• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The next Xbox is already being designed" Senior Editor of WC says.

im_shocked.gif

I hope the next Xbox has a less cool codename than Scorpio, so I won't feel eventually disappointed when the actual console has a boring name. Sony is even worse. I feel like I'm going to be playing a PlayStation 9 someday.

giphy.gif

Guess the Xbox EXCLUSIVE! Most Powerful Console(tm) wasn't as powerful as we wanted and are back to the drawing board.

You know, the usual business.

ncslamm

Not sure what else can be done besides making it more powerful. I would rather this gen keep going for 5 more years.

I'd say MS would drop any reference to the 'One' in their next gen console, so I doubt it will be XB1XS or something like that.

Seeing how 2020 will be the 20 years since the OG Xbox was announced maybe the name will reflect that depending on when it launches.

Xbox 20
Xbox Platinum (Modern 20th wedding anniversary symbol)
Xbox Emerald (green, and also considered a 20th wedding anniversary symbol)

Or maybe it will reflect it's closer relationship to Microsoft Windows, and PC gaming.

DirectXbox
Xbox PCX
Xbox Xti

Or perhaps they'll just refer to it in terms of the generation it represents in the Xbox family.

Xbox 3
Xbox III

Or they'll try to revive the good will and memories of Gen 2.

Xbox 360X

Bioshocker

Of course. Sony started working on PS4 in 2008 according to Cerny, and One X and One S were developed side by side. I hope we won't see the new Xbox until 2020, though.

I'm done with Xbox unless they can make some good exclusives... maybe some top quality JRPGS. I mean my box right now is just scratching dust until a new halo game. I'm more excited about a potential ps5.

Next you wanna tell me they have already plans for the iPhone 9 even tho iPhone 8 isnt even out yet and Nintendo is already working on the NEW 2DS XXL Knuckles.

I think the Xbox One X was envisaged as a next-gen console, but Microsoft learnt that they couldn't launch a next-gen machine without Sony because publishers were not going to make next gen games for the manufacturer with a smaller market share. Also, Xbox Two will benefit in sales numbers if it launches in the same launch window as PS5 because of the hype and publishers able to convert games.

News of Xbox Two before XBO X launches without any exclusive games may indicate Microsoft is not fully behind it.

I don't think publishers will initially make exclusive games for the X1X but I do believe some publishers will make games which look better on the X1X. Here is why I think they will do this:

1) It looks like it's fairly easy to make a game run in 4K on the X1X. I think a lot of games will do this because it will take very little work (probably a couple of hours of development work plus some testing).

2) I think some games which release on consoles and PCs will take advantage of the X1X's extra power. On PC, you have different graphics settings for different types of computers (low, medium, high, ultra). I think some publishers will use lower quality textures and models on the X1 and PS4. They will use higher resolution textures and higher quality models on the X1X because it has more memory bandwidth, more RAM and a more powerful GPU. This will cost very little because they will already be creating the high quality assets for the PC version of the game.

I also think Microsoft's own titles will take advantage of the X1X's extra horse power because Microsoft knows you have to create software to sell your hardware.

Mexen

It only makes sense. I think the concentration will be on bettering One X but if R & D makes great strides, then Microsoft will abandon the One brand and focus on building it a traditional new generation. Otherwise, you will get an Xbox One 8[K]

GLAMr

I'd say MS would drop any reference to the 'One' in their next gen console, so I doubt it will be XB1XS or something like that.

Seeing how 2020 will be the 20 years since the OG Xbox was announced maybe the name will reflect that depending on when it launches.

Xbox XX confirmed! :D

ResoRai

Not really saying all that much. The PS5 is in development right now as well.
You'd be surprised. I had a conversation on another site with someone about the One X being Microsoft's last console. Was actually an ok conversation, but his viewpoints were stuck in like the Ballmer days. Thought MS would drop consoles and only focus on PC in the future due to the (old) rumors and their change of being xbox/pc focused.

Talked to em a bit about Nadella, Panos, Microsoft's "premium hardware" (Surface, Hololens, Bands, recently Xbox, etc.), and so forth.

This tweet is actually news to some.

ZOONAMI

I'm more excited about next Gen Tegra switch. I think we will get it by 2020. Nintendo going full iterative. Switch will play all switch 2 just scaled down. Switch 3 will drop switch 1 support and so on.

But yeah this is actually kind of news as there had been a lot of speculation MS would drop Xbox going forward.

Of course they are. Their hardware and engineering teams don't go on hiatus for 3 year and then magically pull out a new hardware of out their hat in one year... This is a none story.

Famassu

Next you are going to tell me PlayStation 5/Next/Whuevahz is being R&Dd as we speak as well. That would be madness!

Withnail

I'm mean this should be obvious, but given how unprepared they were in 2013 maybe it shouldn't be taken for granted. 🤔

Sorcerer

Game companies are always testing future capabilities. Their R&D is millions of dollars—I imagine they've already seen what next next next next generation will look like.

I think they can only think one generation ahead. They need to see what tech is out there and wait for it to become more cost effective for their needs. Anything else is speculation on paper/or wishful thinking until the proper time.

Lucifon

Deeke[VRZ];243303930 said:
Microsoft even admitted that they're thinking about the next console. I like Jez but I think he states obvious stuff quite often.
I tried following him on Twitter but had to unfollow after a couple of days.

unrealist

I think the next Xbox gonna be damn great, able to play titles from Windows store, perhaps sideload Steam, up-gradable hardware parts such as RAM, GPU. Can connect external accessories such as keyboard and mouse. And also can do your office work with MS Office, surf the net.

Nice, Already knew it was coming but its good to get it clarified..I've read many comments in here about XBX1X probably being the last Xbox so its good to hear this. I hope MS goes all out with design and tech..also Jez says Phil has heard people's complaints about 1st Party Studios/offerings "loud and clear".

Top Bottom