• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

-Stranger-

So i'm revisiting my childhood and re-bought a N64 on ebay. I sold mine when i was around 10 years old for a PS1 :(
I got a pretty good deal on it it just doesn't come with AV's or a controller. I bought a controller seperately (Ice Blue) advertised as having a 9/10 joystick and barely used. I'll just use my GCN AV's on it.

My console also doesn't had anything where the expansion pack goes, i have an expansion pack so will that work with all games?

Picked up a few of my old fav games already:

Mischief Makers (boxed)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (boxed, with manual)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Cart only)
Pilotwings 64 (cart only)

I live in Australia and some games are extremely rare and pricey. The following games are currently fetching $200-500 on ebay! It sucks because i never got to play these later titles.

Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo-Tooie

D-e-f-

Banned
My console also doesn't had anything where the expansion pack goes, i have an expansion pack so will that work with all games?

Just put it in there. All you need is something in the slot. The expansion pack does nothing for games that don't support it. But since they don't need it ...they don't ..well ...need it :D

illadelph

What is this?

1175587_10151674665503087_954776035_n.jpg

This is like the ultimate N64 collector's piece. So much nostalgia from this pic.

I am so glad that I got to experience so much of the Nintendo 64 as a child. This console has quite literally made me into the gamer that I am today. Without the Nintendo 64, I probably would not be on any video game forums and would likely not be playing video games to this date.

When I think of gaming's magic, I think of this system. There were so many games I enjoyed playing on the system, disregarding them "not aging well", "shovelware" or "inferior port". It was a time when I just had a blast with gaming and liked whatever I played (I even, yes, enjoyed Superman 64 when I briefly played it, actually curious about replaying it to see how bad it is). Although to be fair, I was really blinded in nostalgia back then.

This console brought me some of my all-time favorite video games; with the most notable being Super Mario 64 and Super Smash Bros.. Super Mario 64 had me in awed as I sunk myself into the game for a few hours every time I played it. When I think of an epic Mario game, this game comes straight into my mind. Super Smash Bros. was my favorite installment in one of my very most favorite video game series. Surprisingly, I never unlocked Ness or Luigi with my N64 cartridge. Along with games like Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Party, Banjo-Tootie, Donkey Kong 64, and others, I could not get enough of the console.

Sadly, my original N64 died in November, 2007 when my dad accidentally broke it. I have since not gotten a replacement, though I have always wanted one. While I have played some N64 games on the Virtual Console, it just isn't the same. Six years have passed and now I have to money to finally get the system for an affordable price and snatch some games along with it. I look forward to that day when I finally get to own another Nintendo 64.

This console has brought me many of my favorite gaming memories and in a way, brings me back to the past when I was at my most optimistic about gaming. The Nintendo 64 made gaming into my favorite hobby and for that, it has remained as my all-time favorite video game system and will likely be so for years to come. I can already list off a ton of games for the system I want without much effort.

Edit: I really like how some N64 sellers put so much into selling their console. Like this deal over here has fifteen games for under $100, which is a really neat deal. Would totally get this one, but I am going to search around and see if I can get an even better deal (and on other sites aside from eBay as well to keep my options open, heard craigslist is a good place).

To those who hadn't followed sales of video games before they started to discuss video games, was anyone else surprised to see the Nintendo 64 get outsold by the PlayStation by such a large margin?

Back in 1999-early 2000s, almost everyone I knew had a 5th gen console had a Nintendo 64 and comparison, I can only remember a few that had a PlayStation (and no one with a Sega Saturn). I do remember the system being very popular and I still see it being used to this day (my dental office last time I checked had a N64 available to play with and I use it every time I go there).

So when I first discovered the Internet and found out about sales for the Nintendo 64, needless to say, I was very surprised to see the PlayStation seriously outdo the N64 and that the N64 did poorly in Japan (even the Saturn outsold it there). I wonder how sales for North America were so good?

Anth0ny

To those who hadn't followed sales of video games before they started to discuss video games, was anyone else surprised to see the Nintendo 64 get outsold by the PlayStation by such a large margin?

Back in 1999-early 2000s, almost everyone I knew had a 5th gen console had a Nintendo 64 and comparison, I can only remember a few that had a PlayStation (and no one with a Sega Saturn). I do remember the system being very popular and I still see it being used to this day (my dental office last time I checked had a N64 available to play with and I use it every time I go there).

So when I first discovered the Internet and found out about sales for the Nintendo 64, needless to say, I was very surprised to see the PlayStation seriously outdo the N64 and that the N64 did poorly in Japan (even the Saturn outsold it there). I wonder how sales for North America were so good?

I definitely was. No one I knew had a Playstation, or at least they didn't bring up any cool games they were playing on it. N64 seemed like the hottest shit on Earth. It seemed like my entire school was playing Mario, Zelda or Pokemon Stadium at home, then I'd get together with various groups of friends to play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Smash, Mario Party, Mario Tennis and THPS. I never felt like I needed another console that gen, not for a minute. Then the following gen happened... and it felt like everyone had a PS2 during the early 2000s.

What a great system N64 is.

Anywho, I got this dumb idea and I need some help. I'm going to attempt to play and beat (credits roll) every NA released N64 game, in the order in which they were released. I just finished Pilotwings 64 and have finished SM64 at least 50 times, so I have launch day out of the way! My question is... what's next?

Well, I know what's next. Kinda. I can find a list of games no problem, and even the year which they were released. But I'm having a hell of a time finding a list with specific release dates for N64 titles. Anyone know what the third N64 game released was after Pilotwings and Mario 64? Or better yet, does a site exist that lists each game in chronological order, from Mario 64 to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3? It would be greatly appreciated ^_^

mrlion

I've always had a fascination for the 64DD which unfortunately never had the money to get it. Back in the day it was still rather "cheap" to get it but nowadays the collection fall in the thousands of dollars...

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
So I just started playing Ocarina of Time for the first time today. I'm so ashamed that it's taken me this long to get to it. Feels bad man. This game is utterly amazing. The music and sense of adventure is god tier.

I just had a complete laugh out loud moment when I played Saria's song to the head Goron which prompted him to spontaneously start dancing.

I've always had a fascination for the 64DD which unfortunately never had the money to get it. Back in the day it was still rather "cheap" to get it but nowadays the collection fall in the thousands of dollars...

Same. I remember drooling over photos of it in game magazines at the time. The N64 looks great stacked up on that disk drive tower of power. I'm definitely keen to get one one day. Finding a new one complete in a box is going to be challenging though

Fox Mulder

I definitely was. No one I knew had a Playstation, or at least they didn't bring up any cool games they were playing on it. N64 seemed like the hottest shit on Earth. It seemed like my entire school was playing Mario, Zelda or Pokemon Stadium at home, then I'd get together with various groups of friends to play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Smash, Mario Party, Mario Tennis and THPS. I never felt like I needed another console that gen, not for a minute. Then the following gen happened... and it felt like everyone had a PS2 during the early 2000s.

Anywho, I got this dumb idea and I need some help. I'm going to attempt to play and beat (credits roll) every NA released N64 game, in the order in which they were released. I just finished Pilotwings 64 and have finished SM64 at least 50 times, so I have launch day out of the way! My question is... what's next?

Well, I know what's next. Kinda. I can find a list of games no problem, and even the year which they were released. But I'm having a hell of a time finding a list with specific release dates for N64 titles. Anyone know what the third N64 game released was after Pilotwings and Mario 64? Or better yet, does a site exist that lists each game in chronological order, from Mario 64 to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3? It would be greatly appreciated ^_^

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

sorts games by year and month released, but you still have to click each game to see their specific date. Mortal Kombat Trilogy came out third on October 31, 1996 in NA.

It's funny, but with the C-buttons, the N64 controller kinda-sorta did have the six-button layout I loved so much about the Saturn. But, pretty much no fighting games came to the system to make use of it. Heck, Street Fighter Alpha 2 went to the SNES, but not the N64...

Seik

Banned

OMG!!!

Memories, I remember playing this at a Burger King when it came out when everyone in junior high, including myself, was crazy hyped for Pokemon. It's just a painful reminder of how adequate Pokemon Snap would be for the Wii U and the Gamepad, I really hope they'll do something with this concept.

/sequelbegging

Finally got my N64 awhile back. Words cannot describe how happy I am to get it back.

The Nintendo 64 made me love the concept of multi-player and looking at it retrospectively, made me appreciate local multi-player a lot more (especially with them becoming more uncommon). I never owned Goldeneye 007 and Mario Kart 6 as a child, but I do have many fond memories of playing those games when I could and multi-player with my brother and cousin was a blast; even if I ended up losing all the time back then.

Speaking of which, tonight my older cousin walked by my house to see that I was playing Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64. He was shocked to see that I had another N64 considering that it was a old console. We played a race where I obliterated him in a race; a sharp contrast from a long time ago (a mix of him not having played a N64 game in forever and me getting a lot better in video games). After that, my older brother walked in and was also pleased to see the N64 was back in the house while me and my cousin decided to take turns in Super Mario 64. Of course my copy of Super Mario 64 came with one 120 stars completion save and my cousin fooled around a little with the overworld before hitting the snow stage (which he failed every time, which shows rustiness more than anything). Afterwards, we went to the final stage where I took over and finally "beat" the game (by reaching the credit screen). It was a great night and he still has his copy of Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye 007. Hoping someday soon to get some match-ups for these games going because it has been god knows how long since I've last played them.

My brother also saw that I got a copy of Blast Corps as well; which he remembers as well. I thought this game was going to be an entirely new experience for me, until I heard a familiar world map theme and then saw the similar car selection screen, then realized I played the game a very long time ago; if only briefly. So far I like it a lot, though I need to play it more often.

Teknoman

Finally beat Mischief Makers. Treasure sucks for making you have to pay to see the full ending though. Guess that'll give me motivation to try to get the rest of the gold diamonds.

Still not sure whats up with Leo and that monolith thing. I know Treasure loves its sentient inanimate objects as antagonists...but it didnt seem like it was some ancient force controlling things. Just a old scientist standing behind a black block.

They usually put some sort of small back story or explanation behind stuff like this.

daydream

Banned
Finally added Mario Golf and Mario Tennis to my collection. While I liked Tennis on the Gamecube, I still slightly prefer the N64 originals, especially Golf.

Not too many more titles to go now, I guess? Smash Bros. is an obvious gap to fill. I want to get ahold of Mario Party 1 and 3. Perfect Dark and Banjo 1/2 I own on XBLA, the Zeldas I have on that Gamecube bonus disc, so they don't have top priority right now. Sin & Punishment as well as Ogre Battle I got on VC.

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for Bomberman 64, Snowboard Kids, Goemon's Great Adventure, some racing games (Cruis'n, Beetle Adventure), Rocket: Robot on Wheels and maybe Goldeneye.

Rich!

Hmmmm. I have a funny feeling my RGB n64 might turn up tomorrow.

Please mr postman, don't let me down. Or I'll punch you in the face.

boyshine

A friend asked me to find an N64 for her.. holy Rakuga Kids how the prices for the Watermelon/Pink N64 consoles have gone up since I last checked.. :O Complete sets (even without box) seem extremely rare.

Rich!

Yeah, I'm aware of all that - but my camera phone sucks ass. My Nikon DSLR is great for taking shots off CRT screens, but my dad pretty much permanently has it.

Anyway, some more shots of RGB N64 goodness below before I lug this TV to the rubbish tip in preparation for my new 29" 4:3 Sony goddamn beast of a CRT I'm getting for £5. I would have kept the one I've got now, but the colours only last a few minutes before going increasingly pink until there's nothing left but overwhelming bloody pink.

Again, apologies for the shitty phone camera:

spadge

After recently discovering the entirety of my game collection from my childhood is boxed and in near perfect condition, I thought I'd try and add to it. There's a few glaring holes in my N64 collection, mainly games like SM64, kart, and Banjo Kazooie that I borrowed from friends rather than owning myself.

Here's my list, with what I own crossed off. Can anyone think of anything I've missed off that's worth adding?

[ ]Mario 64
[ ]Mario Kart 64
[ ]Goldeneye
[X]Zelda: Ocarina of time
[X]Zelda: Majora's Mask
[ ]Super Smash Bros
[ ]Diddy Kong Racing
[X]Pokemon Stadium
[ ]Pokemon Stadium 2
[ ]Pokemon Snap
[X]Donkey Kong 64
[ ]Starfox 64
[ ]Perfect Dark
[ ]Banjo-Kazooie
[ ]Banjo-Tooie
[ ]Conker's Bad Fur Day
[X]Jet Force Gemini
[ ]Waverace 64
[ ]Yoshi Story
[ ]Mario Tennis
[ ]Mario Party
[ ]Mario Party 2
[ ]Mario Party 3
[X]Kirby 64
[ ]Tony Hawk
[X]Tony Hawk 2
[X]1080 snowboarding
[ ]Turok
[ ]Turok 2
[X]Turok Rage Wars
[ ]Pilotwings 64
[X]F-Zero X
[X]Castlevaina 64
[X]Buck Bumble
[X]Racing Simulator Monaco

daydream

Banned
After recently discovering the entirety of my game collection from my childhood is boxed and in near perfect condition, I thought I'd try and add to it. There's a few glaring holes in my N64 collection, mainly games like SM64, kart, and Banjo Kazooie that I borrowed from friends rather than owning myself.

Here's my list, with what I own crossed off. Can anyone think of anything I've missed off that's worth adding?

For starters, I would add Blast Corps, Mischief Makers and Pokemon Puzzle League.

How is Buck Bumble btw? First time I've heard of it.

I hate that there are no good emulators for the N64. Project64 sucks and dosnt run a lot of games and you always have to fiddle with the settings to make stuff work.

Rich!

I hate that there are no good emulators for the N64. Project64 sucks and dosnt run a lot of games and you always have to fiddle with the settings to make stuff work.

Yep. And even when you do get it tweaked to your liking, the games are emulated so innacurately it fucks up the experience.

One of the main reasons why modded real hardware is the best bet for N64. It's not like the SNES where BSNES or the Wii VC is a viable alternative.

Mischief Makers and Ogre Battle 64

The N64 is the reason my backlog keeps growing and growing. There are several games that I regret not buying - Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Pilotwings 64, and Conker and probably others. Because I never got to play these games I now buy games that I probably will never play due to the fear I may not be able to acquire them in the future.

My backlog is huge now.

Am I the only one who actually kind of likes the color scheme of that N64?

I mean, I'd prefer it more if it were all that green shade instead of dividing it up between that and white, but I still like it.

This thread has made me want to re visit some old N64 games so I ordered a bunch of stuff. My PC USB adaptor just arrived. Now I am waiting for my Retrode and also a copy of Rayman 2 I ordered. All from eBay.

I still have my trusty old purple controller from many years ago, hopefully that still works. Managed to find a few games too such as Mario 64 and Donkey Kong. Still need to order Perfect Dark.

Around Christmas time I get that nostalgic tingle that is the N64. I'm sick of thinking back on my collection and how much fun I had. I had a decent amount of titles for the system and had always enjoyed the graphic style and controller. But life always gets in the way and I had to sell everything off. Well, I thought it was time to resurrect my collection and then some, and share the same joy with my kids. I purchased a complete, like new, N64 system with memory cards. This is what I have picked up in the last 2 weeks.

jboDroS45mNO7k.JPG

This is the list of what I have so far.

Diddy Kong Racing
Tetrisphere
Killer Instinct Gold
Star Wars Shadoes of the Empire
Donkey Kong 64
Pilot Wings 64
007 Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Hey You Pikachu
Star Fox 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Forsaken
Extreme G racing
NBA Showtime
Ridge Racer 64
Wipeout 64
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
NBA Jam 2000
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
Scooby-Do Classic Creep Caper
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Nascar 2000
Bomberman Hero
Army Men: Sarges's Heroes 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
007 The World is Not Enough
Excitebike 64
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64
Mario Golf
Blast Corps
Bust-A-Move 2

CHusson91

Banned
This is the list of what I have so far.

Diddy Kong Racing
Tetrisphere
Killer Instinct Gold
Star Wars Shadoes of the Empire
Donkey Kong 64
Pilot Wings 64
007 Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Hey You Pikachu
Star Fox 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Forsaken
Extreme G racing
NBA Showtime
Ridge Racer 64
Wipeout 64
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
NBA Jam 2000
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
Scooby-Do Classic Creep Caper
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Nascar 2000
Bomberman Hero
Army Men: Sarges's Heroes 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
007 The World is Not Enough
Excitebike 64
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64
Mario Golf
Blast Corps
Bust-A-Move 2

Awesome! You should add Majora's Mask, Banjo Kazooie, and Banjo Tooie to your list!

Top Bottom