• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I watched his Top 10 Worst Cartoon Remakes episode. His number one pick was "Scooby Doo, all of them". I thought to myself "Yeah that's fair, if you exclude Mystery Incorporated, which was great."

Then he specifically called out Mystery Inc as being one of the terrible ones.

Nope. I ceased my exploration of his other videos, because I can no longer accept his opinion.

And even then the scooby doo cartoon movies are worth watching just for the out of this world experience

zeemumu

that feel when you think Evan Almighty is actually more on the mediocre than bad

Well it's not a poorly made movie. It's just kinda meh. Plus it's pretty hard to follow Jim Carrey's performance in any film if Son of the Mask and Cat in the Hat are any indicator.

Boss Doggie

Well it's not a poorly made movie. It's just kinda meh. Plus it's pretty hard to follow Jim Carrey's performance in any film if Son of the Mask and Cat in the Hat are any indicator.

yeah that's what I mean, it's not really bad, just mediocre, and most of it comes from follow Jim Carrey, and compared ot most Carrey sequels it works.

Speaking of which NC should really make vids about other Carrey's sequel films.

Boss Doggie

I remember the smurfs 2 teaser, man it was really creepy

ahh
Tale of Two Kitties
, I was forced to watch that

I'm pretty glad the Smurfs live action films ended after 2 films. It was already enough that the Alvin and the Chipmunks live action film series existed, which I still wish would die in a fire. >_<

And the same could pretty much be said for
the Garfield live action films
, ending after just 2 films.

You dodged a bullet
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
, even though I did find that much better than the first film.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm sure he'll eventually get to Rise of the Silver Surfer, then to Fant4stic.

That (Smurfs 2) was such a nothing movie.
It was Sony wasn't it? I'm starting to think that Sony Pictures has had major problems long before the hack.

Uzumaki Goku

I'm sure he'll eventually get to Rise of the Silver Surfer, then to Fant4stic.

It was Sony wasn't it? I'm starting to think that Sony Pictures has had major problems long before the hack.

Did you see what their plans were for Spider-Man. Thank God they went with the team up with Marvel

so the only big franchise Sony Pictures has is the Minions one huh?

The Despicable Me series is owned by Universal, not Sony.

Yup it was. Sony Pictures really doesn't have a good track record, ever since the start of the millennia. It's even worse given that they also own Happy Madison (the studio owned by Adam Sandler) and Sony Pictures Animation is very much average a best (at least it's not worse than Blue Sky Studios in regards to the Ice Age franchise). But boy am I not looking forward to the Emoji Movie, which is SPA's next film. Plus the controversy that surrounded Sausage Party, over the director not crediting about 36 animators and the poor working conditions.

Boss Doggie

The Despicable Me series is owned by Universal, not Sony.

oh wait I was mistaking it for Open Season, my bad

They still own Spider-Man.

Also, we haven't heard anything solid yet, but it looks like they'll be holding on to James Bond for a little while longer too.

So the marvel thing is more of a joint project then? I wonder why Fox still holds F4 and X-Men so tightly

You dodged a bullet
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
, even though I did find that much better than the first film.

I actually think that, Galactus cloud aside, they actually managed to capture most of the comic book aspect of F4, I'd argue it's the "best" (quotation marks) out of the F4 movies we had

It's even worse given that they also own Happy Madison (the studio owned by Adam Sandler) and Sony Pictures Animation is very much average a best (at least it's not worse than Blue Sky Studios in regards to the Ice Age franchise). But boy am I not looking forward to the Emoji Movie, which is SPA's next film.

Eh, I'd say Blue Sky Studios actually has a few legs-up on SPA. Better track record in terms of adaptations; The Peanuts Movie and Horton Hears a Who! vs. the first two live-action Smurfs...case closed. Not resorting to cheap DTV films; which on the part of SPA now includes an animated WWE vehicle claiming to be a sequel to an otherwise standalone unrelated film...ten years after the fact). And having way better creative control overall; while The Emoji Movie got greenlit, Gennedy Tartavotsky's Popeye and Lauren Frost's Medusa both got scrapped. The studio was so bad with this, that the Lord/Miller duo turned down Sony's offer to run the studio, with their very telling reason being that "artists have been treated like paper, and it's too hard to do great work there."

So the marvel thing is more of a joint project then? I wonder why Fox still holds F4 and X-Men so tightly

I actually think that, Galactus cloud aside, they actually managed to capture most of the comic book aspect of F4, I'd argue it's the "best" (quotation marks) out of the F4 movies we had

Well prepare for a pretty long post here.

Pretty much the reason Fox still holds the X-Men and F4 film rights is because they have generally done well at the box office, though in regards to F4 (given the reboot's panning and being a box office bomb) that may no longer be the case. The X-Men First Class Trilogy (plus The Wolverine) has been generally well received (aside from the mixed reception of Apocalypse) and partly praised for rebooting the whole X-Men franchise through cosmic retcon, and effectively erasing most of the despised things that occurred during the original trilogy out of existence, as well as X-Men Origins: Wolverine (though can't remember if that film was non-canon to begin with). And the Deadpool film has became the highest grossing X-Men ever, in spite of the relatively low budget and R-rating.

Though these days, Marvel and Fox have buried the hatchet and have collaborated to produce TV shows set in the X-Men universe, like the upcoming Legion and an untitled X-Men series. They also did an exchange in which Fox got permission from Marvel to make some changes to Negasonic Teenage Warhead for the Deadpool film, with Marvel receiving the film rights of Ego the Living Planet from Fox, who will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

The reason why Marvel and Sony have more or less collaborated to produce the next Spider-Man film, was because (prior to Sony and Marvel collaborating) the Amazing Spider-Man 2 performed below Sony's expectations; they were expecting ASM2 to gross $1 billion, but instead it grossed over $700 million, around $50 less than the ASM1. Sony intended to have AMS2 launch an expanded film universe to compete with the MCU, which would have included 2 more ASM films and spin-offs for the Sinster Six and Venom. ASM2 was by no means a box office bomb, but there was apparent marketing issues that occurred. To add insult to injury, ASM2 is currently the lowest grossing modern day Spider-Man film. That coupled with Andrew Garfield criticizing Sony for the executive meddling of ASM2 which in turn got Sony to plan to have Garfield replaced for the next films, it was pretty clear Spider-Man in film was very much in jeopardy. Eventually, Sony executives decided to cancel the planned expanded universe in favor of collaborating with Marvel Studios to add Spider-Man to the MCU. The only exception is that Sony went ahead with the standalone Venom apparently, which won't be part of the any Spider-Man film or the MCU. And not to mention the upcoming animated Spider-Man film.

Phew! I wrote a mouthful!

And yeah looking back at the F4 films directed by Tim Story, I'd say I have a more positive opinion on them, in light of how terrible Fant4stic was.

Eh, I'd say Blue Sky Studios actually has a few legs-up on SPA. Better track record in terms of adaptations; The Peanuts Movie and Horton Hears a Who! vs. the first two live-action Smurfs...case closed. Not resorting to cheap DTV films; which on the part of SPA now includes an animated WWE vehicle claiming to be a sequel to an otherwise standalone unrelated film...ten years after the fact). And having way better creative control overall; while The Emoji Movie got greenlit, Gennedy Tartavotsky's Popeye and Lauren Frost's Medusa both got scrapped. The studio was so bad with this, that the Lord/Miller duo turned down Sony's offer to run the studio, with their very telling reason being that "artists have been treated like paper, and it's too hard to do great work there."

I see. Yeah the Peanuts Movie was great and Horton Hears a Who! was pretty decent. But I mostly look back at the Ice Age franchise, which I think went downhill after the Meltdown. Only SPA films I had watched were the Hotel Transylvania and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs films, which I actually find pretty bearable and I actually commend Adam Sandler as Dracula to be a great voice performance, especially given his previously poor to average track record in his film. I would agree that the Sony DTV are pretty unnecessary; I never did watch any of the Open Season DTV sequels, so glad I avoided that. And Surf's Up 2: WaveMania, oh god! I also did not watch that, but I had a feeling that was going to be a turn for the worst.

Boss Doggie

So there's hope F4 and Doom might finally migrate to Marvel with the F4 bomb?

And I didn't realize Deadpool was a Fox film.

tomtom94

Garfield 2 is a surprising choice, I have to say (I was expecting Alice Through the Looking Glass), but then I guess they were always going to be looking for a sequel where there was something interesting to say rather than it just being more of the same.

Cheerilee

Only SPA films I had watched were the Hotel Transylvania and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs films, which I actually find pretty bearable and I actually commend Adam Sandler as Dracula to be a great voice performance, especially given his previously poor to average track record in his film.

Hotel Transylvania was definitely the best movie Adam Sandler was attached to in years (maybe forever).

Rather than leaving Hotel Transylvania 2 to the people who made the first one good, Adam Sandler decided to throw his Executive Producer weight around and try to make sure that HT2 was raised up to the Adam Sandler standard. That man is cinematic poison.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, HT2 was really garbage and a massive decline in quality compared to HT

That should have been featured in NC's sequel month. He loved HT that seeing HT2 must've been a hard hit on him.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Hotel Transylvania was definitely the best movie Adam Sandler was attached to in years (maybe forever).

Rather than leaving Hotel Transylvania 2 to the people who made the first one good, Adam Sandler decided to throw his Executive Producer weight around and try to make sure that HT2 was raised up to the Adam Sandler standard. That man is cinematic poison.

Hotel Transylvania 2 is easily one of the biggest cinematic disappointments of my lifetime.

The first film was generally charming, heartwarming, funny, and downright likable. The characters were all enjoyable and you were rooting for them at the end of the film.

The sequel just made everyone unlikable caricatures of themselves. If fell down the dreaded "poop and fart jokes and bright colors and loud sounds to distract your children" hole that so many CGI films of the 2000s fell down.

Jawmuncher

Doug Walker got knocked out by the Norovirus.
Rob Walker got knocked out by the Norovirus.
Tamara got knocked out by the Norovirus.

Give the show to Malcolm for the day. Seriously. It would be the funniest thing ever.

They really should. I hope it's something they plan to do this year.

>raised up

On one hand, lol

On the other hand, HT2's Tomato-meter on RT is actually 10% higher than the original, so you might have a point. =P

(Have only seen the first, which I found fine; but if I ever see the sequel, I'll definitely tread with caution.)

Jawmuncher

I feel like this was a pretty weak sequel month. All 3 sequels were rather too recent I feel.
Like I know the show format is different now, but I would have though he'd do something older. Like that 3rd American Tale movie or something.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Surprised he hasn't done that one yet.

The original idea of a horror movie sounded so much better. Damn producers...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to remember whose review I originally watched as to how I discovered the movie.

I want to say it was a crossover between JesuOtaku &......Linkara? It's a very old review.

Edit: Holy crap, that original idea of the movie being a horror film sounds rather neat. At the very least, a lot better than what we got.

zeemumu

I know NC's done video game reviews in the past but I wonder if he'd ever put any consideration into doing a review of a story-driven videogame, like Heavy Rain or Telltale's Walking Dead.

I know NC's done video game reviews in the past but I wonder if he'd ever put any consideration into doing a review of a story-driven videogame, like Heavy Rain or Telltale's Walking Dead.

An NC review of Heavy Rain could have a lot of comedic potential. Maybe even Beyond Two Souls.

This was a pretty good episode. I like how he acknowledged the production problems of the film, while also pointing out hot fairly shitty the final product was. Also, it seems like it's been forever since he's looked at a film from the 90's.

Review was funny to look at. First time I heard about Ralph Bakshi and didn't really know of the film "Cool World" until recently within 2 years before now.

Though considering what "Cool World" was intended to be before studio interference, it does once again show the consequences of executive meddling.

Link1110

Gonna check this out when I get home tonight. I know of the movie from back in the day(and it had a SNES game iirc) bit never got around to seeing it. Always looked like a more sexual Roger rabbit. Curious to see the review

Nudull

Banned
I've always known about the behind the scenes issues with Cool World, but never saw the concept art for the original pitch. Pretty interesting.

Top Bottom