• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The next Xbox is already being designed" Senior Editor of WC says.

No shit.

They've probably been planning it since before the XOX was conceived too, since they couldn't realistically be intending to not have a true next gen console to compete with the PS5.

If they just try to release another iterative console based on the same massively outdated, near decade old XO architecture, the massive gulf in game quality and complexity between them and Sony's would bury them.

Didn't The Evil Within developer a few years ago predict that there wouldn't be a next generation console? Just a TV and a controller?

Which is probably also something the Xbox hardware team is looking at. They have to look a few years into the future and see what is possible by then.

Having tried the Nvidia streaming thing I'm convinced it's going to be a option on the future for those that want a easy to access experience, with a local box available for those that want it.

cireza

That's unbelievable.

I thought that all the persons working at designing Xbox hardware would go for 1 or 2 years of paid vacations.

leeh

People are saying no shit, but then when the PS5 gets announced and released for '19 and the Xbox is not far off it, people will say its reactionary.

At least they're not pulling out of the console industry ey?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I always thought r&d at any company just peaced out for five years after a console released.

Of course it is they are now on a never ending cycle until something goes wrong or Dell & other companies step in & take over the hardware side of making the multimedia computers.

Dell & other companies will bite at some point.

Amazing. Microsoft are planning the next Xbox just so they can get out of the business, lol.

When sony comes out with a PS5, there is no way MS can force the industry to continue to support XB1 and Scorpio and indefinitely tie their games down. they know that, which is why they are focused on a new machine .

Backwards compatibility yes, forwards compatibility no

The OG X1 will be dropped when the successor to the X1X comes out, but the X1X will continue to be supported. That's how I see it playing out from what they've said about the direction they're going in, with their "no more generations" talk.

Hermii

No shit.

They've probably been planning it since before the XOX was conceived too, since they couldn't realistically be intending to not have a true next gen console to compete with the PS5.

If they just try to release another iterative console based on the same massively outdated, near decade old XO architecture, the massive gulf in game quality and complexity between them and Sony's would bury them.

What is so outdated about the XO architecture? I give you the esram, but that was fixed with xox.

Just Switch out the cpu with ryzen, the gpu with a marginally newer gpu, gddr5 with gddr6 snd you are good to go.

Compsiox

Banned
I hope they pull a Halo 2 with Halo 6.

They'll have it on Xbox One and Xbox One X for a year or 2 and then also port it to the new xbox.

They'll already have the 4k assets and shit so it would run at 60FPS in 4k on Xbox 2.

Perfect.

SOR5

Wont be surprised if plenty of these cries of 'That's obvious' were the same people saying XOX will be the last Xbox

Hermii

Wont be surprised if plenty of these cries of 'That's obvious' were the same people saying XOX will be the last Xbox

I haven't actually seen anyone saying XOX is the last xbox. I seen people speculate this is the last traditional generation for MS, only incremental upgrades from now on. Meaning all your games, controllers and accessories won't be obsolete.

Just wait. Media will probably pick up this tweet after finding it on Neogaf, and report it as news.

Actually, the tweet is from a windowscentral reporter, which is one of the biggest Microsoft related media site in the world(actually, calling it "one of the..." might be an understatement. The thread exists because of the tweet and the tweet IS from media.

I hope they pull a Halo 2 with Halo 6.

They'll have it on Xbox One and Xbox One X for a year or 2 and then also port it to the new xbox.

They'll already have the 4k assets and shit so it would run at 60FPS in 4k on Xbox 2.

Perfect.

I'm pretty sure Halo 6 will be forward compatible. Just let Halo 6 run on max pc setting on Xbox two.

Considering Xbox1 X is relatively very powerful it will be interesting to see if MS wants ro release their next gen machine simultaneously with Sony or wait like a year or so to try one up them on hardware.

I personally have no idea which would be better for them in the long run.

So that means XboxOnexXx IS NOT the most powerful console on the planet...

Thinking_Face_Emoji_grande.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you don't say... lol they probably started working on it real soon after XB1 launched. same goes for Sony. they'll have been working on it since PS4 launched.

PS4 pro/XB1X are just mid gen refreshes.

pitchfork

Phil Spencer and Mike Ybarra already confirmed this on twitter some time ago

Name guessing game - Xbox XXX "For the hardcore"

But how is MS ever going to build up its first party software lineup when all they do is concentrate on hardware!?

That why you have a Hardware and Software divisions within the same corp. It makes sense for any corp to start work on a successor very early in. I believe SEGA started working on the Dreamcast before the Saturn even hit Japan.

These days it even more important that your rival doesn't a get a headstart on a console launch

Glad this is the case. Microsoft needs to stay in the game. The big three need to keep each other on their toes. The more competition, the better for us.

Top Bottom