• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The next Xbox is already being designed" Senior Editor of WC says.

No shit.

They've probably been planning it since before the XOX was conceived too, since they couldn't realistically be intending to not have a true next gen console to compete with the PS5.

If they just try to release another iterative console based on the same massively outdated, near decade old XO architecture, the massive gulf in game quality and complexity between them and Sony's would bury them.
The iterative bit isn't about iterating on the same architecture, it's about releasing a new console using the same development platform.

If anything being on an iterative cycle allows them to have a machine that outperforms ps5, because they can have the Xbone 2 at $500 and still have xbonex at $300 or so.

gaming_noob

I think the next Xbox will be stronger than PS5 even with similar release dates. That's just the feeling MS seems to be giving off with how they are treating the XB1X and their increased focus on power.

I think this will be the case as well. Huge pressure on MS now to have the more powerful HW from here on out.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is exciting.
MS design team is on a roll lately. They design some of the most beautiful hardware I've seen.

Yeah, I don't see them matching PS5 release date, not with them pushing out the $499 X at the end of this year. So unless Sony hold on and release PS5 much later then expected, I think the next Xbox will come a year or 2 after PS5, so it would be more powerful.

Guess we will be seeing a back and fourth with who has the most power from now on then.

Yep! That's what I'm thinking as well. The additional power most likely won't make a huge difference, but it'll be a bragging point for PR people for sure. I wonder if they'd continue their approach with the Xbox One X in that case. Announce the new hardware over a year early to try and fight against Sony's hardware that releases first.

This. The XBOX that follows the launch of this one should release after the Playstation 5 should almost dictate that the tech inside should be more powerful. Why would it not be that way? Wouldn't make any sense.

Edit: Also, for me, what I need an XBOX console to have for it are games I can't play on a Playstation. Good ones, and I'm likely in on it at some point if not at launch. Same reasons I buy Playstation consoles when they come out. I like the games on there that I can't play on XBOX.

Yeah, I've definitely seen plenty of different mindsets in relation to Xbox. I fully understand people who have a PS4/PC and don't see the value in owning one. I only play on consoles, so I've dedicated my Xbox as my third party machine which makes it worthwhile for me. It's basically my living-room PC in a way, so they've got me hooked on each new iteration.

When sony comes out with a PS5, there is no way MS can force the industry to continue to support XB1 and Scorpio and indefinitely tie their games down. they know that, which is why they are focused on a new machine .

Backwards compatibility yes, forwards compatibility no
I agree that they can't possibly force support indefinitely, which is why they won't.

But it will be the developers choice and on a per game basis. Initially developers themselves will make sure their games run on all machines because of the bigger sales, and when the new console user base gets big enough they will gradually focus on targeting that machine and require people to upgrade. But even so, other developer would still make games that runs on the whole spectrum.

This. The XBOX that follows the launch of this one should release after the Playstation 5 should almost dictate that the tech inside should be more powerful. Why would it not be that way? Wouldn't make any sense.

Edit: Also, for me, what I need an XBOX console to have for it are games I can't play on a Playstation. Good ones, and I'm likely in on it at some point if not at launch. Same reasons I buy Playstation consoles when they come out. I like the games on there that I can't play on XBOX.
That makes little sense. Since PS2 Playstation consoles have always had shitty launch window lineups, Xbone's was much better and had some great games you couldn't play on PS4 such as Garden Warfare.

I agree that they can't possibly force support indefinitely, which is why they won't.

But it will be the developers choice and on a per game basis. Initially developers themselves will make sure their games run on all machines because of the bigger sales, and when the new console user base gets big enough they will gradually focus on targeting that machine and require people to upgrade. But even so, other developer would still make games that runs on the whole spectrum.

I'm really curious to see how the scenario of a PS5 releasing about a year before Xbox Two would play out. Would both the One S and the One X be stuck with "last gen" versions of games, or would the One X have just enough "oomph" to serve as a "next gen" competitor in the meantime? That would also have to mean that devs would start treating Xbox One X as the new "base" console, going against Microsoft's initial marketing promises.

Interesting times ahead!

Falchion

You've got to figure that both the next Xbox and Playstation are being designed right now. I just hope the release isn't for at least 2 more years.

I dont think anyone should be shocked that next gen is already in development, but it is cool to hear there is a code name...wish we knew what it was. Scorpio 2

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
That makes little sense. Since PS2 Playstation consoles have always had shitty launch window lineups, Xbone's was much better and had some great games you couldn't play on PS4 such as Garden Warfare.

I'm not sure I entirely follow. I mean, what I am essentially saying is that I need reasons to buy both consoles. For me, that should come down to the exclusives available on each company's machine, even if not available initially. Then, whichever is the most powerful becomes my primary machine.

Playstation 2 had a lot of games I couldn't play on XBOX, and was more powerful. Back then, that was my primary gaming console and I enjoyed both systems for their exclusives. The XBOX Mostly collected dust, but I did play it.

XBOX 360 had a LOT of games I couldn't play on Playstation and it was also more powerful than the Playstation 3:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games

I played the hell out of that system, and the PS3 went on mostly collecting dust, but I enjoyed the exclusives on both systems.

Playstation 4/Playstation 4 Pro have plenty of exclusives which XBOX One doesn't have and is until this coming November. It has been my primary gaming console. I've enjoyed exclusives on both systems, but come November, the XBOX One X will be primary due to power. I will still be playing plenty of Playstation 4 due to the exclusives, and there are quite a few of them.

i had to assume so. The scorpio at the end of the day is still an xbox one. although him saying it may just be an iteration of the XBOX and that generations are over at microsoft is the more interesting news.

jelly

I think the next Xbox will be stronger than PS5 even with similar release dates. That's just the feeling MS seems to be giving off with how they are treating the XB1X and their increased focus on power.

Depends if they want to go toe to toe or a year later or so. They both have smart engineers aiming for a time frame and budget, Sony gambled with GDDR5 for PS4 and it paid off but if that wasn't as much of a gamble and Microsoft wasn't focused on TV TV TV, I imagine they would be almost identical, even so they are so close because smart people on a budget tend to fall on the same solutions as that's just the tech available at the time.

I do think Microsoft are trying to position Xbox back to the most powerful and will probably try to hold onto that but would they give Sony a free year and try to do something along the lines of what Sony did to hype the PS2 against the Dreamcast. Maybe it doesn't actually matter, PlayStation has it's place and Microsoft can chip away at it, they aren't going to win over many millions instantly so stick to a steady plan, make good hardware and don't rush it to match Sony on release.

The iterative bit isn't about iterating on the same architecture, it's about releasing a new console using the same development platform.

If anything being on an iterative cycle allows them to have a machine that outperforms ps5, because they can have the Xbone 2 at $500 and still have xbonex at $300 or so.

Except any games designed to run on both systems will be fundamentally compromised by the limitations the XOX has because of it being an iteration of the, by that point, ancient XO design.

We might see a few more cross gen titles if the XOX really takes off in an unexpected manner, but, even then, the difference in quality and complexity between them and games designed for a true next gen console packing a Ryzen CPU will make them seem incredibly dated, far more so than between the 7th and 8th gen cross releases.

If that's the case for all Xbox first party titles, struggling to make sure everything keeps running on those weak jaguar CPU's, they'd pretty much be handing next gen to Sony straight out the gate, possibly even more so than they did this gen, since they'd also be deliberately holding back their first and second party game developers soley for the sake of chasing the mobile industry's 'hardware refresh' model.

Top Bottom