• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

MikeB

Banned
@ RamzaIsCool

My favourite beat ‘m up on the Amiga was that martial arts simulator. Again I totally forgot the name, but you start of in a village where you can walk to various locations like dojo (to spar)

Budokan.

The first fighting game I bought for my Amiga in 1989 was Chambers of Shaolin :)

cd323.jpg

http://hol.abime.net/2969/screenshot

j^aws

Marconelly said:
You mean Microsoft and Sony? :O
It's the way of the future IMO. Everything is becoming a multifunctional hub these days. Amiga was just too early and not quite capable.

Well, I only applied the aforementioned "pattern" to a singular "brand"... some would be more resistant to 'poison' than others...

I do agree that the Amiga was ahead of it's time though... and that everything is trying to become a multi-funtional hub these days to different degrees; it's kinda expected.

What I was inferring was that; much like 'The Holy Grail', it's very difficult to attain and choose 'correctly': Always desirable, yet often, very damaging. There's something about the business model that goes against the 'grain'. Something that is a jack-of-all *and* a master-of-all type device... but not quite there, IMO.

Amiga_Warhead.png

Warhead was always one game I wanted to play, but I never could find it at the time of the 16 bit machines. Later I tried to play it with an emulator, but emulators were unable to run it well enough at the time. Nowadays emulators are probably good enough, I really should try it again. It's a shame that these old games are not very user friendly by todays standards, I probably get pissed off after 10 minutes and never touch it again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhead_(computer_game)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SpoonyBard said:
Amiga_Warhead.png

Warhead was always one game I wanted to play, but I never could find it at the time of the 16 bit machines. Later I tried to play it with an emulator, but emulators were unable to run it well enough at the time. Nowadays emulators are probably good enough, I really should try it again. It's a shame that these old games are not very user friendly by todays standards, I probably get pissed off after 10 minutes and never touch it again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhead_(computer_game)
Warhead has to be the best, or the 2nd best game ever made if you ask me, relative to what else was available at the time of it's release. Nothing, except for Ico kept me so much on the tip of my toes while playing it.

It's weird how dead serious that game was and how cool it all was. Based hard sci-fi, the science was pretty accurate or at least believable, and so was the ship control (thrust vector was independent from the ship rotation, just as it has to be in the space). The review in my computer magazine of choice back then made this game that much greater, because the review itself was written through the author's personal experience with the game, it was kinda like the part of the narrative used in the game itself.

Controls and interface are still pretty cool, nothing frustrating there even by todays standards.

*edit* Also, you MUST find the version of this game that has the intro sequence that shows the backstory through the text, pictures and music. That music has to be one of the greatest game pieces ever composed, and sets the scary and gloomy atmosphere perfectly.

I wish people who made this game would be interviewed. I would love to know what made them tick, and how did they come to make a game like this.

Marconelly said:
I wish people who made this game would be interviewed. I would love to know what made them tick, and how did they come to make a game like this.

I think the game was made by Glyn Williams pretty much alone. He was also with Particle Systems when they made I-War.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SpoonyBard said:
I think the game was made by Glyn Williams pretty much alone. He was also with Particle Systems when they made I-War.
He even did the music? I knew he was on I-war, and I tried playing it for that reason, but it just wasn't the same. I remember it having some cartoony characters, which I didn't like. Maybe I should try it again.

Marconelly said:
He even did the music? I knew he was on I-war, and I tried playing it for that reason, but it just wasn't the same. I remember it having some cartoony characters, which I didn't like. Maybe I should try it again.

Maybe not the music, but he seems to be the only person credited to the game, and seems to have the full IP rights himself.

(just downloaded the ST version of the game and PaCifiST emulator, will try later)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You need Amiga version for the best experience though. I'm pretty sure the music suffered in the ST version, and you can get really smooth framerate on (emulated) faster amiga CPUs, but you also need patched version of the game to get smooth framerate.

Turrican3

SiegfriedFM said:
You could probably run a CD32 through RGB SCART like the Amiga itself and get a decent picture nowadays.
Unfortunately, you can only obtain RGB output from an unexpanded CD32 via a small trick: you have to disassemble it and directly solder some wires near the expansion bus (where you could put the FMV MPEG module), that's where you can access the R, G and B signals.

The best video output available on a standard CD32 is SVideo.

Kuran

Banned
I'm dreaming of improved and playable Amiga emulation on PSP. I never got that last version (christmas edition) to work, but I imagine it didn't really improve the framerate/sound support in most games?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marc said:
The review in my computer magazine of choice
Svet Kompjutera? ;)

That review made the game for me too - as well as it communicated immersion far and beyond anything game cinematics could ever achieve - and it matched so perfectly the audio/visual atmosphere in the game.
There were a few truly stellar writers on computer magazines in our country in those days, and it wasn't until many years later when crap like "Joker" and localized "PC Magazine" started being published when I realized just how fortunate we were in the past.

I think what made Warhead experience so great was how the world it created played on your imagination, in a similar manner ICO and SOTC does.

I have really fond memories of

onslaughtdoublebarrelschr3.png

and

nrolldoublebarrelscreenfq7.png

on my Atari ST

I never really understood them in my childhood but still enjoy them today.

dejay

Banned
Awesome thread - enjoyed reading it before I was approved for GAF postage. I'd forgotten some of these gaming gems when someone would post a game name or picture and I'd get that nostalgic glow once again.

I remember the Amiga very fondly and quite vividly. My parents got me and my brother a 500 one Christmas. Our first games were Defender of the Crown, Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True and Marble Madness. That was on a 500 running through an RF modulator into our TV. Then we got a 1084S stereo monitor, a 512KB RAM expansion, and an extra floppy drive.

At the end of high school I got all of my friends into Amigas. One friend ended up having a 1200, and three 3000s.

Eventually I got a CD-32 and was going to get some mod package for it (I think it was called an SX-32) which would have allowed me to add a hard drive and keyboard - essentially turning it into 1200 with a CD drive.

However, around that time I saw Duke Nukem 3D and my love of Amiga, which had been the pinnacle of gaming for me to that point, was put on hold as I desperately started saving for a 486. I sold my CD-32 shortly after, before Commodore bit the dust.

Anyway, other fond memories of the Amiga age include: mucking around with the various Tracker programs, null-modem cable gaming with friends, pouring through glossy Amiga magazines, the previously mentioned PD (Fred Fish) collections and the awesome demo scene.

Here are some games that haven't been mentioned yet - probably because most of them were PD or shareware:

Gravity Power
4tqazgh.jpg

Awesome, AWESOME two player game - spent hours and hours on it with a few mates. Split screen that merged when ships came close together or link via cable. So many variables could be adjusted to make the replay value enormous.

Deluxe Galaga AGA
6apjhnl.jpg

The best Galaga game I've ever played. I literally played one game all night once, clocking it more than three times and only stopping because I had to go to work.

Extreme Violence
4p1zwcn.jpg

Very simple yet amazingly fun two player game. Many wet days were spent playing this.

Dogfight
538niqh.jpg

Another insanely addictive 2 player game.

No Second Prize
520wwhz.jpg

Took me a while to track down the name of this - I'd forgotten it's name. Anyway, a very trippy vector graphic motorcycle game with a great sense of speed. Smooth framerates, slick graphics and great use of stereo sound. I must admit to smoking a fair bit of pot back then and this was the perfect game to go with it! The mouse control took a bit of getting used to but with practice you could flick the bike around nicely.

Again - this is a great thread.

(edit) This is the site I used to get info on these games if you're interested.

dejay said:
Extreme Violence
4p1zwcn.jpg

Very simple yet amazingly fun two player game. Many wet days were spent playing this.
Awww i *LOVED* this game back in the day! I can't remember what my favourite weapon was though, I've got vague memories of running around desperately trying to find it as soon as the level started.

dejay

Banned
There were bouncing bullets (I think), bullets that went through walls (I called them sucker bullets because of the sucking noise they made), fast boots and fast bullets. Fast bullets combined with sucker bullets and fast boots made a formidable combination.

dejay said:
There were bouncing bullets (I think), bullets that went through walls (I called them sucker bullets because of the sucking noise they made), fast boots and fast bullets. Fast bullets combined with sucker bullets and fast boots made a formidable combination.
Ahh yes the ones that went through walls. Haha I remember playing it loads with my mum back when I musta been 7 or 8.

Kuran

Banned
No Second Prize was great. I remember one of the magazines gave the whole game away on a cover disk... the mouse control was superb. Too bad it didn't have a 2 player mode..

Edit: I believe you could play it with a friend if you networked two Amiga's together.. but I wasn't leet enough for that.

I remember F1 and Lotus Esprit Turbo 2 as some of the best 2 player race-experience I had back then... F1 (also called Vroom) had an insane sense of speed.

I remember hilarious races against my brother where I would hit the breaks when ahead, so he'd fly into my rear at insane speeds... and crash. When we played the game again ten years later this is the first tactic we'd use...

vroom2.gif

Lotus Esprit Turbo 2 had some moments in the second level where you would go so fast, so that visually it would appear that you were standing still, or travelling backwards... that just gave me a sense of awe at the time.

I associate my Amiga with my youth, and my brother specifically, I was never closer to him then the time where we used to play together.

Well he did show me his penis a few years later.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fafalada said:
Svet Kompjutera? ;)
:lol Yes!

There were a few truly stellar writers on computer magazines in our country in those days, and it wasn't until many years later when crap like "Joker" and localized "PC Magazine" started being published when I realized just how fortunate we were in the past.
Sooo true. SK is not what it was either, sadly. It has become a lot like those magazines that I never liked.

I think what made Warhead experience so great was how the world it created played on your imagination, in a similar manner ICO and SOTC does.
Yes, there's something to be said about the lack of exposure that's common in all of them (as well as Another World for example). At any moment in the game, you know just enough to go on, never too much, and actually probably a little less than you'd want to know, but the world itself is interesting enough that you actually *want* to know more, and your imagination kicks in before you even realize it.

What makes Warhead different than any of the games mentioned however, is that it's the only game among them where you don't have a living friend to look for or to be helped by. Your "friend" in this case is the ship, and it's complex but rewarding controls, autopilots and navigation systems, and the chunky looks as well, really do a great job at giving it some gritty personality. The enemy as well (both insects and Berzerker), clearly alien, with mind and logic of their own, which alone makes them scary and repulsive somehow. Berzerker is quite possibly the most memorable adversary I've ever faced in a game, along some of the Collosi in SotC and the Queen in Ico.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
What sold me on my Amiga 1000 was FA-18 hornet. I loved flight sims at
the time. How many of you were old enough to actually appreciate what the Amiga was for it's time? Just wondering. I am 38 and man, when I got financing for it, I was in computer Nirvana.

Okay, this is ridiculous. How is it possible that I not only missed Warhead, but never even heard of it?! When was it released? I'd given up my Amiga for an SGI in 1994...

...time to search the internet(s)...

KongRudi

Banned
Mayhem were a awesome 4 player turbo-raketti similar game, I remember me and a few friends taking turns playing this one for weeks...
Two people with Joystick, and two people on the keyboard.

We never came over the original game, only the 4 level demo..
It would be awesome with a remake of this one.. :) I'd pay full price for that. :)

mayhem_02.gif

mayhem_01.gif

Zabojnik

Fafalada said:
Svet Kompjutera? ;)

That review made the game for me too - as well as it communicated immersion far and beyond anything game cinematics could ever achieve - and it matched so perfectly the audio/visual atmosphere in the game.

Surely you're joking, right? I don't want to derail the thread (and since there's probably only a few of us who know what we're talking about here the chances for that are extremly low, hehe) but Joker has to be the best gaming magazine there ever was. It's leagues ahead of anything out there. Too bad there's only a couple million people who understand the great slovenian language. Please don't ever again put true crap like (badly) localized gaming mags next to an authentic made in Slovenia product in the same sentence again. Thank you. :)

elgordo

Oh what I'd give for a new version of Kick Off. I played that game so much I dreamt about it. Somebody tell Dino Dini to start working again.

Did Psygnosis get bought by Sony back in the day? Is it still the same team who makes Wipeout?

D.Cowboys said:
the time. How many of you were old enough to actually appreciate what the Amiga was for it's time? Just wondering. I am 38 and man, when I got financing for it, I was in computer Nirvana.
Haha, I'm 22 and while my memory is foggy at best, I associate the Amiga as being the most enjoyable time of my 'gaming' life. Perhaps it's because to me gaming was relatively new (I'd only played the on Spectrum and BBC before it) and it was at an arguably exciting time of gaming development... But still, I can't think of enjoying games as much as I did back then.

I'm gutted that my family sold ours with well over 100 games years and years ago for probably something like £50. I'd kill to be able to have that stuff back.

MikeB

Banned
@ KongRudi

Mayhem were a awesome 4 player turbo-raketti similar game

I grew up with Thrust on the c64 and Oids on the Atari ST as a 10 year old. Great fun! :)

Some Amiga clones I played the most:

Phoenix Fighters

1PMission1.half.gif

2PMission1.half.gif

2PMission4.half.gif

Roketz (Freeware!)

roketz.jpg

MikeB

Banned
Two more very fun Amiga classics:

Robocod (James Pond 2)

jamespond2_4.png

jamespond2_2.png

Battle Squadron (Hybris 2)

Battlesquadron.png

I'll stop now, there are just too many! :D

eso76

D.Cowboys said:

F/A 18 interceptor :)

I used to have an msx and a C64 (who hadn't ?) back when i first time i saw an amiga 1000 at a friend's; he didn't have much besides a few sport games, including a tennis game where you could actually go up to the umpire and type your complaints / insults. I remember typing "the umpire is a pig" and actually getting him mad at me. Next generation AI !
He probably showed me Accolade's F1 circuit (Crammond's f1 grand prix came out a few years later) and i remember playing Rolling Thunder at his place, which i loved in the arcades and which absolutely sucked .

I got my Amiga for christmas, later that year and that was a glorious christmas morning for me and my brother...we had several games a couple of friends lent us weeks before (we made sure Santa received all our letters that year, we knew we were getting an amiga :p ) and we had been drooling over those floppies: Menace (unbelievable) Hybris (which was actually even better) Turbo Cup (uh had nice graphics. We didn't know what 'framerate' was back then) Fernandez must die (which sucked, but me and my brother must have played some co op back then) Starray (yeah, all those layers of parallax) and of course F/A 18. My brother must have played the hell out of that game, i was having fun with it too, but i remember i liked using the plane as a car, driving around on the streets without ever taking off, most of the time.
Even now i tend to compare all flight sims to F/A 18, there has never been anything quite like it.

Then again, those were the days of super ambitions 3d game concepts like starglider, damocles and frontier (running on a 7.xx Mhz cpu and fitting one 720k floppy no less) which would be perfect for today's consoles and which have completely disappeared unfortunately. At least give me a new stunt car racer, dammit.

Superfrog

MikeB said:
@ KongRudi

I grew up with Thrust on the c64 and Oids on the Atari ST as a 10 year old. Great fun! :)

Some Amiga clones I played the most:

Phoenix Fighters

Roketz (Freeware!)
These games remember me of one of my very first Amiga games: Gravity Force

Great fun for years :)

DON'T HOTLINK IMAGES

http://hol.abime.net/2789

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marc said:
Sooo true. SK is not what it was either, sadly. It has become a lot like those magazines that I never liked.
Yea, we've come a long way since classic funnies like "Vita Jela Zelenbor, stigo novi Komodor" :D

Actually I haven't seen any of those magazines for years(living mostly abroad plus I almost completely grew out of reading magazines in last 6 years or so, internet is evil in that way).

Yes, there's something to be said about the lack of exposure that's common in all of them (as well as Another World for example).
Indeed - AW shares that same element, it's imagination that plays the biggest part in transcends from a game to an experience like that, and very few games actually help spur it on.

Berzerker is quite possibly the most memorable adversary I've ever faced in a game, along some of the Collosi in SotC and the Queen in Ico.
Berserker was awesome - from the very first time you meet him (the way game relates the story through gameplay was also admirably well done), to the battles, particularly the final set of events where you either defeat him or watch him blow up Earth.
And fight with Berzerker was another paralel to the likes of Ico - where events in puzzles/battles never feel like gameplay elements, they are part of the world and story you're in.
On that note, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it now, but I seem to remember reading that Berzerker character was supposed to be from race of destroyers - machines roaming the space with their only objective being to exterminate all life. Or at least inspired by the concept - there's sci-fi series where these beings appear - but name/author escapes me :(

Interesting thing, game was remade a few years later for the PC (XF5700 Mantis) but inspite of higher budget (it even featured some live actor cinematics) the game turned out pretty awful (gameplay was nothing like the original, not to mention variety of bugs and glitches).

No idea about Joker, but Moj Mikro was a pretty damn good mag back then.
Moj Mikro was right up there with SK and Racunari for me. But it went downhill in 95-96 IIRC.

Zabojnik said:
Please don't ever again put true crap like (badly) localized gaming mags next to an authentic made in Slovenia product in the same sentence again.
You're right, I was being unfair. I mainly criticised Joker's early editions, and those were unlucky to come about around the same time when I was bitter about MojMikro turning terrible (it used to be my favourite mag when I as a kid).
I heard Joker only got better and better over the years - though as I mentioned above, I all but stopped reading magazines after Y2K.

Gowans

Rlan said:
Go god What the **** Superfrog!?! Hotlinking shenenigans!

yeah there needs to be an announcement to be careful with that stuff, the new anti-hotlinking tricks sites used make baby jesus cry!

You post it seems fine then boom tears!

The "great fun for years" comment right above the pic :lol :lol :lol

Kuran

Banned
eso76 said:
F/A 18 interceptor :)

That title screen music in F/A 18 was insanely atmospheric, I was a bit too young to really appreciate the missions and actually do well, but I loved flying around, and under that golden gate bridge. Like a text adventure, its minimal (but great) graphics gave me the illusion that the world was infinite, if only I flew long enough. It was the perfect game to play with my childlike imagination, gaming became a lucid dream at times.

The same can be said about Test Drive. I never stopped believing that if only I drove long enough, I would eventually see a change of scenery. The ironic thing was that, of course you could only drive along that same narrow mountain road.

F18_interceptor.gif

amiga41.jpg

dejay

Banned
Hah - I PMed Superfrog in an attempt to get him to edit his post before the ban hammer came down. Oh well, I did read somewhere that remote linking was the poster's responsibility.

Kuran said:
That title screen music in F/A 18 was insanely atmospheric, I was a bit too young to really appreciate the missions and actually do well, but I loved flying around, and under that golden gate bridge. Like a text adventure, its minimal (but great) graphics gave me the illusion that the world was infinite, if only I flew long enough. It was the perfect game to play with my childlike imagination, gaming became a lucid dream at times.

Yeah, I used to stare at that loading screen for hours all up - I remember being wowed at the dithering employed in the afterburner of the lead aircraft, and the music was so blatantly Top Gun inspired, a favourite movie for me at the time.

I loved/hated some of the missions, like protecting Air Force 1 and shooting down the cruise missile. Electronic Arts' headquarters was represented in the game I believe. Unless I'm totally mistaken it was two wedge shaped buildings I put quite a few missiles into. Maybe I was venting future frustrations at the time without realising :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
oh man, nothing like a Warhead love fest.

I got Warhead and Millennium 2.2 at the exact same time and i switched between the two, playing them both obsessively.

One of the most enjoyable periods of gaming i've ever had.

.dmc

Banned
Cruise For A Corpse

Never got to finish this one because my friend with an Amiga moved away :( Was back in the day of my complete obsession with point + clickers, this was about the only 'serious' (ie. non-SCUMM) I played. I seemed to remember it having some primitive 3d, but maybe my memory has been completely rosetinted on that one..

Apart from CFAC, I loved me some Zool + some Lemmings2, good times were had.

MikeB

Banned
@ .dmc

Cruise For A Corpse

A very nice detective adventure which reminded me somewhat of the Detective on the c64, but with excellent graphics.

Cruise for a Corpse

Cruise%20for%20a%20Corpse1.png

Cruise%20for%20a%20Corpse3.png

Cruise%20for%20a%20Corpse7.png

Other great adventure games, I loved playing (For me Monkey Island 2 was the best):

Beneath a Steel Sky

430_2_full.jpg

Amiga Longplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFkCiwivHo

Simon the Soreceror II

070a.jpg

Amiga Longplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6QKTEVJiX8

Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis

IndianaJonesAndTheFateOfAtlantis.png

Amiga Longplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84GMIxOJrw