• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

I love watching his reviews for background noise. He's got some great material. Sad to see him go, but glad he's moving onto more projects.

Kind of a brave move, considering how the site grew around the character's popularity.

Nice to see them attempt to avoid running the character into the ground, even if he lost his freshness a good while ago.

Salsa

I appreciated the "reviews" and whatnot but he's attempt at comedy was so awful and annoying that half the time I just couldn't stand it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I appreciated the "reviews" and whatnot but he's attempt at comedy was so awful and annoying that half the time I just couldn't stand it.

This.

He has good insights, but his "character" is just annoying. No sense of humility or holding back (as opposed to say, James Rolfe's AVGN.)

Edit- OMG Salsa you're unbanned! Err, again!

Takao

Banned
Someone linked me a Digimon The Movie review he did, and he started the review by saying it wasn't a part of his childhood thus he has no nostalgia for it. When you've reached that point you should probably end it. Though, someone who tackles programs other people feel nostalgic for and can judge them without a bias what so ever would be a decent idea.

Izick

They cut Spoony and the Nostalgia Critic fizzles out two weeks later?

Just kidding. In all seriousness though, the Nostalgia Critic really was a fun kind of thing, early on, but it got to a point where I just couldn't watch it anymore because it just wasn't funny or fun, and it seems that Doug seems to have seen that as well. You know, you have to respect that. I'm sure he could have squeezed more money/views out of the NC character, but he wanted to end it because he felt nothing was left. I wish others could learn from that.

It's kind of funny to see how these different amateur reviewers have progressed over the years. Spoony has gone through his ups and downs, NC seems to have gone down hill a bit, but not terrible, the Nintendo Nerd seems to still be going strong and possibly getting bigger, and Red Letter Media seems to be growing more and more every day.

Anyway, it was a great show early on, and I hope he continues to do well. I don't really watch anything on there besides Angry Joe occasionally...hell I couldn't even name someone besides Joe, NC, or Spoony actually.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyway, it was a great show early on, and I hope he continues to do well. I don't really watch anything on there besides Angry Joe occasionally...hell I couldn't even name someone besides Joe, NC, or Spoony actually.

Anyone not watching Todd in the Shadows is doing it wrong.

He was okay but a lot of reviews I just couldn't get into compared to James Rolfe who covered games that had so many imperfections it was funny to watch (especially the Bible games).

I actually like Nostalgia Chick more for being more mellow.

Never like this dude. Good riddance.

That seems a rather harsh response. I mean, it got boring and repetitive for the last few months, but damn.

My problem with it is that I just don't care about a lot of the stuff he reviews. At this point, he's covered a vast majority of the stuff that I remember from my childhood and that I'd like to see a review about. So he started covering a lot of shit that I just can't connect with on any level. Similar thing happened with the AVGN, though his problem lately has stemmed from not really being "into" the reviews and phoning it in (IMO).

I can watch Half in the Bag every couple weeks and see them review current movies that I care about and not grow tired of their schtick because they're keeping up with the times. Eventually, the well runs dry with nostalgic material, and I just don't care about 95% of the stuff that they can possibly cover. I'll look forward to whatever he does next, but I'm glad that he's getting rid of it before it grows even staler.

Drago

whaaaat?!

no! D:

I'm gonna miss him and NC reviews (though yeah, the loudness and constant crossovers were starting to get a bit grating and it showed)... I really wish him the best of luck for future endeavors :'(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I find it hard to believe that they made enough money to buy a studio.

They made like $100,000 in the first year. And now that a lot of the producers have taken to putting commercial breaks in the middle of their videos, they're probably still raking in the money.

Razek

Banned
He was okay but a lot of reviews I just couldn't get into compared to James Rolfe who covered games that had so many imperfections it was funny to watch (especially the Bible games).

I actually like Nostalgia Chick more for being more mellow.

Yeah, I agree. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer here but AVGN was just way, way, better. I gave Nostalgia Critic a fair chance but I just never enjoyed myself watching his videos.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I like how people are seemingly unable to separate the character from the performer. Doug's personality is nothing like Nostalgia Critic's, just like James' is nothing like AVGN's.

Also Doug himself isn't disappearing from the internet. If anything, he's going to be MORE present, since they're working on several new shows, and I'm sure more than one will prominently feature Doug. Plus Doug still has like three other shows still running (Ask That Guy, Bum Reviews, Video Game Confessions).

I never understood how this guy could have such a huge fanbase, everything I've seen of him was unfunny and not even particularly informed.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
That's fine. Nostalgia Chick is still there for me!

Actually, I have been watching more of the other critics stuff and it's really good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That's fine. Nostalgia Chick is still there for me!

Actually, I have been watching more of the other critics stuff and it's really good.

For real. Todd in the Shadows, Brad Jones, NChick, Obscuras Lupa, and Luke Mochire (who actually IS the son of Colin Mochrie, I've discovered) are really good.

Glad he "hung up the coat," probably realized he wasn't funny.

Yes, I'm sure this is exactly what happened. "Well gee, the site is raking in money and NC videos are the most popular thing on the site. Guess I'm not funny, time to hang it up!".

Never liked the Nostalgia Critic. It's AVGN or nothing. I liked the Nerd crossover with Pat, but the one with the Critic was just as bad as the critic episodes.

Edit: And he comes off as such a pompous asshole in the OP video. I don't even know what the last episode he is referencing is, and he acts like he's James f'in Cameron after T2.

Some of his earlier material was golden, but over the past year and a half his reviews were becoming more and more unbearable. I can't say I'm too surprised when they already announced this would be the final anniversary film. I feel like what killed NC the most was his attempt to do a weekly show, same thing happened to the AVGN when he was doing bi-weekly videos. I'd rather see NC go to once a month where each review can be really well crafted.

Valhelm

contribute something
That's a shame. Lindsey Ellis was always leagues beyond better than him, but I've been a pretty avid watcher for three or four years now, and have seen nearly all of his videos.

Good for him though for knowing when to stop and branching out into other fields. I'm pretty excited as to what Doug will do now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Already commented in the official thread, but like I said there was some good in there, but you could see it was running out of steam. This to me seems like a bad idea to be honest though. I don't see much happening in the future for his career, I may be wrong though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Already commented in the official thread, but like I said there was some good in there, but you could see it was running out of steam. This to me seems like a bad idea to be honest though. I don't see much happening in the future for his career, I may be wrong though.

The site itself can probably survive just fine off the strength of the other reviewers (Linkara, NC, and I believe Brad all get a very respectable amount of traffic, not to mention the scores of other reviewers). For Doug personally though...yeah, I don't know what this means for him. I HOPE Demo Reel will take off for him, but part of me thinks that NC was a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing that just happened to take off. Let's hope I'm wrong here.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered. Doug & Rob, NChick, and Todd all signed exclusivity deals with blip.tv about three months ago. So they're probably getting a good chunk of money from that too.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
He'll be fine. I'm assuming he will be getting into producing more stuff.

Best of luck to him.

I stopped watching him when he didnt know how to pronounce Tone Loc.

How do you pronounce it?

Been following NC since his review exchange with the Angry Video Game Nerd, and have been faithfully watching ever since. I've followed some of the other reviewers on his site, but mostly Linkara (who is actually a member of another board I go to), and I'm excited to see where he's going to go from here on out.

Dai101

Banned
I like how people are seemingly unable to separate the character from the performer. Doug's personality is nothing like Nostalgia Critic's, just like James' is nothing like AVGN's.

GAj0o.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While his later videos are not as good as his old ones, it's nice that he knows when to move on.

Never liked the Nostalgia Critic. It's AVGN or nothing. I liked the Nerd crossover with Pat, but the one with the Critic was just as bad as the critic episodes.

Edit: And he comes off as such a pompous asshole in the OP video. I don't even know what the last episode he is referencing is, and he acts like he's James f'in Cameron after T2.

...wow.

Arthrus

He created a great site that accumulated a number of great reviewers, but his act had no insight to it. His particular act was enjoyable for a while, but anyone dedicated would find it stale after a while.

The Nostalgia Chick's reviews have almost always been enjoyable for their insight into the film/animation industries. Even the early stuff where she emulated the Nostalgia Critic was pretty good.

border

I haven't seen any of his videos in a while, but I remember enjoying them a good deal.

I think I stopped watching because at some point he just started reviewing shows and movies that neither he nor I actually had any experience with. Which seems like it kinda defeats the purpose of it, other than just the fish-in-the-barrel process of mocking early 90's children's programming.

I actually rather liked the show when he would take on the Sacred Cows of GenX/GenY childhood.....the stuff that we love to remember but that we forget was actually kinda garbage (the TMNT cartoon, X-Men cartoon, Transformers).

Mesoian

It's fine. The last 8 months or so have been pretty bad on that site. Actual wit and humor were steadily being replaced by nothing but screaming and slapstick. It's clear that Doug hit everything he wanted to hit, ending it before it got REAL bad was a good move.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's fine. The last 8 months or so have been pretty bad on that site. Actual wit and humor were steadily being replaced by nothing but screaming and slapstick. It's clear that Doug hit everything he wanted to hit, ending it before it got REAL bad was a good move.

Yeah. It's actually evident in his later videos, so it's good that he's doing this.

Top Bottom