• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Third Party Dilemma: How we got here and why

That's a quote from the founder of Avalanche (Just Cause developer). Why in the world is any developer struggling to reach Nintendo? No first party is having more difficulties with third parties than Nintendo, so you'd at least think that they'd be bending over backwards for developers. And yet you have this. A developer making AAA games that had difficulties contacting Nintendo until they hooked up with a publisher. Their third party relations team needs some serious help.

NIntendo deal with the people paying for games, not the people making them(as they have plenty of those in-house).

And people sore underestimate how much nintendo's god awful online setup on wii made 3rd parties dislike that plaform. And then we actually had delusional fans arguing that patches were bad because developers became lazy

I wouldn't say lazy, but patches such as the MoH Warfighter one are disgustingly cynical(releasing a game that you aren't willing to have reviewed should not be allowed), & I fail to see how games being pressed unfinished is a good thing for consumers.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The reason they were control freaks in the NES era was to prevent the market to be flooded with horrible games and cause another crash.

It didn't prevent bad games from happening at all, but it helped.

They just never went out of it or had their wake up call.

NIntendo deal with the people paying for games, not the people making them(as they have plenty of those in-house).

If they had plenty of those in-house then they wouldn't be currently sitting in a massive software drought since the Wii U launch. No one can stand with their in-house titles only. None of the first parties are that big. You need third party titles to fill out the year.

What people, especially fanboys need to get out of their head is that Nintendo somehow makes better games than anyone. They don't. Their art isn't as good, their tech isn't as good, and their design is up for discussion. When Mario Kart whatever for WiiU doesn't even come with a level editor like Modnation or LBP Kart you have to ask why they are allowed to regress status quo features and still be hailed. So it isn't a question of making games as good as Nintendo when Nintendo's own quality is incredibly subjective to start with.

Custom Robo, and Mario Party 5 are pretty big examples of Nintendo publishing pretty low quality product. Even the more recent "Exite" games they created and published were no where near the Trials quality level and we are talking $60 vs. $15 product.

If they had plenty of those in-house then they wouldn't be currently sitting in a massive software drought since the Wii U launch. No one can stand with their in-house titles only. None of the first parties are that big. You need third party titles to fill out the year.

Well the 3DS is essentially a nintendo machine in the west but they have a good price and a much better track record with none of their real handhelds failing

What people, especially fanboys need to get out of their head is that Nintendo somehow makes better games than anyone

I agree and disagree. I disagree in that i still think overall nintendo is one the best dev studios in the world and has a lot of talent. I agree in that some people have put nintendo on a pedestal where people talk about 3rd parties not doing as good as nintendo because their games dont measure up. Nintendo is just like any other developer in that they release great games but also release shitty games.

Nintendo is certainly an exception to that. 100 plus millions of units is not wrong.

BlackJace

What people, especially fanboys need to get out of their head is that Nintendo somehow makes better games than anyone. They don't. Their art isn't as good, their tech isn't as good, and their design is up for discussion. When Mario Kart whatever for WiiU doesn't even come with a level editor like Modnation or LBP Kart you have to ask why they are allowed to regress status quo features and still be hailed. So it isn't a question of making games as good as Nintendo when Nintendo's own quality is incredibly subjective to start with.

Custom Robo, and Mario Party 5 are pretty big examples of Nintendo publishing pretty low quality product. Even the more recent "Exite" games they created and published were no where near the Trials quality level and we are talking $60 vs. $15 product.

Huh? One of the only reasons people buy their hardware is because they believe they make some of the best games.

The old hardware idea doesn't at all explain how all these games coming to 360/PS3 aren't coming to Wii U.

The thing is people who are interested in 3rd party games will usually have atleast one other console. From a publisher standpoint porting games over will take sales from other platforms. If they don't port it Wii U most owners who are interested in it will still buy it on another platform. Also competing against the might of first-party on Nintendo platforms is very, very hard.

It seems like you just want a Nintendo console like the other two but that is the worst thing they could do. Then you would have at least a $400 console that third-parties still wouldn't support. People want Wii U for Nintendo games and when the console has a price drop it will be under $300 dollars, a more affordable price.

The question is how many people would only play Nintendo games with PS4/X1 visuals and would happily drop $400 on such a console? It would undoubtedly be much smaller than the people who would be willing to buy a console to only play Nintendo games but not if its $400.

As for the gamepad its incredibly important to give the console differentiation. Without it you just have Nintendo games and third-party games being the same on other platforms. With it you can sell the public on a unique feature as well as having the ability to really create unique content based on the input and features of the gamepad.

Nintendo is certainly an exception to that. 100 plus millions of units is not wrong.

Nintendo certainly tapped into a underdeveloped market last gen, but these people are gone now because they can get their entertainment from the multitude of other devices
As for the gamepad its incredibly important to give the console differentiation. Without it you just have Nintendo games and third-party games being the same on other platforms. With it you can sell the public on a unique feature as well as having the ability to really create unique content based on the input and features of the gamepad.

Except nintendo isn't doing anything useful with the gamepad.

Are Avalanche planning to self-publish their next title? If not, talking to them is pretty much a waste of time as they wouldn't be able to make the game without the publishers say-so.

What people, especially fanboys need to get out of their head is that Nintendo somehow makes better games than anyone. They don't. Their art isn't as good, their tech isn't as good, and their design is up for discussion.

When Mario Kart whatever for WiiU doesn't even come with a level editor like Modnation or LBP Kart you have to ask why they are allowed to regress status quo features and still be hailed. So it isn't a question of making games as good as Nintendo when Nintendo's own quality is incredibly subjective to start with.

This has nothing to do with 3rd party support, & mentioning ModNation is hilarious considering the PSP version of that game.

Snakeyes

The thing is people who are interested in 3rd party games will usually have atleast one other console. From a publisher standpoint porting games over will take sales from other platforms. If they don't port it Wii U most owners who are interested in it will still buy it on another platform.
Which is a toxic situation that Nintendo need to fix as quickly as possible. The Wii U (and N64, and GC) have proven that the "Nintendo Box" model is not sustainable, barring a once-in-a-decade market disrupting miracle like the Wii.

Huh? One of the only reasons people buy their hardware is because they believe they make some of the best games.

They believe. Yeah, a mainline Mario and a mainline Zelda are great design and execution achievements. But really, in terms of size and scope does Zelda even remotely come close to Skyrim? Does Nintendo have anything as broad and as vast as GTA? What about Far Cry? This Nintendo = perfection mantra thing doesn't exist anymore.

Trials is a great example. Trials Evolution even more so. They are both games that illustrate what Nintendo *should* be able to pull off in a like genre but don't because of some fear of delivering more than what they think they can. If 20 people at Redlynx can kick the crap out of a in house Nintendo team it is time to bring down the hammer there.

This has nothing to do with 3rd party support, & mentioning ModNation is hilarious considering the PSP version of that game.
PSP ModNation was not done by UFG and is a handheld game in comparison to a console game with the WiiU Mario Kart.

As stated in the OP, there is no mythical Nintendo quality to attain. That is a biased preconceived notion that is up for discussion or flat out wrong. People see Nintendo on the box and they think Quality whether it is earned or not.

BlackJace

They believe. Yeah, a mainline Mario and a mainline Zelda are great design and execution achievements. But really, in terms of size and scope does Zelda even remotely come close to Skyrim? Does Nintendo have anything as broad and as vast as GTA? What about Far Cry? This Nintendo = perfection mantra thing doesn't exist anymore.

Trials is a great example. Trials Evolution even more so. They are both games that illustrate what Nintendo *should* be able to pull off in a like genre but don't because of some fear of delivering more than what they think they can. If 20 people at Redlynx can kick the crap out of a in house Nintendo team it is time to bring down the hammer there.

No one said Nintendo = perfection.
They just make great games. That's about as far as you should look into that.

And lol at comparing Skyrim and Zelda. As if those two are remotely of the same focus.

EDarkness

But is it "taking the path of least resistance" - which implies some sort of laziness - or simply financial realities which dictate any business?

There's plenty of blame everywhere. Seems like you're trying to give devs a pass, but ultimately they are responsible for their own software. If they do a shitty job at it, then that's no one's responsibility but theirs.

Whatever happens behind closed doors doesn't concern me, what matters is whether or not I'm gonna get a quality piece of software.

mclem

While you have a point in a broad sense, I absolutely would not regard a level editor as a standard expected feature in a driving game.

Sadist

The thing I'm skeptical about is whether Nintendo has a place what seems like an overly focused contemporary western console market. I don't have a nostalgic attachment to Nintendo being "great again", as in making a console that has all the core gaming industry's titles on it in addition to theirs. That isn't my definition of great for the kind of company they are.
Well, damn. That's my idea as well.

Anyway regarding Nintendo's third party situation for the last three generations I think they created a lot of the problems themselves. We all read the examples as posted in the OP and those are all 100% legit, but not everything is Nintendo's fault here. Yes, back in the Yamauchi days they just didn't give a shit, but that's like two decades ago. But let's flip the coin for a moment as well; if you prefer Nintendo systems over the other two (and no, I'm not interested in a discussion why I should look into a Xbox or PS) you get treated as a third rate customer as well.

Quality of third party software. Yes, during the Cube, Wii and now the Wii U-era Nintendo didn't "deliver the industry standard hardware" and they pay the price. If by they you mean Nintendo AND third parties, then yes. Especially during the Wii years third parties actively destroyed their own chances of selling decent amounts of software. I couldn't keep count of all the consumers walking into retailers and avoiding non-Nintendo software. "Yeah, that doesn't look very good to me. I'd rather buy that new Mario game, or hey this Donkey Kong thing seems like a sure hit". I've spoken to countless people as well; adults, kids, teens whatever; they all told me the same; they avoided those games because they got burned. They put down money, got home and were disappointed by the quality. Whenever they got something developed by Nintendo, they felt they got their monies worth.

"Yeah but hey the third party problem is older than the Wii is" and that's true. I just feel that the Wii-generation was the tipping point for consumers with any interest in third party software on Nintendo consoles. Say what you will, but I've seen so many absolutely baffling decisions for software on Wii I still can't believe some of those were actually published. There is always the populair examples of Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania fighter, Resident Evil railshooters and others. Or Dead Space Extraction (which is a good game btw) and EA expected the game to sell because of brandrecognition, like the Resident Evil-series. It's not just EA, but many others did the same, only to complain afterwards. "Man, I can't believe this game didn't sell. We were so sure!"

Publishers just don't realise that consumers aren't stupid. They know. They remember. And even with Nintendo limping out of the gate with Wii U, doing a horrible job of letting the world know that Wii U is the successor to the Wii, third parties did absolutely nothing to gain the trust of people who actually bought the system. Mass Effect 3 SE € 60? Sure why not. Two shelves next to it we see a brand new trilogy pack of Mass Effect on other systems for € 50. Good show. FIFA? We did our best, we did! No you didn't. A lot of other games were never considered for the console. So why should someone with a Wii U trust/buy third party games if third parties won't trust the consumers?

It's the never ending cycle of third party Nintendo relations, the chicken and the egg story and the popular "Nintendo doesn't give a shit about 3rd party games and they have shitty systems". While a lot of the criticisms ring true, I point my finger towards third parties as well. They "helped" creating this environment as well.

Remember, these are the same guys that yell "we really did everything and it's not us, it's the market/fans!" if their games don't perform on Xbox or PS systems.

Well, damn. That's my idea as well.

Anyway regarding Nintendo's third party situation for the last three generations I think they created a lot of the problems themselves. We all read the examples as posted in the OP and those are all 100% legit, but not everything is Nintendo's fault here. Yes, back in the Yamauchi days they just didn't give a shit, but that's like two decades ago. But let's flip the coin for a moment as well; if you prefer Nintendo systems over the other two (and no, I'm not interested in a discussion why I should look into a Xbox or PS) you get treated as a third rate customer as well.

Quality of third party software. Yes, during the Cube, Wii and now the Wii U-era Nintendo didn't "deliver the industry standard hardware" and they pay the price. If by they you mean Nintendo AND third parties, then yes. Especially during the Wii years third parties actively destroyed their own chances of selling decent amounts of software. I couldn't keep count of all the consumers walking into retailers and avoiding non-Nintendo software. "Yeah, that doesn't look very good to me. I'd rather buy that new Mario game, or hey this Donkey Kong thing seems like a sure hit". I've spoken to countless people as well; adults, kids, teens whatever; they all told me the same; they avoided those games because they got burned. They put down money, got home and were disappointed by the quality. Whenever they got something developed by Nintendo, they felt they got their monies worth.

"Yeah but hey the third party problem is older than the Wii is" and that's true. I just feel that the Wii-generation was the tipping point for consumers with any interest in third party software on Nintendo consoles. Say what you will, but I've seen so many absolutely baffling decisions for software on Wii I still can't believe some of those were actually published. There is always the populair examples of Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania fighter, Resident Evil railshooters and others. Or Dead Space Extraction (which is a good game btw) and EA expected the game to sell because of brandrecognition, like the Resident Evil-series. It's not just EA, but many others did the same, only to complain afterwards. "Man, I can't believe this game didn't sell. We were so sure!"

Publishers just don't realise that consumers aren't stupid. They know. They remember. And even with Nintendo limping out of the gate with Wii U, doing a horrible job of letting the world know that Wii U is the successor to the Wii, third parties did absolutely nothing to gain the trust of people who actually bought the system. Mass Effect 3 SE € 60? Sure why not. Two shelves next to it we see a brand new trilogy pack of the Mass Effect on other systems for € 50. Good show. FIFA? We did our best, we did! No you didn't. A lot of other games were never considered for the console. So why should someone with a Wii U trust/buy third party games if third parties won't trust the consumers?

It's the never ending cycle of third party Nintendo relations, the chicken and the egg story and the popular "Nintendo doesn't give a shit about 3rd party games and they have shitty systems". While a lot of the criticisms ring true, I point my finger towards third parties as well. They "helped" creating this environment as well.

Remember, these are the same guys that yell "we really did everything and it's not us, it's the market/fans!" if their games don't perform on Xbox or PS systems.

Seconded.

boyshine

I have a feeling that developers demand more from Nintendo than they do from the competing platforms. Basically because the majority of developers personally do not play on or care about (current) Nintendo platforms, they feel that if they should bother to release the game on Nintendo's platforms, Nintendo should approach them personally with an offer. This is something that pops up in interviews quite often, and it always makes me wonder why there's no passion to pursue the platforms from the teams internally. This theory is further supported by the fact that Wii U seemingly (so far) has full third party support for kids and family games, so they can't be that hard to deal with.

We all know a lot of gamers, and I'm sure if we're being honest we all know the attitude towards Nintendo from our peers. Developers are gamers just like us, same age, same background, and the "Nintendo is for kids - we love them for our childhood memories, but we've moved on" sentiment might be the biggest obstacle Nintendo is facing in order to get support with games targeted for a 16+ audience.

Solution #1: More Nintendo fanboys need to become developers :p

Solution #2: Change the entire industry to where the AAA block busters are targeted for 12+, like how it is in the movie industry.

This is pretty comedic considering were in a thread on third parties abandoning Nintendo. Seriously, how do you think Nintendo sells tens of millions of hardware if it isnt the third parties making great games for their consoles and it isn't Nintendo making top level games for it? I would leave your personal tastes out of it. For consoles, they still have the most popular platformer, racer, rpg, fighter, and casual games out there. It is indeed incredibly tough to compete with that whether they match your personal tastes or not.

THE COMEBACK KID

Now we come to the big one. In the simplest of ideas, Nintendo decided to leverage its outsider status by coming up with a now famous blue ocean strategy which involved - in much the same way Sony did with CD and DVDs - disrupting the industry. But they decided to do it at a much more fundamental level.

With the motion control tech of the Wii, the industry was set afire by the reaction consumers had. Not only that, but the games would function on DVDs which, for most of the gen, was really all that most games needed. So why didn't this change third parties perspectives toward Nintendo?

Now let's consider for a moment what I've already articulated at length. Third party developers already had a bad history with Nintendo, and were hesitant to just jump back on board. But there is a far more important thing that happened.

Because Nintendo may not have limited their system by the size of the storage space or the size of the install base, but it limited the system by the extremely limited power the system had relative to the Xbox 360 and PS3. This immediately caused the problem of making the system near impossible to release competent ports for. Not only that, Nintendo was woefully behind on yet another of the industries latest trends, online integration. Sony was as well compared to Microsoft, but they had the pieces in place to make it something worthwhile. Nintendo simply did not.

So what happened here? Well, developers initially started their investments thinking the PS3 was going to be the industry leader, and after the price reveal they didn't change their strategy. Why? Because they realized that even if PS3 wasn't the market leader, it is smarter to release games that can be PS3+360+PC than just the Wii alone. The Wii put itself in a position where not only were the ports it could potentially receive extremely difficult to make comparatively (everything from the basics of an engine would have to be completely redesigned to critical online features being stripped out because of the horrendous online infrastructure), but most games would have to be made for Wii alone in mind if they were to really take advantage of the systems Wiimote technology and thus be competitive.

The result is what we saw. The Wii, one of the most successful systems of all time, had middling developer support that started out OK and eventually drained to AWFUL. And who caused this? I think we can safely say it was Nintendo.

This is still I feel the big hit, but what do you make of publishers also getting burned too much during the Wii's lifespan to bother trying by this point, save Ubisoft (and even now they're starting to give ultimatums?)

Redswirl said:
And WiiWare was a disaster. Nintendo should've seen the writing on the wall and recognized then that the indies had the cheap, innovative ideas they were looking for.

And their tune changed.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The OP makes a number of good points I agree with. But I also believe a couple of other points are being glossed over that should be reconsidered.

- During the Wii's heyday, DS and PSP had huge developer support, and the Wii tech was around the same as the PSP (and WAY better than DS), but it still didn't get much real 3rd party support for some reason.
- Sony isn't exactly innocent in terms of 3rd party restrictions, esp. in North America. Games being refused for release here because they didn't have "30% more content" or some bullshit. Atlus had to fight tooth and nail to get the clearance to release the original Disgaea because lol 2D sprite amirite? I still haven't quite forgiven them for constantly refusing Working Designs games, which played a major part in their demise.

StevieP

Banned
I would rather they innovate through their gameplay than useless addition like 3D and the gamepad. If the wiiu was cheap i wouldnt mind but nintendo wants to have their cake and eat it too.

This is where that argument falls apart.
They innovated their gameplay in Wii Sports. How?
They innovated their gameplay in Mario 64. How?

Sometimes the software is at the mercy of the hardware. There is a reason they design their consoles the way they do.

And while it's pretty clear that the Wii U doesn't have such a title yet (and it may never) there is a reason why there is a push for differentiation. The Gamepad itself is actually a compromise between what Nintendo wanted and what third parties want (i.e. a dual analog pad) and maybe that's where the problem lies.

I think it's safe to say that there's problems on both ends. On Nintendo's side, you have the lack of big releases and console moving games (not to mention the things like lack of marketing, lack of public awareness etc) and then on the 3rd party side you have them releasing old games that have already been out (sports games, that Mass Effect blunder someone mentioned) that are not things that people with the console want (if they don't already own it on another console)

Do you kind of end up with a domino effect that's going inward to one point; which is where we are now.
From Nintendo's side, we need more star studded releases. Despite how beautiful it looks, something like Pikmin or a new Earthbound or whatever should have been available from Day 1. Now that they're just kind of rolling around now, we need to see a more consistent release schedule as well- 3DS has had a must-have release for the last few months and that needs to happen with the Wii U now too.

On the 3rd party side, they need to be more accepting that the people who buy their games on one console will probably not buy it on another. I didn't buy a Wii U because I wanted to play Mass Effect or Call of Whatever. I bought it because I love Nintendo games, but I also expect to play some games that other consoles are getting that are cool looking (ie, Rayman). But now I'm the bad guy so you took away my Rayman because I didn't want your sport game? That doesn't make any sense.

As for the gamepad, i think that could potentially be a blockade that Nintendo needs to smooth out too. If devs don't like it, heck they could slap a smiley face down there for all I care- just give me your game. Nintendo could also simply start bundling the Pro Controller with some versions of the consoles. Make a "Pro" version..maybe bigger storage, some other game bundled in..whatever.

DrWong

TL:DR: Nintendo is just too different from what the big third parties have become over the last 15 or so years. They seem to have a totally different vision for what they want console games to be compared to, say, EA.

The OP is basically an elaboration of all the old arguments we've been through before, and I also think it misappropriates some of the later points.

It's pretty much accepted that this all started when PlayStation provided developers with an escape from Nintendo's draconian policies of the 80's and 90's. Where things get hazy is Nintendo's relationship with third parties between the late 90's and today. For that timeframe I've actually given up trying to blame one side or the other, and I've begun to think that Nintendo and most of the major western third parties are just too different from one another. They seem to want different things.

Starting around the Gamecube era, Nintendo actively tried to reverse the third party policies it was known for in the 8 and 16-bit days. I remember reading articles during the Gamecube era where developers stated Nintendo still had high minimum orders compared to Sony or Microsoft, but Nintendo had clearly tossed the strong-arm tactics of the 80's. Over the course of the Gamecube era, Nintendo more or less repaired their relationships with Japanese third parties, almost all of whom are still fairly willing to support Nintendo consoles where the market makes sense.

I think the OP might misunderstand what actually caused the Gamecube's problems. I think the mini-DVD issue is a bit overblown, as there weren't a huge number of console games during that era that had to be cut down for Gamecube. In my opinion the real problem was that the Gamecube had no "selling point" to developers. The PS2 had its massive install base, the Xbox had Live and the familiarity of its PC-like architecture to western studios, but the Gamecube didn't really have anything to make it stand apart. Before the Gamecube launched Nintendo went on about how easy the system was to develop for compared to N64, but that wasn't enough. Nintendo didn't anticipate the Xbox being equally accessible to developers. I think all the other factors like the discs and controller were ultimately minor. The Gamecube's real problem is that it offered developers nothing the other two consoles didn't already offer.

The Wii is I think where the truth really came to bare: The kind of console game market Nintendo wants is very different from what most of the dominant third parties want.

It's probably a schism that really started during the PS1 era. Sony and third parties were all about flashy, cinematic games that leveraged the advantages of the CD format. Nintendo's games on the other hand have remained heavily mechanic-driven and lean on presentation. I remember quotes from Miyamoto stating that he didn't like using huge amounts of voice acting for games because he thought it was a waste of disc space. The N64 was basically designed for that man's games, and Miyamoto has typically come off as someone who doesn't really care for the flashiness of modern gaming. When Nintendo and Silicon Knights split up, they officially said it was due to "ideological differences."

The other thing is that Nintendo has never really cared about making a platform specifically for the 16-35 male American gamer, which is where the PS1 started to take the industry. This means they didn't necessarily care about supporting games like shooters specifically. Guys like Iwata have repeatedly said they just want "fun games."

This basically continued throughout the Gamecube era and went into overdrive with the Wii. In hindsight, third parties were probably a bit foolish to bet as much as they did on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Just look at how many of them went under because of it. On the other hand, Nintendo was probably foolish to expect the likes of EA and Take Two to support the Wii's vision, since it differed so much from their own plans. Did Nintendo really think those guys were gonna abandon their whole way of business? Even if it might have been more economically sensible to do so?

Also, you have the western PC guard that recently invaded the console space, made up of guys like Epic, BioWare, Bethesda, Obsidian, and Irrational. These guys don't have a bad relationship with Nintendo because they don't have ANY relationship with Nintendo. Most of the aforementioned companies have never shipped a game for Nintendo hardware. They were all only making PC games during the time of Nintendo's console dominance. They occupy a world totally foreign to Nintendo.

On Nintendo's end, they, like Sony, were completely caught off-guard by the rise of the west this gen. They didn't anticipate the western PC guard coming in, and those guys sure as hell weren't compatible with what the Wii was trying to do.

And then there's online infrastructure. I don't think Nintendo has been unaware of the internet all this time, they just don't quite agree with how Sony and Microsoft are utilizing it. During the Gamecube era people at Nintendo (Iwata I think) stated that online gaming wasn't profitable enough, and that only a very small fraction of console gamers even used it back then (they were right).

Friend codes were there because Nintendo thought of online gaming as basically a secondary way to play with your existing friends. To this day Nintendo doesn't seem to completely agree with the system of paying a subscription to play with and meet new people completely online. Admittedly, friend codes were a fucking terrible way to do this. Shit, just look at how much Nintendo still emphasizes local multiplayer over online.

Anyway, to summarize, since the mid-90's you have:
-Sticking to smaller media formats to accommodate game mechanics over flashy media.
-Creating a console with a simpler control interface and weaker hardware in order to attract a whole new consumer base and encourage lower development costs.
-Emphasizing local multiplayer over online for philosophical reasons.

In my opinion what you have here is not incompetence on Nintendo's part, but an ideological war the company is waging against basically the entire rest of console gaming.

All the companies in the console retail space right now are all about bigger and better AAA games, and Nintendo seems to be vehemently AGAINST that kind of thing. They are also against targeting one specific demographic. They won't block those kinds of games on their platforms, but they aren't specifically trying to make a console where those games will sell either.

Just look at the third parties Nintendo is heavily supporting. They went and grabbed Monster Hunter, and they are deep in bed with Sega and Platinum. One of the biggest third party games Nintendo put front-and-center was Lego City Stories. They've been publishing western versions of Dragon Quest games themselves. Nintendo even offered to publish the Japanese version of Rayman Legends. Nintendo does try to put backing behind third party games, just only the ones it actually likes, which rarely, if ever, end up being a Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Personally, I don't think Nintendo can ever fully repair their relations with the big western third parties currently running the show because of these differences. They just seem to want different things. Whether that's good or bad depends on what you want.

For Nintendo to become what the big third parties and a lot of gamers want them to be, they'd probably have to cease being the company that made so many of the games we love. On the other hand, the number of publishers willing to go along with Nintendo's way of doing things is shrinking.

In my opinion Nintendo has two options if they wanna get a lot of good third party support and still remain Nintendo:
1) Somehow get Japan fully behind the Wii U.
2) Gain the heavy favor of indies and hope they blossom on Wii U.

Japanese third parties are basically how the 3DS is kicking ass right now, and in my opinion indies are more similar to Nintendo ideologically than anyone else. Of course Nintendo's main problems are tearing Japan away from the 3DS long enough to notice the Wii U and competing with Sony's heavy push for indies.

You deserve to be quoted.

Nozem

Lovely post, thanks.

I get the feeling Nintendo still thinks they're at the top of the industry being the cool kid, and everybody should follow them. Like they're delusional.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
here's the simple, correct version: Nintendo is by far the most prolific and greatest publisher of all time in the industry. Others cannot compete with them on a long term basis. If given the choice between Nintendo games and other games, Nintendo games will win out. Consumers vote with their wallet and Nintendo becomes a victim of their own success.

So naturally consumers would flock to Nintendo's system every time to play their games, since they're so much better.

Amir0x

Banned
every time I am about to post my mega response post someone else posts something I need to respond to. this may take a while lol

Sendou

Lovely post, thanks.

I get the feeling Nintendo still thinks they're at the top of the industry being the cool kid, and everybody should follow them. Like they're delusional.

Sony should follow their philosophy on handheld games software development.

Ami, your analysis on what happened during the early Wii era is deeply flawed. Publishers didn't stick with the PS3 because they knew they could go to a multiplatform ecosystem. Neither publishers nor platform holders wanted that at all. They had blind faith in Sony and thought that Sony would retain users because of the strength of the Playstation. The same assumption was made with the PSP and with the Vita in Japan: they buy it because it's Playstation. What they found was that there was precious little loyalty in the Playstation brand coming off of the PS2 era. Sony reacted quickly to consolidate their first parties and software brand (rather than hardware brand as it had been) on the console side (the reason why the Vita didn't instill brand loyalty, coincidentally) but that's another story.

The evidence is in the fact that most early ports from the PS3 to the Xbox360 and vice versa were late and haphazard. It's clearly something that they didn't plan on and used as a hasty fallback when betting on the sure-fire leader failed hard. On the other hand, Nintendo made the Wii very open and easy to develop for. Did this sway third parties? Not at all. They didn't care. They noted "investment in next-gen tools" and "artistic vision" but what it came down to was that they made the wrong choices. They were slow to react, and then reacted incorrectly. In 2006 and early 2007 when the Wii was hot out of the gate, they should have been working to get their tools to work on the Wii and start making the same games for the Wii as they were for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even if the Wii turned out to "be a fad" like many were (incorrectly) predicting, planning for the contingency that it wasn't would have been a wise choice considering the strength of its launch.

This didn't happen. They decided to move only starting in 2008 when they realized that the Wii was not going to burn out quickly, and then instead of adapting the games they were making, they instead gave us test games (see Capcom), weird games (see Madworld), and conceptually broken games that anybody on this very forum could tell would fail (see Dead Space Extraction, EA Sports All-Play, and, well, just EA). Many of these games came from decision points where the correct decision COULD have been made but was not. For example, Capcom rejected the version of RE:UC that played like RE4 and instead made the atrocious Dead Rising port as their RE4-alike, and EA had a Wii version of the actual Dead Space 2 as well as other games eventually released for the HD twins in development at one point.

So don't put that solely at Nintendo's feet. They cooked the meal and set the table, but nobody bothered to show up.

Great post.

Although I'm critical of Nintendo's strategy with Wii, I don't agree blaming Nintendo enterely and leave third-parties blameless, especially after all the points you made. It doesn't sound a fair analysis of what actually happened. Third-parties had potential on the platform and they didn't use it as your examples indicated.

It's true that Nintendo make mistakes (bad ones) but that's no reason to justify third-parties attitudes toward them.

boyshine

every time I am about to post my mega response post someone else posts something I need to respond to. this may take a while lol

Keep_It_Simple__Stupid.jpg

XaosWolf

~Excellent Post ~

Exactly this. Nintendo being solidly outside of the modern game industries ideology is something that attracts me to them.

They have some things they still do need to sort out (Online systems) but as for 3rd Party support, I'm all for them wanting to keep "Nintendo Friendly" games as the ones they embrace the most. Most AAA titles today are nowhere near what would attract Nintendo's primary audience.

On the 3rd party side, they need to be more accepting that the people who buy their games on one console will probably not buy it on another. I didn't buy a Wii U because I wanted to play Mass Effect or Call of Whatever. I bought it because I love Nintendo games, but I also expect to play some games that other consoles are getting that are cool looking (ie, Rayman). But now I'm the bad guy so you took away my Rayman because I didn't want your sport game? That doesn't make any sense.

I agree with this. Also leads on to my personal thoughts whenever Nintendo's 3rd party offerings are brought up.

In my opinion, people are never going to embrace any FPS, Sim Racer or major sports title on their Nintendo console. Even if Nintendo produced a powerhouse with fully fleshed out online features, people still wouldn't go to those franchises on a Nintendo console, because there are still those who would not be seen dead playing or even looking at a Mario or Kirby game.

The "Kiddy Console" perception is something I hope they stick to, as the others so far are either going for the dudebro market (mainly 3rd Party that make up this perception) or are seemingly trying to distance themselves from being a "game console" as much as possible.

Also, the 3DS seems to have little problem netting 3rd Party support, gimmick and all.
And as much as the Wii U does have a pretty lacking install base right now, the install base for the Wii was through the roof and 3rd Parties still rarely bothered pushing out anything with any kind of gameplay innovations to give it a chance on the system.
Zack & Wiki is an example of doing something neat with the systems abilities, and that game all but disappeared almost immediately.

It makes you wonder if most AAA devs have either forgotten how to be innovative in places other than graphics, or if they're too lazy to even try. (I will concede that the publishers/suits likely have the final say in that though)

I suck at putting my thoughts down.

It's a complicated one. It's not about Nintendo's fault, or 3rd parties one. Both made shit decisions, and it seems none of them try to get back with the other.

gngf123

TL:DR: Nintendo is just too different from what the big third parties have become over the last 15 or so years. They seem to have a totally different vision for what they want console games to be compared to, say, EA.

The OP is basically an elaboration of all the old arguments we've been through before, and I also think it misappropriates some of the later points.

It's pretty much accepted that this all started when PlayStation provided developers with an escape from Nintendo's draconian policies of the 80's and 90's. Where things get hazy is Nintendo's relationship with third parties between the late 90's and today. For that timeframe I've actually given up trying to blame one side or the other, and I've begun to think that Nintendo and most of the major western third parties are just too different from one another. They seem to want different things.

Starting around the Gamecube era, Nintendo actively tried to reverse the third party policies it was known for in the 8 and 16-bit days. I remember reading articles during the Gamecube era where developers stated Nintendo still had high minimum orders compared to Sony or Microsoft, but Nintendo had clearly tossed the strong-arm tactics of the 80's. Over the course of the Gamecube era, Nintendo more or less repaired their relationships with Japanese third parties, almost all of whom are still fairly willing to support Nintendo consoles where the market makes sense.

I think the OP might misunderstand what actually caused the Gamecube's problems. I think the mini-DVD issue is a bit overblown, as there weren't a huge number of console games during that era that had to be cut down for Gamecube. In my opinion the real problem was that the Gamecube had no "selling point" to developers. The PS2 had its massive install base, the Xbox had Live and the familiarity of its PC-like architecture to western studios, but the Gamecube didn't really have anything to make it stand apart. Before the Gamecube launched Nintendo went on about how easy the system was to develop for compared to N64, but that wasn't enough. Nintendo didn't anticipate the Xbox being equally accessible to developers. I think all the other factors like the discs and controller were ultimately minor. The Gamecube's real problem is that it offered developers nothing the other two consoles didn't already offer.

The Wii is I think where the truth really came to bare: The kind of console game market Nintendo wants is very different from what most of the dominant third parties want.

It's probably a schism that really started during the PS1 era. Sony and third parties were all about flashy, cinematic games that leveraged the advantages of the CD format. Nintendo's games on the other hand have remained heavily mechanic-driven and lean on presentation. I remember quotes from Miyamoto stating that he didn't like using huge amounts of voice acting for games because he thought it was a waste of disc space. The N64 was basically designed for that man's games, and Miyamoto has typically come off as someone who doesn't really care for the flashiness of modern gaming. When Nintendo and Silicon Knights split up, they officially said it was due to "ideological differences."

The other thing is that Nintendo has never really cared about making a platform specifically for the 16-35 male American gamer, which is where the PS1 started to take the industry. This means they didn't necessarily care about supporting games like shooters specifically. Guys like Iwata have repeatedly said they just want "fun games."

This basically continued throughout the Gamecube era and went into overdrive with the Wii. In hindsight, third parties were probably a bit foolish to bet as much as they did on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Just look at how many of them went under because of it. On the other hand, Nintendo was probably foolish to expect the likes of EA and Take Two to support the Wii's vision, since it differed so much from their own plans. Did Nintendo really think those guys were gonna abandon their whole way of business? Even if it might have been more economically sensible to do so?

Also, you have the western PC guard that recently invaded the console space, made up of guys like Epic, BioWare, Bethesda, Obsidian, and Irrational. These guys don't have a bad relationship with Nintendo because they don't have ANY relationship with Nintendo. Most of the aforementioned companies have never shipped a game for Nintendo hardware. They were all only making PC games during the time of Nintendo's console dominance. They occupy a world totally foreign to Nintendo.

On Nintendo's end, they, like Sony, were completely caught off-guard by the rise of the west this gen. They didn't anticipate the western PC guard coming in, and those guys sure as hell weren't compatible with what the Wii was trying to do.

And then there's online infrastructure. I don't think Nintendo has been unaware of the internet all this time, they just don't quite agree with how Sony and Microsoft are utilizing it. During the Gamecube era people at Nintendo (Iwata I think) stated that online gaming wasn't profitable enough, and that only a very small fraction of console gamers even used it back then (they were right).

Friend codes were there because Nintendo thought of online gaming as basically a secondary way to play with your existing friends. To this day Nintendo doesn't seem to completely agree with the system of paying a subscription to play with and meet new people completely online. Admittedly, friend codes were a fucking terrible way to do this. Shit, just look at how much Nintendo still emphasizes local multiplayer over online.

Anyway, to summarize, since the mid-90's you have:
-Sticking to smaller media formats to accommodate game mechanics over flashy media.
-Creating a console with a simpler control interface and weaker hardware in order to attract a whole new consumer base and encourage lower development costs.
-Emphasizing local multiplayer over online for philosophical reasons.

In my opinion what you have here is not incompetence on Nintendo's part, but an ideological war the company is waging against basically the entire rest of console gaming.

All the companies in the console retail space right now are all about bigger and better AAA games, and Nintendo seems to be vehemently AGAINST that kind of thing. They are also against targeting one specific demographic. They won't block those kinds of games on their platforms, but they aren't specifically trying to make a console where those games will sell either.

Just look at the third parties Nintendo is heavily supporting. They went and grabbed Monster Hunter, and they are deep in bed with Sega and Platinum. One of the biggest third party games Nintendo put front-and-center was Lego City Stories. They've been publishing western versions of Dragon Quest games themselves. Nintendo even offered to publish the Japanese version of Rayman Legends. Nintendo does try to put backing behind third party games, just only the ones it actually likes, which rarely, if ever, end up being a Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Personally, I don't think Nintendo can ever fully repair their relations with the big western third parties currently running the show because of these differences. They just seem to want different things. Whether that's good or bad depends on what you want.

For Nintendo to become what the big third parties and a lot of gamers want them to be, they'd probably have to cease being the company that made so many of the games we love. On the other hand, the number of publishers willing to go along with Nintendo's way of doing things is shrinking.

In my opinion Nintendo has two options if they wanna get a lot of good third party support and still remain Nintendo:
1) Somehow get Japan fully behind the Wii U.
2) Gain the heavy favor of indies and hope they blossom on Wii U.

Japanese third parties are basically how the 3DS is kicking ass right now, and in my opinion indies are more similar to Nintendo ideologically than anyone else. Of course Nintendo's main problems are tearing Japan away from the 3DS long enough to notice the Wii U and competing with Sony's heavy push for indies.

Thanks for explaining what I wanted to say in better words than I could have ever summoned.

jwhit28

It's kind of sad that major 3rd party publisher games are made in such an assembly line fashion that it was near impossible for them to capitalize on the Wii and DS success. Even now there is talk of the boxes that must be checked before Activision, EA, or Ubisoft release a game. In the end I don't think any of the efforts from Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft to diversify gaming last generation through motion controls, cameras, and other left field ideas had any effect. The homogenization of the $60 MSRP videogames will continue until we have 3 near identical boxes with near identical controllers and maybe 30 or 40 exclusive games over 7 years to separate them.

The old hardware idea doesn't at all explain how all these games coming to 360/PS3 aren't coming to Wii U.

The thing is people who are interested in 3rd party games will usually have atleast one other console. From a publisher standpoint porting games over will take sales from other platforms. If they don't port it Wii U most owners who are interested in it will still buy it on another platform. Also competing against the might of first-party on Nintendo platforms is very, very hard.

It seems like you just want a Nintendo console like the other two but that is the worst thing they could do. Then you would have at least a $400 console that third-parties still wouldn't support. People want Wii U for Nintendo games and when the console has a price drop it will be under $300 dollars, a more affordable price.

The question is how many people would only play Nintendo games with PS4/X1 visuals and would happily drop $400 on such a console? It would undoubtedly be much smaller than the people who would be willing to buy a console to only play Nintendo games but not if its $400.

No, the lack of PS360 ports is in large part due to consumers being uninterested in Wii U and even more uninterested in Wii U 3rd party games. This does go back to Nintendo's focus on the Gamepad over providing enhanced graphics and other modern features, however. Consumers simply did not respond to the Gamepad the way they have historically to enhanced graphics. Not that graphics are the only way to garner attention and sales, but in this case the Gamepad is not proving to be a worthy substitute.

There are also other options besides the ones you suggest. Nintendo could have released a system with unique features which don't jack up the console price by $150 or whatever. And Nintendo could have designed a console with power somewhere between Wii U and Xbone for less than $400.

mclem

The homogenization of the $60 MSRP videogames will continue until we have 3 near identical boxes with near identical controllers and maybe 30 or 40 exclusive games over 7 years to separate them.

If we get to that stage, there won't be three.

The days of "third party support" not being simple slapping a golden seal of approval on your 3rd party game anymore was and still is lost on Nintendo. It really is that simple folks.

Everything else falls into place or falls apart from there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The reason they were control freaks in the NES era was to prevent the market to be flooded with horrible games and cause another crash.

Oh man, Nintendo should hire you for their PR dept.
So how do you explain them threatening third party publishers if they dared to publish on a competing platform?

This is pretty comedic considering were in a thread on third parties abandoning Nintendo. Seriously, how do you think Nintendo sells tens of millions of hardware if it isnt the third parties making great games for their consoles and it isn't Nintendo making top level games for it? I would leave your personal tastes out of it. For consoles, they still have the most popular platformer, racer, rpg, fighter, and casual games out there. It is indeed incredibly tough to compete with that whether they match your personal tastes or not.

How many 10s of millions of WiiU machines have they sold? How many are they going to sell? How has their strategy been working out for them?

Wii was lighting in a bottle that they didn't even use properly. The WiiU is not that machine. They can't sell their traditional 20 million copies of a game on a 3 million user base. 4 million end of this year if I'm being generous.

The two most significant games for youth, Angry Birds and Minecraft are represented on other platforms. Nintendo's own two youth driven games, Pokémon and Animal Crossing are on 3DS. WiiU is out in the cold here with their traditional target market. This isn't doom for Nintendo by any stretch however it is a wake-up call that their console laurels have disappeared.

How many 10s of millions of WiiU machines have they sold? How many are they going to sell? How has their strategy been working out for them?

Wii was lighting in a bottle that they didn't even use properly. The WiiU is not that machine. They can't sell their traditional 20 million copies of a game on a 3 million user base. 4 million end of this year if I'm being generous.

The two most significant games for youth, Angry Birds and Minecraft are represented on other platforms. Nintendo's own two youth driven games, Pokémon and Animal Crossing are on 3DS. WiiU is out in the cold here with their traditional target market. This isn't doom for Nintendo by any stretch however it is a wake-up call that their console laurels have disappeared.
Yes Nintendo made a big mistake by not launching with some big hitters. There's no denying that. 3rd parties still weren't going to help much ever with the Wii Us sales.

Top Bottom