyazaki’s latest finds treasure within cliché. The aesthetic is familiar gothic horror. The diseased town of Yharnam, with its blood-slicked cobblestones, flickering oil lamps, and spindly iron fencing, is inhabited by assorted eldritch monsters—rabid Dobermans, hoe-wielding peasants, fat Hitchcockian crows—which you attack using a Victorian blade-cum-blunderbuss. The game’s structure, however, is idiosyncratic. As in Miyazaki’s earlier games, Yharnam pieces together like a grand and elegant contraption, interlocking in unexpected but pleasing ways via corridors and ladders. The director’s interest in arcane storytelling, told in half-whispers by the characters you meet and the props you find, captivates, as does the game’s combat. Bloodborne subverts the prevailing wisdom that contemporary video games must mollycoddle their players and quash mystery."

New Yorker never disappoints. They have such interesting writers.

matmanx1

His paragraph explaining his picks also said that he picked games that he thought were particularly "innovative" and based on that criteria, I can see why The Witcher 3 was not included and some of these more experimental games were.

Just because it didn't make his personal list doesn't mean it's any less good, it just means that, for whatever reason, it didn't meet his criteria for GoTY.

blackw0lf

The other thing is that there's been an insane amount of high quality games. Each of those games listed have a legitimate claim to a best of list.

Meier

I swear, the lack of cultural awareness of some of the posters on this board is STAGGERING. Not being aware of The New Yorker or assuming they're publishing clickbait Top 10s is amazing to me.

Cool list -- lots of stuff I'm not familiar with. I like seeing a variety of things get recognition.

lord

Nice list that actually highlights shit i've never heard about that looks interesting, instead of circlejerking the same 3 games

Sunless Sea is probably one of the best spiritual successors to Lovecraft's work, that along with Bloodborne. Completely deserved its spot.

patapuf

Sunless sea has been sitting in my wishlist for a while, it looks awesome. There's so much to play this year.. so much.

He explicitly states that he is looking for games that expand the medium. Games like Witcher, Halo, and Fallout all are rather iterative. Additionally he also states about the sheer quantity of games to sift through and how it is impossible to play everything. The fact that he is bringing up games that people haven't heard of is commendable. It gives you all a chance to try something that he believes is worthy of your time that you might not have otherwise considered.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
No Life is Strange. No Witcher. No Fallout. No Ori.

This is a bad list that reads like someone has an agenda.

Yes, he has an agenda. To list out his favorite games of 2015.

Actually no his agenda was to RUIN GAMING AS WE KNOW IT! QUICK, TO TWITTER TO EXPOSE THE COLLUSION!!!!

natertots

I find it kind of odd that Witcher 3 didn't even make list. It's not my personal GOTY or anything but I still think it should certainly be up there with the best games of the year. Even if you don't like the game you have to respect how epic it is in so many areas.

Maybe they're just trying to be edgy or the people involved didn't like the Witcher 3. Oh well the game is certainly getting the recognition it deserves elsewhere.

Grakl

I find it kind of odd that Witcher 3 didn't even make list. It's not my personal GOTY or anything but I still think it should certainly be up there with the best games of the year. Even if you don't like the game you have to respect how epic it is in so many areas.

Maybe they're just trying to be edgy or the people involved didn't like the Witcher 3. Oh well the game is certainly getting the recognition it deserves elsewhere.
Oh yes, the New Yorker posted this list for the edge

Top Bottom