• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office... will it be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

The US version of "The Office" premieres tonight. I am a huge fan of the orginal version and own all the DVDs. How do you think the US version will turn out? If you've already seen it, what did you think?

david_points_640.jpg

--->

1OFFaoN04.jpg

Ecrofirt

I just found out the other day that this is supposed to take place in my local Bumfuck, PA area. I wonder if they did any shots in actual Scranton.

Bigfoot

Society said:
How is it setup?

Remake of the UK episodes, or new episodes with The Office name for the US market.
I've heard it's a remake, with some dialogue changes of course. I'm thinking of watching the original series first episode right before to catch the changes.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
The only BBC to US conversions I've seen were the Red Dwarf pilot (dear God that was terrible), Coupling (meh) and All in the Family (good!). It's been a while since AITF went off the air, maybe it's time for a good one.

RedDwarf said:
The only BBC to US conversions I've seen were the Red Dwarf pilot (dear God that was terrible), Coupling (meh) and All in the Family (good!). It's been a while since AITF went off the air, maybe it's time for a good one.

Three's Company was originally a UK show rebagged for US audiences.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
why has this show been 'retooled' for american audiences? can't they just watch the original ones?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Here's your answer: what good is a 13 episode series to an American broadcast network?

Ollie Pooch

Dan said:
Here's your answer: what good is a 13 episode series to an American broadcast network?

i hate to see how they'll artificially extend those 13 episodes out into a full 'us broadcast network-friendly' season :lol and they're different actors right? who's playing gareth?

Dan

julls said:
i hate to see how they'll artificially extend those 13 episodes out into a full 'us broadcast network-friendly' season :lol and they're different actors right? who's playing gareth?
Umm, write new material? Is this really brain surgery? Networks don't create shows that can't be continued, and shows in America don't make profits until syndication. The goal here is to do several seasons. I can't believe I have to explain this.

robojimbo said:
I was under the impression it was basically an entirely different show only with "The Office" title and format. All of the characters even have different names. I haven't seen the originals, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

It is, only the first episode is the same.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
From the flash clips i saw it looks crap but it could be ok. It's just the originals were amazing and i don't like the fact that this americaanised one could cheapen the name.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Newbie said:
Know where I could get a hold of that?

I have a copy on video somewhere that someone snagged for me at a record show. I'm sure there's a trader online somewhere who has it.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
well, at least this will serve to bring a new audience to the bbc show and pick up some dvd sales for it. i can't see it lasting long.. widescreen and offbeat humor won't make it on nbc. oh well, it's taking committed's time slot, so we've somehow made out positive in this deal.

The Shadow said:
Three's Company was originally a UK show rebagged for US audiences.

Three's Company was originally called Three Companies about a trio of pharmaceutical companies. It was ten times funnier.

SKluck

Banned
As a side note, what the hell is with different length seasons for cable? I don't recall any cable show EVER having more than like 18 episodes in a season. Usually it's 13 or 14. 13 seems to be the most common. All premium HBO/SHO shows are like this and other networks too like The Shield and Chappelle Show, Southpark etc.

Whats up with that? Is it a matter of funding? Many cable shows go many seasons, so they could go for 22 episodes I would think.

ManaByte

Gold Member
SKluck said:
As a side note, what the hell is with different length seasons for cable? I don't recall any cable show EVER having more than like 18 episodes in a season. Usually it's 13 or 14. 13 seems to be the most common. All premium HBO/SHO shows are like this and other networks too like The Shield and Chappelle Show, Southpark etc.

Whats up with that? Is it a matter of funding? Many cable shows go many seasons, so they could go for 22 episodes I would think.

IIRC cable networks don't need to pad out a season for February and May sweeps.

Dan

SKluck said:

Cable and premium channels draw smaller audiences on average, so there's more relative risk in ordering large batches of episodes or keeping production on standby for quick orders.

Personally, I don't mind one bit. I don't know any show on network, except maybe Arrested Development, that can do a season of 20+ episodes and be stellar all the way through. Even the other network shows I like are littered with clunkers. So much of those seasons are just filler to keep that advertising revenue rolling in as idiots tune in to watch their favorite characters do the same shit they've been doing for years.

skip

perhaps I'm the only one who liked it. not as good as the original, but much much better than I thought it'd be. too bad nbc won't stick with it.

Ollie Pooch

Dan said:
Umm, write new material? Is this really brain surgery? Networks don't create shows that can't be continued, and shows in America don't make profits until syndication. The goal here is to do several seasons. I can't believe I have to explain this.

no shit.

but seeing as someone mentioned they heard it was the same as the BBC series, but with 'some dialogue changes' made me assume they'd have to extend the existing storyline used in the UK show. and if ricky gervais is not involved in creating the additional episodes, they'll surely suck - that is, if they're going for the same feel as the british one. eh, what do i care :p

pnjtony

It'll be cancelled for sure. I really like Steve Carell but I see him more in a supporting role. I don't think he can carry this. It's more cartoonish than anything...if it lasts till the end of the season then I'll be impressed. Of course we're already halfway through the season.....and Joey is still on so what the hell do I know?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Its not going to be better than the original. It will be good of course, because its a british comedy and most of them are good, but I think that the original cast is better.

Future

---------------------
It's more cartoonish than anything
---------------------

Yeah. The boss dude reminds me of what Homer Simpson turned into when the Simpsons got less funny. Almost too ridiculous...like he's just trying to be ridiculous.

pnjtony

that was actually a take on a smaller bit in the original series. They just took a smaller bit from the original and made it the central storyline.

Future said:
---------------------
It's more cartoonish than anything
---------------------

Yeah. The boss dude reminds me of what Homer Simpson turned into when the Simpsons got less funny. Almost too ridiculous...like he's just trying to be ridiculous.

So so sooooo true.

ManaByte

Gold Member
pnjtony said:
that was actually a take on a smaller bit in the original series. They just took a smaller bit from the original and made it the central storyline.

Yes, but it's still funny.

Dan

Probably, it's just a late season replacement right now. If it scores well, then it'll return next fall. That's how it goes. Lots of shows debut like this.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I thought it was pretty decent. Though I havent seen the UK version. A little less Carell and a little more of everyone else would be nice though.

aparisi2274

Last night ep was basically word for word from the British pilot script. Even Ricky Gervais had a teleplay credit last night. However, every new episode that is going to air, will be new material, and will not borrow from any scripts that were used in the BBC version.

Also, I thought it was a pretty funny show, but it did have slow points. I mean do you all expect it to come out of the gate with huge numbers... nobody gives anything a chance anymore.

Hell when Friends started back in 93, it was doing shit numbers, and then 10yrs later look at it! It was a Behemoth

Friends also aired in the middle of a sit-com boom. At the moment, if you're not reality TV or have been on for several years already, your days are numbered unless you put big points on the board.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I've seen a few episodes of the original series and it was strange to have a different actor playing the lead character, but overall I thought it was pretty good. The pacing seemed similar and I can't see it lasting past its initial run due to most people thinking it was way too slow and unfunny. +1

ohamsie

My family thought it was awful and changed the channel halfway through. I thought we should give it a chance, although I admit I didn't really fight that hard for it. :/

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
aparisi2274 said:
Last night ep was basically word for word from the British pilot script. Even Ricky Gervais had a teleplay credit last night. However, every new episode that is going to air, will be new material, and will not borrow from any scripts that were used in the BBC version.

Also, I thought it was a pretty funny show, but it did have slow points. I mean do you all expect it to come out of the gate with huge numbers... nobody gives anything a chance anymore.

Hell when Friends started back in 93, it was doing shit numbers, and then 10yrs later look at it! It was a Behemoth

Yeah I've heard it really picks up steam once they branch out on their own a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom