• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

newarrior

Going to get mine near new console this week, already bought jet force gemini and perfect dark, but what is all RGB stuff im reading? does it involve soldering?

I'm wondering the same thing, too. I recently picked up an N64 for the first time (I was out of console gaming from post-SNES until the tail end of PS2, so missed a lot of consoles). I actually got a Trinitron crt from a friend for my classic gaming consoles, but I don't see a *huge* difference between that and my flatscreen (47" LG). I'm not a super videophile for gaming, so maybe it's just me. I actually need to get into the service menu and see if I can adjust the picture a bit on the tv, because it seems to be stretched and slightly off-center. What's the prefered way to hook up an N64, without modding it?

mintyice

If I'm looking to get another Nintendo 64 controller (I have some knockoff controller and have no clue what I did with my original many years ago), what's my best bet? I keep seeing some pretty lousy reviews of those "new" N64 controllers and was just wondering if there's something out there I missed.

Hori Pad Mini

DSCN0922_zps0db1d208.jpg

I took the Ice Blue controller on the left apart and greased the parts of the anaolog stick with ceramic grease. While I had it apart I also washed the shell and all the buttons in scolding hot water that had a little antibacterial soap mixed in.

The grey controller on the right has the new "GameCube style" third-party thumbstick installed. These new thumbsticks work well with most games but are a complete fail with Super Smash Bros. as forward smashes are nearly impossible to pull off consistantly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Where do you even get a small RGB CRT TV? The only ones I know with RGB are fucking huge things that were top of the line in their time. Did smaller, budget CRTs get RGB in post-LCD HDTV times when I wasn't looking?

Rich!

Where do you even get a small RGB CRT TV? The only ones I know with RGB are fucking huge things that were top of the line in their time. Did smaller, budget CRTs get RGB in post-LCD HDTV times when I wasn't looking?

In the UK? Go onto gumtree or ebay, and voila. Thousands, often for free. I got my 29" RGB Sony CRT for £5. My 20" toshiba was free. Yep, I have two:

With very few exceptions, every single CRT made in the 90s/early 2000s in the UK was RGB SCART compatible. I've never, nor my parents, ever had a CRT that didn't support RGB via SCART. Same for Europe and Australia.

My old 14" Bush CRT for £90 back in 1998 supported RGB.

And if you're in the USA? Well, that's going to be harder, if not impossible. They are like gold dust there. Your only bet is either an expensive PVM or a framemeister.

I live in the U.S. and have my N64 connected to a 20 inch CRT TV with S-Video. The picture quality is really very good and more than acceptable for most people.

CRT TV's are very inexpensive here too and you can often get nice ones for free on Craig's List. They're heavy, take up space and use lots of electricity so most people are happy to get rid of them.

Dice

And if you're in the USA? Well, that's going to be harder, if not impossible. They are like gold dust there. Your only bet is either an expensive PVM or a framemeister.
Okay now I have looked into PVMs and the PVM-14M2U or M4U is exactly what I'm looking for but jesus yes they are all scooped up.

I live in the U.S. and have my N64 connected to a 20 inch CRT TV with S-Video. The picture quality is really very good and more than acceptable for most people.
S-Video is what I always had those gens, RGB is what I want... but also not a huge CRT in my room.

Snaku

Banned
Quick question, but were some US N64's region free? I distinctly remember renting Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 from a local Hollywood Video one weekend and being able to play it on my 64, without any sort of mod. Was that specific game just US compatible, or what?

N64's are technically region free. The only thing keeping you from playing games from other regions are little plastic tabs in the cartridge slot, just like the SNES.

Rich!

N64's are technically region free. The only thing keeping you from playing games from other regions are little plastic tabs in the cartridge slot, just like the SNES.

Only for USA/JP games, remember. PAL games will not work on an NTSC console without a converter, and vice versa.

Only for USA/JP games, remember. PAL games will not work on an NTSC console without a converter, and vice versa.

Yeah, I know. I just forgot to put that in there. I was eating dinner and typing from my phone. Hah. PAL games practically always cause problems because of the 50/60 Hz difference.

The only console I can really think of that PAL games normally work fine on any region console is the Genesis/MegaDrive, since most PAL games are literally identical to their U.S. counterparts besides the name on the labels. Most games up until the end of the system's lifespan weren't PAL optimized, so they played quite a bit slower. Bad for people in Europe, good for people looking to import games in English that didn't get released in America. Hah.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So what if I wanted to get Sin and Punishment? Would I have to do anything to it?

Rich!

Yeah, I know. I just forgot to put that in there. I was eating dinner and typing from my phone. Hah. PAL games practically always cause problems because of the 50/60 Hz difference.

The only console I can really think of that PAL games normally work fine on any region console is the Genesis/MegaDrive, since most PAL games are literally identical to their U.S. counterparts besides the name on the labels. Most games up until the end of the system's lifespan weren't PAL optimized, so they played quite a bit slower. Bad for people in Europe, good for people looking to import games in English that didn't get released in America. Hah.

flipping the 50/60hz switch on my mega drive whilst playing Sonic never fails to amuse and horrify me in equal measures

So what if I wanted to get Sin and Punishment? Would I have to do anything to it?

got an american console? You can either open up your console and remove the tabs, or use one of these:

nintendo-64-action-replay-loose.jpg

Snaku

Banned

Right, I'm aware of that. So why was I able to play Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 then? I hadn't modded my 64, and it was a Japanese game.

Rich!

Right, I'm aware of that. So why was I able to play Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 then? I hadn't modded my 64, and it was a Japanese game.

Where are the tabs in the cart?

here?

or here?

if it's the latter, then what you are saying is physically impossible unless you have either a modded console (tabs removed from the inside of the console) or an action replay/passthrough cart.

Maxrunner

Starting fresh, just got two, Perfectdark and Jet Force Gemini both in excellent condition box wise. Also Mario Tennis 64 is the best tennis game i've played, and i've played many....including Virtual Tennis which released at around the same time as the N64 version....

Mzo

Okay now I have looked into PVMs and the PVM-14M2U or M4U is exactly what I'm looking for but jesus yes they are all scooped up.

S-Video is what I always had those gens, RGB is what I want... but also not a huge CRT in my room.

I found a 20" PVM for free nearby... that didn't have RGB input D=

Even a 20" is still a massive thing and a pain in the ass to have in a room, FYI.

Old games on LCD is disgusting.
Some CRTs have component. My 27" RCA CRT has component. Component looks great on it.

I don't play any non-HD consoles on anything but CRTs. I don't like how they look on LCDs, I don't like the input delay, and I don't like the lack of lightgun support.

Rich!

And most of them are that big. 14" sets with RGB (which is component BTW) are rare.

Is there no way to import from the UK? Majority of the 14" sets here are 60hz compatible, and almost without exception all support RGB SCART (the cables for which are dirt cheap) - and there's thousands of them.

mintyice

So how does everyone store their carts? I've been looking at those Nintendo storage cases but they are ~$50 and only hold 24. Another interesting idea I read about was storing them in old 8 track case since the size of a tape and a cart are fairly similar. Something like this but imagine carts instead:

M6lNd8jl.jpg

L0CvMwYl.jpg

koopas

As long as when you store them you don't write/label THE NAME OF THE GAME ON THE TOP OF THE CARTS

Pet peeve sorry I don't know what came over me there

Jamix012

Hey guys. I rebought an N64 recently, along with some gamecube component cables. As a result I graduated my Gamecube S-video cable to the N64, and I was under the impression that they were cross compatitable. However I'm getting this horrible crosshatching effect. I've looked it up, but no one seems to have a good answer. It's especially weird since the cables did wonders for my 'cube but seem to be failing me when it comes to the N64. Anyone know a solution?

I know I've encountered that with my SNES in the past, using an S-Video cable from Racketboy bought around 2011 or so. It was less obvious on certain ports of my S-Video switch than others, though.

I am seeing that most clearly here with the ALTTP comparisons.

WTF man how is it such a huge jump? I remember doing component for Wii and the difference was pretty big. Here it seems barely any different from S-Video.

Like S-video, component (YPbPr) separates signal into chroma and luma. IIRC RGB has better color separation because color information is separated into Red, Green and Blue instead of just chroma (color) and luma (light).

Dice

Like S-video, component (YPbPr) separates signal into chroma and luma. IIRC RGB has better color separation because color information is separated into Red, Green and Blue instead of just chroma (color) and luma (light).
Reading more... so component is basically just HD-capable S-Video and the only advantage it had on my Wii was the fact it bumped to 480p...

*head explodes* I'm so glad we're in the digital age now.

Top Bottom